Guns should be bigger than Metallica

fred_carston

Even at GN'R's height when they were a working, pretty much functional band, GN'R were never bigger than Metallica though. The Black Album way outsold the UYI albums combined and even outsold AFD...To have been bigger than Metallica would've meant GN'R would've had to go to the utterly commercial '90s Aerosmith route with albums after the UYIs.

I always thought the Metallica/GNR tour was ill fated from the very beginning. Two totally different fanbases and 2 totally different bands. Plus, Metallica are not a band that is easily followed, especially during that time. The shows I saw on that tour, Metallica blew GNR away.

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

GnR were the biggest rock band for a few years. If they dont exist anymore, it is their fault... After, sure AFD and the Illusions are great albums and there is more groove and rock n'roll in their music than metallica's' , more interesting guitar playing (interplay izzy-slash). They could have been the new rolling stones with many (quality) albums, but we all know the story. But Metallica deserves its success... They have solid songs, many materiel. They have some legendary albums (3 first albums, the black album), they tour intensively, change often their setlist, have come back to heavier sound on album and onstage... In a perfect world, Gnr would have realeased 7 albums full of great rock n'roll with slash, izzy, duff... And yes, would be always the biggest band in the world

Edited by nico_france

I always thought the Metallica/GNR tour was ill fated from the very beginning. Two totally different fanbases and 2 totally different bands. Plus, Metallica are not a band that is easily followed, especially during that time. The shows I saw on that tour, Metallica blew GNR away.

Not only that, but two very big sets of egos. You have James who is IMO an egomaniac and kind of a douche and Axl who is a loon and an asshole. Not a good combo for a successful tour.

• Like 1

Metallica made and continue to make GNR look like a joke, Slash admitted he felt embarrassed during that tour.

You mightn't like Metallica, but you couldn't get a better example of a band that looks after it's fans and with Guns (Axl) you couldn't get a worse example.

Let the butthurt flow...

• Like 2

Metallica made and continue to make GNR look like a joke, Slash admitted he felt embarrassed during that tour.

You mightn't like Metallica, but you couldn't get a better example of a band that looks after it's fans and with Guns (Axl) you couldn't get a worse example.

Let the butthurt flow...

I don't see how in 1992 Metallica made GN'R look like a joke. Now? Of course. But in '92 GN'R were at their (IMHO) live and popularity peak. I think Slash is just being humble. I like Metallica in the studio but that thrash stuff doesn't play as well live. They also have no groove, no swing. Their music is great for depth but not any fun.

Metallica fans were rabid during their live performances during that time period. They were into the music and acted on it on a level other bands could only dream of.

I'm not a big Metallica fan, then or now, but their live show was much more coherent and enjoyable. Their songs may have been long but there was never any lull. With GNR, there were endless, interminable guitar solos, piano solos, fucking drum solos, horn section solos for fuck sake, all these little tidbits before songs that just made everything drag....Axl's "band" still does this stuff today...and the show just lags and lags instead of song after song after song and keeping the crowd into it instead of giving them multiple bathroom breaks

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

GN'R were bigger than Metallica will ever be ... and that's due to Axl's vision ... Izzy wanted GN'R to be a bar band and Slash never was a fan of the epics ... unfortunately, looks like Axl couldn't keep it that big, alone, for too much long ...

Edit: No doubt Metallica is bigger than GN'R today ...

Edited by GUNNER PT
  • Like 2

Metallica fans were rabid during their live performances during that time period. They were into the music and acted on it on a level other bands could only dream of.

