Eddie Trunk Interview About GN'R Reunion

Listen, I'm a big Eddie Trunk fan and I follow him and share most of his opinions and have for several years now. He's usually very grounded, and yeah he kind of likes to hear himself talk at times, but he's as much a fan of all of these bands as any of us and he just happens to have more access to music people to get more information.

The way he's been talking about GNR in the past few months is such an anomaly for him and its truly surprising. I just don't know how to take it. Again, I have to stress that he doesn't just say things to say things. He says things he knows are true and he's relatively good friends (at least work-wise) with most of GNR that he knows what to spread and what not to. He knows what all of them are up to and all of their comfort levels at the current time. Which is what makes the way he's broached this topic even weirder.

My two cents is this is the one time I think Eddie has no idea what he's talking about. I don't think its any closer than its ever been, and he knows better than anyone how happy Slash currently is. He's not thinking about GNR, and even if he is, its not something he lingers on. Its something he'd be open to but its basing his life around it. Which is smart of Slash, because I don't think Axl has changed at all. Yes, there's the basically unconfirmed news that Bumble is gone, but aside from that nothing seems to be any different in the GNR camp than its been in years. I don't see why Axl would be any closer to a reunion than ever, since he hasn't publicly expressed any interest and it actually seems very calm, if not quiet and unmotivated, in the GNR camp at the moment which is rare.

But again, if Eddie is wrong here, its one of the very few times he would be way off. As someone that follows him, I can tell you he usually isn't. So what he's saying here and what he said in a podcast a little while ago about things being at work "deep in the inner workings of this band" or whatever... I just don't know. He's very clearly and calculatedly saying a reunion is more believable now more than ever, and he's not one to put info out there like that if its simply not true. The only way I can take this is he's been given some bad info from a very reliable source (again, he doesn't just spout this stuff) or he knows more than we do. I can't stress enough that his answers of late to GNR have been very different than how he approaches most other topics. There's a confidence and a knowingness he gives off, which isn't just put on to be cool or anything. He seems very confident about information thats either very right or very wrong. I don't believe this is something to just write off (like many of the other things we hear) and I just pray that if he does know something, his less than subtle hints about it aren't making key members angry or reconsider.

EDIT: And the LAST thing I will say is I've just watched the whole video and the proof is right there. Watch how he answers the Megadeth reunion question. Completely different than how he answered GNR, and the way he answered Megadeth is similar to how I usually hear him answer things. And thats why the GNR thing makes me even more curious. He answers Megadeth very concisely and very honestly, and surely you can answer GNR in the same way (and by all accounts, Eddie knows he crazy people are about a reunion like that) and he doesn't. I'm telling you, there's either something to this or Eddie is acting very out of character for some reason, and its only when talking about GNR.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 2

Eddie Trunk thinks he knows some shit but he has no idea whatsover

Substitute "Eddie Trunk" for "GNR fan and this forum" and you have the slogan for us the last 15 years.

The bottom line is Eddie has a better track record than us about GNR and more importantly about many other things related to music in the last 15 years. He may know nothing, but his word holds a lot more clout than us just posting rumors on this forum. And rightly so. He's proven himself if you follow the guy. His word shouldn't just be tossed aside, even if he's wrong.

Eddie Trunk thinks he knows some shit but he has no idea whatsover

Substitute "Eddie Trunk" for "GNR fan and this forum" and you have the slogan for us the last 15 years.

The bottom line is Eddie has a better track record than us about GNR and more importantly about many other things related to music in the last 15 years. He may know nothing, but his word holds a lot more clout than us just posting rumors on this forum. And rightly so. He's proven himself if you follow the guy. His word shouldn't just be tossed aside, even if he's wrong.

