History Repeating Itself

With all the movement taking place in GNR, things are changing. I mean last year Axl was discussing taking "a serious look" at the next GNR album after the Vegas shows. We keep hearing from the band that there is a lot of material here and there, it just needs to be finished. Everyone is sending in ideas and they are going from there.

But now DJ is gone, Bumble is gone. Two key members have left. Tommy is walking out the door as we speak, and he bands future is in doubt.

However, we've seen all of this before. I was just watching an old interview on Stern with Duff from 96. Stern ask Duff what's going on with the band? Where's the new album? Are you guys done? Duff's response is we are working on stuff right now. Everyone is putting ideas out there, and we are just putting together bits and pieces at the moment. The band is very much alive though and Axl is very involved.

As that year progresses, Slash leaves, Matt is fired, Gilby is gone, and Duff leaves.

So here we are in 2015 with half a band. In 97 there was half a band left. It's been 18 years since then but the cycle is repeating. GNR is evolving I guess you could say again. That record they were working on in 96...those bits and pieces will never be released to us. Those bits and pieces we've been hearing about for the next GNR record will likely never be heard.

Something drastic is going to happen next. We are right back in 97. We are likely 1 year away from finding out what the next move will be. But if history keeps repeating itself we will see a whole new lineup than the last time we saw GNR, with a whole new vision, and a new Axl. Sometimes what's new is old. And if you think I'm crazy then just go look at gas prices...its 1997 again people.

• Like 1

You're telling it like something happened in 1997, whereas we didn't hear from GnR until 2001.

No, no you didn't read. We are one year away from finding out anything. 98 was when we started hearing about this new album. I think we even got the name Chinese Democracy that year. That was the year things started to happen again.

97 is the year things are just collapsing. Slash leaves and the band has no real future it seems. I'm not saying anything will happen this year. Outside of what has already taken place.

I have to chuckle every time I read that things are bound to happen now that GnR is basically dead in the water (or blood in the water whatever).

A new album has supposedly been ready for year after year, making it an old album (much like CD was when it got released) not when but if it ever drops.

Yeah, the wheels are in motion alright. LOL.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Something drastic is going to happen next. We are right back in 97. We are likely 1 year away from finding out what the next move will be. But if history keeps repeating itself we will see a whole new lineup than the last time we saw GNR, with a whole new vision, and a new Axl. Sometimes what's new is old. And if you think I'm crazy then just go look at gas prices...its 1997 again people.

I'd say there are two options,

72.8% likelihood: GNR is over and out. It quietly and without further fuzz stops being a live band and starts being rock history for us to appreciate. No official announcements or such, but Axl's next interview around 2020 talks of GNR in past tense.

27.2% likelihood: Nostalgic Re-union tour with Slash,Axl,Izzy,Duff,Steven. Dozen or so shows. Beautiful way to take GNR to grave. After that, it stops being a live band and starts being rock history for us to appreciate.

Both of these options are infinitely better than...

...having to tolerate another new-new GNR re-incarnation.

...having to watch some shitheel like ashba literally raping the memory of GNR.

...having to listen ridiculous bullshit damagecontrol interviews/announcements where nothing is said.

Is time to let go.

Don't fear the Blue Oyster Cult cover song baby take my hand.

Edited by LTD

The difference is this time Axl isn't a man in his 30s, he's coming closer and closer to 60. I hate the thought but I find it hard to believe he's willing to start all over again, and go through all of this shit just to do a few tours (you know that's what'll happen..).

I have to chuckle every time I read that things are bound to happen now that GnR is basically dead in the water (or blood in the water whatever).

A new album has supposedly been ready for year after year, making it an old album (much like CD was when it got released) not when but if it ever drops.

Yeah, the wheels are in motion alright. LOL.

You reflect the same attitude that was presented in the late 90's about GN'R. People thought it was dead. And yes the wheels are dead right now. But according to Axl the band is still alive, and if the same scenario plays out that played out in the late 90's then activity will start next year.

Pfft. The difference between the 90's and now are quite a few things. Here's a couple.

• Axl isn't nowhere as motivated.
  • He's too old for a start from scratch rebuild.
You're trying too hard.
Axl's motivation was apparently gone around 97 also. Nobody had seen him. He wouldn't show up to the studio. It wasn't until Slash left that he started writing music again.

When I said "what's new is old" I'm referencing the fact that he's not going to have to start over. He's not going to have to do it alone. He's going to do this with the guys he started this with. He would be crazy to rebuild with new members. If he still wants this band active then he'll do it with Slash and Duff.

Honestly, it's just a fun thread to look at some similarities between the past and now. How things change and ultimately don't change. You guys are looking at this like I'm announcing the second coming of Jesus.