I'm not a big Metallica fan, then or now, but their live show was much more coherent and enjoyable. Their songs may have been long but there was never any lull. With GNR, there were endless, interminable guitar solos, piano solos, fucking drum solos, horn section solos for fuck sake, all these little tidbits before songs that just made everything drag....Axl's "band" still does this stuff today...and the show just lags and lags instead of song after song after song and keeping the crowd into it instead of giving them multiple bathroom breaks

metallica built a fanbase in the underground that was hardcore and loyal and these fans propelled them to become a big name before the black album released. gnr fanbase was built with some hardcore fans but with a good number of casuals that wanted to heart he ballads. even though im not a fan of the black album, metallica still showed the work ethic and a drive to make music and it payed off for them with new fans and an album that is regarded as a classic album. gnr worked hard on their one album made it rich and then became a runaway cliche of rockstar memes. if gnr worked hard at their music instead of worrying about money, whose name the band belonged to, drugs, massive egos etc they would be right there with metallica today. metallica had issues with ego and drugs and they had moments of falling out and looked silly with the some kind of monster documentary it never killed the band and they are still going strong today.

• Like 3

There is no such thing as 'should be'. There is reality and thats it and you are judged upon and defined by what you actually do. Should be is illusory, its an idea you have about something that you can't validate in any way cuz the shit never happened. In reality you have one band that did what they were supposed to do and one that didn't. And thats all there is.

Guns n Roses 'should be' bigger than Metallica...why exactly? Did they put in the work? No, did they consistently release quality material and serve their audience? No. What you all really mean is i like GnR better than Metallica and it burns me up that they made an arse of it while lesser bands occupy a higher ground to which i say well we all know whoose fault that is and he goes by the name of ginger bollocks.

Guns n Roses categorically should not be bigger because they don't deserve to be...based on action. And i say this as someone who once liked GnR and has always thought Metallica were absolutely fucking dreadful.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

There is no such thing as 'should be'. There is reality and thats it and you are judged upon and defined by what you actually do. Should be is illusory, its an idea you have about something that you can't validate in any way cuz the shit never happened. In reality you have one band that did what they were supposed to do and one that didn't. And thats all there is.

Guns n Roses 'should be' bigger than Metallica...why exactly? Did they put in the work? No, did they consistently release quality material and serve their audience? No. What you all really mean is i like GnR better than Metallica and it burns me up that they made an arse of it while lesser bands occupy a higher ground to which i say well we all know whoose fault that is and he goes by the name of ginger bollocks.

Guns n Roses categorically should not be bigger because they don't deserve to be...based on action. And i say this as someone who once liked GnR and has always thought Metallica were absolutely fucking dreadful.

i owe you a like for this :lol:

I've never really cared for Metallica. Never really understood the love. None of them individually or collectively strike me as being better than Guns N' Roses from a song writing aspect or live. I have always said that the lack of material is the only downfall that prevents GNR being held in the same breath as The Stones, Zeppelin etc...and as a fan, you always want your team to be respected right? Either way, none of the bands I've mentioned in this post come close to GNR in my eyes. You can rhyme all the facts, numbers all you like, my ears tell me different!

Fuck you, Axl Rose

metallica built a fanbase in the underground that was hardcore and loyal and these fans propelled them to become a big name before the black album released. gnr fanbase was built with some hardcore fans but with a good number of casuals that wanted to heart he ballads. even though im not a fan of the black album, metallica still showed the work ethic and a drive to make music and it payed off for them with new fans and an album that is regarded as a classic album. gnr worked hard on their one album made it rich and then became a runaway cliche of rockstar memes. if gnr worked hard at their music instead of worrying about money, whose name the band belonged to, drugs, massive egos etc they would be right there with metallica today. metallica had issues with ego and drugs and they had moments of falling out and looked silly with the some kind of monster documentary it never killed the band and they are still going strong today.

Yep. Metallica built their fanbase from the ground up and with each album and tour, got bigger and bigger and earned respect by putting it the work and effort and didn't rest on their previous success. They continued to put in the work and progress and build a bigger fanbase. GNR built a large part of their fanbase thru MTV, got popular and then did every cliche in the book.

Huge underground band, I believe bands like Metallica and GnR in the late 80's paved the way for the likes of Nirvana, Alice In Chains etc. Metallica switched to Alternative Hard Rock in the 90's. Lars drums on St Anger are laughable, the whole Napster ordeal make the band a joke for a while and St Anger had three good songs, tops. I did like Death Magnetic. That Lulu album another laughable release. If GnR reunited, and Axl had that 2006 vibe going they would trample all over Metallica.