Anyone else find a reunion without new material to be utterly boring?

Axl has said things in the past that he has either changed his mind on, or circumstance dictated he change direction, but! I do remember him saying that the only way he would entertain a reunion idea was if there was something creatively exciting for him; basically the money wasn't enough of a reason... well, that's what he said when was on here in 2009.

Slash is always! writing new music and he definitely wants to release more guns music to "right the ship", so I can't see him or any of the other guys deciding to go out and just become a nostalgia act. I think they all appreciate and respect the history of the band and would rather leave it alone completely rather than soiling it with a straight up cash grab. If there's just touring it's a nostalgia cash grab, IF they play a little new music on these shows or reveal a new album is forthcoming then it's legitimate in my eyes.

It certainly will have novelty value for the first weeks and months just on Slash and Duff being back, but for actual guns fans, we'll need some new music.

GNR's best songwriters were/are Izzy, Axl, Gilby and Duff. Will they bring back Izzy? maybe..Gilby? probably not, which is a shame.

Slash brings the riffs, but we don't need riffs in search of songs (solo work). Slash cannot be demanding like he was in 95' and instruct the others to play his songs the way he wants them to be played. He needs to be patient and allow the tunesmiths to work on the material and get it up to peak GNR level.

The problem is time and Axl. He needs to go back to 1986 and start writing lyrics like nightrain or out ta get me rapidly. He needs to find that fire asap..I don't know how he's going to do it, but I hope he does.

One of the best gnr songwriters? GILBY!? NO! NO! NO! I love the guy and enjoyed his part in Guns history and I would even like to see him pop up on stage with them at some point or another but he wasn't a GnR songwriter. Decent guitar player, OK singer and in his own right a capable songwriter.

There's also very little chance that Axl is going to find the fire that he had on AFD or even UYI. Totally different person now - mentally, physically, financially... Axl can still come up with the goods, but if you want him to come out with AFD style craziness on a new record in 2016/17 or whenever! I fear you'll be disappointed.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

Axl has said things in the past that he has either changed his mind on, or circumstance dictated he change direction, but! I do remember him saying that the only way he would entertain a reunion idea was if there was something creatively exciting for him; basically the money wasn't enough of a reason... well, that's what he said when was on here in 2009.

Slash is always! writing new music and he definitely wants to release more guns music to "right the ship", so I can't see him or any of the other guys deciding to go out and just become a nostalgia act. I think they all appreciate and respect the history of the band and would rather leave it alone completely rather than soiling it with a straight up cash grab. If there's just touring it's a nostalgia cash grab, IF they play a little new music on these shows or reveal a new album is forthcoming then it's legitimate in my eyes.

It certainly will have novelty value for the first weeks and months just on Slash and Duff being back, but for actual guns fans, we'll need some new music.

GNR's best songwriters were/are Izzy, Axl, Gilby and Duff. Will they bring back Izzy? maybe..Gilby? probably not, which is a shame.

Slash brings the riffs, but we don't need riffs in search of songs (solo work). Slash cannot be demanding like he was in 95' and instruct the others to play his songs the way he wants them to be played. He needs to be patient and allow the tunesmiths to work on the material and get it up to peak GNR level.

The problem is time and Axl. He needs to go back to 1986 and start writing lyrics like nightrain or out ta get me rapidly. He needs to find that fire asap..I don't know how he's going to do it, but I hope he does.

One of the best gnr songwriters? GILBY!? NO! NO! NO! I love the guy and enjoyed his part in Guns history and I would even like to see him pop up on stage with them at some point or another but he wasn't a GnR songwriter. Decent guitar player, OK singer and in his own right a capable songwriter.

There's also very little chance that Axl is going to find the fire that he had on AFD or even UYI. Totally different person now - mentally, physically, financially... Axl can still come up with the goods, but if you want him to come out with AFD style craziness on a new record in 2016/17 or whenever! I fear you'll be disappointed.

Fair enough, but I feel that the material on Pawnshop Guitars would have made for a great GNR album. He also has great songs on his other solo albums which could have fit on a GNR album.

Well, if Axl can't find THAT kind of fire again, then I don't see the point in releasing 'passable' GNR material.

Edited by sonofnazareth

If people have become jaded because they followed nuGNR, that is on them. No one forced you to follow that creatively inactive touring band. The vast majority of GNR fans had the good sense to check out, or at most, follow sporadically. If you've been sat up on these message boards for years, eating up any scrap of info in the hopes of new music, again, that is on you.

This is not boring. You are.

And, there will be new music.

Edited by Babooshka
  • Like 1

the good thing is, "albums" are dead, it's singles era again. so there can be no pressure in that regard - all they have to do is,

go through the motions and along the way come up with 2 or 3 GnR trademark numbers. maybe not as raw as AFD, or youthful as Lies, or creative as UYI, but

something that everyone will unequivocally recognize as GnR. have it released on iTunes, they'll be all over the place before you know it.