Duff Livestream

No idea how long the livestream will be, but it's happening within hours. If you asked him a question via his website earlier, there's a chance he may answer it during the stream.

Contents of the email given to the Duff mailing list:

You're invited to join Duff and Jerry Cantrell for an exclusive album release stream event 

As a thank you for your support, we're giving you access to an exclusive album release Q&A event. 

Watch as Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains asks Duff your questions and join other fans in getting a first listen to the world premiere of the new track and video for I Just Don't Know, ahead of the release of LIGHTHOUSE on the 20th of October. 

We'll send another email out with the watch link an hour before the stream which goes live on the 19th of October at 10am PST / 1pm EST / 6pm BST / 7pm CEST

JOIN THE OFFICIAL STREAM CHAT

Join other fans on the official Duff McKagan Telegram group. Make friends, share your stories, let us know what you're most excited to hear from the album. Most of all, BE NICE.

An important notice for fans in:
FRANCE / SPAIN / BELGIUM / NETHERLANDS / LUXEMBOURG / GREECE / AUSTRALIA / NEW ZEALAND / JAPAN
Stores in your area will unfortunately have the physical versions of Lighthouse in stock a week late, on October 27, due to issues faced by our distributor. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience and understanding!

Telegram link  for Duff's official livestream chat is https://t.me/+AnXrZ7LiCh0zMTlk  , or you can just click on the second link, and scroll down to see Duff's telegram group chat.

I don't have a telegram account nor do I want to bother signing up for it. Someone else can look into the chat and see if anything interesting happens during the stream

Here's the other link that was in the mail: https://duffonline.com/qa-stream/

Not sure if it's the same one as the one as they will send an hour before the stream, but there's a vimeo video box somewhere on the page.

If you've got a twitter or instagram, as said in an earlier Duff mail,

"We wanted to use this special moment for fans to find each other so please do share your thoughts on Twitter using the hashtag #duffmckaganlighthouse and tag @duffmckagan on Instagram. We'll be reading through the comments live so make sure to say hello."

They will be seeing us! 👀 (not that they will acknowledge it if we write something dumb lol. but at least they will see it)

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 3

so it was 1 hr and 11 minutes long. the video of the stream will be available for a day or two i think.

https://vimeo.com/875654235/a360541ebb

(you can download the video for offline use)

they didn't really read anything that was happening live online, but it was a nice long talk.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1

Here's the auto-generated-captions. Vimeo is a a pain not letting people download it all, and progressively loading it so ctrl+a doesn't work. I had to copy-paste it paragraphs by paragraphs. Hopefully I didn't accidentally miss out some or put them in the wrong place. Since they're auto-generated, there's no differentiation between when Jerry or Duff talks, you'll have to download the video to double check the captions and who says it.

Spoiler

So it's good to be sitting here with you again. Yes. Yeah. You Know? Yeah. Doing shows with you guys. Oh, F**k yes. Yeah. This is gonna be a lot of fun tonight. Uh, we're here to, uh, talk about, uh, lighthouse. Yeah.

But I got to watch you guys. I don't, I don't think I told you this. Uh, Kansas City. Okay. Yeah. My backstage room was a dugout. Oh, yeah. So I just came up in the dugout and watched you guys. I was right there.

It was amazing. And there was people watching you guys, but they were faced the other way. Yeah, sure. Yeah. So I just had like this full, like, it was so great to have you guys back.

It's always cool, man. It's, uh, uh, our bands together. You know, you, you, you guys have had a, had a slew of great artists, uh, out with you guys as you deserve. And, and, uh, but I think there's a extra little edge with our bands together.

I really dig it. Yeah. But we love, we love doing shows with you guys. So Yeah. Let's talk about the lighthouse. Uh, that's an interesting, interesting title. Yes. You know, uh, it's also one of my favorite movies of the last couple of years, too. Jesus.

You know, it wasn't inspired one of my favorite movies too. Yeah. Um, but I, you know, you know how we write songs 'cause you and I do it together. Yeah.

You know, and there's three chords and there's a piece of wordage. You hope to stumble across the truth in those words. Right. Yeah. And, um, like, that's it, like a few chords and like a, a lyric, you worked so hard on damn lyrics. So, so you know about this and I had, let me be your lighthouse, uh, or won't you be my lighthouse?

I couldn't figure out which one and won't You be My, and that's, and it was during C V I D and, uh, that time of like, nobody around except for Susan and me. Yeah.

And we've been together for so long as, you know. Right. And, and we were like, watching people get divorced. Like we'd hear stuff like 20 year relationship Yeah. Getting divorced and we were just getting closer and closer. We're like, this is f*****g rad. We get to Yeah. Hang out all the time.  

And we knew how to get each other's space at my studio and blah, blah, blah. But, um, but I, I was like, um, Susan's really been this, this, this beacon of light for me through all kinds of stuff.

She's just so like Yeah. Genuine and sweet. You know, her, she's just like, she's the nicest person. You guys, you guys are, you know, you guys were absolutely meant to be together.

Yeah. And you lean have leaned on each other through a lot of great stuff and a lot of tough stuff. Yeah. You know, You've seen it all. It means a lot to me that you guys have the family that you do.

Yeah. You've been over for Christmas. Yeah. Yeah. Um, but Susan, during the Senate, um, I just to to what you just said, like the song is like, um, I will, I'll get to that lighthouse somehow somewhere, and I use the sea and I use the rocks and I used the wind and mm-hmm. Like, what s**t you gotta go through on a, you know, out on a lifeboat or something, and you're trying to get to that lighthouse. And that's her.

And that can also have a double meaning of, of like us humans Yeah. Humanity. Looking for that, that beacon of hope or Sure. Or be the lighthouse for each other. You know, you know, sometimes, uh, uh, as you, as you know, we all, we all kinda lose, lose the path or, or lose the threat or, or, uh, take shots in life. And, and that's when you lean on the people that you care the most, you know? Yeah.

Uh, uh, at those times, you know, you and I Will take like nine shots before we go look for the Yeah. That's like, I got this. That's true. But it's nice to have those people. And then in turn, uh, a lot of the times, uh, you don't realize a lot of the time when you're being maybe a lighthouse for somebody else. Absolutely.

Yeah. So, I mean, I, I just, you know, when I hit upon, just don't know the song Yeah. That you and I did. Yeah. And you were gracious enough to come and put your lead great song and your, your energy on that song. Yeah. And you're, you're backing vocals.

