Ain't that a bitch
Ya up and split
Ain't that a bitch
It's all your mess
Ain't that a bitch
Whatcha say for yourself

Way to go, ya done it again, it's all your fault
Way to go, ya done it again, it's all your fault

I can't find anything about this song. Probably somebody who have old rock magazines can find smth..but the album is perfect! 

1 minute ago, Zoot said:

The 'who's railin who' line always made me think of divorce but I think this album was too early for that? Wasn't there an interview where he said the song was about a friend having relationship problems?

Yes. Definitely too early for that. I've never read the interview you mentioned but it makes sense. It's probably about someone else.

• Like 1

Ok so here’s what Izzy had to say about 117 Degrees.

Taken from: https://web.archive.org/web/20101225141332/http://www.chopaway.com/viewtopic.php?id=523

THE ALBUM

Izzy Stradlin recently discussed the songs on 117° (Geffen Records). Produced by Stradlin, Eddie Ashworth (Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds, Sublime), and Bill Price (the Sex Pistols, the Clash), the disc was recorded in England, Trinidad and California and released March 10, 1998

"Ain't It a Bitch": That's one of the last songs I wrote for the album. It's a frustration song, dealing with some of the hassles involved in putting a record together. It's a very Stonsy thing. The open-G tuning - if you do that, you'll get that Stonesy sound.

"Gotta Say": We recorded that in London. It's about people who bullshit you, and seeing right through them. Someone I knew was doing that, being a real pain in the ass. That was kind of a moody time. But, you know, it passes. Eddie [Ashworth] plays mandolin on there.

"Memphis": This was written by Chuck Berry. He was a true innovator, and he's got such an incredible history. I love his stuff. It's never too heavy. You never put on a Chuck Berry record and go, "God, this is depressing." It's all fun.

"Old Hat": That's a piss-take, kind of riffing on some stupid, clichéd stuff. The cocaine line is a reference to the old rock star bullshit, and how you just get over it. While we were tracking the song, the North Hollywood bank robbery was happening. And I was thinking how even stuff like that, you see it so much on TV that it becomes old news. You just kind of bet on the car chases. You become cold.

"Bleedin'": That's about someone I knew who was still bellyachin' about this chick who'd split a long time before. It's kind of a "get over it" song. I haven't even told the guy it's about that it's about him. Maybe if I tell him, he'll finally get on with his life.

"Parasite": Angry - that says it all.

"Good Enough": This was recorded in Trinidad. I felt like everything in my life was fine, but I was getting a lot of flak, a lot of judgement calls on my life from other people. And I thought, "Wait a minute, man. This shit's GOOD ENOUGH for me! I'm happy with it. Fuck you!"

"117°": That's a full-on roead-trip song. My dad, brothers, uncle and I all rode Harleys from Lafayette [Ind.] to New Orleans, then down to Texas. Then just my brother Joe and I rode to L.A. We were out for eight or nine days total, ridin' eight to ten hours a day, cruising along with nothing to think about. Riding all day is like therapy. By the time we got to Yuma [California], though, it was 117°.

"Here Before You": I have no idea what this song's about. I just woke up one morning with the chorus in my head. I think I'd heard that song "I Saw You First," by John Cougar Mellencamp, and it stuck with me. That line seemed to describe a real innocent, childlike mentality. But then the song turned into a car-oriented song. I was gonna call it "The Parking Lot Song." You know how people get in parking lots - "I saw that space first!"

"Up Jumped the Devil": That's a Ronnie Dawson song. He's got a great record called Ronnie Dawson: Monkey Beat that I got turned onto in Indiana. There are about ten real rockabilly tunes on there - simple, basic stuff - that really stick. On this version, the guitar's tuned down to a low D, which gives it a thick, swampy sound.

"Grunt": This is my favorite song on the record. I worked on it for quite a while. I started it in Indiana, and we tracked it in Santa Monica. I wanted something like "Frankenstein," by Edgar Winter.

"Freight Train": I have a thing about trains because I grew up by the railroad tracks. I've always loved 'em, the sound of the whistle, the way you can feel it go by the house. In fact, I still live by the railroad tracks.

"Methanol": We had a speedway motorcycle that ran on methanol. It's really high-octane stuff - highly explosive. Those bikes will go from zero to 60 in three seconds, just wicked fast. I had jugs of methanol in my garage, which is how I got the idea for the song. It started out with the fast riff, and then Rick came up with the drop-down riff we sing over. Then it turned into a song about cars.

