Employment and Jobs Thread

willl

I've worked as an external work-from-home contractor for a company for the last 10 years and a few months ago they were sold to a bigger player in the market. My boss who has worked there for 25 years was just let go, their insurance guy who has worked with the company for 25 years was told by email that his services were no longer required, and now I'm thinking that my future employment probably isn't very secure either :lol:

I don't even know who my boss is now, I haven't been told jack shit and I have no-one to report to, but I've not been fired yet fortunately. Hoping I can just keep putting in an invoice every month without actually having to do any work, maybe no one will notice? Just incase I'm thinking I should probably start looking for another job though :rofl-lol:

Any ideas for my new career path?

Anyone else out there looking for employment right now?

Let me know what you all do for a living so I can get some ideas :D

• Like 1

Get your CV updated, showcasing your skill's and achievements from recent times. If you're hoping to stay in the same line of work then it should take you no time at all, but just for your own peace of mind, I'd recommend seeing what's out there while you're still employed with this mob. If you're looking to try something completely different, mention anything of relevance that you've done in your career/further education that points towards that particular career path, regardless of how little it may have been.

Today is my last day with my current employer and yesterday my manager was telling me about a conversation he had with HR about Job Spec when advertising the role (I'm a Network Engineer). I done fuck all after graduating Uni other than work in pubs, and while obviously my degree helped, experience in a customer service environment made them get me in for an interview as opposed to it being mandatory that I had experience in a real working environment in this field. I don't think many employers would even entertain that idea - and the woman from HR was a bit shocked too!!

Best of luck with whatever you decide and I'm sure it won't be long til you find something of interest! Keep us posted.

• Like 2

Lost my well paying job in the hospitality service once Covid started, my former employer decided that I (and 2 others who worked there for years) cost him too much. So he dropped us instead of the 18 year olds who make around €6,- (which right now is about the same as $6,-) an hour.

Since then I've been working from home (which is the best fucking thing in the world tbh) as a translator and copywriter. And as a lifelong gamer I can translate and type a lot of text in a short amount of time, so it pays really well. Also I get to decide when I work and how much I work.

It's great, it's the closest thing to freedom you're gonna get in today's society.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:00 PM, alfierose said:

I returned to work full time at the beginning of the year after a number of years out of employment (family reasons). Amazingly I managed to get a half decent job and so far it's fairly rewarding. I develop and procure services for people with learning disabilities. It's hybrid working since covid so I don't have a lot of commuting days which is a massive bonus.

My wife is a support worker for adults with learning difficulties. Says ots very hard and very rewarding. I couldn't do it.

At the moment, trucking is a safe bet for a job. In the UK we are around 40k drivers short. And can always find more work. Only downside is the cost of licences 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So I'm on maternity leave, doing infrequent freelance work to keep paying my pension contributions. 

I'm probably going to try to get an employed job when I return, as I'm facing a childcare bill of £2K every month. Income from the business could cover it, but I'd have to go back to basics and forgo a studio and other expenses. 

A masters degree is still on my bucket list. Kind of for the sake of having one. They're not cheap. It's really about dedicating the time to upskill. 

Edited by Gracii Guns

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 3:04 AM, willl said:

I've worked as an external work-from-home contractor for a company for the last 10 years and a few months ago they were sold to a bigger player in the market. My boss who has worked there for 25 years was just let go, their insurance guy who has worked with the company for 25 years was told by email that his services were no longer required, and now I'm thinking that my future employment probably isn't very secure either :lol:

I don't even know who my boss is now, I haven't been told jack shit and I have no-one to report to, but I've not been fired yet fortunately. Hoping I can just keep putting in an invoice every month without actually having to do any work, maybe no one will notice? Just incase I'm thinking I should probably start looking for another job though :rofl-lol:

Any ideas for my new career path?

Anyone else out there looking for employment right now?

Let me know what you all do for a living so I can get some ideas :D

I'm a human resources manager...

which is, if you're at all familiar with JM, very fucking funny.

feel free to DM me if you think i can help at all.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

I'm a human resources manager...

which is, if you're at all familiar with JM, very fucking funny.

feel free to DM me if you think i can help at all.

"Human Resourses" is just the wankiest bullshit corporate speak name for a a department ever. :lol: Since when was "personnel" such a bad thing? 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

"Human Resourses" is just the wankiest bullshit corporate speak name for a a department ever. :lol: Since when was "personnel" such a bad thing? 

i think it's a north america / uk divide type thing, like soccer / football, personnel seems common in uk, not used here..

human resources does sort of sound like i'm managing cattle or something. It's kind of dehumanizing. that's probably the point tbh.

