Eddie Trunk Interview About GN'R Reunion

Just so I'm clear...........Trunk, who has worked in the rock music world for the last 20 years, who has interviewed all the ex-members of the band, who is personal friends with GnR band members, and who is also friends or has contacts that work at labels and behind the scenes with bands.......his word is "garbage" and doesn't hold as much weight as some random fans on a GnR message board? That about sums up what most of you think in this topic?

Well, except for Stella. She actually knows and has spent time with Axl, Slash and the rest of the band. So she does know more than the rest of us concerning what the members actually think or what they've done in their personal lives.

Yes. Who cares if Trunk has interviewed ex-members or current GNR members? None of them are privy to Axl's thoughts. Trunk has interviewed Axl twice, so what? Axl didn't even know about the VH1 interview until just before it happened, it's not like they're friends who hang out together. Every couple years Trunk repeats the same bullshit "I would have said a reunion would never happen a few years ago, but now...". He also told Howard Stern he believes money is at the center of the Axl-Slash feud. I think hardcore GNR fans, who have read every Axl interview and have talked several times with Marc Canter have a better concept of a GNR reunion than Eddie douche.

You don't think you are letting your PERSONAL feelings about Trunk influence your thoughts on what he said?

And you seriously think those of us who have READ stuff off the internet know more than a guy who is deeply involved in the industry and KNOWS people who work for GnR, as well as knowing the band members?

The delusion of Axl fans never ceases to amaze.

I can possibly - possibly - see Axl and Slash finally sitting down and talking again.

Exactly. Just knowing that Axl and Slash had to opportunity to talk and bury the hatchet, would be enough and should be enough to every Gn'R fan out there.

Unfortunately I think that if there were ever any tangible proof that the two of them had even said "hello" to each other - a photo of them together or even something as silly as a tweet from Axl to Slash - the Internet would explode. Absolutely explode.

You do realize this is 2015 right? Not 2005?

axl needs to watch the rocky movies before the reunion, he needs to get fit and lose the extra pounds he has put on lately

I agree only if Slash agrees to work out too because his belly is bigger than Axl's.

Why would an adult male like yourself care at all how fat a couple of musicians are?
I'm just countering the negative Axl responses. It's a shame how millionaires can't stay in shape. I'm not in the best of shapes but I'm working on it constantly and pushing myself to get into shape instead of giving up and accepting what life throws at you.

Just so I'm clear...........Trunk, who has worked in the rock music world for the last 20 years, who has interviewed all the ex-members of the band, who is personal friends with GnR band members, and who is also friends or has contacts that work at labels and behind the scenes with bands.......his word is "garbage" and doesn't hold as much weight as some random fans on a GnR message board? That about sums up what most of you think in this topic?

Well, except for Stella. She actually knows and has spent time with Axl, Slash and the rest of the band. So she does know more than the rest of us concerning what the members actually think or what they've done in their personal lives.

Yes. Who cares if Trunk has interviewed ex-members or current GNR members? None of them are privy to Axl's thoughts. Trunk has interviewed Axl twice, so what? Axl didn't even know about the VH1 interview until just before it happened, it's not like they're friends who hang out together. Every couple years Trunk repeats the same bullshit "I would have said a reunion would never happen a few years ago, but now...". He also told Howard Stern he believes money is at the center of the Axl-Slash feud. I think hardcore GNR fans, who have read every Axl interview and have talked several times with Marc Canter have a better concept of a GNR reunion than Eddie douche.

You don't think you are letting your PERSONAL feelings about Trunk influence your thoughts on what he said?

And you seriously think those of us who have READ stuff off the internet know more than a guy who is deeply involved in the industry and KNOWS people who work for GnR, as well as knowing the band members?