"Surf Roach": I wrote this with my brother Joe. He lives in Lafayette and he's a real good musician. We've always jammed, but it's the little-brother syndrome, where you smack him in the head and say, "You can't play!" We hang together all the time when I'm back home. He was helping us out as a guitar tech when we were recording in Santa Monica. We were jamming on acoustics, and hi came up with this really cool, fast part that ended up in the song. It really made it work. Before that, this was a little three-chord thing I was gonna toss. I've always liked surf guitar, and over the past couple of years I've really gotten into the Ventures, all that stuff. Then I saw "Pulp Fiction" and it got me really fired up - I headed straight for the guitar.

• Thanks 3

Just now, Boogs said:

"Ain't It a Bitch": That's one of the last songs I wrote for the album. It's a frustration song, dealing with some of the hassles involved in putting a record together. It's a very Stonsy thing. The open-G tuning - if you do that, you'll get that Stonesy sound.

That makes absolutely no sense. :rofl-lol:  Is this kinda like how "F.P. Money is about some random show on HBO" when we all know it's totally not?? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Zoot said:

That makes absolutely no sense. :rofl-lol:  Is this kinda like how "F.P. Money is about some random show on HBO" when we all know it's totally not?? :lol:

6 minutes ago, cindy1985 said:

dealing with some of the hassles involved in putting a record together??:violin:

Exactly. It's about Axl. :P

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Exactly. It's about Axl. :P

They can't all be about Axl. :P

Maybe he was having problems with his relationship and they patched things up only to divorce a couple years later?

That's my conspiracy theory anyway.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Zoot said:

Maybe he was having problems with his relationship and they patched things up only to divorce a couple years later?

giphy.gif

mmmm..maybe you 're right but i always assume that sweet caress was a divorce song for some reason,The album released 1998 and they divorced two years later so your conspiracy theory has a base..

Edited by cindy1985
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zoot said:

giphy.gif

If I was his wife (was he married back then? Or was it on 95?) and that song was about me I'll be pissed off. I kinda get why he uses such a excuse if my theory is correct :awesomeface:

15 minutes ago, Zoot said:

giphy.gif

I know they can't all be about Axl. But it always makes sense. Not MY fault! lol

If they patched up together it worked for another 5 years or so. That's not too bad. But somehow I guess it is about somebody else's relationship or a collection of shitty relationship and experiences Izzy had in his past. And Axl.

:rofl-lol:

Edited by Tori72
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Tori72 said:

I have an obsession with the white guitar as well, the hollow body. I can't decide what is more beautiful, the guitar or Izzy. :P

And yes, pleeeease, go start the 117 lyrics.

This piece is hilarious! One of my favorites:

"Izzy picked up the Bulgarian Nose Flute at the age of 3, and by the age of 2, he could solo like fuck. Eat your heart out Slash. Bitch. Slash didn't really care, so Izzy cummed on his leg. It's true, read Slash's book."

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

And this one:

6b3e0e429c121056fe083e2f3ee73899.jpg

:o EMO MYSPACE MIRROR PICTURE!!! That caption is so exact. :lol:

(Still he looks so :drool::drool::drool::drool:)

This is so true for me, too. :lol:

LMAO I don't know who wrote this, but he isn't a fan of Axl and Duff, theirs are the worst :laugh:

10 hours ago, dgnr said:

Happy anniversary 'No! Gang'! It was an awesome year, I learnt so much about our lord and saviour and fell so hard for him and his fashion abilities that I need to thank you all for showing me where the light was :hug: Thank you, @SerenityScorp for starting this paradise here!!

'Izzy however did comment on GNR's follow up album, of punk covers, saying 'you just cannot have fries without ketchup. Its like having two balls and no dick' 
This quote, well, accurate af :shrugs:

Lol I now right?? that one was the best :lol:

1 hour ago, cindy1985 said:

mmmm..maybe you 're right but i always assume that sweet caress was a divorce song for some reason,The album released 1998 and they divorced two years later so your conspiracy theory has a base..

Yeah @ZootZoot conspiracy theory makes sense divorce doesn't happen right away so it's not too early 

• Like 1

Yay, it's happening! Sorry for being late but I'm here now. I agree, ain't it a bitch is not about recording as it's pretty clearly about a relationship. What confuses me a bit is the she-you-I thing.

At first I thought that he referred to himself as in the "you" in the first verse, but the second verse gets confusing as he writes that i'm (he's?) not gonna stress and that it's all your (his) mess. Those two don't really go together well when he is referring to himself as the "you", not unless he is suddenly changing POVs.

