Axl talks about Paul Tobias, 1988

Dr. Who

https://youtu.be/AvNZV1dADkY?t=2m55s

"Coming from Indiana, I used to play with this guitar player named Paul, and I learned about blues and emotionalism and stuff through him, and he was a big Page fanatic. And then I came to L.A. and saw all these people trying to be Eddie Van Halen, and it took five years to find somebody who played more from the heart rather than just trying to be the fastest, and trying to do this and that to be a big rockstar, someone who, like, he'll be very quiet and stuff most of the time and really won't let a lot of himself out until he picks up the guitar - and then his heart and soul seems to pour out through the guitar, and it's just like, I sit down a lot of times at shows, I'll sit down right on the stage right in front of his amp when he (Slash) is doing a solo, because it means so much to me just to hear that."

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/AvNZV1dADkY?t=2m55s

"Coming from Indiana, I used to play with this guitar player named Paul, and I learned about blues and emotionalism and stuff through him, and he was a big Page fanatic. And then I came to L.A. and saw all these people trying to be Eddie Van Halen, and it took five years to find somebody who played more from the heart rather than just trying to be the fastest, and trying to do this and that to be a big rockstar, someone who, like, he'll be very quiet and stuff most of the time and really won't let a lot of himself out until he picks up the guitar - and then his heart and soul seems to pour out through the guitar, and it's just like, I sit down a lot of times at shows, I'll sit down right on the stage right in front of his amp when he (Slash) is doing a solo, because it means so much to me just to hear that."

The first part is about Paul

"Coming from Indiana, I used to play with this guitar player named Paul, and I learned about blues and emotionalism and stuff through him, and he was a big Page fanatic.

the rest is about Slash

it took five years to find somebody (SLASH) who played more from the heart rather than just trying to be the fastest, and trying to do this and that to be a big rockstar, someone who, like, he (SLASH)'ll be very quiet and stuff most of the time and really won't let a lot of himself out until he (SLASH) picks up the guitar - and then his (SLASH'S) heart and soul seems to pour out through the guitar, and it's just like, I sit down a lot of times at shows, I'll sit down right on the stage right in front of his (SLASH'S)amp when he (SLASH) is doing a solo, because it means so much to me just to hear that."

WHAT A TERRIFIC INTERVIEW, i had seen bits of it but never this much

their teeth look really real there

people used to look more real before

now the dentists took over and gave everyone a standard white smile

In the second part he does talk about Slash but I see it as he parralels what he was looking for, someone that was approaching music from the heart, like he felt Paul did?

It's just interesting that he refers to Paul as the guy who introduced Axl to the blues, to emotive guitar playing, which is what lead Axl to seek out and eventually find Slash, and yet Paul would also serve as the major reason Slash departed 8 years later. A little irony there.

• Like 1

Yes indeed. And also that he says he wasn't looking for the most technical player that could align fast notes etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore what Bucket did on CD (some playing like the Sorry solo is to me full of soul) but he's like the anti-Slash. Same goes with BBF.

In the second part he does talk about Slash but I see it as he parralels what he was looking for, someone that was approaching music from the heart, like he felt Paul did?

It's just interesting that he refers to Paul as the guy who introduced Axl to the blues, to emotive guitar playing, which is what lead Axl to seek out and eventually find Slash, and yet Paul would also serve as the major reason Slash departed 8 years later. A little irony there.

You are mistaken.

Paul Tobias was NOT the main reason Slash left.

Its more like he was the final straw.

the last (or final) straw
  1. 1.
    a further difficulty or annoyance, typically minor in itself but coming on top of a whole series of difficulties, that makes a situation unbearable.

Yes indeed. And also that he says he wasn't looking for the most technical player that could align fast notes etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore what Bucket did on CD (some playing like the Sorry solo is to me full of soul) but he's like the anti-Slash. Same goes with BBF.

Good point about BH and BBF being like the anti-Slash. I guess by that point Axl's frustration towards Slash had hit its peak so he wanted guitar players who could bring something different to the table, rather than someone who would just emulate Slash.

It was really cool to see Axl say such nice things about Slash here, though, and really get a sense for why he was so insisting on Slash and Paul working together. It's a shame it didn't work out. Hopefully if Slash does really end up returning now he can work well with Richard