Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

That's true. Hank Aaron has an entire large room in Cooperstown. The very next room has a very small little pedestal with the Barry Bonds' home run ball that broke the all-time home run record previously held by Aaron. The ball has an asterisk etched into it by the previous owner of the ball before he donated it to the Hall. Next to this display is a larger display about Sadaharu Oh, the Japanese player who is the world-wide home run king, but never played in MLB, only in Nippon Professional Baseball. Anyway, the point is that the message by the Hall of Fame is loud and clear.

And the message is bullshit. I mean, look: at the time Bonds, Sosa, McGwuire, etc. played (or at least in the early days), there was no rule against steroid use. I believe the ban was first agreed to by the league and the union in 2004 or 2005. Not to mention that MLB was positively dead from 1994 to June or July 1998. If it weren't for the people that the BWAA is now fighting tooth and nail to ignore, there would be no more MLB as we know it, in all likelihood. Sosa, McGwire, Griffey, and Bonds rescued the game from the brink of destruction, and they deserve to be recognized. You don't get to use these guys to save the game and then treat them like villains after they do what you asked them to.

that is a good point. Its the same way the league looked the other way when players were using amphetamines and may have caused steve belchers death, it took another what? 5 years to ban amphetamines. how many stolen base records were inflated due to the use of amphetamines(and cocaine)?

Congrats to the Royals for beating a very talented Met's team. When you look at the Royals on paper they look like a .500 team at best with no real superstars but they have that something special that makes them a tough team to beat.

Feel for the Met fans but if it is any consolation they have an incredible young pitching staff who will only get better. they just need to sign some decent offensive players and they should contend for years.

As a Yankee fan I hope Hal Steinbrenner allows Cashman to continue to build with youth and shrewd trades and resists the temptation to sign more big money players. In a couple of years we will have Tex and Sabathia off the books and give the kids a chance and allow them to go after some good roll players.

Part of being the better team is not allowing errors and stupid things to happen. The Royals basically didn't. So they were the better team. I think that the Mets have more talent and ability in them, but to be a real professional and a real tough team to beat, you have to allow that talent and ability out on a consistent basis. It's better to be an 8 out of 10 team all the time than a 10 out of 10 team 50% of the time and a 5 out of 10 team the rest of the time. The Mets were a 5 out of 10 team this World Series.

It was very painful to watch, because I knew the Mets could be the better team, and with just a couple things turning out different, the Mets would have won in 5 games instead. If baseball was an 8 inning game instead of a 9 inning game, we'd be talking about the NY Mets as World Champions right now.

But I'm just glad it's over. Having your favorite team in the postseason is stressful and now I can move on with life, lol.

As a Yankee fan I have lived this scenario ever since George Steinbrenner became the majority share holder in the Yankees.

Every year he would buy talented players in F.A. thinking if he fielded an Allstar team he would walk away with a ring. I can't tell you how many times I thought the Yankees had the best team on paper only to see them crash and burn come playoff time.

The Royals, and the SF Giants before them, are proof that the sum is stronger then the individual pieces in baseball. While the Royals do not look like much on paper they have just the right talent and chemistry to make it all work together.

The Mets to me looked like a better team on paper but the Royals had the mojo this year. Unless your young pitchers start getting hurt the Mets have a very bright future indeed so you should get more chances at the ring.

Cespedes is probably going to play free agency, seems likely that Murphy will too. I'll be curious to see what the playoff run did for their relative values - huge in getting the Mets to the Show, then both absolutely disappeared and contributed downright horrendous mistakes to kill the team when it mattered most.

I'm excited to see what the Cubs will do. With Fowler likely walking away, we'll be looking to add a big outfield bat - perhaps we could be where Cespedes lands. Heyward's also going to be out there, but right field is Eddy Julio Martinez' natural position so we may not want to go the Heyward route. As for pitching.... Oh man. Zimmerman, Greinke, Lackey, Price all available. We are going to have an enormous offseason. Can't wait for it to get started.

price would look good in a cubs uniform ;)

greinke will probably go to a small market team or stay with the dodgers.

The existing relationship with Maddon makes me think he's the most likely of the pitchers. Lackey is old, Greinke is gonna have too much bargaining power coming off of a top-2 Cy Young season. Zimmerman is a bit of a wildcard, could see him going lots of places. But the draw for Price is strongest, so my money is on him. Not a bad #3 starter, eh?
  • Like 1

Part of being the better team is not allowing errors and stupid things to happen. The Royals basically didn't. So they were the better team. I think that the Mets have more talent and ability in them, but to be a real professional and a real tough team to beat, you have to allow that talent and ability out on a consistent basis. It's better to be an 8 out of 10 team all the time than a 10 out of 10 team 50% of the time and a 5 out of 10 team the rest of the time. The Mets were a 5 out of 10 team this World Series.

It was very painful to watch, because I knew the Mets could be the better team, and with just a couple things turning out different, the Mets would have won in 5 games instead. If baseball was an 8 inning game instead of a 9 inning game, we'd be talking about the NY Mets as World Champions right now.

But I'm just glad it's over. Having your favorite team in the postseason is stressful and now I can move on with life, lol.

That's actually a great description.

The royals ground it out. From the lead off hitter to the number 9 hitter - from the first batter to the bottom of the 9th - they grind it out. The delayed steals. The comebacks. The taking extra bases and making the Mets throw the ball around and commit errors.

The Royals are a perfect example of a bunch of guys playing team baseball and not caring who gets the glory. I also like how they don't just back and wait for guys to hit home runs.

They are essentially the San Antonio Spurs of baseball.

Will be fun to watch what happens to those four young pitchers of the Mets. Do they turn into the next Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz? Or will injuries and egos stunt their development?

