Employment and Jobs Thread

willl

I have an Online Marketing Agency which is basically me and partner creative professionals I subcontract depending on the particular job's needs. It's been a lot harder to get new retainer clients since I started living in Paris, though. Most things I do here are one off jobs - from social media content creation and management, to specific design jobs for businesses, influencers and brands in general. 

On 7/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, Axls Rocket Queen said:

I'm currently juggling 2 jobs - full-time veterinary work at a charity, plus producing and performing in burlesque/cabaret.

Thinking about quitting the day job and doing locum vet work to enable me to build up the cabaret work more (and maybe sleep sometimes!).  I do enjoy my job but as they haven't really kept upo with post-covid changes our pay has fallen way below market rates compared to private practice, and it doesn't offer much in terms of flexibility with on-call and weekend work.  Many things to consider!

If you can get away with the locum thing you should do it. Rates are much better yes? I recently quit my staff job and doubled my take home pay overnight by doing the same thing as a consultant on a contract basis. Been asking my self why I didn't do it years ago. Certainly makes living in London a lot more affordable. :lol:  

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, Dazey said:

If you can get away with the locum thing you should do it. Rates are much better yes? I recently quit my staff job and doubled my take home pay overnight by doing the same thing as a consultant on a contract basis. Been asking my self why I didn't do it years ago. Certainly makes living in London a lot more affordable. :lol:  

Well exactly, I worked out I would have to work about half the year to match my current salary :lol: so in that respect it's a no-brainer.  That's not taking into account having to cover my own RCVS fees and CPD etc but those aren't huge costs compared to potential annual earnings.  The main thing that needs to be considered is we're currently on a help-to-buy equity loan mortgage which ends its interest free period November 2024, so depending what we're doing in terms of re-mortgaging or selling up and moving etc, going from full time employed to self employed needs to be timed correctly so it doesn't cause problems there.