Dutch court orders government to cut carbon emissions

Bumblefeet

A court in the Hague has declared the Dutch government’s climate policy illegal and ordered it to cut its emissions by at least 25% within five years, in a landmark ruling.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/24/dutch-government-ordered-cut-carbon-emissions-landmark-ruling

There is a similar court case here in Belgium and hopefully the ruling will be similar. Government after government, little is done to cut carbon emissions and agreed upon levels keep getting exceeded on a yearly basis. I personally don't want to be wearing face masks in the near future due to smog and bad air so I'm glad governments can now be sued into taking action.

Kudos to the Hague.

It will be interesting to see if courts start construing environmental conditions as a basic human right that is enforceable under the law. As much as I think changes need to be made, I'm somewhat cynical that most countries will do anything about it until it's too late. When dealing with the tragedy of the commons, forethought and proactive solutions rarely win out.

Good move by the government even though Holland is a clean country and much better than many countries in terms on pollution, these types of things should be applied to countries like China or India or even America

Yeah.. Countries like China will keep fucking things up while smaller ones will do all they can and unfortunately, won't change nothing. That's why I'm not having kids. It would be very selfish of me to create a human being to live in a world I KNOW will be harsh, violent and unbearable.

• 2 months later...

If you thought Belgium looked flat and ugly. :lol:

How's the pot at least? ;)

It's looks beautiful :)

But even that refugee camp @ Calais looked funner.

The town I saw was duller than shit..

Waar schijt de koe!

Shit yourself rich!

RB_BEAMER_KOE-660x495.jpg

It's quite simple, every Saturday, go to the field that's mentally portioned out into a grid, each bet on a grid and if the cow shits on your grid, you win.

Vinkensport (Dutch for "finch sport") is a competitive animal sport in which male ... it is primarily active in the Dutch-speaking region of Flanders in Belgium

'Thank you Wiki!'

It's this sport about counting how many times a bird sings in a box... I mean, sure, why not, I've heard worse.

Of course, professional pipe-smoking isn't unique to Belgium, but with all that other stuff going on it's no surprise that it's big in Belgium.

The Spanish gave Belgium chocolate when Belgium was under Spanish rule.

Gracias Espana

Brussels boasts capital of the EU, I think the less said about the EU the better...

- I didn't give Belgium much of a chance and the land let me down that morning when somebody fertilised Belgium with manure, was bright & cold out too.

And the chocolate factory coming back was;

cc255301-8ed7-40a5-8e05-646d769ef95d_PIC

I mean

'Don't leave me here!'

Was what I was thinking when I heard my coach was ready to go.

The people seem kind, friendly enough and even big tippers. :) Great people, gotta love 'em.

The country, I wasn't there long, and it still fucked with me! :lol: France too in it's own way, every country, except for The NL, has tried to fuck with me. :lol:

UK, USA, Belgium & France... all tried to fuck with me, not the NL.... :shrugs: I like that about the NL.

• Like 1