Guns should be bigger than Metallica

fred_carston

I always thought the Metallica/GNR tour was ill fated from the very beginning. Two totally different fanbases and 2 totally different bands. Plus, Metallica are not a band that is easily followed, especially during that time. The shows I saw on that tour, Metallica blew GNR away.

You must not have been at Rich Stadium July 25th, 1992. Gun killed 'em. Just sayin'...I was there and so was a bud of mine who was way more into Metallica. He even said GNR's performance killed Metallica's.

I was not. But I was there when Axl left the stage mid-show and did his "Axl" thing, totally ruining the concert and experience for all the GNR fans there that waited all day and night to see them and wasted their money

I was also at a show when, after a 4 hour wait, fans booed GNR from the beginning of the show to the end of the show, non-stop.

I was also at 3 other shows that by the time GNR decided to hit the stage, more than half of the crowd left.

But I'm glad you and your friend had a good experience. It wasn't mine. Not one time in the 9 shows I went to. I should have learned my lesson....

Edited by Sixes

I think guns should be bigger than The Beatles. Why not? If Axl had just released an album every second year, like Michael Monroe, of equal quality as AFD, guns would be better. I just don't understand why that hasn't happened.

Probably because Axl is not as good as John Lennon.

Guns bigger than the Beatles!! What drugs have you been on?

I think guns should be bigger than The Beatles. Why not? If Axl had just released an album every second year, like Michael Monroe, of equal quality as AFD, guns would be better. I just don't understand why that hasn't happened.

:facepalm:

Lol somebody is turning into Broski. Not as funny, but interesting to watch happen.

You are mocking something that is actually true. Very weird route to take, even for a guy like you.

Yes, little fella. If Axl had the work ethic and cared about his fans and career like Michael Monroe then GnR could have been bigger than the Beatles.

I know you think you are smarter than everybody else here and that it's your job to educate and ridicule, but did you know that the all time greats - Beatles, stones, queen, zeppelin - used to put out an album every year? The Stones released 20 albums I'm their first 20 years.

So yes. If Axl had released three more albums that were as strong as Appetite and then even just one more round equal to Lies and both Illusions, there would be little doubt GnR would be considered hands down the greatest band of all time. They would have sold over 300 million albums and no other rock band is close to that.

(But keep up the Michael Monroe obsession. It's fun to watch)

If Axl had released three more albums that were as strong as Appetite

He couldn't even do that once in his lifetime.

he could have done one to be fair, combine UYI 1 and 2 into a single album and that ,imo, is far superior to appetite.

In fact, if they'd withheld Lies they could've got 20 songs in 2 albums that were close which would've been a epic 3 album run, oh well.

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1

he could have done one to be fair, combine UYI 1 and 2 into a single album and that ,imo, is far superior to appetite.

In fact, if they'd withheld Lies they could've got 20 songs in 2 albums that were close which would've been a epic 3 album run, oh well.

With the cardinal issue here being that no one but Guns fans thinks the UYI albums are worth a warm turd.

• Like 1

With the cardinal issue here being that no one but Guns fans thinks the UYI albums are worth a warm turd.

I think a LOT of people forget that. While the UYI records are revered by most of us, most folks couldn't care less about them.

• Like 1

I think a LOT of people forget that. While the UYI records are revered by most of us, most folks couldn't care less about them.

It's kinda carried by the existence of November Rain which is, at best, in the eyes of like...non fans or casual observers, like a guilty pleasure nostalgia piece, other than that Estranged and Don't Cry and You Could Be Mine are hardly songs that could be considered to be ingrained in the public conciousness.

You could make that statement about every band and its fans though.

In all reality, the Illusions were absolutely HUGE and extremely popular within the music world.

They debuted at number 1 and number 2

They both sold 20 million albums world wide

The Illusions tour broke world attendance records

A song from one album was featured in one of the most popular action movie franchise of all time

November Rain is always listed in top 10 lists for best power ballad or best music video of all time

Coke is the number one selling soft drink.

Your statement is like downgrading coke's success by saying "yea, but everybody except Coke fans think that coke tastes like crap."

That might be true - but since MORE people like coke than any other soft drink, then they deserve the number one title.

You don't judge or rank something by how many people don't like it. You do so by how many people LIKE it. And if more people like it than they like something else........it's earned the number one ranking.

