Guns should be bigger than Metallica

fred_carston

Both bands have sold over 100 million albums WW, so I'd say it's pretty close to a draw. They were both huge in 1992, one wasn't really "bigger" than the other.

the thing is metallica is still huge, with death magnetic they had 5 straight #1 albums and sold around 500,000 copies in a week. not many rock bands are doing that even back in 2008. when metallicas new album drops next year its going #1 again and will sell a boatload of albums(in 2015-2016 terms being a metal/rock album)

That was 2008. How many copies did the new AC/DC album sell compared to Black Ice? Bands don't sell CDs anymore. The new Metallica album might sell a million copies, but it won't sell as much as DM.

Obviously the current Metallica is bigger than Axl's GN'R, but I would argue that in terms of having a legacy, it's more of a draw. I like GN'R more than Metallica, always have, but that's a personal preference. And like I said, in 1992, both bands were pretty huge.

back then people made out no one bought albums anymore, Black Ice and Death Magnetic crushed Chinese Democracy. People still buy albums if the music is good, Thunder just got to the top 10 in the UK for the first time in 20years because the new album 'Wonder Days' is a masterpiece

Lots of shitty albums sell and good albums no not. 2008/2009 was the last hurrah for CD sales. Metallica's new one won't sell a million in the States.

In the early 1990's Pearl Jam was way bigger than Nirvana. No question.

Edited by RichardNixon

This whole idea that Nirvana was bigger than GnR and Metallica bugs the shit out of me and shows how little people really remember and how badly they've bought into the media's creation of Kurt Cobain's persona and legend over the years. It's just people making shit up years later. Nirvana wasn't even as big as Pearl Jam during the period. Both Ten and Vs outsold both Nevermind and In Utero during the time. Vs at the time was the fastest selling album ever. It was Kurt's persona created by a media desperate to label someone a "voice of a generation" that was larger than life and ONLY after he passed away. That's the truth regardless of how badly people insist on saying otherwise.

For what's it's worth, Garth Brooks has 7 of the top 100 selling albums of the 90s

Not saying that's not true for North America, but I get the impression that Nirvana were bigger in Europe/Rest of the World than Pearl Jam and other grunge bands (but still GNR/Metallica were bigger). Think the only place Garth has a following outside of North America is Ireland, shame about those cancelled gigs. I was only born in '88 so I can't say for sure and it may have been because of Cobain's death, but I heard a lot more about Nirvana than I did PJ or AiC (but still knew people who listened to all of them).

Nirvana was the biggest. And that was before Kurt died. It's nonsense to say they only got larger than life after Kurt's death, because here in Europe, that certainly wasn't the case.

I've never even heard of Garth Brooks. That's not a dig at him, but just to show that Europe is a totally different market than the US is. So don't assume people who say Nirvana was the biggest are just full of shit/don't remember/weren't there. Maybe they're just from Europe.

It's nonsense to ignor facts. Ten out sold Nevermind during the period and Vs WAY outsold In Utero. Pearl Jam was everything Nirvana and Kurt claimed to be. They stopped making music videos and stopped pandering to the media. Meanwhile Nirvana continued making music videos and allowing themselves to be cover stories for magazines all while Kurt cried about not wanting to be a rockstar.. the media built Kurt into this messiah of sorts. Then when he died they blew his legend way out of proportion and that's why so many people fail to remember how it really was. It's revisionist history at it's finest and if people can't recognize that they're blind as fuck. Then for anyone to actually try and say Nirvana was bigger than GnR and/or Metallica during the time is just flat out stupidity.

you know i'm not a native english speaker but you clearly aren't understand what we are talking about here. we are not talking about album sales

You just hate Nirvana or Cobain with a passion so you're just biased, thatt's all

Oh and PJ quickly went fade away after the big alternative rock wave (they releasing music after that but all of them are flopped...)

This whole idea that Nirvana was bigger than GnR and Metallica bugs the shit out of me and shows how little people really remember and how badly they've bought into the media's creation of Kurt Cobain's persona and legend over the years. It's just people making shit up years later. Nirvana wasn't even as big as Pearl Jam during the period. Both Ten and Vs outsold both Nevermind and In Utero during the time. Vs at the time was the fastest selling album ever. It was Kurt's persona created by a media desperate to label someone a "voice of a generation" that was larger than life and ONLY after he passed away. That's the truth regardless of how badly people insist on saying otherwise.

For what's it's worth, Garth Brooks has 7 of the top 100 selling albums of the 90s

Not saying that's not true for North America, but I get the impression that Nirvana were bigger in Europe/Rest of the World than Pearl Jam and other grunge bands (but still GNR/Metallica were bigger). Think the only place Garth has a following outside of North America is Ireland, shame about those cancelled gigs. I was only born in '88 so I can't say for sure and it may have been because of Cobain's death, but I heard a lot more about Nirvana than I did PJ or AiC (but still knew people who listened to all of them).

Nirvana was the biggest. And that was before Kurt died. It's nonsense to say they only got larger than life after Kurt's death, because here in Europe, that certainly wasn't the case.

I've never even heard of Garth Brooks. That's not a dig at him, but just to show that Europe is a totally different market than the US is. So don't assume people who say Nirvana was the biggest are just full of shit/don't remember/weren't there. Maybe they're just from Europe.