I'm not an "Axl fan" in any way outside of his music, and it's absolutely beyond pathetic and childish for you to label people when you have no idea what their opinions are. I'm just someone who doesn't take Eddie Trunk's word seriously when he's shown time and time again he's clueless when it comes to GNR. The only people who seem to have any idea about what Axl's plans are are TB, and Eddie's never implied he's gotten information from them. And again, what does it matter that he knows the band members when they themselves are "out of the loop"? Tommy doesn't know what's going on, DJ, Dizzy, and Richard give the same stock response to every question they've been asked for the past decade.

• Like 1

I'm not an "Axl fan" in any way outside of his music, and it's absolutely beyond pathetic and childish for you to label people when you have no idea what their opinions are. I'm just someone who doesn't take Eddie Trunk's word seriously when he's shown time and time again he's clueless when it comes to GNR. The only people who seem to have any idea about what Axl's plans are are TB, and Eddie's never implied he's gotten information from them. And again, what does it matter that he knows the band members when they themselves are "out of the loop"? Tommy doesn't know what's going on, DJ, Dizzy, and Richard give the same stock response to every question they've been asked for the past decade.

So the short answer is yes. Your personal opinion of Trunk is what's on display here.

So the short answer is yes. Your personal opinion of Trunk is what's on display here.

It's not my opinion. He's repeatedly used the same language about a Guns reunion happening ("I'd have said no a few years ago, but now...") and when asked by Stern why he thinks the band won't reunite, he said money, which is something no one else associated with Guns or the feud has ever even alluded to.

It's not my opinion. He's repeatedly used the same language about a Guns reunion happening ("I'd have said no a few years ago, but now...") and when asked by Stern why he thinks the band won't reunite, he said money, which is something no one else associated with Guns or the feud has ever even alluded to.

How many times is repeatedly? Serious question, I wasn't aware that trunk talked about it all the time.

And what reasons have GnR members/camp said as to why there would never be a reunion? You don't think money is an issue at all? Didn't they originally fight about who got what % of credits on the albums, and didn't Axl and Slash reportedly hold up projects by the other guy in the past?

You might be right, I'm not disputing you. Guess maybe you are just more in the know about what has gone on behind closed doors with the members than I am.

A reunion won't happen because it's not really necessary, in the sense of, Axl is happy with what he's doing, Slash is happy with what he's doing. Whether we - the fans - are happy with what they're doing... well, I don't think either Axl or Slash care enough.

axl is smart.

playing with these professional and talented musicians that he hires may be fun

well i`d have a lot of fun hiring musicians and telling them to write songs for me

but he will learn eventually that there is no chance in hell that this can work

and he will learn eventually that these nice guys can not write good songs to save their lives

same goes for slash

he knows the difference between miles and the real deal

miles is cool, he can reach any high note he wants, he doesnt fuck with the band, doesnt fuck with the audience, BUT...

same for izzy, duff etc

i think the bug is there in their heads

- what if I try the real thing again...

...just one more time

...what if it works?

• Like 1

How many times is repeatedly? Serious question, I wasn't aware that trunk talked about it all the time.

And what reasons have GnR members/camp said as to why there would never be a reunion? You don't think money is an issue at all? Didn't they originally fight about who got what % of credits on the albums, and didn't Axl and Slash reportedly hold up projects by the other guy in the past?

You might be right, I'm not disputing you. Guess maybe you are just more in the know about what has gone on behind closed doors with the members than I am.

Only twice that I know of, but I find it amusing that in 2011 he said the same thing he is saying in 2015, (a few years ago he'd have said no) when a few years ago he was saying that very same thing.

Who besides Trunk has ever implied money was a reason there wouldn't be a reunion? The battle over credits seems to be a result of the feud, not the reason for it. True, it appears Slash may have initially blocked the Vegas DVD for financial purposes, but Axl is the only one who seems to have no interest in playing with the others, Slash is not the one saying "not in this lifetime" to a reunion. Axl allegedly blocked Made In Stoke from having GNR songs and didn't relent so that didn't seem to be financially motivated, just spite. And in the multiple interviews he's done over the years he's never once mentioned money as a reason for not doing it. Marc Canter who had several conversations with Axl on the subject said money is not a motivation for him. Until someone close to the situation mentions money as a reason it wouldn't happen I find it absurd to assume that's the cause of the band's problems.

