"Slash told me, 'I want you to know the reason I'm playing guitar is because of Jermaine.' And, all the boy bands, N*Sync, One Direction, they've all told me they're in the business because of us" - Jackie Jackson, on Billboard

"Guns N' Roses' guitar player Slash told me, 'I want you to know the reason I'm playing guitar is because of Jermaine.' And, all the boy bands, N*Sync, One Direction, they've all told me they're in the business because of us. I love hearing that, that they enjoy the music."

JACKIE JACKSON, BILLBOARD PODCAST, DECEMBER 2017

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/podcasts/8078482/jackie-jackson-the-jacksons-fred-bronson-chart-beat-podcast

011.JPG

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

I believe W. Axl Rose was also inspired to learn the guitar in the mid 90's because of Jermaine Jackson. Jermaine is actually on layer/artifact #867 in Oh My God along with Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro. 

Jermaine is very overrated:P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Tito played guitar in J5 not Jermaine. I'm pretty sure Slash was talking about Tito not Jermaine...

yeah but isnt there that story Slash originally wanted to play bass and then after the first class he changed to guitar? i guess so

The majority of that family are absolute cunts and MJ spent his adult life hiding and trying to stay as far away from most of them as possible. The brothers pestered him for decades after the last Jacksons tour in '84  to record/tour as a group again because that was the only way anyone else bar Janet had a hope of maintaining the lifestyle and status they'd become used to. They made MJ feel like he was obliged to keep doing that for them in between his solo tours because he should share his success (he gave them all houses, cars, money etc). 

But he never wanted to do that because for him the art came first so why should he water down his brand and his product by working with a bunch of hacks? If they wanted to go out on tour they had 25 years to do it without him but they didn't do it until after he died. Bunch of wankers. And yes, some of them have hugely disproportionate egos. Jermaine said of MJ's success "It could just as easily have been me." Anyone else remember Jermaine's epic smash "Let's Get Serious?" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Obviously, I don't know if Slash said this or not, but I really don't trust anything any of the Jackson family says. I especially don't trust his father or Jermaine, from many books and stories I have read. I am listening to a book on Audible about Michael Jackson and it seems like most of his life after the Jackson 5 was over he didn't trust them. He thought they used him for money. Toward the end of his life the only real contact he had with his family was mostly with his mother. He really didn't want to speak with any of them because he didn't trust them. It is actually pretty sad. 

On 24/12/2017 at 4:26 PM, Tourettes2400 said:

Obviously, I don't know if Slash said this or not, but I really don't trust anything any of the Jackson family says. I especially don't trust his father or Jermaine, from many books and stories I have read. I am listening to a book on Audible about Michael Jackson and it seems like most of his life after the Jackson 5 was over he didn't trust them. He thought they used him for money. Toward the end of his life the only real contact he had with his family was mostly with his mother. He really didn't want to speak with any of them because he didn't trust them. It is actually pretty sad. 

curious about the book...

12 hours ago, ludurigan said:

curious about the book...

the one I am listening to now is Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson by Randall Sullivan. I also listened to his bodyguard's book from some of the last part of his life, while he was in Vegas, it is called Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days. 

On 26-12-2017 at 6:28 AM, PatrickS77 said:

Well. He is the King of Pop and he is legendary. So he was not lying.

He is definitely legendary, and he was a brilliant artist, but if you start calling your own brother ''the King of Pop'' then something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EvanG said:

He is definitely legendary, and he was a brilliant artist, but if you start calling your own brother ''the King of Pop'' then something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

It was a press statement, adressed to the world, confirming his death.

18 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

the one I am listening to now is Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson by Randall Sullivan. I also listened to his bodyguard's book from some of the last part of his life, while he was in Vegas, it is called Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days. 

i went through a read-it-all-about-MJ when he died but it was mostly online stuff never got to the books... of all the MJ books you read which was would you recommend?

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Except he gave himself that title, that is what's so silly about it. That is also why Howard Stern started calling himself the King of All Media, just to make fun of MJ.

No he did not. It was fans who came up with that during the Bad tour. Then Elizabeth Taylor took that up on one of the award shows. And then on the Dangerous tour it got used on the tour merchandise. And really, whether you like him or not, there is no question that he is the King of Pop. There is no alternative. And really, no oe gives a damn about Elvis being the King or Bruce with being the boss, but Michael being the king of pop is a problem? Fuck that. They don't even have a problem with Madonna being the queen of pop.

• Like 3

Yes, if we are interpreting 'pop' in the modern sense to mean a post-disco popular act the only competition would be Madge. The majority of the genre is wank but Jackson was the exception. Prince was too eclectic to be so strictly defined - not to say that Jackson wasn't versatile.  Michael really dominates that 80s-90s age like a colossal.

12 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

No he did not. It was fans who came up with that during the Bad tour. Then Elizabeth Taylor took that up on one of the award shows. And then on the Dangerous tour it got used on the tour merchandise. And really, whether you like him or not, there is no question that he is the King of Pop. There is no alternative. And really, no oe gives a damn about Elvis being the King or Bruce with being the boss, but Michael being the king of pop is a problem? Fuck that. They don't even have a problem with Madonna being the queen of pop.

I think all those titles are silly to be honest... doesn't mean I don't like MJ, as I said before, he was a brilliant artist. But I thought he came up with that title himself, and that makes it even more silly, don't you think? According to this 'article', he came up with ''the King of Pop'' himself, but maybe you're right.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/why-michael-jackson-is-called-the-king-of-pop?utm_term=.qs4DXEBD#.hhDq3ZGq

You're citing Buzzfeed as a source...Buzzfeed gets its information from sites like Reddit and the likes, citing random users as official sources without providing any context.

And even so, I very much doubt Michael Jackson personally sending MTV a letter. It's probably his press camp coming up with the stuff which, from a marketing point of view, makes sense. Have MTV call him the King of Pop and within a few months everyone will say he is the King of Pop.