Your listening habits

ssiscool

Ok question for you. As we get older, do you listen to some of the music you did like 10-15 years ago and think 1, why did I like it so much and 2, those lyrics mean something completely different to me now than they did back then?

I've been listening to The Unforgiven by Metallica today for 1st time in a few years and probably 1st timw since I had kids. The whole song seems so different to me now

10-15 years ago I wasn't very different from who I am right now, but in general I've experienced, that I suddenly see songs completely different. Maybe because I've paid more attention to them or maybe because my conciousness has changed is hard to tell.

My perception of The Unforgiven hasn't changed since the beginning, but I've always paid attention.

Recent examples of songs that changed meaning are Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly (an ode tp the transcendent power of music) and Laura Brannigan's Self Control (one of the better descriptions of cocain addiction in popular music).

Eta: I want to add Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' to the list. This song is just so phenomenal and meaningful. Must be Jackson's best lyrics. I've just never paid enough attention before to fully grasp it. 

Edited by lilacmess

in the car. All my albums are in my car memory. mostly abba and elvis

but also, in my man cave, with my 5.1 sound system, where I listen to cd's front to back, in short listening sessions.

dark side of the moon mostly. But also kill 'em all, abba again, and maybe some AC/DC, motley crue, etc