Interviews + Media reactions to AXL/DC, good and bad

The Archer

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 1:32 PM, TheDemocracyRose said:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-05-09/ac-dc-axl-rose-gunsnroses-dc-lisbon

From those about to rock, we salute you...

Dear Axl,

Apologies for getting in touch on such a public forum, but as you’re presently jet-setting around Europe we weren’t sure of the best way to get hold of you: that time we camped outside your home in LA ended badly for all concerned, and the restraining order also applies to emails, texts, phone calls and even Tinder messaging, apparently, so…

Anyway, it’s fair to say that we haven’t always seen eye-to-eye in the post-Use Your Illusionyears. This isn’t the time to point fingers and apportion blame, but for the record, it was you not us. Those riots, those tantrums, the whole Chinese Democracy debacle, those times children (and indeed grown adults) walked out of your gigs in tears because you were enjoying a second portion of pie three hours after stage-time, that shit is all on you buddy. But in fairness, we’ve been no angels either. The ‘Keith Lemon’ memes, the shooray for tolerance!ing at your corn-rows, the #TeamSlashIzzyDuffSteven hashtags… all very childish and unbecoming. And when we heard the rumours that you were set to replace Beano in AC/DC… well, let’s just say our reaction made the hysterical sweary bit from Get In The Ring sound like Katherine Jenkins singing All Things Bright and Beautiful. But that’s all in the past.

Full disclosure: on Saturday night, as we waited with bated breath to see how your virgin bow with AC/DC might turn out, we felt a little like vultures circling above carrion. We were expecting a car crash, a train wreck, an omnishambolic clusterfuck… and yet another opportunity to put the boot in with the rest of the professionally-indignant/personally-offended, puce-faced culture vigilantes. What we weren’t expecting was for you to turn up on time (well… pretty much), all smiles and sweet talk, and absolutely nail it, like a fucking boss.

We understand that the official reason given for you sitting down onstage at the Passeio Maritimo de Algés on Saturday night was because of a broken metatarsal in your left foot. Get well soon, and all that, if that’s indeed the case. Because from where we were watching, we thought you might need that chair purely because you’re toting around THE BIGGEST BALLS IN ROCK! Who else would have the nerve, the chutzpah, the sheer cojones to face down one of the most fiercely partisan audiences in rock at their most feisty and belligerent and end up charming the entire stadium’s knickers off? The cheeky mention of ‘Portuguese thighs’ inYou Shook Me All Night Long? Nice. That moment where you stopped the “Axl! Axl!” chant and started up an “Angus! Angus!” roar instead? Well played brother, well played. We always knew you could pull off the vocals – no, honestly, we did - but truthfully it’s not often we’ve considered employing the words ‘humility’, ‘class’ and ‘dignity’ when considering your actions onstage, and this weekend we were genuinely impressed. And perhaps even a little embarrassed by our own readiness to shoulder pitchforks with the mob in the past few weeks.

So hey, please consider this an apology Axl. We’re sorry for doubting you. There was us thinking that this was all about ego and pay cheques, when in fact you’ve proven yourself to be rock ‘n’ roll’s own Good Samaritan, thoughtfully guiding a weary OAP across the highway from Hell (if you’ll excuse the clumsy mixed metaphors and misappropriated song title). Fair fucks to you, we didn’t see this coming at all. Good job, man, keep it up. From those about to rock, we salute you.

Your friends,

The (Rock) World and His Wife x

yeah well I guess I will grudgingly accept this we true Axl lovers never had ANY doubts! :P

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, Len B'stard said:

Rogers a proper hardnut y'know.  He banged out Townshend once, like put him out cold, kicked the fuck out of Moonie, not that either of those are feats.  He was sort of well known as a bully though, something he denies, despite admitting that he was a 'barrow boy from Shepherds Bush' and solved problems 'with a punch up' as a young lad because it's just how things were done.

who cares what yellow old horsey teeth has to say?? not me. never liked him or the Who. JMO!:axl92:  :headbang:

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:05 AM, The Archer said:

