Faith No More Bassist: Music Has Been Going Backwards Since Guns N' Roses Appeared

I listened to one of their albums a few years ago and gave it a proper chance, several repeated listens. The singer sounds like Myles Kennedy doing his best RHCP impersonation. And the album, which was supposedly a classic, sounded really dated and not in a good way. So when I say FNM are a shit band, it has NOTHING to do with what their bassist thinks of GNR. I find these type of comments to be highly condescending and patronising, I mean, we're not twelve year old Justin Bieber fans getting our panties in a bunch because someone was mean to our favourite popstar.

Oh, and they also deserve a slap for butchering War Pigs.

What does the quality of the music they produce have to do with their bassist comments?

Because if they make shit music themselves they really have no authority to discuss the problem with other peoples.

I can't play pro football, nor can I act....so I'm not allowed to discuss football and movies with people?

If I had to do open heart surgery on you tomorrow - you'd die on the operating table in about 45 seconds. Does that mean I can't comment on surgical procedures?

And I loved their version of War Pigs.

Every time someone from Faith No More opens their mouth in an interview regarding other bands and the music industry, shit comes out. Fuck, they are such pretentious assholes. One would think they actually produced artistic and respectable music...

This is what I don't get.

If Axl comes out and bashes another singer/band - we fall down to our knees and praise him for being the last real rock star who doesn't give a f*ck what anybody thinks, and who isn't afraid to speak his mind.

But the moment anybody criticizes Axl, people go into full bash mode. They should shut the f*ck up, nobody cares what they think, they suck as a band, etc, etc, etc.

This happens 2-3 times a year. Each time I write the exact same response. And each time several people say "Oh, that's not true. Nobody does that." Then three months later it happens again. Then three months it happens again. And again. And over and over.

Jimi Hendrix could rise from the dead and say "I didn't really dig Chinese democracy that much. Didn't like the guitar work either." And then his ghost disappears and he goes back to heaven or hell. And the comments on here would be "I never liked him" and "Jimi is so overrated" and "F*ck that guy, he should stay dead. Nobody wants to hear his opinion."

• Like 2

Unless he's talking about how only the Stones, U2, and a few other old bands are the only rock acts who can fill arenas these days, it's an asinine statement. Faith No More has some good music but they make a lot of these big pseudo-philosophical pronouncements on the state of music that are kind of full of shit.

This is also a band so eager to posture and so lacking in awareness that they tried having Pussy Riot open for them in Russia. Russians hate Pussy Riot. And I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. Over 90% of Russia supported the decision to convict them.

Edited by Flayer
  • Like 1

Its all just ripped off old blues riffs, man.

I don't agree that the retro sounds are holding music or culture back. There has not been a singular consistent retro movement in the business for 40 years. It ebbs and flows. Punk comes back, or garage, or blues driven, or fuzztones, etc. Synth is popular again right now. There is only so much that can be done to drive sounds further and still be pleasant to the ear. There is a reason people still listen to Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, etc. As said a few posts up, music (and other forms of art) should be timeless. I think culturally we are a throw away society. Everything is old and forgotten just weeks after it premieres. If it is lucky enough to get that.

But he says its not the fault of the business, which it certainly is. Everything is very formulaic today, has been for about 20 years and has not a damn thing to do with GnR. The music industry doesn't take chances (neither does Hollywood anymore). Rock and hard rock, however, are not on top of the public's conscience today. They are being fed cheeay country, typical pop, derivative rap and hip hop, and bland EDM.

Edited by HuskerTornado

The guy is entitled to an opinion... but equally hes entitled to be questioned and even ridiculed for it if people so choose.

I dont particularly like FNM.. never have...never will.

I find it interesting that these guys continue to bring guns up in recent interviews.. and it does always seem to be negative.. like patton saying he took a shit in Axl's orange juice??? whats he trying to achieve by making this stuff public after 20 years? Any normal person would just think hes a prick.

As for the current interview.. i personally think hes off the mark... but hes entitled to an opinion.. .he does sound like a self-righteous whiney little shit with nothing good to say.. and thats fine.. if thats what he wants to sound like. But as i said.. their music is entitled to be critiqued equally as much as hes doing to guns and anything else thats current.

Angel Dust sounds dated as shit! Especially the bass and drums and the vocals is such blatant rip offs from Ah Ha, Flock of Seaguls etc. they also to me rip off RCHP at times too. They were a decent band for the time and some called it fresh. But they don't stand the test of time.

Angel Dust sounds dated as shit! Especially the bass and drums and the vocals is such blatant rip offs from Ah Ha, Flock of Seaguls etc. they also to me rip off RCHP at times too. They were a decent band for the time and some called it fresh. But they don't stand the test of time.

So does "Welcome to The Jungle" sound modern? "Dark Side of The Moon" sounds dated, but that doesn't demean it's value.

fyi The article in the first post just took random paragraphs out of an answer he gave in an interview where he was asked about Gene Simmons claiming rock is dead. Billy was telling a joke about how he thought rock was dead when he heard a pil record in 81.

The quotes in the article are out of context. I still though don't get how people see this an attack on Guns.

Edited by AtariLegend

He said Guns n Roses was looking back and he was looking forward yet his forward sounding music sounds more dated than GNR to my ears. That said they were pretty good but it is my opinion they did not become classic artists like many bands from that era did. Not it may be out of context and if so I apologize but he came off pretentious.