But then there's the bridge (?) part after the first verse that goes "I tell ya one thing, yeah that's the last time I lose my head again, I'll keep my mouth shut" sounds like the "you" in the first verse is him.

But then the bridge after the second verse goes the same, but instead of "I", he uses "you" so... ??? Also, third verse, suddenly it's you split and you had it again, not she (like in 1st verse), so in the 3rd verse, the "you" is the "she" from the 1st verse. So it could be about examining different POVs in relationships and whose fault it really is.

Anyway, the conclusion I arrived to is that the "you" really is sb else, not Izzy. Mostly because of the "Ain't that a bitch I'm not gonna stress Ain't that a bitch It's all your mess" and the "I" in there.

Ofc he could also really just be changing the POVs however he wants... All in all, I'm probably (definitely) analysing too much. I've made a mess of this post :D:D

See, if I was really crazy about analysing I'd go on about how the song could be about different situations (in which case, recording could also be one of them) and how Izzy uses a cut-up technique and from there on, i'd go to postmodernism... :awesomeface: ... but not that crazy yet

Meaning-wise, whomever it addresses, not sure if it is just a you-screwed-up-haha-f-you song or more of a bitter hey-look-the-blame-is-on-you-again thingy.

Really good song though, hadn't listened to it much before this topic.

Also why the hell call the song ain't it a bitch when he says ain't that a bitch every time? Or am i hearing wrong?? :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mona said:

Yay, it's happening! Sorry for being late but I'm here now. I agree, ain't it a bitch is not about recording as it's pretty clearly about a relationship. What confuses me a bit is the she-you-I thing.

At first I thought that he referred to himself as in the "you" in the first verse, but the second verse gets confusing as he writes that i'm (he's?) not gonna stress and that it's all your (his) mess. Those two don't really go together well when he is referring to himself as the "you", not unless he is suddenly changing POVs.

But then there's the bridge (?) part after the first verse that goes "I tell ya one thing, yeah that's the last time I lose my head again, I'll keep my mouth shut" sounds like the "you" in the first verse is him.

But then the bridge after the second verse goes the same, but instead of "I", he uses "you" so... ??? Also, third verse, suddenly it's you split and you had it again, not she (like in 1st verse), so in the 3rd verse, the "you" is the "she" from the 1st verse. So it could be about examining different POVs in relationships and whose fault it really is.

Anyway, the conclusion I arrived to is that the "you" really is sb else, not Izzy. Mostly because of the "Ain't that a bitch I'm not gonna stress Ain't that a bitch It's all your mess" and the "I" in there.

Ofc he could also really just be changing the POVs however he wants... All in all, I'm probably (definitely) analysing too much. I've made a mess of this post :D:D

See, if I was really crazy about analysing I'd go on about how the song could be about different situations (in which case, recording could also be one of them) and how Izzy uses a cut-up technique and from there on, i'd go to postmodernism... :awesomeface: ... but not that crazy yet

Meaning-wise, whomever it addresses, not sure if it is just a you-screwed-up-haha-f-you song or more of a bitter hey-look-the-blame-is-on-you-again thingy.

Really good song though, hadn't listened to it much before this topic.

Also why the hell call the song ain't it a bitch when he says ain't that a bitch every time? Or am i hearing wrong?? :D

That was a great and lengthy analysis. Thanks for that.

You made me look again at the lyrics. I always thought Izzy is deliberately playing with the pov. He's talking to himself, talking to his partner, saying "you" as in the general sense of "it is true for everyone". 

What do you mean with cut-up technique? I don't know anything about recording. 

Meaningwise to me it is not a fuck-you song but more contemplating-cursing. ;) It sounds more calm than his usual fy songs. Like something went wrong in the relationship (I'm thinking of cheating or so) and he's really mad, sad, disappointed but is not "gonna stress". To me it sounds like the partner lost his head again, kept his mouth shut and cheated. And this time it's the last time that he'll keep his mouth shut about it (and go on with the relationship.)

Edited by Tori72

I don't see the cheating thing at all. To me it seems like he lost his cool in an argument and said something that crossed the line that made her leave. As for the 1st person/3rd person thing... I'm starting to think that's just an Izzy thing. :lol: He does that on twitter all the time too.

Ok taking the 1st person/3rd person into consideration (that honestly confused me, at first I thought he was referring to someone else the whole time, needed to really focus 😥 ) you/your = me right? If yes then yeah he said something that caused her to leave hence he is gonna keep his mouth shut from now on.