It's nonsense to ignor facts. Ten out sold Nevermind during the period and Vs WAY outsold In Utero. Pearl Jam was everything Nirvana and Kurt claimed to be. They stopped making music videos and stopped pandering to the media. Meanwhile Nirvana continued making music videos and allowing themselves to be cover stories for magazines all while Kurt cried about not wanting to be a rockstar.. the media built Kurt into this messiah of sorts. Then when he died they blew his legend way out of proportion and that's why so many people fail to remember how it really was. It's revisionist history at it's finest and if people can't recognize that they're blind as fuck. Then for anyone to actually try and say Nirvana was bigger than GnR and/or Metallica during the time is just flat out stupidity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevermind#Charts_and_certifications

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_(Pearl_Jam_album)#Charts

Nevermind's peak position in UK in 1992 was No. 7, Ten's was No. 18. You can see similar figures for rest of Europe for both albums when they first came out.

let it go, the dude not understand that the US is not the world, lol

Gn'R ARE indeed bigger than Mettallica.

Youtube video views:

November Rain: ~350 million views!

SCOM: ~165 million views

Nothing form Mettallica comes close to that....

maybe because Metallica has more of a backing catalog don't ya think?

Maybe if old GN'R were still around I'd say they should be but the current band?! I admit that I enjoyed Chinese more than Death Magnetic in 2008 but I think Metallica have earned their current status. They're great to their fans and always put on a killer show which counts for a hell of a lot in terms of how 'big' bands are. If Axl weren't such an asshat (late start etc) I think he'd be in a much better place now.

Metallica is a bunch of uninspired musicians they have nothing left to prove. I will always lke first 4 albums and Load but they`re are caricatures of themselves. "Lords of Summer" convinced me everything they will release will be underwhelming at best.

• Like 1

Metallica is a bunch of uninspired musicians they have nothing left to prove. I will always lke first 4 albums and Load but they`re are caricatures of themselves. "Lords of Summer" convinced me everything they will release will be underwhelming at best.

I can't get my mind around how anybody who is a fan of Axl Rose would have the audacity to call someone, anyone, uninspired.
  • Like 4

I can't get my mind around how anybody who is a fan of Axl Rose would have the audacity to call someone, anyone, uninspired.

There's plenty of room in "The Uninspired Club".

I agree with DK, Lord of Summer was a sign that Metallica appeared (at that time anyway) to be out of new things to say.

in europe, nirvana was touring in arenas, they never toured in stadiums.

u2 or gnr were touring in stadiums back in 1992 and 1993.

nirvana was more trendy than gnr in 1993, it doesn't mean they had more fans.

That's how I remember it in the '90's in Europe too.

Axl`s lack of inspiration can not compensate for subpar output selloutica has been chumming out since the 90`s. is it really that hard to understand ?

I agree with DK, Lord of Summer was a sign that Metallica appeared (at that time anyway) to be out of new things to say.

I wouldn't dare question the suckyness of Lords of Summer. Just saying that this isn't exactly a difference when compared to Axl Rose. When you look up uninspired in the dictionary, it'll probably littereally reference the 2010-2014 CD tours.

True- quite true- and don't miss this classic either: they`re are caricatures of themselves.

Axl`s lack of inspiration can not compensate for subpar output selloutica has been chumming out since the 90`s. is it really that hard to understand ?
Axl Rose wouldn't even know the meaning of the word "output".

I'd agree that the actual quality stuff Metallica put out in the past 20 years is scarce and scattered. For Axl however, it's nearly non-existent.

I wouldn't dare question the suckyness of Lords of Summer. Just saying that this isn't exactly a difference when compared to Axl Rose. When you look up uninspired in the dictionary, it'll probably littereally reference the 2010-2014 CD tours.

And why do you always turn everything into Axl bashfest ?

Axl Rose wouldn't even know the meaning of the word "output".

I'd agree that the actual quality stuff Metallica put out in the past 20 years is scarce and scattered. For Axl however, it's nearly non-existent.

I was n`t talking about Axl so spare me bittreness. One more thing, whether Axl`s miniscule output AKA Chinese Democracy has a quality or not is a matter of opinions so, it would be better if you spoke for yourself.

Edited by Dark Knight

I'd love to say more positive things about Axl and Guns n' Roses. Sadly though, there are none.

Also, why do you get to call Metallica uninspired and I don't get to call GnR uninspired?

Edited by username

I'd love to say more positive things about Axl and Guns n' Roses. Sadly though, there are none.

Also, why do you get to call Metallica uninspired and I don't get to call GnR uninspired?

Jesus, call GNR whatever you want I was just surprised why you lumped Axl in conversation he has noithing to do with.

Jesus, call GNR whatever you want I was just surprised why you lumped Axl in conversation he has noithing to do with.

The thread title is "Guns should be bigger than Metallica". I don't really think you can get around Axl in that discussion. :huh:

(and that isn't even a fat-joke :P)

Edited by username
  • Like 1

The thread title is "Guns should be bigger than Metallica". I don't really think you can get around Axl in that discussion. :huh:

(and that isn't even a fat-joke :P)

OK :thumbsup:

Youtube video views:

Video of a dancing dog ~ 900 million views!

I never realised youtube is now an objective determiner upon popularity?

• Like 4

Youtube video views:

Video of a dancing dog ~ 900 million views!

I never realised youtube is now an objective determiner upon popularity?

Hey now, don't be knocking a dancing dog. He has more skills than most people I know, besides animal videos are pure gold, no musician can compare to them. ?

• Like 1

Michael Monroe is about to release another solo album.

He put one out in 2011 (great critical success), 2013 (really solid album) and is releasing another one in 2015.

He is older than Axl.

If Michael can put out quality albums every couple of years..........

• Like 2

If Michael can put out quality albums every couple of years..........

Then everyone else should be able to do that!!! Godammit!
Simmer down big boy, no need to swear. But yes. If Michael can put out quality albums every couple year and still sound great, then certainly can as well.