And it was just such a, like, for you to come in on that song was so perfect. 'cause this's this, you and I have so much in common and we're around the same age. Yeah.

And I was walking our dog during, you know, again, nobody, nobody's out. It's nighttime. There's the stars. I'm in Seattle, there's the lake, and I'm walking Twirls our dog. It's, she's just like this innocent thing, wants to go for her walk.

And I had this song and it had a melody, but I didn't have words yet. Yeah. And I was like, to the ever glow, I'm looking at stars, you know, I'm looking at the water and, uh, the ocean's under toe, you know.

F**k. And I started getting the lyrics for this thing. I had to pick up twirl. She just wanted to walk, man. Yeah. I'm like, I'm so sorry. I gotta pick you up.  

Cut it short. I didn't have my phone. Yeah. I gotta cut it short and get back and write the lyrics. And, and you were so gracious, uh, to once I had the acoustic, I think I just had the acoustic beat. Yes.

Uh, yeah. Maybe just a little bit of string on it. A little bit of of strings. Yes. Yeah, yeah, yeah. But, you know, the thing that caught me was, uh, uh, and, and, and this is this, this is what you're, this is what you've been trying to communicate is, is trying to get to some sort of a truth, you know, uh, some, some sort of a, some sort of emotion that really, really tugs that string. And,

and I immediately felt that on that song. And, and, uh, it's what you're always trying to get to. And, and that song was just so powerful. Uh, you know, when you asked me to play on it, I'm like, absolutely. You know, it's from I'm there. Yeah.

Yeah. Well, it's kind of that thing, like, wondering not in a morbid way, like what's next? Yeah. Like what is Sure. What is this thing? Like, uh, lived through some things. I have this, we all had this period to reflect a couple years to reflect.

You thought it was gonna be two weeks and then four weeks. Yeah. And then six. And, um, yeah. It turned, you know, Is this arm again? Is It is. I mean, you know, you don't know. And, um, and it's, I just don't know. That's, I mean, uh, and you came into my studio and that was great, having your energy in that f*****g place.

Yeah. Tell me, tell tell me about the studio. Uh, that place is amazing. It's totally cool. I remember you were telling me you were talking to a guy who, who had the studio, uh, you know, in the U district and, and, uh, had had it for many years. But he, and he was thinking of selling it, but he didn't want it to be developed. That's, that's it. Right.

'cause that's what's happening everywhere. Yeah. Uh, in Seattle especially, uh, you know, uh, historic, historic, uh, buildings are just getting, and lots are just getting bought, knocked down, and then a, you know, four, four or more story building goes up. Yeah. Yeah.

And the U district that can do, uh, I think it's eight stories now. Eight. Okay. Down where, where I am. Yeah. It's crazy. So it was a handshake deal. It was an old guy from Ballard. Yeah.

And he had this place for I think, some time. Um, how long ago was the studio before me? I think back in the sixties, we hear Laura that the Beatles did a backing vocal in there. Okay.

And I love that. Was he in a band or was he just an engineer that liked to record music? No, no. The guy that I bought it from was just a businessman. Okay.

Yeah. Like a lawyer. Yeah. Who owned this building for, he was old, old guy. Sure. Owned it forever. Maybe somebody, his family owned it before that mm-hmm. You know, back in the twenties or something. It was at the store. Right.

You know. Um, but when I walked in, I was looking for a place for like my motorcycles and my back line, my gear. Sure. Close to home. Yeah. Close to home. Yeah. And, uh, we found, like Andy, my friend Andy, he was looking for me, place were so expensive up here and this and that.

And then we happened a problem in the studio that this guy made it a good price. Yeah. Because he only wanted to sell it to a musician. Yeah. And it was a handshake deal that I wouldn't develop it for five years.

That's all he asked. That's right. Yeah. So I Yeah. Said, of course. And, uh, so, but just walking into that place the first time, the vibe and there was, It's, you were meant to be there, you know? Yeah. I mean, it's like those kind of a kind of a, uh, I, I, I was surprised that it, that it was there. Not that I'm, there's little pockets of creative places and studios and stuff all over and in

every city. But, but I mean, it was perfect for you. It's like the stones throw from where you live. It's, uh, it's a, it's an amazing, uh, you know, it's an amazing creative space and, and, uh, Parking in the back And parking in the back.

But I, um, yeah. I don't know. You know, uh, just, just going in that place for the first time and the, like, the vibe. We didn't have to do much. Yeah.

We put carpets and some soundboard up and really not much more moved my gear in. I mean, I, I've used the same gear Turnkey. Yeah. Kind of. Yeah. Yeah. So what's the name of the studio?

I mean, there's a name. You gotta call it something. Yeah. Yeah. I mean, uh, what do we go with that? Yeah. You wanna make it Duff's School studio? Yeah. We just call it, we call it Duff School Studio. There is a name, but you might be able to track me down. Here's what I was gonna say. Um, here's what I was gonna say. I got, I found, and this was, I mean, there's a studio, like a little mini Abbey Road with the, you know, the,

the Yeah. Control room above the, the live room. And none of the Pearl Jam guys knew about this place. Like, you know, none of you guys knew about this place. Sound Garden guys. Yeah.

Matt Cameron, who's recorded everywhere. Yeah. It's like, ah, Kim didn't know about it. Kim went to UDub. You know, that's, That's what was so surprising to me, for sure. Yeah. Whoa. Okay. Yeah.

Yeah. Who's been here? Yeah. Um, but it's, it's, uh, it's been, it's been just, uh, magical having a place, getting it, you know, some months just scan few months before Covid started. Yeah. You know, or whatever you wanna call that period.

Sure. Lockdown. Yeah. Basically. Did you have any of these ideas, or, or did everything in the writing process really kind of come from that time? Just starting from a zero. I mean, I know, I know myself, uh, as a writer, uh, and you might have musical ideas, and I guess it's probably the same for you too. You know, having a musical riff or an idea, you probably just store 'em and whatever your phone, the computer, uh, you know,

I used to, I used to have one of those little, little, oh, yeah. Night soccer kosack thing, the reporter thing that you talked into for ideas, uh, and, and maybe like a little bit of a melody or whatever. But when, uh, when I'm writing it, I, I, I always, you know, I might borrow, uh, borrow from those pieces. They're little seeds that you collect. Yeah. I guess.

