"Slash told me, 'I want you to know the reason I'm playing guitar is because of Jermaine.' And, all the boy bands, N*Sync, One Direction, they've all told me they're in the business because of us" - Jackie Jackson, on Billboard

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

Those anecdotes can be found on many websites. I'm not saying it's true, perhaps PatrickS77 is right. I just wouldn't put it past him... look at that History statue. His ego was big enough for those kind of shenanigans.

I think you're both right. Probably the fans and Liz Taylor came up with the KOP moniker and Jackson loved it so much he began to brand himself with that from Dangerous onwards. There's rumors that he specifically asked media outlets to call him KOP during the Dangerous album promotion cycle.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that though - in the end, we're all marketers trying to sell product (us) to consumers. 

• Like 2

I don't think there's anything wrong with it either, I mean... it's kinda weird and conceited calling yourself King of anything, but weird was the guy's middle name, he had many reasons to be weird.

Though I have to say that I always liked Duff's nickname, the King of Beers. I wish I could call myself that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

Those anecdotes can be found on many websites. I'm not saying it's true, perhaps PatrickS77 is right. I just wouldn't put it past him... look at that History statue. His ego was big enough for those kind of shenanigans.

Even if what that exec says is true, that happened 3 years after fans showed up with banners at the Bad tour that said King of pop.

HIStory had nothing to do with ego. It was his big comeback after the biggest scandal and crisis in his life. One that could potentially have ended him (well, in a way you could say it eventually did... certainly altered the course of his life). And with an album called HIStory what better promotional tool this there to use statues? At the end of the day, it's just PR. A way to get people to talk about him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Even if what that exec says is true, that happened 3 years after fans showed up with banners at the Bad tour that said King of pop.

HIStory had nothing to do with ego. It was his big comeback after the biggest scandal and crisis in his life. One that could potentially have ended him (well, in a way you could say it eventually did... certainly altered the course of his life). And with an album called HIStory what better promotional tool this there to use statues? At the end of the day, it's just PR. A way to get people to talk about him.

Come on... if you call yourself the King of Pop and create such a giant statue of yourself you seriously don't think there's a big ego behind it? I'm not judging it, I don't care, but there's no harm in calling it what it is.

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Come on... if you call yourself the King of Pop and create such a giant statue of yourself you seriously don't think there's a big ego behind it? I'm not judging it, I don't care, but there's no harm in calling it what it is.

Nah. There is big PR behind. A guy that has been publicly humiliated and his career threatened was fighting back to reclaim his position and get people to talk.

He even went as far as giving interviews at album launch. ;)

That Presley wedding was all marketing, to show the world how 'normal' and straight he was. I'm not denying that the title and statue aren't marketing tools, but I can't imagine him not having an ego if you really do those things. But like I said, there's nothing wrong with it, it doesn't make him a bad person. Although he probably wanted to be bad.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That Presley wedding was all marketing, to show the world how 'normal' and straight he was. I'm not denying that the title and statue aren't marketing tools, but I can't imagine him not having an ego if you really do those things. But like I said, there's nothing wrong with it, it doesn't make him a bad person. Although he probably wanted to be bad.

According to Lisa Marie, even long after the fact, it was real. But there is no changing people's mind. People believe whatever the hell they want to believe.

Michael certainly knew his worth as a pop star, but that doesn't make him a big ego guy.

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

As is fans proudly proclaiming that GnR is (or was) the most dangerous band in the world. :P ;)

that was merely a press thing that got repeated by the press a zillion times

i think it would be truly hard to find a person who actually said those words out loud

- hey John, do you like Guns n Roses?

- yes I do Mark! They are the most dangerous band in the world!

these kind of sentences are not used in real life/normal conversations, are they?

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

that was merely a press thing that got repeated by the press a zillion times

i think it would be truly hard to find a person who actually said those words out loud

- hey John, do you like Guns n Roses?

- yes I do Mark! They are the most dangerous band in the world!

these kind of sentences are not used in real life/normal conversations, are they?

It gets thrown around on this very board all the time.

6 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

It gets thrown around on this very board all the time.

yes, like i said, i still have to listen to a person -- that is not a journalist and that is not mentioning how the press used to treat GNR -- saying those words out loud in a real life/ normal conversation

board posts dont count!

14 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

According to Lisa Marie, even long after the fact, it was real. But there is no changing people's mind. People believe whatever the hell they want to believe.

Michael certainly knew his worth as a pop star, but that doesn't make him a big ego guy.

Didn't she once say that Michael was a master at manipulating the media when they asked her if the marriage was real? That's a fitting answer. I thought Michael wasn't even straight, so to marry the King of Rock's daughter and to make that cringing "You Are Not Alone" video right after all those scandals in the early 90s, it seemed to make sense. It seemed a bit of a coincidence how and when it all happened. How long were they married? Two years? Although I believe they weren't even legally married. I'm not saying he had wrong intentions. 

Look at some of his videos or concert clips, they always show the people crying and shouting his name, or him wearing a uniform and hundreds of people walking behind him. I'm sure that was all promotion too, but there are a lot of different ways to promote yourself. I think it's normal if you are so popular around the world to get a big ego, especially if that's all you are used to since you were a kid. It's almost impossible not to have one.