• Like 3

You could make that statement about every band and its fans though.

In all reality, the Illusions were absolutely HUGE and extremely popular within the music world.

They debuted at number 1 and number 2

They both sold 20 million albums world wide

The Illusions tour broke world attendance records

A song from one album was featured in one of the most popular action movie franchise of all time

November Rain is always listed in top 10 lists for best power ballad or best music video of all time

Coke is the number one selling soft drink.

Your statement is like downgrading coke's success by saying "yea, but everybody except Coke fans think that coke tastes like crap."

That might be true - but since MORE people like coke than any other soft drink, then they deserve the number one title.

You don't judge or rank something by how many people don't like it. You do so by how many people LIKE it. And if more people like it than they like something else........it's earned the number one ranking.

Huge THEN, I'm talking about now though, thats the difference between enduring quality and hot because it is its day.

Unfortunately, since he didn't "try"....we'll never really know for sure.

There was that quote of him wanting to "bury Appettite". I'd say he huffed and puffed with all his might.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, since he didn't "try"....we'll never really know for sure.

There was that quote of him wanting to "bury Appettite". I'd say he huffed and puffed with all his might.

Is that a fat joke?

Even at GN'R's height when they were a working, pretty much functional band, GN'R were never bigger than Metallica though. The Black Album way outsold the UYI albums combined and even outsold AFD...To have been bigger than Metallica would've meant GN'R would've had to go to the utterly commercial '90s Aerosmith route with albums after the UYIs.

That is not an accurate statement. Appetite sold more than the Black Album, 18 million to 16 million in the U.S. Your suggestion that GN'R was "never" bigger than Metallica is downright foolish. In 1988-1989, GNR had four top 10 hits on the radio including a #1 hit. Metallica was still trying to break into the mainstream at the time.

GN'R were, just, bigger as they had a bit more mainstream appeal. Their respective two careers are completely different also. With Metallica, it is a strong but gradual climb to mainstream exposure. They accumulated a loyal Heavy Metal fan base over the course of 1982-1986, gaining exposure by supporting Ozzy Osbourne and putting out a trio of seminal 'thrash' masterpieces. By the end of that period, they were the biggest thing in Metal since Iron Maiden. By 1988 they had made the jump into arenas and gained their first mainstream exposure with the music promo for 'One'. Then with their fifth album, 1991's the Black album, they finally broke through to the masses, a huge album with mass (Guns N' Roses like) appeal - although, they risked alienating their hardcore fanbase.

With Guns it was more, overnight. Their debut album was their smash hit, their 'black album' basically. They never accumulated success with each passing album. Instead, they had a club period (1985-86); released their debut (1987); and the following year, that debut was an unprecedented smash hit.

I got some from Apollo.

[...]

You are mocking something that is actually true.

I know you are true.

Honestly, (this is just me talking here, not trying to create some sort of heated duscussion, lol). But everything Lenny said about UYI could that not also translate to the Black album? I think many people seem to really over state that album's enduring qualities. If I'm to be honest about it, it's one great song, a couple of pretty good songs and the rest is filler. Obviously I'm bias, but I think UYI pisses all over it, especially if it had been 1 album. But Appetite literally eats and shits out the black album. I could go on and compare it to great albums by many artists, and I'm sorry but the black album will fall short every freaking time.

I'm not saying it is a bad album, but sales imo are the only reason why it is considered a "classic" not because of the actual music. Hell look at Back in Black, it's got you shook me all night long, back in black, and hells bells plus plenty of quality filler tracks. Same goes for Zep 2,4 VH 1, 1984, PinkFloyds best, etc etc.

I just don't feel that album really belongs in the "all time" great category. So when I hear people say that "use your illusions was popular because of it's time, not because of its quality" is that not also true of the black album? It just seems like the work they did in the 80s, helped them build a following, than as someone else said, the music video for one finally got them on mmtv that they could have released Death Magnetic next and it probably would have sold 8 to 10 million.

I guess the fact that even among Metallica fans, it is considered a lesser work just adds to my point. I personally love Ride the lightning, I think it owns the black album in every way. Again, enter sandman combined with Metallica previous albums is why that album is HUGE, not because of the album it's self.

Thoughts?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