Stan Collymore vs Rangers Fans

fred_carston

#letthepeoplesing
Caveman and ex-kicker of football Stan Collymore is playing a very dangerous game by coming out Pro-Celtic and Anti-Rangers, which has lead to a war of words on twitter about
Religion, Racism etc and has made Scottish singer and Rangers fan Amy MacDonald speak out against Stan. The Pro Collymore/Celtic side have adopted this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C9YVZT...dm_ws_tlw_trk2 as their song. But you know what its only gonna put the spotlight well and truly on Collymore and to stir the pot its the best 99p you could spend this week.

One person that'll be happy with this unexpected exposure is this man https://twitter.com/patchessell
from pub singer to chart star because of some dim ex- footballers argument = silver lining.

Check out the #LETTHEPEOPLESING

The man has every right to continue with battling against what he feels is inappropriate and offensive to his background and beliefs.

Every club has a section of their support who are absolute roasters, but this mob are a bit more renowned for their antics wherever and whenever they go abroad, and this is dating back to the early 1900's. Collymore is a bit of a wank, let's not bat around the bush, but I do respect his opinions regarding what he feels is inappropriate behavior and something that he himself will not be associated with, especially given what the Club formerly known as Rangers once stood for, and now it's offspring which has the same support, also think they stand for.

Whether it be the club from 1872 or the one created in 2012, one thing always remains the same:

IMG_1526-1.jpg

Makes no difference to me.

That said -- I love Rangers. Always were my second favourite team and certainly my favourite scottish team (albeit have a strange connection to Alloa Athletic by proxy!).

Been to 2 old firms -- both Celtic and rangers fans were equally moronic on those occasions. Some men I kept looking at DIDNT watch a minute of football -- just concentrated on opposing fans being vile back and acting like complete cocks.

That said -- I love Rangers. Always were my second favourite team and certainly my favourite scottish team (albeit have a strange connection to Alloa Athletic by proxy!).

Sorry to hear of your misfortune!

I'm from Stirling, so that's the local derby. There has been a few interesting occasions when I've been at those derby's.

I'm from Stirling, so that's the local derby. There has been a few interesting occasions when I've been at those derby's.

East stirling or stirling athletic? (Have I even got that right?)

Who plays by the holiday inn express near stirling mate? It's got a pub attached to it, stayed there a LONG time ago

Season ticket holder at Rangers. Have I ever shown the slightest sign of being racist?

Ha, erm.... We don't know have you?

Thought you were Celtic for some reason.

Plenty of Gers fans I know voted Yes, including people who stand around me at Ibrox... Amy MacDonald, quoted in the OP, voted yes. Her boyfriend, who plays for Rangers voted yes... John Reid, on the Celtic board was a prominent advocate of the "no" vote. There was no binary yes/no split between Rangers and Celtic fans apart from maybe the "vocal minorities" that you hear about causing the sectarian trouble between the two clubs.

Which way did all those chaps with the Union Jack flags vote one wonders? Come on, Rangers are about as Unionist as it gets. I mean even the English do not use the Union Jack much at football games these days; the St George's flag is much more popular. Don't they sing songs about the Battle of the Boyne?

How many Union flags are in that photo, in comparison to how many people? How can you claim to know the political opinion of them all? If you'd accept a bit of nuance to your demographics then you could appreciate that there's more to either support than meets the eye. Some people need to see things according to that boring ProtestantUnionistLoyalist/CatholicNationalistRepublican binary, and in Northern Ireland, that might be the case but its really not in Scotland, our society is far too messy for that.

I'm an atheist, raised Church of Scotland, republican, supporter of Scottish independence, social democrat and Rangers fan, totally happy with and proud of all of that.

How many Union flags are in that photo, in comparison to how many people? How can you claim to know the political opinion of them all? If you'd accept a bit of nuance to your demographics then you could appreciate that there's more to either support than meets the eye. Some people need to see things according to that boring ProtestantUnionistLoyalist/CatholicNationalistRepublican binary, and in Northern Ireland, that might be the case but its really not in Scotland, our society is far too messy for that.