And then, and again, maybe it's time to plant this one and just see what happens with it. But, uh, did you, you had nothing written on, on this record before this was all started, right? Right in the covid window there?

Well, I think I had some songs, as I remember it. Um, I had four or five songs I wanted to, to record. I knew I had to go back down to LA to start rehearsal for g and r to go to South America. Yeah. In January of 2020.

I had to leave in January. Uh, so I was there and I got started recording songs, and I'm like, oh, this place Sounds, so you were into the process. Yeah.

And so I bought, I do that. I mean, mean that was like Bright Garage band That was like Brighton for me, already already rolling, but then, okay. Yeah. All Right. Right, right. Got it. Um, so I had little pieces on my garage band.

That's where I keep most of my stuff. Yeah. Just little, I call 'em my crappy little demos. Yeah. That only really I can understand. Yeah. Um, wouldn't blame really for anybody else. It's me humming nephew.

Of course. Of course. Of course not. Yeah. And, uh, but I'll have some of that stuff like Light Lighthouse And 700 in here. I'm sure there is. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Exactly.

For the last 20 years. Yeah. Yeah. Oh, oh, yeah. You got 'em all. Just little riffs and or singing into the phone or whatever. Yeah. But, yeah. Garage. So you gotta use the Garage band.

So I, yeah. So I busted out. I might've had a couple, couple songs. I don't really on my own. Uh, I, I wrote a song called, this is the song. I wrote it during a panic attack. Yep. I put it out last May.

Yep. And I, that's the one song, like, I sat, I was literally having a panic attack, and I, this is the song that's gonna save my life. And I realized in this, I wrote all the lyrics. Right. And one, which I don't usually do in one sitting kind of thing. Yeah. Um, Alexa Pro, and what else? I don't know.

It just came and it brought me outta my panic attack. This I've discovered a new tool for my acoustic guitar. Like I'm in a panic attack, just get on the acoustic guitar and write a song.

It just came and it brought me outta my panic attack. This I've discovered a new tool for my acoustic guitar. Like I'm in a panic attack, just get on the acoustic guitar and write a song.

And it brought me through this thing. But usually I'll have a melody, which is with like, you know, won't you be lying my with a lyric? Won't you be my lighthouse? Or I just don't know. Sure. You know? Yeah.

Um, and, uh, then I'll take it in and I'll, I'll get the acoustic, I'll get the parts. Usually a bridge is the thing that like, well, I love a good bridge.

I love a good bridge. Sure. Once I have that bridge, I'm like, okay, so I got, this is my verse. This is my chorus, obviously. This is my chorus. Put the bridge somewhere. And, you know, I don't have a formula, but I kind of, I guess I do. Yeah. Um, when you're writing by yourself, you're not gonna have a ton of connector. Weird s**t. You know, when you're writing with a band, you're like, let's do this three times and a half times, you know, and then go here.

Um, so I got five songs in, went down to Rehearse for South America. You know, what happened? Hey, everybody should start washing their hands. Oh, yeah. We should leave the doors open at rehearsal. Oh, yeah. Um, so we brought in masks one day, how do you put this on?

And then we went down and played Mexico City, and that was March 10th. And that's when it just like, 'cause it wasn't in Mexico or South America yet. Yeah. We could just outrun this thing. So That was your last gig before it shut down.

And we flew back to Seattle. And then I was just in, you know, man, and, and songwriting, I don't have to tell you any of this s**t, but songwriting, you know, you're in a place that's comfortable and you're getting results.

It begets more songwriting. Sure. Yeah. And it just, I, like, I'd go home for the night and I'd write two more pieces. Yeah. You know, Martin, I got two more song ideas. Of course you do. You know, and, and at the end of this thing, I ended up with nearly 60 songs, have nearly 60 songs. So Money in the bank, always. You know, it's always good having that many, uh, gr great ideas to be able to pull out and use, you know what I mean?

To be in the process. Uh, uh, I, I'm sure you've experienced this, and I, I was curious about, you know, like, uh, have you, have you ever like hung onto an idea, like, for like, maybe like a writing period, whether it's a Guns Roses, whether a Guns and Roses record, or, or a Duff record or whatever.

It doesn't make that particular one, but maybe like a record or two down the road, it finally finds its shape and its form. But, you know, it's good enough to hold onto and to keep tinkering with.

I've got, I've got a few of those that I'm like, this would've been good on, on this first record, but, you know, I'm holding onto that for sure. Something else.

But this is all fresh stuff, and that's gotta feel really good. Yeah. You know what I mean? Uh, getting to, uh, it's always scary for me, uh, in a way. And I, and I, I, uh, I think a lot of things that are worth worthwhile, uh, doing, uh, and also gratifying doing, or, or have a pretty good element of fear to it, you know, for me. Absolutely. You know what I mean? I'm like, f**k, what the,

what am I gonna do now? You know what I mean? Like, starting from an absolute zero is terrifying, but it's necessary, you know? Yeah. Um, But you have enough of those moments now that you know you're gonna Get through. It's true. But, but it doesn't lessen the feeling or, uh, or no.

Or, or make the pro process less frustrating for me, which is like, okay, put the, put the spikes on. Let's get the, let's get the oxygen. Let's start climbing the mountain. You know what I mean? Like, okay.

It's so, it's, so, It could be, might be a little slippery, some spots might be a little dicey, might get a little cold, you know, might be a little, little terrifying, or, or death toing at moments. But, but, uh, it's kind of exhilarating, you know, to, to, uh, to go through the process. It is for me. And I'm, and I know it is for you. Yeah. Um, I, I recently heard, uh, uh, I recently heard the Long, long Feather song. Oh,

Yeah, Yeah, yeah. Talk to me about that a little bit. That what's Right. What's a cool imagery on that song? Right. So, um, you know, I, I was like, what's, what's chords that have some movement? You know? And I was just a, I don't usually write in sort of like, yeah, I guess somebody pointed out to me, oh, CI ten four. I'm like, Yeah. It's, it's definitely a asymmetrical for sure.

And that's what I loved about it, you know, because it, it still has a great flow to it, you know? Yeah. Rock and roll. I only count to four, so, so ten four, it's really confusing for me. So, but anyhow, I had this, um, again, it was the chorus. Oh, yeah. Oh, oh. Long feathers home. Like, what is, that has to be the, the words for this, and what does that, what does that mean to me? And I know what it means to me.