And it is funny that the last two teams only had one high salary pitcher. But teams are going to give up a fortune for the top pitching free agents. None of the Mets starters made over 1.5 million dollars a year - Grienke is going to cost 25 million for six years.

At the start of the season the Royals were 30-1 underdogs to win the World Series. That's pretty amazing considering they went to the Series the prior year.

There is a story on Yahoo about a professional gambler named Dave who won 2.5 million dollars with the Royals winning the Series.

30-1 odds on one of the two Series participants from the prior year? Crazy.

At the start of the season the Royals were 30-1 underdogs to win the World Series. That's pretty amazing considering they went to the Series the prior year.

There is a story on Yahoo about a professional gambler named Dave who won 2.5 million dollars with the Royals winning the Series.

30-1 odds on one of the two Series participants from the prior year? Crazy.

Vegas odds are super dumb. The Cubs were at 20-1 after hiring Maddon and 12-1 by the time the season started after the Lester signing. Just making the playoffs was total overachievement for them, and 12-1 was beyond generous to their chances (granted the Cubs ended up getting way closer than I expected). 30-1 was an outstanding bet to take. If I'd been in Vegas, I'd have much sooner put my money on the Royals than the Cubs.

Jays pick up club options for Dickey, Bautista, and Encarnacion.

Rumours are that they'll try to trade Tulo as they have a lot of depth up the middle currently. Not sure how they'll get someone to take Tulo's contract.

With AA gone from the front office and Shapiro running things, it's a foregone conclusion that they're not even going to attempt to resign Price. It was a long shot anyway, but having Shapiro run player-personnel until, or if, they hire a proper GM means no big signings in the off seasons. Jays have a lot of money coming off the books with Romero and Buehrle contracts wrapping up this year. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll reinvest it back into the ball club.

I think if the Jays can shore up the bullpen and resign Estrada they should be competitive next year. It was a lot of fun finally watching some meaningful baseball come September in Toronto and the city truly went crazy in a way that I don't think I've ever seen before. It would be great to see the Jays contend again next year but I'm prepared for a return to mediocrity considering the owners prioritizing making money over winning.

The question I would have is would you really want to invest $25 mill a season in a long term deal for Price? Great regular season pitcher but he has been a bust in the post season. Don't know if I would invest that kind of $$$ in someone who is not a stopper in the post season

good point but going to the NL would definitely help plus having lester and arrieta ahead of him in the rotation would take the pressure off him. I would have no problem giving price the ball as a 3rd starter in a series.

the nationals fucking up the bud black situation land dusty baker as manager.

Edited by bran

The question I would have is would you really want to invest $25 mill a season in a long term deal for Price? Great regular season pitcher but he has been a bust in the post season. Don't know if I would invest that kind of $$$ in someone who is not a stopper in the post season

could point but going to the NL would definitely help plus having lester and arrieta ahead of him in the rotation would take the pressure off him. I would have no problem giving price the ball as a 3rd starter in a series.

The Nats offered Black $1.6mil on a short term deal. it would have been less insulting to just literally slap him in the face.

could point but going to the NL would definitely help plus having lester and arrieta ahead of him in the rotation would take the pressure off him. I would have no problem giving price the ball as a 3rd starter in a series.

short term he would make the Cubbies tough to beat but Lester is making big $$$ and Arrieta is arbitration eligable the next 2 years so he will get nice pay hikes coming from the $3.6 Mill he was paid this year. If you give Price 7 year deal, I doubt he takes less years, for $25 Mill a year will they have enought to pay Arrieta when he goes FA?

But on the other had if Price puts them over the top and they win 1-2 rings the next 1-3 years maybe it is worth it...... :shrugs:

Jays pick up club options for Dickey, Bautista, and Encarnacion.

Rumours are that they'll try to trade Tulo as they have a lot of depth up the middle currently. Not sure how they'll get someone to take Tulo's contract.

With AA gone from the front office and Shapiro running things, it's a foregone conclusion that they're not even going to attempt to resign Price. It was a long shot anyway, but having Shapiro run player-personnel until, or if, they hire a proper GM means no big signings in the off seasons. Jays have a lot of money coming off the books with Romero and Buehrle contracts wrapping up this year. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll reinvest it back into the ball club.

I think if the Jays can shore up the bullpen and resign Estrada they should be competitive next year. It was a lot of fun finally watching some meaningful baseball come September in Toronto and the city truly went crazy in a way that I don't think I've ever seen before. It would be great to see the Jays contend again next year but I'm prepared for a return to mediocrity considering the owners prioritizing making money over winning.

Just looked at Tulo's contract and he will be getting a base of $20 Mill next 4 years then it drops to $14 mill in 2020 and a club option the year after at $15 mill when he will 37 yrs old. Great player, when healthy, but unless the Jays are willing to eat some significant money that will be a tough contract to move I think.

short term he would make the Cubbies tough to beat but Lester is making big $$$ and Arrieta is arbitration eligable the next 2 years so he will get nice pay hikes coming from the $3.6 Mill he was paid this year. If you give Price 7 year deal, I doubt he takes less years, for $25 Mill a year will they have enought to pay Arrieta when he goes FA?

But on the other had if Price puts them over the top and they win 1-2 rings the next 1-3 years maybe it is worth it...... :shrugs:

I mean, that's the measure of success for the Cubs at this point. If we get a ring in the next few years, moves are worth it. If we don't, they're not.

I would probably rather sign Lackey for a few years, add a second middle-tier arm, and for sure lock down Arrieta. Failing that, I say extend him now. His price tag will only go up. It's a gamble, certainly, but way higher reward than risk.

Money isn't a problem. Ticket price hike and a full season of sell outs in the finally-revamped park is all you need. We have $$ to burn, so I think we can keep Arrieta and land Price. Not the most economical use of resources, but all worth it if we get that ring.