Gardening

Gracii Guns

On 10/09/2019 at 4:36 PM, soon said:

Thanks for the info! You certainly will be busy!! Good thing for power tools. And yes, agreed, that grass will push back :lol:

The trimmer is electric? It seemed like your garden was kinda out in the field - do you get power out there? 

I really wish I knew about those drill augers about 6 years ago... all that wasted time :lol: Got to get one of those next year.

I have 40 metres of extension cable which should allow me to cover all of the garden :headbang: It all arrived yesterday so I've already been out and strimmed a path through the long grass, really impressed with it considering the price I paid.

My auger arrived too, but now I can't find the charger for my drill :facepalm: My garage is even messier than my garden so could take me months to find it, might have to just buy a new one. Gardening is turning out to be a lot more expensive than I thought it would be lol.

1 hour ago, downliner said:

I have 40 metres of extension cable which should allow me to cover all of the garden :headbang: It all arrived yesterday so I've already been out and strimmed a path through the long grass, really impressed with it considering the price I paid.

My auger arrived too, but now I can't find the charger for my drill :facepalm: My garage is even messier than my garden so could take me months to find it, might have to just buy a new one. Gardening is turning out to be a lot more expensive than I thought it would be lol.

I'd just buy a new one. :lol:  My garage has been on my clean out to do list for years.

6 hours ago, downliner said:

Extension cables seem to love to give me a hard time - I think the coiling and uncoiling of 40 ft would wrestle me to the ground and have me screaming at the heavens! :lol: Thats awesome that its all working out with the strimmer!

Always something. If Id have guessed I wouldve figured you both to have very organized garages/tool sheds. Expenses will be worth it when your garden is in bloom next season!!

Edited by soon

6 hours ago, soon said:

No?!?!?!?! What happened? I hope nothing disappointing was finalized? 

Nothing was finalized.  It reminded me of if team Brazil came here and wanted to talk. :facepalm:  So bad I won't bore you with the details.  I didn't motivate that person to action.  I motivated her to come after me.

I did come up with another fun idea for the group.  Winter (gardening related) book club.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

Nothing was finalized.  It reminded me of if team Brazil came here and wanted to talk. :facepalm:  So bad I won't bore you with the details.  I didn't motivate that person to action.  I motivated her to come after me.

I did come up with another fun idea for the group.  Winter (gardening related) book club.

TB level bad? Oh dear. I think a lot of people on steering committees everywhere are motivated by holding power over peoples hopes and dreams. Hopefully they maintain some modicum of reason though. You've got amazing plans for a very concrete offering to the community. It should be a no brainer for them, especially with the costs as low as you've got them. Im gonna light a candle that says they will come around soon :)

I would love to be in a winter grading related book club! Another great idea :headbang:

A cold wind is blowing. chilling to the bone. I seem to be growing in a winter coat just like my cat - I woke up looking like a mountain man. So it was nice to find this heartwarming gift tucked in my garden

qeYxG0g.jpg

ELyKiZu.jpg

Tim Hortons gift card! :headbang:And a really great note book, made with many recycled materials - the body of that pen is cardboard!! Too cool. And it was purchased in my beloved East Coast Canada, in the writers rooms. The famous author quoted on the cover is very kind encouragement. And that wrapping paper is perfect for the garden. Nice to unwrap somethings :) Also nice to gather something from the garden that isnt kale! 

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

That is cool.  Maybe I'll get the leads a gift.  I plan to take them out drinking.  I'm serving Golden Milk, Camomile Tea and Apple Cider.

I'm over it.  I can take a few punches and resist the urge to stomp them in the ground.  I'll just take a whack at that brick wall everytime I go by.  And my mentor, can either go away or might as well get out of my way, I'm stepping up.  Thanks for letting me vent.  Only does harm to the group if one starts venting there, not something that pulls a team together.

• Like 1

I'm back on the narrow boat.  He's changed his song:  If you see us coming please try not to stand in the way.  My new theme song.

So I'm going to down scale the open houses I'm starting at the garden next year.  Instead of inviting the community, I'll make it only for MG's.  The other lady's domaine is community education, not the education for us.  I can still have my people provide educational presentations.  I'll consider it a dry run for the following year where she can either play with me or somebody else is going to think it should be a community event and tell her she has to.  The Demo Gardens are our biggest contribution to community education.  It's what we built them for and their time has come.

Its proper autumn here. Leaves changing colour, many already fallen. I am so happy I grew beans and lentils which make for extremely easy harvesting and storing. I cant imagine spending every evening sanitizing, chopping, making brine, de-seeding, pressure canning, cooling, doing inventory, storing. I mean I dont even wanna make pickles this year. 

5 hours ago, soon said:

Its proper autumn here. Leaves changing colour, many already fallen. I am so happy I grew beans and lentils which make for extremely easy harvesting and storing. I cant imagine spending every evening sanitizing, chopping, making brine, de-seeding, pressure canning, cooling, doing inventory, storing. I mean I dont even wanna make pickles this year. 