A reunion won't happen because it's not really necessary, in the sense of, Axl is happy with what he's doing, Slash is happy with what he's doing. Whether we - the fans - are happy with what they're doing... well, I don't think either Axl or Slash care enough.

axl is smart.

playing with these professional and talented musicians that he hires may be fun

well i`d have a lot of fun hiring musicians and telling them to write songs for me

but he will learn eventually that there is no chance in hell that this can work

and he will learn eventually that these nice guys can not write good songs to save their lives

same goes for slash

he knows the difference between miles and the real deal

miles is cool, he can reach any high note he wants, he doesnt fuck with the band, doesnt fuck with the audience, BUT...

same for izzy, duff etc

i think the bug is there in their heads

- what if I try the real thing again...

...just one more time

...what if it works?

You got the point! There is a difference between the individual talents and what makes a band : complementarity between musicians. This is where you get the groove, the feeling. This is why technical abilities are not so important but the way people can play together. I think thats why Axl alone with talented musiciens can't truly emulate the Gnr sound... And he knew that because he went for a very different style/sound on CD (and he was right to do that). Slash on the last two albums is not very far from what Gnr used to do... But Myles (with all his talent) is no Axl and Izzy is not here to complemente Slash' style. I think he knows it well also.

But there are too much egos and too much time has passed. Maybe they will go ahead before they're too old but I doubt.

I agree, if the 5 (originals) played together the glue would be still here they could click musically better than ever, but

All of them are aware of that and they dont go ahead...

I doubt Eddie Trunk was very affirmative in his interview. He basically did say just they are closer than ever from a reunion. (Nothing else than that) Sure, ok, but... We stay far from a reunion also

Edited by nico_france

The GNR online community is strange. There are kids that message Del, Fernando and Beta and maybe even get a polite response who then think they are insiders.

Love or hate Trunk he has tons of inside information most of which he probably keeps to himself. If he didn't then he wouldn't have had a long, successful career.

I think the vast majority of people who aren't on these boards want a reunion.Axl has "Fuck You" money so it seems a reunion will be on his terms or not at all.

then what's the fucking point talking about a reunion in a "i feel it" way?

Trunk knows jackshit in this case

Dude, your point is wrong

How about people based their personal opinions about this: a journalist who clearly has NEVER approved USEFUL new informations about Axl and repeating the same shit over and over (like for example GNR forumers) so it's logical to call them out on their bullshit? Trunk does two fucking interviews with Axl Rose. Mostly what Axl said about his plans not became true, not even on the slightest form, so how can trunk can be more reliable than Axl for exmple?

All of them are full of shit at the end of the day

Truk has got some connections, but a lot of people has got connections other than him and not repeating this reunion bullshit over and over (and proven wropng every fucking year)

P.S. inb4youcallmecrashdiet

The GNR online community is strange. There are kids that message Del, Fernando and Beta and maybe even get a polite response who then think they are insiders.

Love or hate Trunk he has tons of inside information most of which he probably keeps to himself. If he didn't then he wouldn't have had a long, successful career.

I think the vast majority of people who aren't on these boards want a reunion.Axl has "Fuck You" money so it seems a reunion will be on his terms or not at all.

He probably just does it to make you mad.

Still lol at random fans on the internet who think they know more than Trunk does.

Still lol at random fans on the internet who think they know more than Trunk does.

Keep dreaming about a reunion and spend most of your lifetime here and in the end Axl and Slash dies and never reunite

This is what will happen

i know

Common sense said to me

Common sense is the best connection ever, imho

Edited by Motivation

Only twice that I know of, but I find it amusing that in 2011 he said the same thing he is saying in 2015, (a few years ago he'd have said no) when a few years ago he was saying that very same thing.

