History Repeating Itself

I re-listened to the Eddie Trunk interview from 2006 recently and my one overriding impression whenever Axl speaks about his 'plans' is, he is making this stuff up as he goes along. There was never a 'great game plan' for CD. The ''three albums released at intervals'' was hokum. There are probably no plans now. As time lapses he - probably - has some vague idea of doing something but then his procrastination leads to the departure of band members and label trouble and that something turns into nothing. He then applies spins to the outcome to make it seem that that nothing was all part of the plan anyhow: ''we are in a much better place now (2006) than then (2002)''; ''then was not the right time to release Chinese; I am in a much better place now'', etc etc.

He basically does not know what the heck he is doing and never has haha.

One thing I notice that tells me Axl sort of has a formula is the way he went after CD.

It was very similar to how GNR started. The formula is to get a group together, write a bunch of material, release one album, then continue to work on the other material and make it part of the next album.

Axl said all along CD was a 3 part album. When they wrote AFD they had other songs waiting. November rain, don't cry, and so forth.

I think Axl's plan with CD was similar to the start of the band in the 80's. Go out, write a bunch, put an album together and get the rest out later.

I guess in Axl's head everything was a trilogy. UYI was part 2 and 3 of that band. I think if we ever get a CD 2 it will be a double album again, just so Axl can be done with it all. But I doubt we ever see it.

Point is I think Axl had a plan, but it wasn't executed.

I think the plan was Merck era with Bucket on board maybe there was more scope, more potential. Axl did talk about a trilogy after Merck and Bucket gone to Bach about how Bach heard songs and Axl goes thats on the 3rd record.

But the idea of a stand alone record CD which was more guitar driven and another revord they were working on which was more electronica with full guitars. The latter seems like something the label would reject. GNR just don't have that open minded a fanbase, its not the 90s where everything sells. We basically end times for record industry without the illuminati nukes.

Then there was this idea about CD being a double and its kind of like CD but darker in places, nastier. Silkworms fits the bill. Maybe its a mixture of electronica filler songs and some orchestral works with Beltrami. Atlas Shrugged, The General have promising descriptions. Soul Monster Axl was enthusiastic about. Cant believe we dont have Oklahoma aka Berlin yet.

Like people say Axl could take a few of these songs and do a few more with Fortus and it's an album. Same could be said about Slash or Izzy joining. But he hinted on Kimmel he could throw everything out.

Guys, it's time to let go and move on. When Axl was 38 years old and had fire, it was excited to dream about what Chinese Democracy could have been. I LOVE that album, but it came out 6 years too late and without Bucket to market it. There is nothing big coming. No new album. Nothing.

Regardless, create a GNR playlist, put the best tunes on it, and you'll see that this band has the greatest rock n roll songs ever. But they are done. Guns was an explosive band that was bound to explode (implode) sooner or later. Axl is a genius but impossible to work for. He should just drop all of the tracks from the Chinese D era and live out his life knowing he's the greatest frontman ever and maybe every once in a while do a surprise gig.

He's a man of mystery. I private fellow. And this nostalgia tour gave us many years of awesome shows. But it's over. And that's not a bad thing.

I've always said this...the end of Prostitute is Axl's farewell song. And what a farewell it is...music fades out to nothing...enjoy it. Let go.

Guys, it's time to let go and move on. When Axl was 38 years old and had fire, it was excited to dream about what Chinese Democracy could have been. I LOVE that album, but it came out 6 years too late and without Bucket to market it. There is nothing big coming. No new album. Nothing.

Regardless, create a GNR playlist, put the best tunes on it, and you'll see that this band has the greatest rock n roll songs ever. But they are done. Guns was an explosive band that was bound to explode (implode) sooner or later. Axl is a genius but impossible to work for. He should just drop all of the tracks from the Chinese D era and live out his life knowing he's the greatest frontman ever and maybe every once in a while do a surprise gig.

He's a man of mystery. I private fellow. And this nostalgia tour gave us many years of awesome shows. But it's over. And that's not a bad thing.

I've always said this...the end of Prostitute is Axl's farewell song. And what a farewell it is...music fades out to nothing...enjoy it. Let go.

What if... you are wrong? ;)

I think Axl's lyrics mean a lot. I mean not entirely sure what or how but they seem important. Like CD songs kind of address a certain time and situation. I think Oklahoma was described as being about similar time. Ehat happens if he makes up with everyone, then what?

Would he still release Sorry, for eggsample?

Every chance was give! Oh we made up now theres nothing to sing about.

Just a thought.

If there is one criticism that completely surprised me about Chinese Democracy, it was the mediocrity of Axl's lyrics on that album: ''Sitting in a Chinese Stew; I'll kick your ass like I said that I would''? Not a patch on lyrics such as Estranged and Breakdown.

Edited by DieselDaisy

If there is one criticism that completely surprised me about Chinese Democracy, it was the mediocrity of Axl's lyrics on that album: ''Sitting in a Chinese Stew; I'll kick your ass like I said that I would''? Not a patch on lyrics such as Estranged and Breakdown.

Axl said he would sit by Slash's amp and write sometimes bc it was motivational to hear his guitar.

When he sat by Bucket's amp these are the lyrics that came to him. Just kinda all over the place and unorganized mess.

Axl just needs to hear Slash's guitar again and you'll hear some proper lyrics

Axl said he would sit by Slash's amp and write sometimes bc it was motivational to hear his guitar.

When he sat by Bucket's amp these are the lyrics that came to him. Just kinda all over the place and unorganized mess.

I think Axl's well's run dry lyrically.

What does he have to talk about now? His mansion, pool and how much he loves the Lebeis family?

In 1991, the last time he and Slash wrote something together that's been released, he had a variety of things to talk about. He was on top of the world, went from literally the gutter to the top overnight and had the world at his feet yet was struggling at the same time with said fame and immense personal demons. But now he's 53 years old, semi-retired, in a much better place mentally, materially comfortable...What's he got to say?

Axl became such a poor lyricist with CD... Myles Keneddy comes up with cliché and simple lyrics within weeks when writing for Slash and most of them are on par with Axl's "recent" work. I really like some of the lyrics from the classic era although I know lyrics were never Axl's forte.

Its only rock n roll, but I like it. Yes, yes I do. Well I like it. I like it. I said I like it.

I agree with the fact that his motivational lyrics are gone. He needs some good story telling lyrics like a Dylan or a Neil Young and needs to go for a softer lower voice. If he wants to have a big album.

53 year old Axl singing hard rock is tough and not as appealing.

I think they should do an Old Ways type record. Straight country.

I think Axl's well's run dry lyrically.

What does he have to talk about now? His mansion, pool and how much he loves the Lebeis family?

In 1991, the last time he and Slash wrote something together that's been released, he had a variety of things to talk about. He was on top of the world, went from literally the gutter to the top overnight and had the world at his feet yet was struggling at the same time with said fame and immense personal demons. But now he's 53 years old, semi-retired, in a much better place mentally, materially comfortable...What's he got to say?

On the Beach by Neil Young or some Hotel California type lyrics. LA Woman style lyrics.