Yes, always loved Bon. He's still my number 1 frontman. I've heard that rumor on an AC/DC forum once - that the Young brothers wanted to get rid of Bon, but it was never substantiated. I'm not sure that there was much truth to it.

oh me too! Bon was my first, the one who was all MINE. my friends all had their faves, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler whoever but for me the minute I heard Bon I was lost! and when I saw him he was so damn sexy and cute, loved the twinkle in his eyes and who doesn't love a guy who can rock out the BAGPIPES?? when he died I was devastated. I tried to like Brian Johnson and post Bon AC/DC but sadly I could not. I became someone who just listened when a Bon song came on the radio. of course I had the albums but after a while...anyway, now Axl is here and I love him in GN'R but I am really digging him in AXL/DC and think Bon would be saying "good job mate. now let's teach ya the bagpipes!" :P

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, The Archer said:

Adding the pre-tour interviews here so that they are in one place - both with the BBC interview and the video interviews with the band here:

Axl, Angus and Cliff on BBC 6

Angus & Cliff on Brian, Axl pays tribute #RockOrBust

Axl on his love for AC/DC and coming onboard for the Rock Or Bust European tour. #RockOrBust

Angus, Cliff and Axl on the magic of an AC/DC audience - 

AC/DC's alchemy on stage -

Choosing the setlist -

I love this! first, anytime I can just listen to Axl talk is a bonus ( his speaking voice is sexy as hell, just like his singing voice ) second, these pics I am seeing of Axl? OMG he looks so good! I am a very happy Axl lovin' chick these days! and if Axl is reading this? hope you are reading your twitter ;) :axl92::wub:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

I have no idea why I keep coming back to this when I am trying to quote something else!! :/

Just check your write message box at the bottom - you may have to delete the quote from an earlier reply before you create a new message. This seems to happen when you hit the back button to reply - sometimes the quote from an earlier message remains and you have to delete it before writing a new message, with a new quote.

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh me too! Bon was my first, the one who was all MINE. my friends all had their faves, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler whoever but for me the minute I heard Bon I was lost! and when I saw him he was so damn sexy and cute, loved the twinkle in his eyes and who doesn't love a guy who can rock out the BAGPIPES?? when he died I was devastated. I tried to like Brian Johnson and post Bon AC/DC but sadly I could not. I became someone who just listened when a Bon song came on the radio. of course I had the albums but after a while...anyway, now Axl is here and I love him in GN'R but I am really digging him in AXL/DC and think Bon would be saying "good job mate. now let's teach ya the bagpipes!" :P

I think one writer said it best about Bon - "women wanted to be with him and men wanted to be like him". Axl has some of that too, no doubt.

• Like 1

yes! I have heard that about Axl and Bon. they are really rather similar in a lot of ways, both definitely talented, charismatic, and giving the music their all! if I had been older I think Jim Morrison would have been like that for me too ( well his memory is kind of that for me ) but when I was like 5 years old bopping around singing "Touch Me" I had no clue lol! :dance:anyway we both have very good taste I think. and thanks for the technical advice, I am so technologically challenged :blink:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

http://www.musicweek.com/opinion/read/editorial-can-broken-axl-keep-ac-dc-tourbus-on-the-road/064765

Editorial: can broken Axl keep AC/DC tourbus on the road?

by Mark Sutherland 
1 day ago

Axl Rose has been many things over the years. Iconic rock star, primo rock douchebag, man in desperate need of a decent alarm clock… you name it, Axl has filled the role.

What he hasn’t generally been seen as is a man you can rely on. So when AC/DC found themselves without a singer, frontman Brian Johnson having been forced to stop touring because of hearing problems, Rose didn’t seem like the obvious man to turn to. Especially as he’d just broken his foot and is unable to stand on stage.

But turn to him AC/DC did, with Rose due to fill in as Angus Young and co’s frontman for the rest of their Rock Or Bust world tour. And so Music Week found itself shivering on an exposed viewing platform in the pouring rain in Lisbon, Portugal for what seemed likely to be the rock’n’roll car crash of the summer.