Nope

Sane people here knows that a reunion with Slash is NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

So in this case sane people here knows more than Eddie Trunk ever about GNR

• Like 1

"A year ago I would say no. Now, I think it will happen at some point. Tomorrow? Probably not. But maybe at some point." Eddie Trunk on whether a GNR reunion will happen November 11,2011 http://theinterrobang.com/eddie-trunk-and-don-jamieson-talk-about-their-historic-interview-with-axl-rose/

"If you asked me this a couple years ago I'd tell you no, but now I do". Eddie Trunk on whether a GNR reunion will happen September 30,2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnu3VhasNqE

This is nothing new for Eddie and GNR.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

Since 1996 there was something happening in the inner circles at least several times. And in the end it always fell on its face. So maybe Eddie knew something at some point and maybe it was even legit. That doesn't get us any closer to a reunion yet.

Besides he seems to be always pointing to two things:

- that the only obstacle is Slash and Axl

-that there is great money involved

And that to him seems enough to think it is impossible that it wouldn't happen. But that's BS. Cause it's never really been about anything more than what is between Slash and Axl and Axl will never do it for money so neither of those arguments are of any value.

I don't know why Eddie even cares about a reunion?

He's said on the show that he was never a fan of Axl's voice even in the beginning, so what would be the point? Is he saying this because he thinks the GNR fans want to hear it? Is he getting something out of it? big bucks? I doubt it.

Besides, just because he's interviewed pretty much all of GNR doesn't mean he knows what they are all thinking. Yeah, Slash, Steven and Duff have said because they are all still alive a reunion could happen. But then Axl comes along and says never going to happen in this lifetime and I tend to believe Axl.

I think if a reunion was going to happen, it should have happened years ago, not now. You can't go back again. Yeah, I for one would love seeing the original members, but is the magic still there between them to write another amazing album? Will they be comfortable performing onstage again?

Who the hell knows?

Ha Ha Thanks for the laugh.

Okay attention attention:

slash, Duff and Gilby had a small reunion in Argentina when they all played with Slash's band and Myles. Of course, they played many GNR songs because those get the biggest reaction from fans.

but sorry Myles just fucks up every GNR he sings. he sucks! I wish one day Axl would get pissed enough to come out and grab the mic from Myles and start singing. I would pay big bucks to see that.

Anyway, there you go. Lucky GNR fans got to see 2 and a half (Gilby) GNR members play together.

Edited by Val22

For those of us who've never been to the States can you enlighten us (or maybe just me) as to who Eddie Trunk is. My understanding is he was/is on radio, does an show on rock/metal & knows lots of bands members in person.

For the Aussies who are more aware of him, is he as knowledgeable as Molly Meldrum? What Molly doesn't know isn't worth knowing so maybe we should ask him if he's heard of a reunion happening, he seems to know Slash.

A Gn'R reunion will happen - money will eventually talk.

It seems all bands reunite in the end. Hell, if Lennon and Harrison were still alive I imagine The Beatles would probably have got back together for something. If Gilmour can end up on the same stage as Waters again I think Slash and Axl hypothetically could. Plus I imagine nuGuns will become a smaller rather than a bigger draw over time.

• Like 1

A Gn'R reunion will happen - money will eventually talk.

Then it should be happened years ago...

I wonder when will you people realise that Axl is the most stubborn musician of all time....

Guns will be the first band that never reunite with their classic members in full....

For those of us who've never been to the States can you enlighten us (or maybe just me) as to who Eddie Trunk is. My understanding is he was/is on radio, does an show on rock/metal & knows lots of bands members in person.

For the Aussies who are more aware of him, is he as knowledgeable as Molly Meldrum? What Molly doesn't know isn't worth knowing so maybe we should ask him if he's heard of a reunion happening, he seems to know Slash.

I don't know how well of a job I'll do, but I can hopefully provide some insight.

Eddie Trunk is an American guy thats been in radio since 1983. He's been interviewing rock and metal guys for decades and has become friends with a lot of them. Very friendly with Ace Frehley from KISS, Rob Halford from Judas Priest, knows the Metallica and East Coast rockers well because he was in radio when they started. You basically had it right. I would say Slash is a pretty good friend of his. Not like Canter friendly, but Eddie interviews him a lot and they always seem to be on a good basis. Slash wrote the forward to Eddie's second coffee table book, so again its not like these guys are strangers. Eddie also has the distinction of being one of the few people thats sat Axl down for an interview in the last 15 years, once informal and once formal. So he has history with this band.

