"The X-Files" Returns (2min Trailer Out Now)

BangoSkank

• 2 weeks later...

I'm revisiting the series on blu-ray, closing in on season 3. Starting season 6 I will skip the standalone episodes and just do those that have significance to the overall story arc.

I could probably look them up, but do you have a list? I think I may do the same and then watch the single story episodes in between later on. I want to be caught up and ready when the new episodes start.

Edit: Found one

Re-watching S8. It's better than I remember, not a patch on the halcyon days, but the MotW eps are mostly solid. God love Gillian Anderson's ability to

wrest genuine gravitas out of Carter's shitty purple monologues, the show would be lost without her.

Warning: Aside from Requiem, the post S6 myth arc episodes are generally balls. Don't skip Arcadia, Monday, Field Trip, The Unnatural and X Cops at least.

Edited by Angelica

Re-watching S8. It's better than I remember, not a patch on the halcyon days, but the MotW eps are mostly solid. God love Gillian Anderson's ability to

wrest genuine gravitas out of Carter's shitty purple monologues, the show would be lost without her.

Warning: Aside from Requiem, the post S6 myth arc episodes are generally balls. Don't skip Arcadia, Monday, Field Trip, The Unnatural and X Cops at least.

Any other notable episodes after Season 6? I had seen the majority of episodes from seasons 1-5 but not the later seasons which is why I started a rewatch months ago, but with the new season coming up fast I want to be as caught up as possible but don't wanna miss out on any good episodes (aside from the mytharc).

S8 was much better than I remembered. S9 is still a near total misfire. Although I'm enjoying it (sort of), which I didn't the first time around. I'd also forgotten what a lovely ep Improbable is.

They were trying to set the series up for Dogget and Reyes, Gillian was leaving after S9 if it continued. But it couldnt get out from under the shadow of Mulder and Scully, and Reyes just didn't quite work. And the ratings nosedived.

Edited by Angelica

I bet the new series will be better than the originals. The old X-Files are pretty raw, and most of the episodes end with no resolution.

Now that David Duchovny is a Hollywood veteran, he's got plenty of experience to make up for Chris Carter's pitfalls. I'm pretty sure David Duchovny wrote some of the later episodes too.

Carter is hands down the worst ever creator/showrunner of a great show.

The mytharc got irredeemably convoluted before S9, but the super soldiers and MAGIC SCULDER BABY were the turd flavoured icing on the cake. This is why I'm not expecting S10 (bar the Darin Morgan ep) to be good, just a welcome nostalgia fest.

Edited by Angelica

Oh Jesus, the original series finale is even worse than I remenbered.

It essentially made a mockery of all the shit throughout the series and seemed very self aware, and then the climax in the ancient ruins was just silly.

And the more the mytharc is explained the stupider it sounds. I did forget how good Sunshine Days was, though. It was Vince Gilligan's last episode, he really did good work even in the last season.

It got stupid once they tried to make the colonization into more than what it should have been. The super soldiers and shit was just dumb and then only some kind of special meteorite rock can kill them? Ugh.

And I don't even know what to say about how ridiculous they had CSM looking at the end. How did they take that seriously?

I wonder if he's actually supposed to be alive in the new episodes or if he's a vision of sorts like the irrelevant ones Mulder was having in the finale.

I just started watching this on netflix. On episode 3 should I continue?

Yes definitely continue. It's great up until season 6 where it starts to fall off in quality noticeably. After that I would just focus on the mytharc episodes aside from a few notable ones.

But keep going.