But, as it turns out, Rose – even while seated on what looks like a half-heartedly customised office chair – is the perfect man for the job. AC/DC seem to have had a positive influence not only on his notoriously poor timekeeping (the band arrive only five minutes later than billed, rather than Rose’s standard 1-2 hours) but also his general demeanour. He seems affable. Humble even. Not words we ever expected to type, to be honest, but there you go.

Musically, it works too. With Young doing the upfront showmanship, Rose concentrates on hitting the high notes (and he does hit almost all of them), employing his trademark siren wail to particularly good effect on classics from the Bon Scott era. He seems less confident on the Johnson material, no doubt wary of the fan backlash over the manner of the singer’s departure, but anyone worried whether AC/DC will still sound like AC/DC can consider those fears put to bed, tucked in and read a really lovely bedtime story.

AXL/DC’s world tour extends across the summer, including dates in London and Manchester in June. Some European dates have apparently been hit with multiple refund requests, but as a way to keep the wheels on one of touring’s biggest draws, the Rose move now looks like a seriously smart one.

It seems unlikely that the relationship will extend beyond this tour – Roses also having the small matter of a Guns N’Roses reunion tour to attend to. But whatever band he’s in, everyone had better get used to Rose’s new role: that of a good man in a crisis. Go figure.

On May 12, 2016 at 0:59 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

I love this! first, anytime I can just listen to Axl talk is a bonus ( his speaking voice is sexy as hell, just like his singing voice ) second, these pics I am seeing of Axl? OMG he looks so good! I am a very happy Axl lovin' chick these days! and if Axl is reading this? hope you are reading your twitter ;) :axl92::wub:

Wow. 

5 hours ago, nn18 said:

Um...''Axel''.....you would think at least Nirvana bass player can spell it correctly, but nooo :lol:

After spending a good portion of my teenage and young adult years arguing with Nirvana fans, I would lose my mind if Krist and Dave and maybe even Courtney ever joined Axl and Slash on stage. But my only solace is that I'm just sure that those guys publicly making peace would be way, way more traumatic for Axl hating Nirvana fans :lol:.

Edited by The Archer

Phil Rudd Questions Current AC/DC Lineup, Says His Return Up to Angus Young
http://loudwire.com/phil-rudd-questions-ac-dc-lineup-return-up-to-angus-young/

It was a rough 2015 for estranged AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd. The stickman found himself embattled in a host of legal woes, ultimately leading to house arrest and his dismissal from the band, at least for the time being. In a new interview, he opened up about the current AC/DC lineup now featuring Axl Rose and speculated his potential return to the rock icons.

With Chris Slade sitting in his place behind the kit in AC/DC, Rudd has remained at his Australian home after being sentenced to eight months of house arrest. Revealing how the court order has helped to improve his life, he appeared content in an interview with the New Zealand Herald. When asked about his communication with other members, including Rose who has replaced Brian Johnson while he was forced off tour at risk of total hearing loss if he continued, Rudd said, “No, I have not spoken to Axl. He has not spoken to me.”

The conversation then shifted towards the possibility of the band welcoming Rudd back, to which he conceded, “It is up to Angus [Young], what he wants to do. I am limited to where I can go.” In a previous interview, it was pointed out Rudd was adamant about his eventual return, but revealed he has had a change in attitude, stating, “I was over-fueled. All over the place. I am not like that any more. I’ve never felt better as a drummer or a person. I am not saying I never hope of ever playing with AC/DC again but, then again, is it even AC/DC any more? No Bon’s [Scott] beautiful voice. No Malcolm [Young]. No Brian [Johnson].”

Malcolm Young retired from the group as a result of dementia and was replaced by Angus Young’s nephew Stevie, who had filled in for Malcolm previously on a tour in 1988.