I don't know Molly Meldrum that well. I only really know him from an infamous Bruce Springsteen interview he did in the 90s. Bruce was doing 5 minute interviews with the press, and this guy Molly came in and somehow got him to talk for 90 minutes. To this day, its Springsteen's most revealing and honest interview, which is no easy feat. Springsteen and his management were like "who the fuck is this guy?!" but somehow Molly got closer than any other press guy ever really has and that interview is revered by Bruce fans. If I were to guess, I'd say if he knows anything, it isn't more than what someone like Eddie would know. Even if Molly is friendly with Slash, Eddie has a lot more contact with him and talks to him more a year, just given his location. He also works in radio so he knows a lot of music industry guys, so I'd bank that he'd have the same or more information as Molly. Eddie isn't this big deal, but again he's a guy that knows his stuff and doesn't just say it to puff out his chest. So his saying this stuff on GNR is pretty out of the ordinary and makes me wonder what he knows, or if he knows anything. What makes it even weirder is that like I said, he knows the GNR guys, and Slash in particular, so he knows how Slash is about his current band and GNR being in the past. Its what makes me question why Eddie would say anything that might risk that friendship, because Eddie knows what saying a GNR reunion could happen means to the fans and to Slash.

Again, if I'm throwing in my two cents, I don't think a reunion is happening. Axl is by far the most out of shape (and thats not trying to demean him, its just true) and his voice is what has suffered the most in these 20 years. Even if he does suddenly not hate these guys anymore, I imagine he'll be aware that they are still technically good, while Axl will stick out like a sore thumb for his voice and possibly appearance. Secondly, they all each have too much going on, particularly Slash, with solo projects that I think a reunion is now too far gone. If it were to have happened, I think it would have been years ago, and I think something like the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame would have been another thing that could have kicked it. Both of those things have passed, so I think unless Izzy is dying and has a benefit where he wants the original lineup to play, I truly don't think it'll happen. Something crazy like that would have to happen. I will say that I do think at some point Slash and Axl will talk or at least meet again. I don't think they'll ever get on stage again, but I think at some point we will see a photo of those two shaking hands.

• Like 1

I can't see it happening. I think Axl and Slash have a lot less issues than other bands that reunited, but I don't think any other bands ever had an Axl Rose. He is perfectly content with never speaking to Slash again, money means nothing to him, and his life is pretty good these days.

I mean Axl literally can travel the world, stay at home, watch movies all day, or do whatever and never have to work again. He's changed so much that people don't recognize him when he's out so he doesn't get hassled in the states anymore. He has his own little family to keep him company, he has people around him that he likes, he's not forced to promote himself or do anything. He can still get women, he can throw parties, he lives in a beautiful house, he still drinks, and can have fun 365 days a year. What the hell would he want to do with Slash these days? Slash is more of a mess than Axl. He can't drink, he makes music, tours, and promotes himself all year long. The guy never does anything but work.

Obviously from a fan perspective I wish Axl would throw us a bone every once in a while. We sort of support his lifestyle. But if I had to pick who is doing better personally I would say Axl, and since Axl is kind of the deciding factor in this reunion we think, then I will say it won't happen unless Axl's life gets flipped upside down.

A reunion won't happen because it's not really necessary, in the sense of, Axl is happy with what he's doing, Slash is happy with what he's doing. Whether we - the fans - are happy with what they're doing... well, I don't think either Axl or Slash care enough.

• Like 1

Don't know how happy Slash is doing what he's doing but I could bet almost all I have that the moment reunion becomes an option he'll almost break his legs to be there. Same about the rest of the original line-up.

Axl is a different story and the only reason it hasn't happened yet. But if it wasn't for his obsession with Slash I'm sure he'd also do it in no time. I don't believe that if, very hypothetically, he reconciled with Slash (everything explained, no ill feelings at all) he'd give up or deny a reunion cause he prefers nu-guns... Nah.

The hypothetical reconciliation though would have to involve clearing and working out so many issues that it's close to impossible but that's a different story.

Edited by Asia