Guns should be bigger than Metallica

fred_carston

If Michael can put out quality albums every couple of years..........

Then everyone else should be able to do that!!! Godammit!
Simmer down big boy, no need to swear. But yes. If Michael can put out quality albums every couple year and still sound great, then certainly can as well.

It's not about ability. It's about wanting to do it the way most musicians release music and Axl doesn't care about what is considered normal. Got his own fucked up process, all the power and control and it takes years until he gets there.

Doesn't matter who is bigger... both bands put great music out there for people to enjoy.

However, generally, Metallica fans are boring and depressed people. I prefer GN'R fans, they are often more energetic, more passionate. Metallica fans are weird metal fans with poor tastes in music. GN'R fans are more open-minded, listen to everything. Just something I noticed through the years.

That being said, some GN'R fans are retards, especially the ones who state that GN'R died somewhere in the 90's. These people are fucked up. But globally, they are great. Can't say the same for Metallica fans, they all seem stupid as hell.

As for the music, it's a tie really, GN'R is raw energy, passionate, Metallica is more technical, more subtle. I like both, I'd choose GN'R if I had to pick one, and as for live shows, GN'R (old or new) blows away Metallica, there's just no comparison, Metallica is dead boring live, although the setlist rotates a lot more. They just don't have as many good songs, and Hetfield is just very, very good in the studio, he looks like a robot live, and his charisma isn't anywhere near Axl's.

Ultimately, the only thing interesting to compare is their frontman. Axl is much more unique and interesting than Hetfield ever was. People who really understand that are interesting. Hence, this may be why Metallica fans are boring and are never charismatic. Sorry for summarizing things this way, but it's true.

Axl's just a f@cked up complicated human being - but ain't (almost) all geniuses like that...?

Axl is no genius. I don't know the guy so I don't know how complicated he is if at all. Seems to have a lot of unsorted mental issues that hinders real progress most of the time.

Doesn't matter who is bigger... both bands put great music out there for people to enjoy.

However, generally, Metallica fans are boring and depressed people. I prefer GN'R fans, they are often more energetic, more passionate. Metallica fans are weird metal fans with poor tastes in music. GN'R fans are more open-minded, listen to everything. Just something I noticed through the years.

That being said, some GN'R fans are retards, especially the ones who state that GN'R died somewhere in the 90's. These people are fucked up. But globally, they are great. Can't say the same for Metallica fans, they all seem stupid as hell.

As for the music, it's a tie really, GN'R is raw energy, passionate, Metallica is more technical, more subtle. I like both, I'd choose GN'R if I had to pick one, and as for live shows, GN'R (old or new) blows away Metallica, there's just no comparison, Metallica is dead boring live, although the setlist rotates a lot more. They just don't have as many good songs, and Hetfield is just very, very good in the studio, he looks like a robot live, and his charisma isn't anywhere near Axl's.

Ultimately, the only thing interesting to compare is their frontman. Axl is much more unique and interesting than Hetfield ever was. People who really understand that are interesting. Hence, this may be why Metallica fans are boring and are never charismatic. Sorry for summarizing things this way, but it's true.

Posts like this make all GnR fans look insane
  • Like 2

Metallica deserves what they have now because they put in the work.

Sure, Death Magnetic was 7 years ago (same as Chidem) but look what they've done since-

Their own festival

A full theatrical movie

An EP of unreleased, original songs

A Collaboration album

Anniversary shows

Big 4 shows

Reunions with past members

Music videos

Major events- festival headlining, the Grammys, and the RNRHOF (with Jason)

Several live albums and films

Several tours with lots of different songs

Black Album, Ride the Lightning, and Kill em All played in full at times

Not to mention, they have always been fan friendly. They offered lots of updates when they were working on DM, toured consistently, etc.

If you look at GNR's output since 2008-

Several tours (UCAP and adding some cool songs like Estranged, Civil War, etc is commendable)

Vegas Residencies

DVD/BluRay

Major Events- A few festival headline gigs (3 of which were disasters), the Golden Gods (disaster), skipping the HOF

If you compare the two bands since 1993, it becomes even more laughable. I'm not even going to mention the "how many classic guys" are in each lineup, either. Metallica's had tons of misfires, too. LuLu and St. Anger suck imo, but at least they continue to try new things and remain active and transparent. They're even honest about DM's follow up.

I love GNR/NuGNR, but Metallica deserves their success more imo

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

Axl's just a f@cked up complicated human being - but ain't (almost) all geniuses like that...?

Well, apparently not Michael Monroe!

Glad to see you are attempting to add comedian to your perceived role as the forum educator and one who must ridicule and win!!!

