Would 1988 Axl, Slash and Duff like the show they are putting on in 2017

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:25 PM, delilahrose said:

While it's fun to speculate and talk about, especially considering that there's no current news at the moment, it's kinda a silly question. Are any of us the same as we were in 1988? I know that they're public figures and we all like to still think of them as those 20-somethings who didn't give a damn about anything other than making great music. But so much as changed. They've grown up. They have children. They've gotten sober. The industry has changed. The world has changed.  I mean, imagine telling someone in 1988 that in 2017, people are going to be walking around with their cellphones glued to their hands, taking selfies of every mundane activity throughout their day and avoiding real human contact on a daily basis. And even though we CAN cure cancer and make cars that can run on something other than gasoline, we're not doing it because certain politicians and billionaires would lose money. 

I'd say, considering how close they all were to death, I think they'd be surprised that they're all still alive. 

This tour is clearly a cash grab, but wouldn't any of us do the same in our respective fields if we could? As long as the stadiums are full, the tickets are selling, and the crowd in attendance is having a good time, then that's all that really matters. 

First, I'd say that their motivation in their 20's was more than just to make great music.  They wanted to "make it" as a band.  The goal of a band "making it" is to get a record deal and make money.  I don't think Axl would have balked at having 2 keyboardists, as it is clear from UYI that he always wanted keyboards to be part of the sound.  He just didn't have the power in the AFD/Lies era to get them in (although he did get the synth intro to PC on the album).

As far as other examples in your post about the world changing.  People do make cars that run on things other than gasoline (ever hear of Tesla?)and nobody has assassinated Elon Musk.  However, please don't believe the "we can cure cancer" conspiracy thing.  There are enough good people in cancer research and treatment that if this supposed cure existed, it would be exposed even if there were evil corporations trying to hide it.  People that witness the horror of the disease and the sadness it causes would never stand by and let it keep happening if it didn't have to.  Plus, whatever company came up with the cure would make unimaginable sums of money while the patent was in force for 17 years.  They'd make far more on a cure than they do from whatever treatments they sell now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

As far as other examples in your post about the world changing.  People do make cars that run on things other than gasoline (ever hear of Tesla?)and nobody has assassinated Elon Musk.  However, please don't believe the "we can cure cancer" conspiracy thing.  There are enough good people in cancer research and treatment that if this supposed cure existed, it would be exposed even if there were evil corporations trying to hide it.  People that witness the horror of the disease and the sadness it causes would never stand by and let it keep happening if it didn't have to.  Plus, whatever company came up with the cure would make unimaginable sums of money while the patent was in force for 17 years.  They'd make far more on a cure than they do from whatever treatments they sell now.

We'll just agree to disagree on this subject. :) I have had several people close to me suffer (and subsequently die) from cancer. IMO, there's more money in chemo and treatments than a cure, sadly.

3 hours ago, delilahrose said:

We'll just agree to disagree on this subject. :) I have had several people close to me suffer (and subsequently die) from cancer. IMO, there's more money in chemo and treatments than a cure, sadly.

We can agree to disagree.  I do agree that overall there is more money in chemo and treatments than a cure.  However, for the one company that developed a cure there would be incredible profit beyond anything any single company has ever generated.  Pfizer doesn't care if 10,000,000 people make good money, they care if they can make a boatload for themselves.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2017 at 0:25 AM, delilahrose said:

And even though we CAN cure cancer and make cars that can run on something other than gasoline, we're not doing it because certain politicians and billionaires would lose money.

:facepalm:

Where do you people come from?

14 hours ago, delilahrose said:

Just like any conspiracy. If this were true, do you realise how many people would have to keep it a secret in order for it to be true? Literally thousands if not millions. They wouldn't even be able to tell their families if someone they loved got cancer. This is just ludicrous and is not how humans behave. Fuck me, someone has an affair in the office and it spreads like wildfire to everyone and their families. Knowing the cure for cancer would get out. It just would. You're wrong. Stop spreading that shit.

52 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Just like any conspiracy. If this were true, do you realise how many people would have to keep it a secret in order for it to be true? Literally thousands if not millions. They wouldn't even be able to tell their families if someone they loved got cancer. This is just ludicrous and is not how humans behave. Fuck me, someone has an affair in the office and it spreads like wildfire to everyone and their families. Knowing the cure for cancer would get out. It just would. You're wrong. Stop spreading that shit.

You're entitled to your opinions, as I am of mine. There's no need to be rude. 

• Like 1