Use Your Illusion III (1996) - Experimental or back to basics?

Use your Illusion III  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love Slash's work post Guns. On every single album there is some quality shit that I consider to be great stuff. Some of that even got the potential to be GNR stuff but I think nothing really is.

And how should it be? There're some missing links without Izzy and Axl.

Exactly the same with the work of the other two. I'm not the biggest fan of Axl's and Izzy's solo work but obviously it lacks 1/2 - 2/3 of the input that makes the stuff great and morphs it into GNR qualitywise. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I love Slash's work post Guns. On every single album there is some quality shit that I consider to be great stuff. Some of that even got the potential to be GNR stuff but I think nothing really is.

And how should it be? There're some missing links without Izzy and Axl.

Exactly the same with the work of the other two. I'm not the biggest fan of Axl's and Izzy's solo work but obviously it lacks 1/2 - 2/3 of the input that makes the stuff great and morphs it into GNR qualitywise. 

I agree that Slash has come the closest to reaching the heights of Guns with his own stuff compared to the other members, obviously you have to trawl through a fair amount of shit to find the gems though. I certainly wouldn't oppose songs like Slither, Ghost,Crucify The Dead or By The Sword all appearing pretty much how they are but with Axl singing them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

I agree that Slash has come the closest to reaching the heights of Guns with his own stuff compared to the other members, obviously you have to trawl through a fair amount of shit to find the gems though. I certainly wouldn't oppose songs like Slither, Ghost,Crucify The Dead or By The Sword all appearing pretty much how they are but with Axl singing them.

Indeed, there are some you could pick but even on these songs I can imagine Izzy and Axl would somehow evolve them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

Today I randomly gave the Ju Ju Hounds and 117 degrees records a spin and while the didn't quite sound GnR, I think Izzy's playing screamed that. For what is worth I always feel that Slash's solo records have just a couple of good songs and some other great ideas and riffs buried in mediocre songs.I just feel that these two guys were meant to compliment each other both playing and songwriting, that's why they can neither reach GnR heights alone 

12 Smoking -ripping tracks 

Hard Rock - with Slash writing the meanest Riffs ever - long solos in each song and outro solos - Epic songs some 7 minutes in length some 3 minutes of straight up rock n roll with a hint of Metal

Axl venting the venom -ripping on the pinned up lyrics he has been living the last 20 years - mean with a fuck you attitude- fuck the rest of the music world "I am  AXL ROSE mother fuckers" - Axl will have a few ballads that Slash will kill with the solo and the melody - gotta have that combo 

12 in your face rock n roll numbers - 2 ballads -NOT in the style of AFD or UYI - just burning mean ass rock n roll as only this band can do and do better than anybody ever - BRING IT MOFO'S I am ready 4 it and  the music  world needs it 2

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Get In the Ring Motherfker said:

Today I randomly gave the Ju Ju Hounds and 117 degrees records a spin and while the didn't quite sound GnR, I think Izzy's playing screamed that. For what is worth I always feel that Slash's solo records have just a couple of good songs and some other great ideas and riffs buried in mediocre songs.I just feel that these two guys were meant to compliment each other both playing and songwriting, that's why they can neither reach GnR heights alone 

If i could use this analogy, Izzy's solo stuff to me is like an old muscle car chassis....has it's value but without the V8 engine it ain't goin anywhere. He has a natural musicality to him though that the others probably don't and others can certainly feed off to create amazing music.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Indeed, there are some you could pick but even on these songs I can imagine Izzy and Axl would somehow evolve them.

Absolutely, could see Izzy's knack for a great bridge coming to the fore on those tracks.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1