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

The defense some people often use to defend Axl's lack of musical output is that other famous artists are now waiting 5-6 years between releases. I was simply pointing out that legendary Michael Monroe is putting out an album every two years. And that the last two albums received a lot of critical praise, and that Monroe still sounds great even though he turns 53 this year. Why you are trying to mock this is weird, but I guess that's your style. Good job.....I guess.

Axl's a genius now? since when?

Since ever. He's put down some brilliant music - just take a listen at November Rain & Estranged - both his own "personal" babies...

We've all heard them, they're good rock songs. But that's all. And more to the point, 2 decent songs do not a genius make.

Axl's a genius now? since when?

Since ever. He's put down some brilliant music - just take a listen at November Rain & Estranged - both his own "personal" babies...

Great songs. Classics of rock music.

Both also helped out tremendously by the REST OF THE BAND.

Are you saying he is a genius in real life........or that he is a genius in the world of rock music?

This will put an end to the debate and shed some light on what I previously wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alg8gYtTEaU

Now the interesting stuff is the ratio of likes and dislikes. Generally, as people are not very smart and generous globally (and that may sound harsh but it's the truth, especially on the internet as it's a younger generation, who has a habit of being anonymous and write whatever they want without having any kind of repercussion - you could say the same about me, except that I've been saying these kind of stuff in front of a camera and say how I felt things, and most people seem to agree with me, of course here, everything is written so it's harder to feel my opinion) the ratio are often 10 vs 1 concerning dislike, or 1 vs 10. More rarely, you get 50 vs 50.

And rarer than that: 1/3 likes and 2/3 dislikes, especially when the video has a good vibe. This ratio is the best you can get when you are touching a sensitive subject, because most people, I'd even say 99% of the people on the internet, would react like retards and put a dislike generally. But here, 1/3 of the people got it. It's a miracle and shows how much Axl is respected really.

In this video, Axl acts like no one would. He takes huge risks. You don't take risks like that at this height of your career if you want to play it safe. Look at what is happening now, everyone is talking bullshit, everybody lies, nobody speaks his mind with honesty. Famous people are acting like robots. Furthermore, here, Axl is talking to a very divided audience, and at least 50% of the people came to see Metallica. He knew that, and yet he told it like it is. He is speaking his mind and is 100% spot on.
It's funny that years later, 2/3 of the people still have no idea what he is talking about or why he acted this way. Proves how dumb most people are (and maybe dumber than 20 years ago... well to be more accurate, they think they are smarter than people from 20 years ago but they don't have guts). Globally people are fucking hypocrites and it pains them to see brutal honest people like Axl on this video.

I just thought I'd share this. Axl kicked Hetfield ass that day, and he is just a lot more fun to listen to, and has the guts to speak his mind without being violent. That's the key. Say the truth and act classy.

Edit: I'd also like to add something else... people like to "stick" together you know. More than ever with this internet generation, that's why you often get these ratios (1 vs 10 or 10 vs 1). People are dumb and can't judge for themselves without checking what other people think of something. That's why people there is a "general opinion" of forums, some people are just here for lurking, and the other people like to stick together to play it safe. Not sure most people are really speaking there mind, even here, though you are all comfortably sitting behind a computer.

Generally, when people "stick together" around an artist or a movie, it's not very good. It's what I'd call a sell-out product, designed to please the masses. Take the movie "Avatar". Seriously, it was not that good, did not deserve what it got. And take "Blade Runner". Did not sell well at its time, critics didn't understand it and bashed it, yet it's a far, far, far better movie. Take "2001" from Kubrick. Objectively, it's one of the best movie - if not the best- ever made. Just a fact. But most people from the younger generation seem to like better sellout films like "Shawshank Redemption", because it's more understandable you know. It's easy to understand, they don't have to think too much.

Hetfield is more audience friendly, because he speaks like a politician, it's easy to understand, he could be the guy you would meet in a bar, he has no class, and sometimes he says things under the tone of humor, when really, it's not. He is a nice hypocrite. Axl on the other hand, is more brutal with his approach, he is the kind of guy you wouldn't think of meeting anywhere, he is like a guy from a fairytale, he doesn't look like he belongs in this world, he doesn't think of the consequences, he doesn't prepare anything when speaking his mind, he is just being himself, and just does not seem like the guy you would meet in a bar. So not very audience friendly. People need to relate to the guy they are watching. That's why people don't stick around him as much, but at least he has stayed true to himself and I respect that. I think that everybody deep inside respect that.

Of course most people here won't agree with what I'm writing now because I sound conceited and full of myself. When in reality, I'm just saying very simple things and plain truths, but truths are being forgotten. Most people prefer hypocrite approaches and well... the guy you would meet in a pub and drink with. I do drink beers though. But I prefer wine right now.

Edited by D..