I know what it f*****g means to me. And when I got sober and went into, to Benny Martial Arts and Yeah. Just fully, 'cause I, I wondered what was in his eyes, and I met him.

Somebody introduced us, and he said he would take your senses. My senses. Yeah. I'm sorry. Yes. Yeah. And he said he would take me in and, uh, he had just got done with a 20 year undefeated career. He was, he's the legend man.

And this guy with this knowledge and everything, calm in his eyes. I'm like, how the f**k do you get that? We didn't know that. We, we saw somebody like that when we were using, we're like, yay, f**k off.

I'm out. Right. And now I wanted this, and I was the mystery and the, and yeah. So I dove in and I was doing two, you know, two aday in the dojo, and I would just, you know, flick boils and stuff were coming out and just, but at the end of the day, we would do a got me into this, this meditation just to go someplace and build my own little house, and I could do work on myself there. Being honest with yourself. Yeah.

Look in the mirror in this place. Yeah, yeah, Yeah. Yeah. Huh. Sure. Look in the mirror. Sure. What you talking about? And, and in the morning at home, keep your house clean. Yeah. Keep your body clean.

Keep your clothes clean. Look at yourself in the mirror and smile in the morning. Yeah. And today's a good day to die. I'm like, what's that part? What's That have to do with anything? Yeah. And, and, um, since they Benny Blackfoot Indian. Yeah.

So there's a lot of the stuff in my martial arts that, man, it parallels the 12 steps of the aa. Yeah. Hand in hand hand. I mean, he's a universal choice, hand in hand, you know? Yeah, sure. And, uh, to being honest.

And I started making phone calls and trying to meet with people, like, did I do something? I have, I, I have this memory that I might have Became probably another lighthouse for you. Yeah.

Right. Oh. But oh, meant I got, but, but today is a good day today, really, um, means after a year or more of, look at myself in the, I realized, because I'd made all the calls that day before I'd met the people.

I kept myself clean. I had nothing. I woke up one morning, I had nothing laying over me. Not one f*****g thing to have a day like that. Oh, today's a good day to die. If, if it's today you're clean.

I've told everybody I love 'em. You're clean. Yeah. And I'm good. And I'm, You've done the things, you feel like you're in a good space. You, you're not grading any damage. Right.

It's a good day. So if it's today, it's a die good day to die. And that's, so I used that in Long Feather song. I, that's really the meaning of the song is like, getting through that.

But I used Crazy Horse in general, Custer. Sure. And, you know, manifest Destiny and Poison Pill, poison Blankets and all that stuff to this long feather, this crazy horse or long feather. It's like saying, well, I've done everything right today. So it's, today, today's a good day to die.

Cool. It's a great song. Yeah. It's a great song. So you've been, you know, the, the bridge from, the bridge from tenderness to, to lighthouse. Right. Uh, I've, I've just, I've watched you not, not only, uh, kind of find a different, uh, uh, a different color, I guess, to express yourself in musically. It's, it's, it's just a, it's, it's, it's very, very direct. It's very simple. Uh, it's very heartfelt.

Uh, it's not so, you know, amplified and rock and roll. Right. But, but, but, uh, it's, it's kinda like, uh, like a, like a singer songwriter kind of, kind of thing, you know? Yeah. And, and, uh, talk about the, the, the bridge from like tenderness to, to lighthouse. I mean, Al also just as a writer, you, you know, you become just a great writer, you know, writing Right. This, this time writing. Yeah. Not musically, you know,

it's, it's, it's really cool to see, see you, uh, open up. And I've just enjoyed as your friend, and also being a fan of yours, uh, seeing you find different creative new fields to plow, plow over and plant some s**t in. Yeah. And roast stuff in. So, talk about that a little bit.

Yeah. So, so writing of words, you know, that really, I mean, there's a couple things there. There's my relationship with Mark Lannigan, you know, when he, There's a fly in here that keeps landing on, It's not landing on you. So landing on me.

No, it's, it goes, goes from your head to my head. To your head. To my head. Oh, okay. Evan. Fixing post fix and post. Um, Sorry. Yeah. We're good smelling pieces of s**t.

Yeah, Yeah, yeah. Yeah. Um, so, so meeting Mark in, in, uh, mark Lanigan in about 96. Oh, Yeah. Yeah. You know, and he was sober, and he was, I was like, this two year sober guy, like mm-hmm. And he would come up to my house, and, um, I knew his two, you know, but at that point, he had two acoustic records out, which were just like mm-hmm. And Manso like, oh, you're that, you know, uh, uh, I don't, you know, like, and he was looking to do something else.

And I'm like, okay. I don't know. I had this song called Song for Beverly, and he really liked it. I'm like, maybe we could figure something out. You can sing it. Or, but, but more than any of that, I just became friends with him and his, like, he turned me on to some authors and got me like a roomy book.

Like gimme these really cool presents, you know, like, he would think that would hit with me. Sure. And, um, then I played on this field songs records. Right. Um, and I played drums on it. I played a bunch of weird stuff. Mm-hmm. You know, guitar and bass and, um, Ben Shepherd was on there. It was just a bunch of cats, you know? Sure. And Mark, just the way he slowed things down, I mean, we all wish to sing like Mark Lanning, it's not gonna f*****g happen.

Yeah. But, uh, yeah. But the way, and he would think about his words and stuff, and I'm like, how do I, you know, and at this point, I had loaded and then Velvet Revolver, and I was, everything was cranked up and let's go, let's go. But at the heart of like, where I come from, yeah. You know, I, uh, is it like the, I saw The Clash in 79 before London calling and this gig like, changed my life. It's like, these guys like,

so exotic from England, you know, that the Paramount, it was 150 people there. And, and they were just like, was so truthful. And I'd seen Led Zeppelin loved it, the King do. But that's, they're, they're way far, you know, you can't touch them. They're Led Zeppelin.

They fly away in a jet plane, you know, that says Led Zeppelin on it. Yeah. The Clash pulled up you on a station wagon, you know, and they were like, uh, uh, a security guy punched a guy in the, who was Pogoing, and he thought he was like, being violent, broke his nose.

And it was one of our friends, you know. And, uh, so the Clash stopped the show. And, and Paul Simonon went back, got like the firefighting acts and said, oh, and St. Drummer's, like, there's no difference between us and you.

