The Psychology of Axl

IncitingChaos

C'mon, even after the breakup Axl told he couldn't make another AFD because he had't Slash with him anymore. He admitted, once again, how great Slash was.

You know what? I think that's why he probably never gonna "forgive" Slash and Erin ... he begged for those 2 to come back, like he never begged to anyone/anything else ...

Chinese Democracy is a terrible, awful record because Axl took over the band. He wrote cheesy lyrics like This I Love, and really stupid shit like "IRS". I'm glad Slash was never part of it. It would have been a complete embarrassment for him, even worse than playing with Fergie or Paulina Rubio, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

That is probably rhetorical considering there was certainly no unwillingness to work on those ''Seymour ballads''; heck, some of Slash's greatest guitar work is on Stephanie Seymour ballads.

Not according to Axl. His side of it is that he had Duff and Slash didn't want to do November Rain and Estranged.

But he wrote incredible solos for them - and riffs for the latter?

And that's the key thing a lot of people forget.

I'm certain there was friction between Axl, Duff & Slash, but look at the greatness that came out of it.

But after UYI Slash said "no more of that shit" anyway. So I guess if you believe Axl, and Slash was against doing those songs, the "Slash should have left after Lies" comment makes more sense, from an objective point of view.

Plus Axl also said he tried to get Slash back in Guns but he couldn't convince him to stay and Slash said in his book that he would have done "Industrial, whatever Axl wanted" which doesn't really goes together with what Axl said about Slash refusing to do November Rain and Estranged.

You hear what Slash has done since Guns and it does seem like he's just interested in doing the basic, raw hard rock thing mostly.

You listen to Chinese and it sounds like Axl mostly wanting to do Illusion based stuff with new and more modern influences.

They didn't want the same thing imo, and that was a main problem, but not the only one.

And I've never denied the perfect chemistry they had together. Slash's work on November Rain and Estranged showed how talented he was: he wrote some of his best solos and leads for songs he didn't even like.

And it wasn't the first time. He claimed he didn't like SCOM as well. Both the riff and the song, yet he came up with one of the best solos of all time for it.

I heard Slash in an interview say that he liked pretty much every song GNR did, I think he said he was proud of all of them. He may have dissed NR and Estranged at one point but sometimes people's perceptions/opinions soften over time.

I think that Slash's excelent contribution for the illusions isn't even in question.

Axl even showed before how much thankfull he was for Slash's contribution.

Rovim explained much better than I, in his post#45, why Axl said that. Tks Rovim.

Thx for the killa melodies! no credits for u though. You know why? cause Slash didn't deserve it cause he didn't even like those songs and refused to work on them at first.

I read in Slash's book he was insulted or offended because Axl didn't give him credit he somehow "felt" he deserved for his work on those songs.

You think Slash got Axl back for it by not granting him access to the Fall To Pieces riff? they had great working relationship.

Slash didn't deserve it?

Jesus...have you listened to the guitar work on Estranged, Breakdown, November Rain etc.?

Its fucking epic and takes those songs up many notches to the point where his guitar is another voice inside those songs. The solos in those songs as as well known and loved as the vocal; fans sing the guitar melodies at gigs as much as the vocals - that's why Slash deserved the credit.

If you feel Axl was right to be that bitchy and mean spirited to a band mate who swallowed his personal distaste for Elton John rip-offs and worked his ass off to move those songs back to a place that a GNR fan would love, while making those songs so much better ..well fuck it, I don't know what to say really.

If Slash pulled the same move with "Coma" he'd have been roasted off the stage here.

Hypocrisy.

• Like 1

I think that Slash's excelent contribution for the illusions isn't even in question.

Rovim explained much better than I, in his post#45, why Axl said that. Tks Rovim.

Thx for the killa melodies! no credits for u though. You know why? cause Slash didn't deserve it cause he didn't even like those songs and refused to work on them at first.

I read in Slash's book he was insulted or offended because Axl didn't give him credit he somehow "felt" he deserved for his work on those songs.

You think Slash got Axl back for it by not granting him access to the Fall To Pieces riff? they had great working relationship.

Slash didn't deserve it?

Jesus...have you listened to the guitar work on Estranged, Breakdown, November Rain etc.?

Its fucking epic and takes those songs up many notches to the point where his guitar is another voice inside those songs. The solos in those songs as as well known and loved as the vocal; fans sing the guitar melodies at gigs as much as the vocals - that's why Slash deserved the credit.

If you feel Axl was right to be that bitchy and mean spirited to a band mate who swallowed his personal distaste for Elton John rip-offs and worked his ass off to move those songs back to a place that a GNR fan would love, while making those songs so much better ..well fuck it, I don't know what to say really.

If Slash pulled the same move with "Coma" he'd have been roasted off the stage here.

Hypocrisy.

I guess my post wasn't clear enough. I think Slash totally deserved the writing credits for November Rain and Estranged.

Should have been credited as Rose/Slash or something like that. Axl's name first cause he came up with the basic structure, lyrics, and melodies, and Slash second for his major, unique, and crucial guitar parts in those songs.

Edited by Rovim

Slash didn't deserve it?

Hypocrisy.

I guess my post wasn't clear enough. I think Slash totally deserved the writing credits for November Rain and Estranged.

Should have been credited as Rose/Slash or something like that. Axl's name first cause he came up with the basic structure, lyrics, and melodies, and Slash second for his major, unique, and crucial guitar parts in those songs.

ahh my apologies Rovim, missed the tone of your post.

GNR split and shared enough credits not to complain about Axl getting sole credit on a couple of them.

I guess you can go through some of the stuff Izzy, Slash, and Duff did and hear "what could have been", or the first VR album, but if you remember, Scott rejected the demos, and they're probably a lot of the same songs Axl rejected.

The studio in 94-97 just seemed more like a getaway from the courtroom crap for Axl but he should have done his "Burning Hills" memo sooner and put GNR on hold right after they did Sympathy. I doubt any of them would disagree.

Does anyone think Axl falls into the category of Borderline Personality Disorder?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

Symptoms include:

Markedly disturbed sense of identity

Intense or uncontrollable emotional triggers

Unstable interpersonal relationships and self-esteem

Concerns about abandonment

Self-damaging behavior

Impulsivity

Frequently accompanied by depression, anxiety, anger, or rage

This topic will probably be moved, but I found the symptoms interesting and how well it fit Axl. Maybe some would agree, but I imagine this will turn into an argument. Share your opinions as always. I hope this topic isn't offensive.

I'm just gonna quote myself on this one. I only read 3 comments that related to the topic but I got plenty of laughs from you guys. Im with some of you in the feeling towards diagnosing someone. I don't like it, but I heard of this disorder and the symptoms were really familiar to Axl's life. I had heard bipolar come up a lot but I think this one adequately fits Axl on an emotional level.

I'm sure Axl has been diagnosed with it if he's seen any psychologist.