Who besides Trunk has ever implied money was a reason there wouldn't be a reunion? The battle over credits seems to be a result of the feud, not the reason for it. True, it appears Slash may have initially blocked the Vegas DVD for financial purposes, but Axl is the only one who seems to have no interest in playing with the others, Slash is not the one saying "not in this lifetime" to a reunion. Axl allegedly blocked Made In Stoke from having GNR songs and didn't relent so that didn't seem to be financially motivated, just spite. And in the multiple interviews he's done over the years he's never once mentioned money as a reason for not doing it. Marc Canter who had several conversations with Axl on the subject said money is not a motivation for him. Until someone close to the situation mentions money as a reason it wouldn't happen I find it absurd to assume that's the cause of the band's problems.

Good response - thanks.

I wouldn't say that "twice" constitutes as "repeatedly." And maybe plans changed from what he heard in 2011? Sort of like how fans justify/defend Axl when his statements end up not happening....."things changed."

But thanks for the informative response - I do respect your opinion!

Let me ask you this, just out of curiosity - what kind of money do you think would be offered for a one album and a two-year reunion tour? I remember a few years back somebody threw out some crazy number like 150 million dollars or something. That seems pretty unreasonable in 2015/2016/2017. I can't imagine anybody would fork over that kind of money today.

I don't see that big of a boost attendance wise at concerts. I saw GnR a couple years ago on the west coast with about 8,000 other fans. How many more people from that city are going to come if Slash is back in the band? Just numbers wise - if that city has 8,000 willing to come see Axl Rose and GnR - realistically there aren't 8,000 more "fans" of the band that chose NOT to come see Axl's GnR that would then be willing to fork over a hundred bucks or more for a reunion. Because a Slash show in that area probably draws 2-3,000. A Loaded show? 500? An Izzy show - 500? An Adler's Appetite - 250?

Sure the major markets would sell out. But in a market that sold 8,000 Axl tickets and say 2,500 Slash tickets......a reunion isn't going to now pull in 25,000 people.

I think that sometimes we die-hard fans over-estimate the excitement level of a reunion.

SO that would be the dollar question. What amount of money would somebody offer the boys to reunite - and would that amount be enough to tempt the guys to get back together? If Axl is worth 150 million bucks, would 10 million be enough to tempt him? Probably not. Would a $50 million dollar check do it? Probably. But would a promoter/ be able to recoop his money if he paid the band 200 million dollars? Probably not.

Keep dreaming about a reunion and spend most of your lifetime here and in the end Axl and Slash dies and never reunite

This is what will happen

i know

Common sense said to me

Common sense is the best connection ever, imho

I like the current band. I don't really care one way or the other if they reunite. I just wish Axl would put out more albums. Couldn't care less who his backing band is - Slash or Bucket or Robin or Fortus - makes no difference to me.

And you are missing the point.

Eddie Trunk WORKS in the rock music industry. He actually can pick up the phone and chat with Slash. He knows all the people behind the scenes. Hence - he knows more about it than we do.

I work with kids who experience development disabilities. Hence - I know more about it than you and Eddie.

You flip burgers at McDonald's for a living. Hence - you more about how to deep-fry French fries and what the proper ketchup-mustard-pickle ration is on a Big Mac.

It's just common sense. Nothing to get mad about. :shrugs:

Good response - thanks.

I wouldn't say that "twice" constitutes as "repeatedly." And maybe plans changed from what he heard in 2011? Sort of like how fans justify/defend Axl when his statements end up not happening....."things changed."

Let me ask you this, just out of curiosity - what kind of money do you think would be offered for a one album and a two-year reunion tour? I remember a few years back somebody threw out some crazy number like 150 million dollars or something. That seems pretty unreasonable in 2015/2016/2017. I can't imagine anybody would fork over that kind of money today.

