Yulin Festival

Słash

So this has been in the news lately, its a "Festival" in China where they torture and slaughter more than 10,000 Dogs and Cats and then sell them.

I eat chicken, but man this festival is a fucked up thing, torturing and slaughtering dogs and cats is such a sick thing to do

What is your opinion on this? is it a sick thing to do? or you think its ok as people even slaughter chicken and cows?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/chinese-yulin-dog-meat-festival-activists-fight-back-in-support-of-event-which-will-see-10000-cats-and-dogs-slaughtered-10326736.html

So this has been in the news lately, its a "Festival" in China where they torture and slaughter more than 10,000 Dogs and Cats and then sell them.

I eat chicken, but man this festival is a fucked up thing, torturing and slaughtering dogs and cats is such a sick thing to do

What is your opinion on this? is it a sick thing to do? or you think its ok as people even slaughter chicken and cows?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/chinese-yulin-dog-meat-festival-activists-fight-back-in-support-of-event-which-will-see-10000-cats-and-dogs-slaughtered-10326736.html

People gather to watch defenseless animals (a huge proportion of whom are stolen pets) be brutally tortured. Dogs are burned alive, skinned alive, beaten to death, boiled alive etc, while onlookers gawk, cheer and take photos and videos. Anyone who reacts with pleasure to the terror and agony of *any* living creature is safely assumed to be a sick cunt, surely.

And yes, livestock suffer terribly and are often subject to horrific abuse (beyond the obvious), we tend to detatch ourselves from that reality out of selfishness, which is fucked up too. People suck.

• Like 2

i really hope that one day in most parts of the world eating cows, pigs etc will be considered as barbaric as eating/killing/torturing cats or dogs now

Yeah, if I had any moral integrity whatsoever....

I've never been able to argue my way around that one, so I just ignore it, like a good human.

I honestly don't get what's so bad about eating cats and dogs. :shrugs:

Well, it's certainly no worse than eating any other animal. The event in question however, is notorious because many of the dogs and cats are tortured beforehand (apparently because it makes the meat tastier, but photos suggest it's as much for sport) and for the fact that a significant percentage of the unfortunate creatures are kidnapped pets. It's also wildly unhealthy for the participants, as the health or the animals is not monitored and many are carrying rabies.

Well, it's certainly no worse than eating any other animal.

That's basically my point. I mean provided that welfare levels are acceptable I really don't see the difference between dog, cat, cow, pig etc etc.

That's basically my point. I mean provided that welfare levels are acceptable I really don't see the difference between dog, cat, cow, pig etc etc.

Yes. It is all about cultural relativity really. The fact is that we in the west have long since certified that cats and dogs are 'domestic pets', and that cows and pigs are 'livestock'.

IT'S CHINA FFS!

Didn't I tell anybody anything? - It's all relative!

Ethics are relative! - EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE!

We know China do all this yet we still trade with China, there aren't any embargos going on - reason? - What China do in China is China's business.

That's why we don't care if they hire babies for pennies a day to make stuff we you buy at Primark for low low prices!

For a country that determines your lot in life based on where you were born and offers you no concept of land ownership or security from being booted off land you occupy if/when the state feels like it, the OP is expecting China to be like the US or UK; It's not, it's China - If we cared we'd say 'We don't want to trade with you anymore China, your human rights records and your animal rights records are atrocious!' - but the world doesn't work like that.

What China do in China is up to China and China haven't crossed any trade embargoing lines yet so we've got no choice but to accept it,

I include

The Death of Wang Yue

"Yue Yue" redirects here. For other uses, see Yueyue.

Fatal injury of Wang Yue Time 17:30 hours Date 13 October 2011 Location Foshan, Guangdong, People's Republic of China Filmed by Closed-circuit television Outcome Death of victim Deaths Wang Yue Charges Two vehicle drivers charged with hit and run

Wang Yue (Chinese: ; pinyin: Wáng Yuè), also known as "Yue Yue", was a two-year-old Chinese girl who was run over by two vehicles on the afternoon of 13 October 2011 in a narrow road in Foshan, Guangdong. As she lay bleeding on the road for more than seven minutes, at least 18 passers-by skirted around her body, ignoring her. She was eventually helped by a female rubbish scavenger and sent to a hospital for treatment, but succumbed to her injuries and died eight days later. The closed-circuit televisionrecording of the incident was uploaded onto the Internet, and quickly stirred widespread reaction in China and overseas. Many commentators saw this as indicative of a growing apathy in contemporary Chinese society.[1]

If China has so many people that they don't even care about a poor peasant girl; then what makes you think that Fluffy and Rover stand a chance?

Edited by Snake-Pit

Of course, the Western welfare levels aren't acceptable either. This is just particularly grotesque and perverse.