• Like 1

The unstated gist of what he is saying is that, in his opinion, things have gotten a little stale. Another way to say this, is that things have gotten shitty.

I agree with this. And I also agree, roughly, on when it happened.

I don't think, though, that it has anything to do with people not 'moving forward'.

You know how when you're high, or drunk, and music more readily 'reveals' itself to you?

Maybe right now, our brains are set up to like certain sounds. But we've exhausted all the sounds. So we're looking around thinking everything sucks. Maybe in the future, our brain chemistry, or general make-up, will change, and suddenly we'll be receptive to different things. All of a sudden, there'll be all this great "new" music.

If I had to do open heart surgery on you tomorrow - you'd die on the operating table in about 45 seconds. Does that mean I can't comment on surgical procedures?

That's a terrible analogy. Of course you can comment on surgical procedures, but don't expect anyone to take your opinion on the subject as an authority.

It's really not that hard a concept to grasp. In terms of other peoples opinions on the music I like, I'm more inclined to respect and listen to the opinions of someone who I rate highly than someone I don't. I've listened to FNM as a band, given them a chance, come to the conclusion that their music is utter wank, therefore I don't care for their opinions on anyone elses music.

And as for the War Pigs cover, it smacks of hypocrisy in light of the bassists comments about GNR starting a retro movement. Their version is almost a carbon copy note-for-note of Sabbath's original, only with Mike Patton's horrid vocals replacing Ozzy's. What is that if it's not retro??

Edited by Towelie

Gould is a very nice and talented person. FNM is my second fav band. But what he says here is absurd in all ways, think he tried to mean something else. GNR at that time really brought back the popularity of rock music and led the way for the bands like FNM. Hope they tour together again next time. Duff appeared on stage with them recently which was really funny :)

Every time someone from Faith No More opens their mouth in an interview regarding other bands and the music industry, shit comes out. Fuck, they are such pretentious assholes. One would think they actually produced artistic and respectable music...

This is what I don't get.

If Axl comes out and bashes another singer/band - we fall down to our knees and praise him for being the last real rock star who doesn't give a f*ck what anybody thinks, and who isn't afraid to speak his mind.

But the moment anybody criticizes Axl, people go into full bash mode. They should shut the f*ck up, nobody cares what they think, they suck as a band, etc, etc, etc.

This happens 2-3 times a year. Each time I write the exact same response. And each time several people say "Oh, that's not true. Nobody does that." Then three months later it happens again. Then three months it happens again. And again. And over and over.

Jimi Hendrix could rise from the dead and say "I didn't really dig Chinese democracy that much. Didn't like the guitar work either." And then his ghost disappears and he goes back to heaven or hell. And the comments on here would be "I never liked him" and "Jimi is so overrated" and "F*ck that guy, he should stay dead. Nobody wants to hear his opinion."

Speak for yourself, Apollo. Axl's an asshole. He's completey wrong about shit 90% of the time too, he's not "a real rockstar" for acting the way he acts or saying what he (used to) say. But these assholes from Faith No More need to step down from the pedestial put think they're in: these guys produce really dull music. They often criticize musicians that have absolutely other visions of what music should be, and try to impose theirs over the others. There's nothing wrong with being retro, nothing wrong with veing influenced by bands from 30 or 40 years ago: if people wanna listen to it, so be it. There's a (big) demand for that, just like there's a demand for demented rap-rock with a dude that sounds loke anthony kleidis on helium.

And best part of it all is: music is not going backwards... At all. Hes, there's a retro movement going on but that's a side thing. Mainstream pop music has been constantly "evolving". Yes, there are bands with a highly retro feeling like the Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys, etc... But that's just a counter movement to what was happening before with bands like Muse, Coldplay, Linkin Park, etc...

If you think music is shit, then you're lazy as fuck or computer illiterate - or your taste is shit.

What if computers as a whole are too much complex for some people??

I hadn't thought of that. I'll lay off him. I know what it's like to feel left out because you can't handle the much complex.

I would say to chill out some of you.

Ageing bass player issues huge sweeping comment that GNR is responsible for every band that took influence from some artist from the past.

Its a nonsense statement...and I'm a fan of FNM.

Gotta go with this.

There's lots of things you can take the piss out of/blame GNR/Axl for but I don't think this is one of them.

Fuck Faith No More, fuck Mike Patton. He was a self righteous prick in the 80's & 90's, and he still is. If his music was all that's important and his expression of it then why is it necessary for him to dog any other band that happens to come up in conversation with the guy. There's no denying he's a good singer, performer and writer, but he's also a pretentiousness bitch that needs to shut up and sing.

I know this wasn't about Patton. But whenever I see this bands name I can't help but think of that asswipe.

Edited by ll_tj1
  • Like 1

Especially that infamous Wolfmother video where he calls them out for being throwbacks when just 10 seconds earlier he's talking about doing 60's Italian covers. Love his music but gosh what a twat. Big Jim and Puff were the only good guys there.

This is quite stupid! Gnr at the time were fresh and were a breath of air after all the 80pop, hair metal, etc.... Sure they were the heirs of legends like Led zep and aerosmith but they had this freshness, this rawness and they were just a great band with great songs. FNM is a very good band but I dont see the point of this kind of comment... Its so easy to attack Gnr now that they have self-destructed... When FNM sing "easy", it does not sound retro?? And the Real thing is great but the sound has aged so much compared to Appetite ...