Yeah so not into that.  Instead I'm cutting, pasting, putting it all together and making copies for my gardening meetings. :lol:

11 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah so not into that.  Instead I'm cutting, pasting, putting it all together and making copies for my gardening meetings. :lol:

Haha! yeah, you've got that too! Whats that term from Mother Earth News - "every needful thing" I think?

Normally Id love nothing more than to make and can salsa and pickles, horseradish and sauerkraut. To can corn, tomato and peppers. Even as it felt like work (it is hard work) I always looked forward to it. Im sure the bug will return next year. 

I got so caught up in ironing out the details of my plans for the garden today, my friend had to call me and ask if I was coming over for dinner. :lol:  Totally lost track of time and did forget we were having dinner.  Fortunately the plan was dinner wouldn't be started until I got there.  Honestly, if the group doesn't want to play with me and wants to just keep doing what they are doing, I'm going to go find this kind of activity for me somewhere else.  Not a threat, something I keep to myself but I'm having a great time.

• Like 1

I really hope that the group will come around. You've got a bunch of great ideas that are actionable. So frustrating! 

Im frustrated that everyone grows mostly tomatoes and no one is harvesting their tomatoes - they're all going to waste. And this is at the little garden so its not like theres so many tomatoes that preserving them is even an issue... just harvest one today to slice on your burger and harvest another tomorrow for your tabouli salad. A week or two of that and theyd all be eaten.

Not to mention give them to your neighbors.  I brought home some not so great apples for the opossum.  I was at the gardens today for 7 hours, lol.

My and GNR's possible futures are falling on the same day.  Good luck to them.  Let's hope the day is one for people moving forward.  

I have 6 hens so I'm always trying to unload free eggs on my neighbours so they dont go to waste :lol: We usually get 6 eggs daily and there's just no way I can use that many, even if they are delicious.

I started planting the bulbs today, thanks again for the auger tip cineater, it worked a treat :headbang:Thought you and soon might like to see the method I ended up going with in the end...

IMG-20190918-162315442.jpg
1. Strimmed away the huge weeds, pulled out as many roots as I could and raked the ground over
2. Augered the holes (top left)
3. Put bulbs in the holes, backfilled and marked each position with a tent peg
4. Put 2 sheets of wet newspaper down and pierced the paper with the tent pegs so I dont lose the position of the bulbs (bottom left)
5. Removed tent pegs and made the holes in the newspaper slightly larger
6. Spread 3-4cm of bark over the top (see right)

In theory the newspaper should help keep the old weeds down whilst the bulbs come through the holes and then fight their way through the bark. The paper will degrade over time which I preferred over the fabric option, and apparently its good for worms and what have you as they'll eat away at it too.

Its a slow process but the strimmer and auger definitely helped. I'll be retiring from gardening if the weeds come back with a vengeance next year lol

• GNFNR 1

You needed more than 2 sheets of newspaper but as the monkey says, just don't see that shit, :lol:  Is that auger method of planting not the coolest?  The first time I saw that I ran right over to check it out.

Preen makes a mulch that prevents the weeds from coming up but it acts like a barrier and once you break the barrier, move the mulch around, the weeds come through.  We tried it at the garden this year and I thought it was a total waste of money but she kept planting after it was down. You could try raking back the mulch in the spring and put down regular Preen, then put the mulch back over it to protect the barrier.  You just can't plant anything else as you break the barrier.

You can't quit now.  You're a pro with the auger.  I can't wait until people start admiring you for planting all the bulbs and they think you did it the hard way.  When you tell them how that was done, they will think you are a genius, lol.

• Haha 1

Yeh the auger was amazing. I didn't realise just how quickly it would blast through the ground, there was mud flying everywhere so I had to just tap the drill button once to prevent going to deep.

Probably planted 50 bulbs in a few hours today and going to have another few hours at it every day this week. I wanted to just drill hundreds of holes in advance as it was so much fun, but my girlfriend insisted I not get carried away and wanted us to do it in small sections instead :(

I need a bigger auger for my next tree planting session now. Won't be going back to my backbreaking pickaxe and shovel routine if I can just drill instead :D

15 hours ago, cineater said:

Not to mention give them to your neighbors.  I brought home some not so great apples for the opossum.  I was at the gardens today for 7 hours, lol.

My and GNR's possible futures are falling on the same day.  Good luck to them.  Let's hope the day is one for people moving forward.  

Whats this about yours and Guns future? And moving forward? 

I love that you have an opossum friend! :lol::headbang:

My first meeting on all these plans I have been telling you about is Saturday.  It all goes forward or stops from that.  GNR, when aren't there great expectations for them?  It's go forward or same old, same old day for the both of us.  Going to be an interesting day all the way around.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Oh, I got you! know! And Guns kicks off their tour on Saturday. 

I hope - no I know in my heart - that the meeting will go perfectly. Amazing programming!! Youll get your asks and Guns will play CD2 in its entirety! :headbang:

I'm not freaked.  You think guns is freaked?  We should be freaked, right? :lol:

Spot shower, thank you.  Everybody needs a drink.

• Haha 1