I know inside you guys would be thrilled if next year we get an album title, then Slash and Duff return and we get a tour and an album. Everyone just needs to lighten up though. But I get it ...nobody wants to get let down.

Edited by IncitingChaos

And if you think I'm crazy then just go look at gas prices...its 1997 again people.

I got gas for less than a dollar in 97 so yeah.

You have to account for inflation.

No I don't. Wages aren't rising here.

Sorry, I'm from Texas. Gas is a $1.80, unemployment is like 3.2

People without college degrees and work experience are making near 6 figures. And oil isn't even that high right now.

You don't have to answer this but are you still making the same you were making in 97? I mean minimum wage was $5 or something. Now it's closer to $8. I would think your salary would have increased between then?

3.2 LOL

For starters, those are cooked numbers.

Second, 99% of the new income since 07 has gone to the top 1%.

Third, people coming out of college with degrees in this country are coming out to no jobs. Texas and their brilliance. :lol:

Back to the point, this isn't the 90's.

Edited by Rustycage

Pfft. The difference between the 90's and now are quite a few things. Here's a couple.

• Axl isn't nowhere as motivated.
  • He's too old for a start from scratch rebuild.
You're trying too hard.
Axl's motivation was apparently gone around 97 also. Nobody had seen him. He wouldn't show up to the studio. It wasn't until Slash left that he started writing music again.

When I said "what's new is old" I'm referencing the fact that he's not going to have to start over. He's not going to have to do it alone. He's going to do this with the guys he started this with. He would be crazy to rebuild with new members. If he still wants this band active then he'll do it with Slash and Duff.

Honestly, it's just a fun thread to look at some similarities between the past and now. How things change and ultimately don't change. You guys are looking at this like I'm announcing the second coming of Jesus.

I know inside you guys would be thrilled if next year we get an album title, then Slash and Duff return and we get a tour and an album. Everyone just needs to lighten up though. But I get it ...nobody wants to get let down.

loljesus

Axl's motivation gone in 97? Slash left in 96. Duff and Matt later. Axl was in the studio as that is where the Matt - Paul/Axl confrontation happened. Oh My God was released not long after. Axl was extremely motivated after Slash left and even more after the rest hauled ass. He had something to prove. Now? There's nothing for him to prove and even if there were, I don't think he is prepared for that battle again. He's not young anymore and no one in the mainstream are in nugnr's corner for him to depend on.

This is NOT like the 90's.

• Like 1

I re-listened to the Eddie Trunk interview from 2006 recently and my one overriding impression whenever Axl speaks about his 'plans' is, he is making this stuff up as he goes along. There was never a 'great game plan' for CD. The ''three albums released at intervals'' was hokum. There are probably no plans now. As time lapses he - probably - has some vague idea of doing something but then his procrastination leads to the departure of band members and label trouble and that something turns into nothing. He then applies spins to the outcome to make it seem that that nothing was all part of the plan anyhow: ''we are in a much better place now (2006) than then (2002)''; ''then was not the right time to release Chinese; I am in a much better place now'', etc etc.

He basically does not know what the heck he is doing and never has haha.

• Like 1

This thread seems like a stretch.

It must really be out there considering some of the threads we've had. Haha

lol well I have read worse..

I just think it's tough to tell. Rusty was right talking how this is really like comparing apples to oranges and it seems like wishful thinking but, tough to deny that Axl's plans have changed multiple times. Hell, plans changed a thousand times over the course of trying to release Chinese. So I do like the point that there are some similarities however, I don't think Axl is as motivated to release music like he was then.

Axl was more motivated based off of sticking it to his old bandmates and proving something to the world, as well as making the music he wanted to make. I think he's come to grips with the fact that ANY new lineup won't top the old and he's come to grips with the breakup of the old band. People are finally getting what they wanted there..

• Like 1

I re-listened to the Eddie Trunk interview from 2006 recently and my one overriding impression whenever Axl speaks about his 'plans' is, he is making this stuff up as he goes along. There was never a 'great game plan' for CD. The ''three albums released at intervals'' was hokum. There are probably no plans now. As time lapses he - probably - has some vague idea of doing something but then his procrastination leads to the departure of band members and label trouble and that something turns into nothing. He then applies spins to the outcome to make it seem that that nothing was all part of the plan anyhow: ''we are in a much better place now (2006) than then (2002)''; ''then was not the right time to release Chinese; I am in a much better place now'', etc etc.

He basically does not know what the heck he is doing and never has haha.

A lot of bands envision an album to be a certain way and it turns out to be a whole other thing or the record label refuses to put it out unless changes are made.That was brought up by Tommy and Axl being one of the problems. I don't think Axl would second guess himself the way he did in trying to turn the album in to Interscope, it's a different guy running it. I think he played into why the Blu Ray was released.