1 hour ago, Jackie Moon said:

i think it's a north america / uk divide type thing, like soccer / football, personnel seems common in uk, not used here..

human resources does sort of sound like i'm managing cattle or something. It's kind of dehumanizing. that's probably the point tbh.

Oh we use the same terminology over here too, I just think it's a really weird way to refer to employees. To clarify, I'm in no way having a go at you. I'm just a northern shit shoveller with a poor vocabulary and @janrichmond is clearly ashamed to work with me. :lol: 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Same here and idk honestly how the fuck it happened lol

you're a HR manager?

21 hours ago, Dazey said:

Oh we use the same terminology over here too, I just think it's a really weird way to refer to employees. To clarify, I'm in no way having a go at you. I'm just a northern shit shoveller with a poor vocabulary and @janrichmond is clearly ashamed to work with me. :lol: 

you work together? that's so cute.

btw feel free to have a go at me anytime.

wait i think have a go also means something different in uk.

47 minutes ago, Jackie Moon said:

you work together? that's so cute.

No,lol. Dazey works somewhere doing clever stuff. I work for a charity doing not so clever stuff. Like spending 2 hours on the phone to IT because my printer wasn't working, only to realise that i'd knocked the plug out.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:41 PM, janrichmond said:

No,lol. Dazey works somewhere doing clever stuff. I work for a charity doing not so clever stuff. Like spending 2 hours on the phone to IT because my printer wasn't working, only to realise that i'd knocked the plug out.

yeah i can relate, I run a vault, european gold (please don't try to rob me), I spent 4 hours troubleshooting a connection issue with techs in germany before I remembered I unplugged the ethernet cable. Jackie you genius.

• Haha 1

I was working from home as a captionist for 3 years until I got laid off in September. We got a 60 day notice and I figured well having the holidays off for once would be cool.

Wrong.

Family shit has dragged me down these past few months and I foolishly thought I didn't need to apply for unemployement (pride is a bitch), now I regret it. Not that im struggling but it'd be nice to have a bigger cushion than I have currently. I thought about donating plasma :lol: but I'm such a wuss for needles in my inner elbow area, and they use big needles too!

But I'm going back to school in March (if all goes well) for continuing education to get a medical coding degree. So my job criteria now is something not serious in terms of atmosphere so maybe Ill work at a arcade/bowling alley?? I honestly feel working from home kinda messed me up and made me too much of a hermit, now I wanna get back out and be among the crazies again :P

@Destiny I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, just the circumstances of how I got there are a bit different. I did go back out among the crazies for 6 months and I swear people are more insane than they ever have been. I saved up quite a bit and quit with decent savings in November because of it being an extremely hostile workplace (screaming, crying, one coworker making physical threats about other coworkers, among other insanity), like you I wish I had an even bigger cushion, and am thinking of maybe taking a not-so-serious job for now (I have an interview for one of those seasonal tax company jobs, and 2 former clients asked my why I didn't do gig economy stuff because they were making more $ than me). I just had an interview for a serious job and the interviewer was also insane. I AM a hermit and an extremely private person, but damn, I think the pandemic broke minds. I hope 2023 finds us both more gainfully employed even if it's in the latter half. 

13 hours ago, BeingBoring said:

@Destiny I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, just the circumstances of how I got there are a bit different. I did go back out among the crazies for 6 months and I swear people are more insane than they ever have been. I saved up quite a bit and quit with decent savings in November because of it being an extremely hostile workplace (screaming, crying, one coworker making physical threats about other coworkers, among other insanity), like you I wish I had an even bigger cushion, and am thinking of maybe taking a not-so-serious job for now (I have an interview for one of those seasonal tax company jobs, and 2 former clients asked my why I didn't do gig economy stuff because they were making more $ than me). I just had an interview for a serious job and the interviewer was also insane. I AM a hermit and an extremely private person, but damn, I think the pandemic broke minds. I hope 2023 finds us both more gainfully employed even if it's in the latter half. 

gig economy stuff like uber eats? I looked into doing Amazon flex where i deliver using my own car, but after having problems downloading the app and then researching what people had to say I figured it was a bust for me. I've found other companies that do grocery delivery and snacks/amenities but when it comes down to it I dont think its a safe bet.

Boy let me tell you that people are crazy now post pandemic. During it when i was still a captionist and the lockdowns happened world wide I got a lot of stories, info and crazies on the phone. All kinds of moronic opinions, funny/crazy stories, sob stories you name it. I can only imagine how it is in public.

