Guns n Roses one of the worst musical comebacks

Rio '01 was good because Axl had the chance to introduce the new members of his band to the world. He also performed new songs. Technically, his voice was shot, but I enjoyed that show because of the atmosphere.

Technically, has nothing to do with it. Technically, Hendrix played like shit at Woodstock. Technically, punk rock sucks. Technically, my name isn't Mr. Dude. Technically, doesn't lessen the import.

Edited by Mr. Dude

In new gnr terms Vegas/Rio 3 (taken collectively together) were about as interesting and exiting as it has ever been - well, that and the mid 00s leaks. Yes his voice was completely shot but at least you could just about ignore that because of the fact he had not played live for years and the hype of the comeback. As far as I am concerned, it all went downhill after Rio 3.

Back then, when I watched the show later that year, I didn't care that he sounded like shit. Buckethead and Finck stole the show for me.

Rio '01 was good because Axl had the chance to introduce the new members of his band to the world. He also performed new songs. Technically, his voice was shot, but I enjoyed that show because of the atmosphere.

The energy was palpable. It was phenomenal just for the intensity, the vibe of the whole thing. And Axl had something to prove, a fire in his belly he's lacked in recent performances. That performance of The Blues, for example, was stellar.

What's interesting to me is how opinions have changed drastically over time -- before the whole 2012 era Axl, way back in the day, Rio '01 was lumped in with the '02 tour as being generally pretty awful -- people made fun of Axl being overweight (interestingly, in retrospect he looks pretty good enough to me, for his age at least), his voice being shot (I actually like the cleaner Mickey Mouse voice on the newer songs, and the falsetto), etc. But now it's considered a historic performance. Time changes our perspectives sometimes.

The energy was palpable. It was phenomenal just for the intensity, the vibe of the whole thing. And Axl had something to prove, a fire in his belly he's lacked in recent performances. That performance of The Blues, for example, was stellar.

What's interesting to me is how opinions have changed drastically over time -- before the whole 2012 era Axl, way back in the day, Rio '01 was lumped in with the '02 tour as being generally pretty awful -- people made fun of Axl being overweight (interestingly, in retrospect he looks pretty good enough to me, for his age at least), his voice being shot (I actually like the cleaner Mickey Mouse voice on the newer songs, and the falsetto), etc. But now it's considered a historic performance. Time changes our perspectives sometimes.

I remember Rio 01 being very well-received. It wasn't until around the 02 riots (and VMA's) that I remember there being a lot of backlash due to the riots being taken out of context.

• Like 1