Faith No More Bassist: Music Has Been Going Backwards Since Guns N' Roses Appeared

Interesting. I can't think of a single band which picked up where actual GNR left off.

What makes GNR so interesting is that they were this bizarre, coked up, sleazed out 70s styled band. It's something which no one has even remotely successfully imitated since.

GNR was an island. They did not start a movement.

• Like 1

Angel Dust sounds dated as shit! Especially the bass and drums and the vocals is such blatant rip offs from Ah Ha, Flock of Seaguls etc. they also to me rip off RCHP at times too. They were a decent band for the time and some called it fresh. But they don't stand the test of time.

Post of the thread :lol:

Never understood the whole criticizing other bands thing. Yes Guns have done it too, Nirvana did it. Its like basically climbing up the rock mountain and showing off your huge set of testicles that need a wheelbarrow to move. Nirvana, Faith No More couldn't hold a candle to GnR's popularity back in the day. Nirvana blow up with Nevermind and the constant rotation of SLTS on MTV made them, IMO Alice In Chains "sound" sounded so much better & grittier. Faith No More have some great songs I honestly haven't listened to there latest stuff. I ain't just writing this because I'm here to defend Guns in every way. Maybe its to appeal cool in fans eyes in music magazine's and online rock sites. Bands calling out each other... :violin:

Never understood the whole criticizing other bands thing. Yes Guns have done it too, Nirvana did it. Its like basically climbing up the rock mountain and showing off your huge set of testicles that need a wheelbarrow to move. Nirvana, Faith No More couldn't hold a candle to GnR's popularity back in the day. Nirvana blow up with Nevermind and the constant rotation of SLTS on MTV made them, IMO Alice In Chains "sound" sounded so much better & grittier. Faith No More have some great songs I honestly haven't listened to there latest stuff. I ain't just writing this because I'm here to defend Guns in every way. Maybe its to appeal cool in fans eyes in music magazine's and online rock sites. Bands calling out each other... :violin:

They just like to fight with each other, there could be a few reasons, Jealousy is one of them, GNR did get very big back in the day and they were just from the streets, in faith no more's case, its jealously, but in Nirvana's case I wont call it jealously, Kurt was in his own world and I guess many people dint like and still dont like Axl's attitude.

• Like 1

Every time someone from Faith No More opens their mouth in an interview regarding other bands and the music industry, shit comes out. Fuck, they are such pretentious assholes. One would think they actually produced artistic and respectable music...

This is what I don't get.

If Axl comes out and bashes another singer/band - we fall down to our knees and praise him for being the last real rock star who doesn't give a f*ck what anybody thinks, and who isn't afraid to speak his mind.

But the moment anybody criticizes Axl, people go into full bash mode. They should shut the f*ck up, nobody cares what they think, they suck as a band, etc, etc, etc.

This happens 2-3 times a year. Each time I write the exact same response. And each time several people say "Oh, that's not true. Nobody does that." Then three months later it happens again. Then three months it happens again. And again. And over and over.

Jimi Hendrix could rise from the dead and say "I didn't really dig Chinese democracy that much. Didn't like the guitar work either." And then his ghost disappears and he goes back to heaven or hell. And the comments on here would be "I never liked him" and "Jimi is so overrated" and "F*ck that guy, he should stay dead. Nobody wants to hear his opinion."

By the same token, though, there are a good number of people who, if Jimi rose from the dead and praised Chinese Democracy, would say "Fuck him.", "Poser", "I never liked him". Don't act like the Axl apologists are the only irrational bashers. It goes both ways, and frankly, the number of Axl apologists is greatly eclipsed nowadays by the number of people who outright despise him. The apologist types, in whose eyes Axl can do no wrong, are a vocal minority; I would argue the overwhelming majority of people here don't care anymore either way, and the second largest group hates Axl.

• Like 1

We didn't start going retro until the 2000's. Everyone got post modern and ironic and as much as I loved Family Guy when it debuted, it was right around that time. Bands like Nickleback showed there was nothing new to do other than polish up tried and true chord changes and nothing new has happened since. Rock became cool again for a while in the last decade. Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, bands that had musical integrity in the 2000's but were still only Polishing up what was left to be done. I've felt that way for years.

Yeah, but what you're talking about is bands who call out King Kong and call him a pussy so they can seem like Billy Big Bollocks. Calling out Guns N' Roses at this point is like spitting on a half dead tortoise.

• Like 1

We didn't start going retro until the 2000's. Everyone got post modern and ironic and as much as I loved Family Guy when it debuted, it was right around that time. Bands like Nickleback showed there was nothing new to do other than polish up tried and true chord changes and nothing new has happened since. Rock became cool again for a while in the last decade. Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, bands that had musical integrity in the 2000's but were still only Polishing up what was left to be done. I've felt that way for years.

Avenged Sevenfold rock!

• Like 2

Every time someone from Faith No More opens their mouth in an interview regarding other bands and the music industry, shit comes out. Fuck, they are such pretentious assholes. One would think they actually produced artistic and respectable music...

This is what I don't get.

If Axl comes out and bashes another singer/band - we fall down to our knees and praise him for being the last real rock star who doesn't give a f*ck what anybody thinks, and who isn't afraid to speak his mind.

But the moment anybody criticizes Axl, people go into full bash mode. They should shut the f*ck up, nobody cares what they think, they suck as a band, etc, etc, etc.

This happens 2-3 times a year. Each time I write the exact same response. And each time several people say "Oh, that's not true. Nobody does that." Then three months later it happens again. Then three months it happens again. And again. And over and over.

Jimi Hendrix could rise from the dead and say "I didn't really dig Chinese democracy that much. Didn't like the guitar work either." And then his ghost disappears and he goes back to heaven or hell. And the comments on here would be "I never liked him" and "Jimi is so overrated" and "F*ck that guy, he should stay dead. Nobody wants to hear his opinion."

By the same token, though, there are a good number of people who, if Jimi rose from the dead and praised Chinese Democracy, would say "Fuck him.", "Poser", "I never liked him". Don't act like the Axl apologists are the only irrational bashers. It goes both ways, and frankly, the number of Axl apologists is greatly eclipsed nowadays by the number of people who outright despise him. The apologist types, in whose eyes Axl can do no wrong, are a vocal minority; I would argue the overwhelming majority of people here don't care anymore either way, and the second largest group hates Axl.

Please shut up.

In rock, a lot of bands wear their influences on their sleeves but going back to Sha Na Na to the Stray Cats & Bangles, to Phish and the Black Crowes and No Doubt, there's a lot of "throwback" regardless of what he said about GNR.

I disagree.