2016/17 National Football League (NFL) PLAYOFFS

Zurimor

Couldn't find the regular NFL thread so I'm posting here. Ted Thompson is running this team (Packers) into the ground. He's already let go of two players who have performed very well and deserve contract extensions and he let them go with very little fuss. Here's to another lousy draft and another season of defensive meltdowns! :popcorn:

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

The Packers are doing great thus far.

If they let Lacy walk I will be completely pleased.

I'd love to have Lang back but don't see it happening.

I would be mildly annoyed if they don't give Lacy a 1 year "prove it" deal, because it means they'll waste a first on McCaffrey and not on defense. 

Ideally I'd like them to sign Davon House, maybe Barwin (on a cheap deal), draft an OLB/CB in rounds 1/2, possibly a G sometime later in the draft.

14 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Bad fit for the offenser

Disagree - he's the perfect back to split carries with Monty. Before Mac decided to run him into the ground in a game we were clearly gonna lose, Lacy was averaging his highest YPC in his career. Pair him with Monty and you have a cheap and effective running game to rely on. 

The draft sets up perfectly for the Packers (in terms of need), so watch TT throw a wrench in it and draft a receiver or something :lol:

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

The perfect back for this offense would be a Darren Sproles / Danny Whitehead type. Fast, well built, able to catch and run with the ball. Oh, and pass protect. 

You just described Monty, minus the pass pro. Having multiple versions won't help the Packers offense as much as Fat Eddy will, especially on a cheap 1 year deal. Use the money/draft resources fixing other holes.

I'm like 99% sure Lang isn't coming back unless teams don't believe in his durability. I don't think Spriggs can play full time at guard, which is why I was hoping Tretter would've been resigned, despite his own injury concerns. 

Still hoping for both OLB/CB in rounds 1/2, maybe a G in round 3, then focus on depth from there on out. Obviously a RB if Lacy isn't re-signed.

Edit: and now the Packers sign Lance Kendricks. TT is going senile...or he noticed how the Pats love the two TE set and wants him some of that.

Edited by Crazyman

Ted would be taking s big risk letting Lang walk unless he signs another veteran guard but then again he never really placed high value on guards. This is why I doubt he drafts one until middle rounds.

Spriggs is not built to play guard and really struggled  last year in the limited time he played there.. There has been talk of Bulaga moving inside and plugging Spriggs into LT.

If we don't sign Lang we have some cap money to burn so maybe Ted actually signs some FA's this year.....

I think Ted needs to draft defense first three rounds including a couple of CB's so it should be interesting leading up to the draft

Lang to the Lions, so now G becomes a need unless the Packers honestly think that Lucas Patrick can be the replacement (and apparently they might). 

Bulaga is one of the better RT's in the league...moving him inside wouldn't be smart. Hopefully TT realizes this and drafts someone in the middle rounds. 

Edit:

Edited by Crazyman

Well like I said Ted does not seem to place a big value on guards especially ones hitting 30 yrs old who are starting to get nicked up. Hopefully he drafts one in the middle rounds to develop and Patrick is ready to plug in like Taylor was as Barclay is not a starter IMHO. He seems to like to draft college Tackles to move inside, as he likes his guards more athletic than the typical mauling road graders,  so it will be interesting to see grabs a college tackle or 2 to move inside with our 8 picks. We have two #5's so that is about the right round he typically works in for Olineman to develop as guards.

We have two tackles who are close to Pro Bowl talents and a solid center so maybe this won't hurt too much. so other than Lacy we don't have any big money FA's left to resign so maybe Ted uses some of the remaining cap money to sign a mid level FA or 2?

Although Ted  must be licking his chops at all the compensation picks coming next years draft, we must be getting at least 2 maybe 3,  so maybe he saves the money for the next class of Packers going unrestricted FA?

I agree with McCarthy in that I would not move Bulaga inside but if Spriggs shows he is ready next spring, and whoever replaces Lang tanks, I would not count it out.

Edited by classicrawker

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm happy that Lang gets big $$$.

Seems like a good dude.

Yeah he was a true Packer so happy he got his money and is going home as he is from the Detroit area...........I wish him good luck and a healthy season except the 2X a year we play the Lions...........:lol:

Packers will have lost 5 players as FA once Cook signs with his next team....subtracting out Kendricks Ted is on line for a couple of compensation picks at a minimum...........

16 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Yeah he was a true Packer so happy he got his money and is going home as he is from the Detroit area...........I wish him good luck and a healthy season except the 2X a year we play the Lions...........:lol:

Packers will have lost 5 players as FA once Cook signs with his next team....subtracting out Kendricks Ted is on line for a couple of compensation picks at a minimum...........