We'll cut down this, this f*****g fence here. And, uh, we're in this together. Oh, that's cool. And, uh, you know, we're in this together. Yeah. Like, whoa. Yeah. What a moment. Oh. And then sing Iggy like six, six months later.

And like, whoa, whoa, whoa. So how do I get back to, like, I, I wrote a bunch of songs when I was starting like 14 Yeah. Into my teen years, and made a bunch of different records and stuff.

How do get I get back to that three chords and the truth thing that I saw mm-hmm. In 7 19 79, the Clash. Sure. I mean, I have a radio show now.

It's called Three Chords In The Truth. You know? You do, you do. 'cause I just try to find great songs that cut through all the b******t, you know? Yeah. And so, how do I get back to that? And these three chord, four chord songs that I've started to write started with a song called Wasted Heart. I wrote in like 2009. And then The Tenderness Project, I had all these songs. I, I manager Brian Klein's, like, let's,

let's put something out in this vein. Sure. And it got Shooter Jennings. We use Shooter's Band. Now, when you use Shooter's Band, you're gonna have a pedal steel. Yeah. You're gonna have Aubrey and Fiddle.

Of course, you're gonna have all that, those voicings that suddenly your songs take on this new, like, oh, this is Americana, or whatever, whatever the f**k you want to call it. Yeah.

But the songs cut through and, and the three chords and the words, I really, I read great authors, and I've, I, my the favorite authors Cormack McCarthy is, is one. And he, like, he'll use three words where other authors might use 50.

And those three words will cut you at your knees. Knees, dude. It, it'll break you. You know? And so how do you do that? And, uh, really started working on my lyric writing, Boiling it down to the bare essence of, of Yeah. You know. Yeah. Well, you know, it's, it's been an element, uh, you know, it's been an element of, of, of your band style. Guns N Roses. You guys have, you did, you did Acoustic Peas.

You Right. You know, uh, you have songs that are, that are based a little bit more, that are a little bit more boiled down. You know, that influenced me. You know, you guys have been a big, big influence on me. I, I remember being, going to the loading dock backstage when you guys first kind of came to the, to the arena at the, at the, at the center there and, uh, uh, Oh, for Maiden. Yeah. Was

That the one? Yeah, I think so. Yeah. And, and, uh, and you know, you, you, that, that ep seeing a rock band of your guys' caliber put out the, the, the debut album that you did. And then to be able to, to do that, uh, you know, that inspired us to do like, SAP and Jar of Flies and stuff. Like, Hey, okay, we can, we don't just have to be a loud rock band. We could, we can play around with, with, uh, you know, whatever form we want to take.

Because you did that early. That inspired us, I think, to take some, some chances as well, and, and put out the, uh, uh, the SAP ep. And I think because we did it early. Yeah. And maybe we weren't, it wasn't so baked in with, with like the fan base. It was, it was early in the process. Like, oh, whoa, check this out. These guys. Do, you know, it, uh, I think it, it, it widens the, the,

I think you're the playing field, I guess, you know, you're not locked into just being a metal band or a rock band or whatever. Yeah. You can kind of do anything. So those, so I see those seeds were always there.

That's how we wrote Appetite Main. I mean, eight tenths of it was, was on acoustic acoustic guitars. Yeah. You know, stones Stone style. That's all We had, you know, acoustic, acoustic guitar and like a tape deck. Yeah, yeah.

Like a place we could, yeah. So, okay, well now, okay. And then there's a bottle of Night Train sitting there riding on the night train, you know? Okay, here we go. Uh, but yeah, acoustic guitars, like if you're like a young songwriter or whatever Yeah. You're, you've got your band. Like, if it sounds good on acoustic, maybe start there.

You know, you, you can put a lot of application before you behind you when you're done. And that might sound better. Might sound worse. Yeah. But if it sounds good on, on acoustic and try to get your acoustic writing chops down, because I mean, it's good enough for exile on Main Street in Stones. Well, I mean, to me, to me, like, if, if you can play a song acoustically, even if it's not, not recorded that way initially. Yeah. Right.

You can play it acoustically and still have an impact. That's a damn good song. Right. So that, I agree with you. That's a great place to start. Um, who el Uh, did you have other musicians besides me come into the project? Besides You? Yeah. Well, I mean, so, so I pulled, we got some masters back, I think during this, this period, um, that were a record I made called Beautiful Disease. But they took all my track,

they took all my masters. Uh, I had a release date. I did all the press. Uh, I'd done all the pictures, all the album cover and everything. And Geffen got bought by Universal and just shut down like a, a million records. Mine was one of 'em. Okay. You know, there's an LA Times article out about this record I just done. And I'm like, what do you mean? They're not putting it out like this Tuesday or like forever.

Yeah. We'll see. We'll see. Yeah. Um, and it, not only did they do that to me, they, um, they kept it, they kept my masters. Oh, nice. Nice. So you can buy these back for like 300 grand or whatever, for f*****g what?

These are my songs recorded my house, you know. And so I had had Abe Laborio, um, played drones on all this stuff. Oh, great. Yeah. And, uh, and Puffy Mike came up and played on a couple songs.

Oh, That's great. Yeah. And so I had all these songs and I had this song called Hope and, um, I can get to, I can tell you what a, how I chose these songs for this record too. Sure. Um, but I had, I mean, Abe Laborio, you know, he plays for, He's amazing. He's amazing. He's Paul, he's Paul McCartney's guy. Yeah. Yeah.

And, uh, he, he did a couple songs on the, the Brighton record as well. Yes, he did. So Yes, he did. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah. Um, so we know Abe and, and, uh, so I had these 1996 recordings, and we finally got 'em back. Brian's like, Hey, uh, really? Like, we still doing this?

And we got him back and, and we listened to some stuff on it. It's like, oh, it's so f*****g good. I mean, Abe and the acoustics are on it, are good, and all this stuff. And, and it was kind of more, there's a song called Hope and slash came up to my house in 96 in Hollywood Hills. Yeah. And we were hanging out.