I don't see that big of a boost attendance wise at concerts. I saw GnR a couple years ago on the west coast with about 8,000 other fans. How many more people from that city are going to come if Slash is back in the band? Just numbers wise - if that city has 8,000 willing to come see Axl Rose and GnR - realistically there aren't 8,000 more "fans" of the band that chose NOT to come see Axl's GnR that would then be willing to fork over a hundred bucks or more for a reunion. Because a Slash show in that area probably draws 2-3,000. A Loaded show? 500? An Izzy show - 500? An Adler's Appetite - 250?

Sure the major markets would sell out. But in a market that sold 8,000 Axl tickets and say 2,500 Slash tickets......a reunion isn't going to now pull in 25,000 people.

I think that sometimes we die-hard fans over-estimate the excitement level of a reunion.

SO that would be the dollar question. What amount of money would somebody offer the boys to reunite - and would that amount be enough to tempt the guys to get back together? If Axl is worth 150 million bucks, would 10 million be enough to tempt him? Probably not. Would a $50 million dollar check do it? Probably. But would a promoter/ be able to recoop his money if he paid the band 200 million dollars? Probably not.

Forum die hards absolutely have way too much belief that a GNR reunion would be THE GREATEST THING EVER AND THEY WILL BE THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD!!

I am a fan from 1987 but have continued to follow them thru forums so of course, I know the ins and outs and who's in the band and whatnot. 100% (not 50, not 75, not 90) of people I know that were GNR fans back in the late 80's have no idea who's in the band now. For all they know, it's still Axl, Slash and company. 20 years have passed since the classic era broke up. Maybe they knew then because it was news but 20 years of life has happened and GNR, Axl and Slash just doesn't mean anything to them. And again, 100% of people I know my age or similar in age that have seen GNR in the past few years have thought it was the old band when they bought tickets and still had no clue who was in the band when they went...and they didn't care. It's not as if they even knew Slash wasn't there since DJ apes his act....so, the thought that a reunion will somehow make everyone run out of their houses to buy tickets is a false notion. The rest of the world doesn't follow the GNR soap opera like we do. And also, most of the fans I know from back then have moved on and simply don't care about going to concerts anymore. Again, work and kids and mortgages and death and everything else have become the most important aspects of live. Going to concerts is so far down the list that it's almost non-existent.

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

Sixes - you hit the nail on the head.

Page and Plant reunited awhile back and their album didn't even go to number one and didn't even sell a million copies in the US.

DLR reunited with Van Halen and their album didn't exactly set the music world on fire.

A GnR reunion would be cool and fun to see what the guys could create. But I bet it's not a 100 million dollar gamble that somebody is willing to take.

Damn no megadeth reunion either

I was literally listening to Hanger 18 as I read your comment.

Good response - thanks.

Forum die hards absolutely have way too much belief that a GNR reunion would be THE GREATEST THING EVER AND THEY WILL BE THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD!!

I am a fan from 1987 but have continued to follow them thru forums so of course, I know the ins and outs and who's in the band and whatnot. 100% (not 50, not 75, not 90) of people I know that were GNR fans back in the late 80's have no idea who's in the band now. For all they know, it's still Axl, Slash and company. 20 years have passed since the classic era broke up. Maybe they knew then because it was news but 20 years of life has happened and GNR, Axl and Slash just doesn't mean anything to them. And again, 100% of people I know my age or similar in age that have seen GNR in the past few years have thought it was the old band when they bought tickets and still had no clue who was in the band when they went...and they didn't care. It's not as if they even knew Slash wasn't there since DJ apes his act....so, the thought that a reunion will somehow make everyone run out of their houses to buy tickets is a false notion. The rest of the world doesn't follow the GNR soap opera like we do. And also, most of the fans I know from back then have moved on and simply don't care about going to concerts anymore. Again, work and kids and mortgages and death and everything else have become the most important aspects of live. Going to concerts is so far down the list that it's almost non-existent.

the people you know are idiots.

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 1