I've been applying to places but haven't heard anything back yet. There was a cool little hobby store that was hiring but when I went in to ask, the owner didn't seem all there, so I'm keeping it in the ? pile for now :lol:

8 hours ago, Destiny said:

gig economy stuff like uber eats? I looked into doing Amazon flex where i deliver using my own car, but after having problems downloading the app and then researching what people had to say I figured it was a bust for me. I've found other companies that do grocery delivery and snacks/amenities but when it comes down to it I dont think its a safe bet.

Boy let me tell you that people are crazy now post pandemic. During it when i was still a captionist and the lockdowns happened world wide I got a lot of stories, info and crazies on the phone. All kinds of moronic opinions, funny/crazy stories, sob stories you name it. I can only imagine how it is in public.

I've been applying to places but haven't heard anything back yet. There was a cool little hobby store that was hiring but when I went in to ask, the owner didn't seem all there, so I'm keeping it in the ? pile for now :lol:

Yep, these guys were saying Instacart is worth doing around here, because we live near these new HOA developments full of people who really want food delivered and tip well. I think if I lived somewhere else I wouldn't even consider it (safety issues, mostly - I've lived in an actual ghetto before and no thanks). 

I did just work on the other end of Instacart, my 6 month job was running a grocery pickup at a smaller grocery. I worked retail ages ago, and the things I experienced from customers recently were unreal, way over the top and totally irrational stuff, much worse than when I worked retail jobs in the past. I had more than one in-store customer slam their cart as hard as they could into one of my "shoppers" carts while yelling nonsense. Somebody canceled a $600 order, while screaming, because the deli was closed. One woman lost her mind because the store had stopped selling masks, yelling and swearing and knocking stuff over as she left the store. I'm a hothead myself so get it when people have reached their last nerve, but it happened every day, where it used to be only periodically with some rationale behind it, and it used to almost never be physical crap. 

I have a pretty large ? pile myself, I'm kind of burned out on types of jobs I used to do. Something different would be awesome with me. I have a background working seasonal biological field jobs, and applied to a few of those again, and they're at the top of my "want badly" pile. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Covid blew away my job as a marketing director in polish professional sport club due to obvious reasons. I did real estate, low scale but invested only saved money and it did really well. I do some home office IT stuff now here and there still but it got even harder here in Poland when ukr-rus war started. Not moaning or anything but I've got.times like it didn't make sense to repair old car and use to it to.go.to.the office cuz salary was that low. It simply looks bad now, what can I say else. If ya invested good, it got great but if not.. Same.old shit as always tbh. I'm 38 btw. Keep punchin friends, life's not always bright.

Edited by Tomek1985

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 12:34 PM, BeingBoring said:

Yep, these guys were saying Instacart is worth doing around here, because we live near these new HOA developments full of people who really want food delivered and tip well. I think if I lived somewhere else I wouldn't even consider it (safety issues, mostly - I've lived in an actual ghetto before and no thanks). 

I did just work on the other end of Instacart, my 6 month job was running a grocery pickup at a smaller grocery. I worked retail ages ago, and the things I experienced from customers recently were unreal, way over the top and totally irrational stuff, much worse than when I worked retail jobs in the past. I had more than one in-store customer slam their cart as hard as they could into one of my "shoppers" carts while yelling nonsense. Somebody canceled a $600 order, while screaming, because the deli was closed. One woman lost her mind because the store had stopped selling masks, yelling and swearing and knocking stuff over as she left the store. I'm a hothead myself so get it when people have reached their last nerve, but it happened every day, where it used to be only periodically with some rationale behind it, and it used to almost never be physical crap. 

I have a pretty large ? pile myself, I'm kind of burned out on types of jobs I used to do. Something different would be awesome with me. I have a background working seasonal biological field jobs, and applied to a few of those again, and they're at the top of my "want badly" pile. 

Hope you've had some luck?

I'm at a job I've been at for over a month now, but I'm already losing hope for it. Before this job I was still applying to lots of places with no word back. I even applied to one of my old jobs (like 10 years ago old!), then all at once two job contacted me as I was beginning to do the paperwork things for my current job.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently juggling 2 jobs - full-time veterinary work at a charity, plus producing and performing in burlesque/cabaret.

Thinking about quitting the day job and doing locum vet work to enable me to build up the cabaret work more (and maybe sleep sometimes!).  I do enjoy my job but as they haven't really kept upo with post-covid changes our pay has fallen way below market rates compared to private practice, and it doesn't offer much in terms of flexibility with on-call and weekend work.  Many things to consider!

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen
  • Like 1