What the intent wasn't for him to come and play on a song, but we were down in my little studio, and he's listening. He's like, Hey, man, you need a guitar on that. And this is when he wasn't doing amazing. And I was, again, I was like that bright eyed, sober guy. Today's a good day to die, you know? Uh, and, uh, and I knew how to record on tape. I was just that good enough. And the,

the amp was micd up. Okay. And I had a Les Paul, and, and he, he played on the song Hope. And so he forgot I played him the song Just, you know, what, a couple months ago when we decided to put put it on the record, oh, that's cool. He's like, dude, I don't remember this.

He goes, this is great. So I did resing it for this, just so my voice sounds the same throughout this. Yeah, sure. Um, but other than that, we, the, the song Hope We Got the Lighthouse to Begin, which is like that, that beacon of hope, um, at the end, you got Just Don't Know, which is like wondering what's next. And so I tried to make this like a, a, a great, a, a good book that I like to read has, has valleys, and it's got,

you know, hills and, and subject matter wise, lyrically wise, I wasn't really even listening to the music. Like what song goes into this? I have this song called Forgiveness, which is about, you know, things we've gone through as, uh, uh, uniquely American in the last six years.

Yeah. Like the divide and all this crap. Sure. And I travel so much. I'm like, I'm just not seeing the divide as it's being said on the news. Yeah. It's being, yeah, sure.

Holy s**t. Like sure. Uh, people are f*****g cool. Like, 98% of people are f*****g wanna be cool, you know? And, and, uh, so there's a song called Forgiveness. It's sort sort of sociopolitical, I mean, sort of. And, um, uh, I got God on 10th Street, which is just p****d off m**********r on the corner spitting and f*****g curling his toes and looking at us like you guys f****d it all up. Um, but some humor.

But it's kind of like floats through things where I think we were probably had time to start thinking about, um, during that time. And, uh, lyrically yes, some of that seeped in, I wrote a lot of songs.

Some of 'em are more real, like, that are yet to come out, um, kind of more hardcore social political, because there's a lot to be p****d off about, you know? Yeah. Uh, and being p****d off. It's okay to write a song. That's when you gotta like, look at your lyrics afterward, go to go, that's going, that's the dumbest thing you could ever say.

Sure. Wow. How the f**k did you write that? And, you know, try to get that intent through there. Well, Let's say your first draft is written with your heart. Your second draft is written with your head, right?

Yeah. Yeah. So we've talked about, uh, I think all of the songs, uh, on Lighthouse, uh, except for Fallen. Yeah. Fallen. Um, and, uh, again, this was, so this period was, this two year period was super intense. Like I, I I kind of told you, um, about Lighthouse, you know, with Susan and I, it was super Yeah.

Intense in such a f*****g wonderful way, you know? And, um, not, and not to be, uh, I'm not afraid to write about my chick, you know, and 'cause she's been such a lady. Yeah. And, and, and there's times when I see her, like, I, I f*****g might lose my, my breath a little bit, but she walks in, you know, and it's like, I just keep falling. I'm, I've fallen for you, you know? And it doesn't stop.

It's crazy, you know? And, uh, uh, crazy. In all the best of ways, especially like when we're literally, we're like, whoa, another one got divorced. We're like, we're like the f*****g, the wall of judgment back here going, and we're cool. Right. We're cool. Right.

We're f*****g cool. And, uh, you know, uh, we get it on and we do all the, the great stuff you should be doing, you know, and Sure. And, um, you know, hope and God on 10th Street and just don't know are all pieces of the path. Yeah. You know, but Susan's a really big piece of the path.

And if I were not to write about her on any record, it would be ridiculous. So, um, it's just, uh, she's my f*****g, my thing. Um, and a cool thing happened when I got done with this record, which was I went straight in, was asked to go help on a Iggy record, like write some songs.

Record. That's right. You got to play with the play with the IG man. Yeah. So we made this re we made part of his record for him, uh, Was that, uh, that was Andrew Watt. Right.

And Chad. Okay. We made like two Aussie records and this Iggy record. Sure. You know, we do it all of 'em like a date. Yeah. You know, let's write the songs. That's good. Let's record it. Great.

Sounds f*****g awesome. Let's move on. Uh, and so the Iggy Sy thing, so Iggy was very stoked on it all, and he wanted us to play some shows with him, like, yeah, of course. You're my, you're my Ulta. You're the Of course Parttime.

Yeah. You know, uh, God, that Must have been cool, Man. So we got to, he said, and he said, unless you guys want to do, go ahead. You pick dude your songs. Alright. All right.

Down on the streets and, and Loose and T b I. And, uh, but, um, we played the songs, I don't know how it happened somehow during like, rehearsals for these shows, um, he agreed to do like a spoken word thing on for the lyrics of Lighthouse.

And so I think we did the rehearsals, did the shows. I came back to Seattle and Martin. Um, we've not mentioned producer extraordinaire Martin for er, who's, without him, none of this s**t would be possible. Yeah.

'cause he's just the very, very best. Um, but we, it was Martin and I sitting in the, in the control room and those, you know, my little speakers there. And suddenly the voice of God, there'd be only like Iggy or Lannigan, you know, like those voices just shaking the speakers. Yeah. Like, wow.

My voice has never moved. These speakers like that by itself. And we put in, um, this kind of ethereal music behind it all up the chords of Lighthouse and, uh, and made it a classic old school reprise at the end after just unknown. Then there's a space and then this lighthouse reprise with Iggy. Yeah.

Just talking. God, that's gotta be so heavy to have, uh, you know, what that guy means to you, uh, as a fan and also setting you on a musical direction. You know, reading, reading your, your lyrics into a creative piece, you know, Crazy And, you know, let alone making a record with 'em and doing.

But haven't you like, man, dude, I pinched myself. Yeah. Because It's cool though. It's cool to celebrate s**t like that. Yeah. You know what I mean? To keep, it's, that's the, that's the little kid that's still alive in there, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah. So go ahead, finish what you were gonna say. Well, But like, you know, Iggy, that's the guy who's taught me. It's like Iggy Lemy and Prince for me. You know, it was the big three and Let and Prince are gone. The ho the

Holy Trinity, the Kind of, you know, it's just playing more. But that would be my, yeah, that's a good place. Um, and to have Iggy there is kind of unreal, but it's no more unreal than having you come in it.

And I get to watch you, you know how I love watching you fight for your solos. Jerry does this thing. He doesn't, you know, we've seen the players that come in and just go like, okay, you're done.

I guess I Have Tourette's syndrome when I record and write. I'm pretty good of trucking mouth most of the time. But it's, it's, it's pretty spectacular. He is, he is correct.