I don't really know what you are talking about? Are you saying Axl is cooler than James because he speaks his mind? That's cool

I've seen GNR 3 times and Metallica twice (same festival, 2 very different sets)

Obviously, I am extremely biased towards GNR and because they are my favorite band, I'll like those shows over anything else. However, Metallica put on a hell of a show. It was amazing. The crowd was mostly people my age, too, so it was pretty young and a lot more diverse than I thought. The energy was something else, and the band was great. I could totally see a casual fan picking Metallica's show over GNR these days. I'll always pick GNR, but the two are pretty darn close nowadays live. It isn't GNR >>>> Metallica when it comes to live performances.

• Like 1

This will put an end to the debate and shed some light on what I previously wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alg8gYtTEaU

Now the interesting stuff is the ratio of likes and dislikes. Generally, as people are not very smart and generous globally (and that may sound harsh but it's the truth, especially on the internet as it's a younger generation, who has a habit of being anonymous and write whatever they want without having any kind of repercussion - you could say the same about me, except that I've been saying these kind of stuff in front of a camera and say how I felt things, and most people seem to agree with me, of course here, everything is written so it's harder to feel my opinion) the ratio are often 10 vs 1 concerning dislike, or 1 vs 10. More rarely, you get 50 vs 50.

And rarer than that: 1/3 likes and 2/3 dislikes, especially when the video has a good vibe. This ratio is the best you can get when you are touching a sensitive subject, because most people, I'd even say 99% of the people on the internet, would react like retards and put a dislike generally. But here, 1/3 of the people got it. It's a miracle and shows how much Axl is respected really.

In this video, Axl acts like no one would. He takes huge risks. You don't take risks like that at this height of your career if you want to play it safe. Look at what is happening now, everyone is talking bullshit, everybody lies, nobody speaks his mind with honesty. Famous people are acting like robots. Furthermore, here, Axl is talking to a very divided audience, and at least 50% of the people came to see Metallica. He knew that, and yet he told it like it is. He is speaking his mind and is 100% spot on.

It's funny that years later, 2/3 of the people still have no idea what he is talking about or why he acted this way. Proves how dumb most people are (and maybe dumber than 20 years ago... well to be more accurate, they think they are smarter than people from 20 years ago but they don't have guts). Globally people are fucking hypocrites and it pains them to see brutal honest people like Axl on this video.

I just thought I'd share this. Axl kicked Hetfield ass that day, and he is just a lot more fun to listen to, and has the guts to speak his mind without being violent. That's the key. Say the truth and act classy.

I don't know what in the f*ck you just said.......but I've had a long day and will gladly drink whatever it is you are drinking today! rock3

I don't know what in the f*ck you just said.......but I've had a long day and will gladly drink whatever it is you are drinking today! rock3

• Like 3

Wine. White wine.

Edit: see my previous edit, I hadn't seen your answers, looks like I was right heh... Sad but true ; )

Edited by D..

Wine. White wine.

Edit: see my previous edit, I hadn't seen your answers, looks like I was right heh... Sad but true ; )

Obviously I disagree with about 90% of what you posted, along with every other sane person on here.

But I admire your spunk, your honesty and your perception of reality is certainly interesting and fun to read.

While I'm sure I (and every other sane person) will disagree with the majority of your future posts - I honestly am looking forward to reading them!!!

Cheers and thanks for giving me a smile today! You are a breath of creative fresh air in a sea of forum negativity.

Idk, I see where he's coming from

When I saw Axl in 2010, 2011, 2012 he told stories about his pets, the cities we were in, and said thanks a lot.

When I saw James in 2013 he told stories about stuff, the cities we were in, and said thanks a lot.

Idk, I see where he's coming from

When I saw Axl in 2010, 2011, 2012 he told stories about his pets, the cities we were in, and said thanks a lot.

When I saw James in 2013 he told stories about stuff, the cities we were in, and said thanks a lot.

That might be true, but you are leaving out the 3-of-25 people on youtube that commented that are not telling the truth but are just not very smart and sheep following the latest fad. Axl is the only one telling the truth, the others are just afraid and toeing the company line to keep happy the 86-of-100% of their fans who are much dumber than 25-out-of-56 out their Facebook likes.

D is just keeping it real. The rest of us - at least 2-of-6 of us are just dumb, not telling the truth, or following trends or we are too scared to speak what we really think.

Or something along those lines.

I always thought the Metallica/GNR tour was ill fated from the very beginning. Two totally different fanbases and 2 totally different bands. Plus, Metallica are not a band that is easily followed, especially during that time. The shows I saw on that tour, Metallica blew GNR away.

You must not have been at Rich Stadium July 25th, 1992. Gun killed 'em. Just sayin'...I was there and so was a bud of mine who was way more into Metallica. He even said GNR's performance killed Metallica's.