Guns should be bigger than Metallica

fred_carston

Honestly, (this is just me talking here, not trying to create some sort of heated duscussion, lol). But everything Lenny said about UYI could that not also translate to the Black album? I think many people seem to really over state that album's enduring qualities. If I'm to be honest about it, it's one great song, a couple of pretty good songs and the rest is filler. Obviously I'm bias, but I think UYI pisses all over it, especially if it had been 1 album. But Appetite literally eats and shits out the black album. I could go on and compare it to great albums by many artists, and I'm sorry but the black album will fall short every freaking time.

I'm not saying it is a bad album, but sales imo are the only reason why it is considered a "classic" not because of the actual music. Hell look at Back in Black, it's got you shook me all night long, back in black, and hells bells plus plenty of quality filler tracks. Same goes for Zep 2,4 VH 1, 1984, PinkFloyds best, etc etc.

I just don't feel that album really belongs in the "all time" great category. So when I hear people say that "use your illusions was popular because of it's time, not because of its quality" is that not also true of the black album? It just seems like the work they did in the 80s, helped them build a following, than as someone else said, the music video for one finally got them on mmtv that they could have released Death Magnetic next and it probably would have sold 8 to 10 million.

I guess the fact that even among Metallica fans, it is considered a lesser work just adds to my point. I personally love Ride the lightning, I think it owns the black album in every way. Again, enter sandman combined with Metallica previous albums is why that album is HUGE, not because of the album it's self.

Thoughts?

I was at that magical age of around 12 years old when the UYI albums and the Black album came out, and alongside RHCP's BloodSugarSexMagic it seemed that everybody I knew who was into hard and heavy music had at least one of those albums, they were everywhere.

You're lucky to find anybody on the internet who admits to liking the Black album these days, it's like it went from hero to zero over the years.

I must admit, it's not an album that I own or have listened to of my own volition since 1995 or so.

Just in my own neck of the woods, GNR became incredibly uncool around 94- all of a sudden nobody wore the tee shirts or had their logo on their pencil case or whatever...Metallica and RHCP seemed to survive that though.

Honestly, (this is just me talking here, not trying to create some sort of heated duscussion, lol). But everything Lenny said about UYI could that not also translate to the Black album? I think many people seem to really over state that album's enduring qualities. If I'm to be honest about it, it's one great song, a couple of pretty good songs and the rest is filler. Obviously I'm bias, but I think UYI pisses all over it, especially if it had been 1 album. But Appetite literally eats and shits out the black album. I could go on and compare it to great albums by many artists, and I'm sorry but the black album will fall short every freaking time.

I'm not saying it is a bad album, but sales imo are the only reason why it is considered a "classic" not because of the actual music. Hell look at Back in Black, it's got you shook me all night long, back in black, and hells bells plus plenty of quality filler tracks. Same goes for Zep 2,4 VH 1, 1984, PinkFloyds best, etc etc.

I just don't feel that album really belongs in the "all time" great category. So when I hear people say that "use your illusions was popular because of it's time, not because of its quality" is that not also true of the black album? It just seems like the work they did in the 80s, helped them build a following, than as someone else said, the music video for one finally got them on mmtv that they could have released Death Magnetic next and it probably would have sold 8 to 10 million.

I guess the fact that even among Metallica fans, it is considered a lesser work just adds to my point. I personally love Ride the lightning, I think it owns the black album in every way. Again, enter sandman combined with Metallica previous albums is why that album is HUGE, not because of the album it's self.

Thoughts?

Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, & ...And Justice for All are better albums. Black Album is still damn good itself and much, much better than anything else they've done in the last 20 years.

Metallica is more of a metal band where GnR had more variety. With GnR you had heavy hits like YCBM and Civil War but also ballads like Patience and November Rain.

Metallica got so big because there weren't many good metal bands like them at the time. GnR got a collection of fans from all different genres. Your really can't compare the two. It would be like comparing Queen to Five Finger Death Punch. Across the board, GnR is one of the biggest bands out there. Had Axl played his cards right, he could've made the new band even bigger.

At this point GnR has become a joke in many peoples eyes. Metallica actively releases new music. We've gotten one album and a song in 20 years along with a revolving door of musicians. If Axl got in the studio and kept a solid lineup, the band could have a couple hits and be big again. I a lot of you guys don't like Ashba, but the guy has had some hits with Sixx. AM, I'm sure he could make some with GnR. Rock radio is desperate for good music. Really the only bands out there with hits right now are Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, Foo Fighters, Sixx. AM, and the Pretty Reckless.

The world needs Axl Rose. The world needs GnR in any shape or form.

I think guns should be bigger than The Beatles. Why not? If Axl had just released an album every second year, like Michael Monroe, of equal quality as AFD, guns would be better. I just don't understand why that hasn't happened.

Probably because Axl is not as good as John Lennon.

Guns bigger than the Beatles!! What drugs have you been on?

I got some from Apollo.

I think guns should be bigger than The Beatles. Why not? If Axl had just released an album every second year, like Michael Monroe, of equal quality as AFD, guns would be better. I just don't understand why that hasn't happened.

[...]

You are mocking something that is actually true.

I know you are true.
Zing!!!! I just got educated and ridiculed in one post! You definitely win!!!! Good job, bro.

Now back on topic?

Metallica is more of a metal band where GnR had more variety. With GnR you had heavy hits like YCBM and Civil War but also ballads like Patience and November Rain.

Metallica got so big because there weren't many good metal bands like them at the time. GnR got a collection of fans from all different genres. Your really can't compare the two. It would be like comparing Queen to Five Finger Death Punch. Across the board, GnR is one of the biggest bands out there. Had Axl played his cards right, he could've made the new band even bigger.

At this point GnR has become a joke in many peoples eyes. Metallica actively releases new music. We've gotten one album and a song in 20 years along with a revolving door of musicians. If Axl got in the studio and kept a solid lineup, the band could have a couple hits and be big again. I a lot of you guys don't like Ashba, but the guy has had some hits with Sixx. AM, I'm sure he could make some with GnR. Rock radio is desperate for good music. Really the only bands out there with hits right now are Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, Foo Fighters, Sixx. AM, and the Pretty Reckless.

The world needs Axl Rose. The world needs GnR in any shape or form.

Great post.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to choose, I'd much rather listen to Chinese Democracy than Metallica's 2000's output. Not one song from Lulu was listenable.

It's a Lou Reed album with Metallica backing him. I wouldn't want someone doing spoken word over Call of Ktulu or Orion.

It wasn't even a good Lou Reed album.