I love, but he fights for these your, your melodic things you fight for. You know, I, I mean, but you are, you're used to pulling things outta thin air. Like this is what we do, right? Yeah.

There's not a song and then there isn't and there's not a solo. And you wanted it to be this thing. And you fought that guitar and you got the, you got your sound and you're like, okay, this is cool.

And then you fought this melody and you, you found it. And then when you connected it all together, there's that, the fight up to that. Sure. This is great. F**k yeah. Cut, done God down. And I'm like, I, I'm like, I'm like, Martin, he's in. He's f*****g in. We got, this is gonna be good.

Certain apologize. I sorry guys. I'm not mad at anybody. This is just my thing. And he is like, this is just what he does, man. Yeah. Oh, I love it. Yeah. Yeah. I think we're gonna get something good.

'cause I've seen you do it so many times. Like, Jesus, I think the first time I saw you do it, I'm like, oh man, he's, I guess he must be really stuck. And then this thing came out like, oh, that's his process. Well There's, there's, there's different kinds of players and, and, and, uh, uh, I've heard comedians talk about this a lot. There's a, there's, there's a people who are great at improv and then there's people who are,

who are, who are, you know, can, can deal with some improv, but they kind of need to work off a page a little bit. Yeah. Put in the work to make sure you got the, you know, do some, do some wraps, make sure you got it together. Yeah.

So it's nice and smooth and you feel confident about it when you go into those, uh, situations where like, like working with you or whatever. Like, I have nothing. I have nothing. So, so that it's, it's, it's, you Got two guys staring at you.

I have nothing. I'm like, I'm not, and I'm not an improv guy. I'm not, I'm not a guy that's musically trained. I don't think that you are either. We just kind of It. No, that's why I appreciate it. Find it. You know, so you, I appreciate you.

You Gotta you gotta, you gotta fight and you gotta find it. Yeah. Yeah, Yeah. So if you see Jerry, like any of his solos, like Alison Cha whatever, Brighton, whatever he is done, those are things he's fought for. Just, he's not one of those guys. Like, I don't know who do you name? Uh, but like, oh yeah, here it is. You know? Yeah. E fight. And I think the fight is that An EFL major with a midn scale of, I think

There's a no idea. Flat seven On there. No Idea. Yeah. We don't know. We don't know this stuff, but, uh, but that's, I think your, your, your solos pretty much all of them.

'cause I got to play a couple shows with the guys playing rhythm guitar. That's right. And started like, you gonna come and play four songs, let say when William first came in Yeah. Remember nine? Do you wanna just play?

So I learned, ended up learning, uh, 27 songs. I think I remember. Yeah. But that, critically, critically, I knew all the songs, but critically listening to guitar parts. And that's when I was like, holy f**k.

You know, I mean, I knew you were always great, but like, and the solos, like how did he find that in this, you know? And, and, uh, that really, like your guitar playing, me doing critically, going through that. Um, I mean, your whole band, but your guitar playing 'cause I was playing like the second guitar. Yeah.

And holy s**t. Um, and to, to have you come and do like, Hey man, I'll play on this thing. You know, like, okay. Yeah. I mean, f**k, that's more than just Sure. Us being, I mean, for, for me it's, it's, it's in the same area as the IGN thing. Of course. Yeah. As for me, it's, you know, you're like, and, um, perhaps slash name.

I, well dude, you know, I I love you, you know, as, as a friend, but you're a f*****g, you know, huge hero of mine. And I love your f*****g band.

And, and, uh, you know, I give a, I give a lot of credit to, you know, there, there's certain things that strike you. You mentioned the, the Iggy Pop show. You know, you, you're, yeah. Your guys was one, one of those for me. Wow. You know, so. Wow.

You know, how About that? Yeah. It's cool. It's nice to still be sitting here making music and talking about it. You know, Couple guys that could, and people Show up and like it. They do. That's nice. You know, it's cool.

Yeah. There's a few of us that are on that stage that probably shouldn't be there, you Know? That's true. Yeah. That's true. But you know, uh, we are, we are. Yeah.

Yeah. And you know, today, today's a good day to Die. Yeah. Yeah. We have, uh, we have a few, uh, uh, questions that the fans, uh, put together Yeah. For me to read and ask you. Okay. So we have, uh, uh, from Dylan Cox. Uh, how does this album contrast with Tenderness? I love that record.

Um, contrast, I think it's really, um, not even, um, so much songwriting. It's kind of, I've found my kind of little vein. Uh, not that I write the same kind of songs, but, uh, my comfort area where tempos and I'm not afraid to go and do these certain things and get weird. Go to different, get weird. Get weird. Exactly.

Yeah. Um, I'll use this Moog, you know, I don't know how it works, but let's try it out. Um, but tenderness, um, this would be, if I use Shooter's band for, for this record, Dylan, it would probably sound a lot more like, like tenderness.  

His band is so kind of iconic in how they play and do their thing. And, and, uh, so if you're just like the new, the artist that comes in with his band, it's gonna be you with those great players and it's gonna sound like them.

'cause they have their own identity. So this was really, you know, we talk about Jerry being there, but, and, and, uh, and Iggy Iggy did his thing from Miami or whatever, um, slash and Abe, that was in 1996. Mm-hmm. Um, the, the period of the lockdown or whatever, when it was just Martin and I until Jerry came in the studio.

Yeah, that's right. You know, really, like, we had Jamie come up a couple times as a drummer for like two days. Here's nine songs. Can we, you know, he'd stay at a hotel and we'd do the Covid protocol, all that.

But it was really just Martin and I then you coming in was really nice f*****g energy. Like, man, this feels like I'm having somebody play on the record, you know? Yeah. After being alone this whole time. Sure. So, uh, I don't know.

The difference is, uh, I think probably just the playing a lot of the stuff myself. Um, uh, but having some other different, different players. Uh, the local guys, I had Tim de Ju don't want to not mention his great guitar playing. And, and Ryan Burns on keyboards and, and Jamie Douglas on drums.

Yeah. Cool. Uh, Maddie Coel, uh, asks, uh, this is the song has saved my life during a few panic attacks, uh, when I wanted to give up. What inspired you to be so open about your mental health struggles?