I'm an atheist, raised Church of Scotland, republican, supporter of Scottish independence, social democrat and Rangers fan, totally happy with and proud of all of that.

I have never been to Ibrox but that photo seems to be a large part of one stand (which would be, 1/4 of the ground?). I count six gigantic union flags. It does seem a large segment of the crowd.

You have to remember that unveiling a flag over people, and near people, doesn't just signify the 2-4 people holding it. It represents a sort of consensus (of what the flag represents) in that crowd. Could a Celtic fan get away with unveiling an Union Jack? Not if he values his life.

Common perceptions are certainly not always right.

We can't count how many ger fans are racist bigots - but as an avid and fairly knowledgable football fan I'd say it's not more In percentage terms than Celtic, liverpool, Newcastle, Alloa, etc etc.

Half these monkeys haven't got a fucking clue what they're shouting about other than (Rangers example) orange and a union jack; signing God save the queen annoys Celtic fans. I've always felt football critics give these muppets far too much credence and credit for somehow having 'political views' ? Lol..... ERM no!

Graeme -- I know sorry man! I'm not overly observant!

Edited by UK SUBS

East stirling or stirling athletic? (Have I even got that right?)

Who plays by the holiday inn express near stirling mate? It's got a pub attached to it, stayed there a LONG time ago

Stirling Albion mate.

That pub you speak of seems to change name every other month!

Off topic, but Bill Shankly's brother managed them in the 60's/70's. Their original stadium was called Annfield.

Dies', I go there nearly every week... Please credit me with a bit of knowledge of my own culture.

As for the picture, that's Celtic Park for starters. Also, you don't see many Saltires among the Celtic support either...

Fly's proudly above the stadium, as long as it's there that's all that matters. Away European ties are when you mostly see the Saltire and the Tri-colour,

Football fans are generally fairly moronic anyway. Did anyone see those Chelsea louts on the Paris metro?

It's been happening with that lot for years. They've always had a section of fans that are right-wing nutters.

Dies', I go there nearly every week... Please credit me with a bit of knowledge of my own culture.

As for the picture, that's Celtic Park for starters. Also, you don't see many Saltires among the Celtic support either...

Fly's proudly above the stadium, as long as it's there that's all that matters. Away European ties are when you mostly see the Saltire and the Tri-colour,

Football fans are generally fairly moronic anyway. Did anyone see those Chelsea louts on the Paris metro?

It's been happening with that lot for years. They've always had a section of fans that are right-wing nutters.

Is that Chelsea specific though? In East Europe they still throw bananas on the field. In spain they still do monkey chants. And moving outside racism, there was a Newcastle fan punching a police horse! Wouldn't happen with cricket fans, or Rugby fans, or any other sports fans.

Alright alright, fair enough. But can you at least agree with me that there is a common perception that Rangers equate, unionism, and that this common perception springs from our views of a vocal and large segment of the Rangers fan base?

Absolutely. I never tried to contest your point there, but Rangers are the club with the biggest support in the country, I was just pointing out that we're a broad enough church for me to feel I have a place in the stadium.

2czwqhu.jpg

Dean, it flies over Ibrox too, and is not alien among the support, it even featured on the strip a few seasons ago.

Historically, there were were poor Irish migrating to Glasgow in the 19th century. Rangers fans were culled from Presbyterian Irishmen, whereas Celtic drew their support from Irish Catholics. Presbyterianism found itself most theologically dynamically opposed to Catholicism because of orthodox predestination. It didn't help that there was a religious split in Scotland already, between Lowland Calvinism (which had allied itself with the 18th century Hanovrian Settlement) and Highland Catholicism (which allied itself with the Jacobites). Then you throw on top of that mixture, twentieth century Anglo-Irish history, Presbyterianism allying itself with Unionism, Catholicism, Republicanism.

It is rather ironic really because Scottish Presbyterians provided the bulk of the original 17th century Irish 'plantations', accounting for today's protestants of Northern Ireland. It is almost like, (partially), history reversing itself.

Edited by DieselDaisy