Kendricks was released. Bennett is the one who will count against our incoming comp picks. 

9 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm curious if they'll re-sign Jones.

He couldn't command much money.

Itll be interesting to see what happens from here.

I have a feeling they will because he'll be cheap. He doesn't record a ton of stats but did a decent job last year adapting to a new position.

Sorry to see Lacy go as I thought he was going to be a good one but can't keep his weight under control and with all that excess weight his running style is an injury waiting to happen so think it was a wise move by Ted. Another one to add to our compensation pick chances in the 2018 draft.

Maybe Ted signs a FA RB for 1 yr on short money but according to everything I read 2017 RB draft class is one of the best in history. Just picked up Lindy's Sports Draft issue last night and they state there will be good backs all the way through the middle and late rounds, they rate the position as an "A" for talent,  so I am speculating Ted does not grab one until the middle rounds at the earliest unless one of the studs drops in his lap early.

Love the House resigning as he had a good year in 2015 with Jax before regressing last year.....he knows the system so is worth the risk.........also might alllow Ted to not have to draft 2 CB's high in the draft.

Lindy's rates 2017 as a strong draft for CB's, "A-" so we may be able to grab a edge rushing LB in the first and wait until rd 2 or 3 to grab a CB.

Ted still has $20+ mill in cap room so does he spend it on some FA talent to fill the holes on Dfense? will be interesting to follow

Edited by classicrawker

At this point I'd rather we pick an OLB/Edge in R1, CB in R2, OG/HB in R3 and whichever one we didn't pick in R4. 

A guy like D’Onta Foreman would be interesting if he fell to R3, except he sucks in pass pro. 

TT's probably not gonna spend even half of that money before the draft - he loves to roll over $8-10 mil every year (important this year for extensions for HaHa, Davante and Burnett), plus the draft $. I've been seeing Elvis Dumervil's name talked about but I doubt we'll actually make him an offer. I have a feeling this is the team we're gonna roll with into the draft, with the possibility of re-signing Datone.

Edit: Ted likes to throw some curveballs, but I'm like 95% sure he's going to draft an OLB/Edge in R1 at this point. I think he realizes that it's a premium position (at least history shows that he does)

Edited by Crazyman

If they resign Datone and draft and edge LB in the 1st round they might even move Matthews inside this year..........He is getting to that point in his career where he seems to be getting hurt more often and there is speculation that moving inside might reduce injury risk to him. In any case if he has another down year Ted has a tough decision with him in 2018 as he makes a lot of money and will be on the wrong side of 30

16 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I hope Ted truly goes BPA. 

The two swerves are if WR Corey Davis drops to them in the 1st and if he wants to take an OL in the 2nd.

There's also a lot of Safety talent throughout the first two rounds as well. With Burnett at S/LB and question marks behind HHCD...

The middle rounds being stocked with DL and OL talent also create a lot of variables. 

My early ass prediction:

1. CB
  2. DE
  3. RB
  4. OG/OT
  5. LB
  6. S
  7. LB

If Corey Davis is available at 29 and we take him I'll cry tears of joy.  My pants are getting tighter just imagining the offense with him in it. Rodgers would probably throw for 50 TD's in that offense...

3 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

If they resign Datone and draft and edge LB in the 1st round they might even move Matthews inside this year..........He is getting to that point in his career where he seems to be getting hurt more often and there is speculation that moving inside might reduce injury risk to him. In any case if he has another down year Ted has a tough decision with him in 2018 as he makes a lot of money and will be on the wrong side of 30

I fully expect Clay to play more inside this year, almost out of necessity. It's what'll keep his career going longer (and more effective) at this point. 

Edited by Crazyman

Been reading Wisconsin's LB TJ Watt linked with the Packers in different sports blogs........Lindy's Sports compares him to Matthews for his intensity and relentlessness, They give him a 2nd round draft grade....

So with Pennel cut and Guion suspended first 4 games it would not surprise me to see Ted draft a DT early although not a great draft for DL....he does love those big men upfront

Edited by classicrawker

Guion was depth pretty much last year, and we were kinda thin up front then too. I wouldn't hate it if Ted went for DL early, but would prefer he wait until the later rounds. Clark really came on strong towards the end of the season and he's only 21. 

Also damn, I forgot how fast Davon House was. Still want a CB drafted in either 1/2 though

Edit: The Packers are currently ~$24 mil under the salary cap

Edited by Crazyman