Rudd was faced with legal issues after an arrest for threatening to kill two people and drug possession for cannabis as well as methamphetamines. The drummer appealed his house arrest sentence, citing loss of income as he was unable to tour with AC/DC, but since the band showed no sign of an attempt to bring him on tour, the appeal was lost

The original interview with more details about Phil Rudd and his recovery can be found here - 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11638962

Him saying "No Bon" seems like a bit of a moot point considering he's the drummer on all but four of the Brian albums. I get what he's saying though. He's got a fair point with Brian and Malcolm being gone, an opinion many share, but do we really believe he wouldn't jump at the chance to be back on drums even if it's with the current AXL/DC incarnation? That said, I think Angus is done with him. If Slade retires, I don't necessarily think it'll be Phil returning but I guess we'll see. Hopefully he's turned his life around a bit! Asking him if he's talked to Axl was a pretty stupid question I must say. Why would they have spoken?

18 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Him saying "No Bon" seems like a bit of a moot point considering he's the drummer on all but four of the Brian albums. I get what he's saying though. He's got a fair point with Brian and Malcolm being gone, an opinion many share, but do we really believe he wouldn't jump at the chance to be back on drums even if it's with the current AXL/DC incarnation? That said, I think Angus is done with him. If Slade retires, I don't necessarily think it'll be Phil returning but I guess we'll see. Hopefully he's turned his life around a bit! Asking him if he's talked to Axl was a pretty stupid question I must say. Why would they have spoken?

That is why Axl is a harder sell. If Malcolm was still in the band it would be easier to swallow but the double blow of Malcolm and Brian - not to mention Phil - makes it harder to accept; AC/DC have been decimated in the space of a few years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Asking him if he's talked to Axl was a pretty stupid question I must say. Why would they have spoken?

That was a reference to Axl joking in the NME interview about having spoken to Phil to get rid of the other singers who were in contention for the job. 

As for 'No Bon', I think that he was just being nostalgic about his early days in the band, as well as showing a bit of a case of sour grapes in questioning whether it was 'still AC/DC' - it must be difficult for him to have lost the gig twice. Can't blame him at all.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is why Axl is a harder sell. If Malcolm was still in the band it would be easier to swallow but the double blow of Malcolm and Brian - not to mention Phil - makes it harder to accept; AC/DC have been decimated in the space of a few years.

It's been a rough few years for the band to say the least. I think it's motivating Angus to really prove AC/DC can still do it. Big name guest singer, longer set, energetic shows... He definitely gets credit for making the best of a terrible situation.

7 hours ago, The Archer said:

That was a reference to Axl joking in the NME interview about having spoken to Phil to get rid of the other singers who were in contention for the job. 

As for 'No Bon', I think that he was just being nostalgic about his early days in the band, as well as showing a bit of a case of sour grapes in questioning whether it was 'still AC/DC' - it must be difficult for him to have lost the gig twice. Can't blame him at all.

Right I forgot about that. Still a stupid question considering how painfully obvious it was that Axl was joking.

See that's where I can't sympathize with him on the sour grapes. He did it to himself. Late for the ROB sessions, missing photo and video shoots, and even then he blew the second chances Angus was giving him. Add in the drugs and the death threats (all because he was pissed that his legendary solo album didn't do well) and you get the picture of a very unpleasant man. I do hope he's learned from it and cleans himself up - he deserves that at the very least. However, I haven't liked the "woe is me" card he's played since he got the boot.

• Like 1

There seems to have been a lull in actual reviews for the shows lately, with most news articles just recycling information from the early, positive reviews. I guess we might have to wait till the UK shows to see some real reviews now.

I did come across this one article from the Sydney Morning Herald again that I had seen before. It was published before this thread was started.  At the time, there was plenty of harsh criticism about the Axl/DC pairing. But, even then, this one stood out for how vicious its sentiment was against Axl in particular and against GN'R too. Some of it is understandable of course, considering that AC/DC is viewed as some kind of national treasure in Australia. But, even with how good the Axl/DC combo has been or how much positive press it has got, this is one author who likely isn't changing his mind at any time. While this has probably been seen already by many, it's worth adding to the thread, just for the record as well as for being a reminder of the extent of skepticism there was about Axl being a fit for AC/DC.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-paired-with-axl-rose-a-tragic-insult-20160418-go8jj8.html#ixzz48splp6pm

AC/DC paired with Axl Rose a tragic insult

April 17, 2016

Bernard Zuel

Senior music writer

Your mother was right, as usual. It's all fun and games, until someone's reputation gets taken out.

And for a veteran band, once you've lost your reputation – in this case for a kind of dignity – there's no real going back. There's only various stages of ridicule. Just ask INXS. Or Chantoozies.

When the rumour began that AC/DC, having lost their third frontman in 45 years – this time not to death or disunity, but to damage – were thinking of carrying on, it seemed a little funny and a little sad, but not really credible.

Founding member and main songwriter Malcolm Young had been lost a year earlier to dementia, and long-serving drummer Phil Rudd was being kept at home by the New Zealand constabulary, and that seemed a good time to end.

But Malcolm's brother, Angus, and long-time singer, Brian Johnson, were still at the core of the band, there was one last album and maybe those rhythm guitar parts and four-square riffs of Malcolm's could be repeated, on stage at least, in this case by his nephew. It felt a little wrong, but there was such a core of affection for the group that few were likely to begrudge them that last gesture.

But when Johnson was told by his doctors to quit or go deaf, ending his 36 years as the "new" singer who had replaced the iconic Bon Scott and helped turn the band into one of the behemoths of rock, everyone expected – everyone knew – this meant AC/DC had reached a natural end.

Then the stories appeared that maybe a stand-in singer would help finish the tour. Contractual obligation? Surely not. An inability to say enough is enough? Maybe, but even if that were so, who could they draft who wouldn't be a weak alternative or a feeble joke?

Go the INXS route with one-time-singers-for-hire Terence Trent D'Arby or Jon Stevens? Stevens, after all, could complete his set of signature Australian bands as a stand-in with this and Powderfinger. And maybe Chantoozies.

John Farnham? Well it sorta worked with Little River Band. Even Dave Evans, who has made a semi-living out of being the bloke no one remembers being the frontman in AC/DC before Scott, but will talk to you endlessly about the band he hasn't known for 40 years, popped up, inevitably, to offer his services. OK, that was actually laughable, especially the people who took his calls and wrote up his offer.

That Axl Rose, of Guns N' Roses, came out of nowhere as an option interested the more excitable in the world of "celebrity journalism", but no one who took this business seriously thought AC/DC would sink that low. The guy had destroyed his own band of reprobates, had become a byword for unfulfilled promises, bad clothing choices and far worse use of a bandanna than Peter FitzSimons. No way would they do that.

Well, weren't we idiots? No way? Yes way.

Now that AC/DC – who coolly brushed aside Johnson's near-four decades with a thank-you for "his contribution and dedication to the band" – have said Rose "has kindly offered his support to help us fulfil this commitment" on their current tour, there is no going back. And that is a tragedy.

Of course, that's over the top: a tragedy. It's a bunch of guys plugging in and playing loud. So what?

Well, firstly AC/DC aren't just a band. They're an investment of dedication and idealism for themselves and two or three generations of fans, representing a series of standards, good and bad.

They do things simply. They do things repetitively. They do things the same way they've always done them and they do it without fuss. They respect each other and they respect the fans. They haven't written a different song in nearly 40 years and I long ago grew tired of hearing them, but they never wavered from what they set themselves to do.

None of those things have ever been associated with Axl Rose. Whatever you think of Guns N' Roses – and I think they were, and will be again, a severely limited bit of rock's afterthoughts with, at best, five good songs and several of those "good" because they're almost comically cliched – you would never confuse their standards and their performance with AC/DC.

It says something to your fans when the person you choose to stand in is, in many ways, anathema to what you say you believe in and what your fans have come to believe in.

And that's the other reason why this wrong-headed decision is a "tragedy". Because they won't just remodel a band, they will remake what it stands for.

AC/DC with  Axl Rose is comic without a laugh, stupid without the clarity of simplicity, and crass without even a single entendre. If this is to be their last gesture, the last memory many thousands will have of them, it will be one long insult.

Edited by The Archer
edited for grammar