Love you so much. Thank you for everything. Um, I don't think I've ever been afraid to really talk about my, you know, uh, mental health been a thing. I, I started, uh, getting panic attacks when I was 16. My first one was in my mom's shower, and I thought the house there was an earthquake. Sure.

But the house had sunk three feet. Yeah. And I come to crawl out of the, in the shower and nothing had moved. Yeah. And so I didn't know that about you. Yeah.

That you struggled with that. They rush me to the er up at Group Health. Yeah. And, uh, I thought I could, I've done l s d and mushrooms and you hear back then those scare you could get some stuck in you and be, have a bad trip for the rest of your life.

Yeah. And I thought, oh, it's fine. They have not coming back at 16, not coming back, not coming back from this. You did all those drugs. Um, but it was, uh, they, I think they gave me something and then I wanted to talk to like a psychiatrist.

Yeah. And like, you put this stuff on this board and he goes, this is what's happened. You had a panic attack. Ah. And I thought it was the only person in the world who had it.

And that's really scary. And finally, that girl I knew I was about 18 friend of a friend, she said, oh, you these panic attacks you get. I just read a book.

Like millions of people have these. Yeah. And when I heard that, I was like, oh, this weight came off my shoulders. I moved to LA when I was 19 or 20 and, and, um, and I, I, I found a little way to cope with panic attacks and, and alcohol, you know? Sure.

And then that became when I could start affording stronger alcohol or whatever, that really worked. It f*****g really sure. Worked. And then, you know, pills were great or whatever. And then I, I got a taste for, you know, cocaine. 'cause you, you drink longer, of course, you know, let's do that.

That's a great, but then you do too much Coke and you have the major panic attacks. So then you drink, you know, half of your half gallon just to get over your panic attack. Sure.

It's not the healthiest way to deal with A, to deal with a panic attack. And, uh, so I self-medicated for a good 13. Yeah. You know, from 16 to to 30 till my pancreas burst and my body just couldn't take anymore. But how am I gonna pat panic attacks sober, you know? Yeah.

That was a real f**k. And, and I was in my dojo, like I said, twice a day, you know, I'm like, what's the mystery to this thing? And I found some really, I did try Lexapro and what else? I don't know, you know, as I sang the song, you know. Yeah. Ah, you can't get a heart on l that's not gonna work. You know, like that's giving me a panic attack not to be so out, but Yeah. True.

Um, I, I relate to all of, all of what you said. I've, I've been through all of that too. Yeah. And, uh, you, you have to find a, you know, it, it's, uh, uh, you have to find, find, uh, for yourself, uh, you know, a healthier way, I guess, to, to deal with it, you know?

And that takes some effort and some trying some things out until you find some place to settle. Yeah. Shit's never gonna be perfect. And it's, you know, uh, you know, thing, things are always gonna happen. Uh, you're gonna have a flare up and, you know, and Yeah. Yep. I, I deal with a lot of borderline clinical depression issues, so, you know, uh, I found out mine wasn't clinical. So I have, I have, I'm under the care now of a psychiatrist.

It sounds cool. It sounds more serious. So I just said clinical, you know, I, well, I thought mine because I, I felt mine fell into depression right after the, the Guns N Roses Stadium tour. We did the first one, and we get back, I'm in the la I'm getting a massage, dude, kids are at home. Everybody's time.

We just did the stadium tour. Things are going great in like, my business life. My old bands back together. My God, this is great. I'm getting a massage at Home.

Life's awesome. I Feel like's. Life's awesome. Yeah. I dove into the ground and, and it was a depression. It lasted. So I, at that point, they found, uh, a psychiatrist for me. And I had to be, McCobb had to drive me down there. I couldn't drive, you know the deal. Yeah.

Tie shoes, nothing. Sure. And got me in and I got, we got, we got figured out. So I'm, I'm under the care. I got good health insurance once a week, man.

You know, it's cool that, uh, you know, for me, uh, you know, music is one of those things that, that maybe softens some of the edges of the imperfect irregularities that make up a human being. Like, make up you and, and make up me and everybody else. And so it's, uh, it's always been there.

So when you put something into a song like that and you're that open and raw and honest and, and you know, it connects with somebody else. Yeah. Like you said, it's not just me. Yeah. You know, it's not just me.

It's a human experience that you, uh, uh, I think that's a really magical thing about music. It's, it's, it's a, uh, it's an in inanimate piece of plastic that you're putting like real thoughts and real emotions and experiences, and you send it out into the world when people still had tapes and records and stuff like that. Now it's files or whatever, but you send it out in the world and somebody picks that inanimate thing up, puts it on a machine and plays it, and then all of this life comes out of it.

Yeah. And you connect with it. It's magical. Yeah. You know? Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Um, Abby asks, uh, you're the reason I picked up a bass at 13 years old Jelly.

What is your all time favorite bass that you've ever played? My all time favorite is, is really just that, um, first bass I, I was able to buy when we got a record advance and I was able to buy real gear the first time in my life. I was 23 years old, and I bought that Fender Jazz special that I'd been looking at.

We rehearsed right behind Guitar Center. Yeah. So we were those guys, those f*****g guys that would go in Guitar Center and look at s**t and play it and never bikes. We could. And finally, I came in one day and I'm like, I want that and I want this GK head, and I want this, you know? Yeah. Uh, chorus Pedal. Yeah. I want this, I've been this chorus pedal and these strings, I think, and, and I got like stuff, you know? Yeah. And that jazz special,

I played it, so I knew it had like the kind of hot rotted out pickups. It for me. It's got the growl, and it's, um, also got, I, I mean, I listen to a lot of like parliament and prints and, and cameo and stuff during that period. Yeah. Um, and I wanted That's good.

Not to be a slap bass player, but to have some of those killer Yeah. Pop offs and stuff. Yeah. Um, and, you know, you don't want to be in a rock band playing, I didn't wanna be in a rock band playing like funky stuff. Some Of, some of the best base bass players in the world, r and b and Funk.

Oh my God. Yeah. Yeah. So, just to have a little bit of that sound. Um, this bass, uh, the Fender Jazz special, 19 96, 19 86, uh, Japanese made, and now I, I have a, a model that's You got your own base. Yeah.

Yeah. So that base, That base. Uh, let's see here. We have, uh, Anna Louisa, you and Jerry have done some great collaborations before and make a great duo. What's the best part about working with me? Him, she says, but I'm saying me. What's the greatest thing about working with me? Yeah.

Yeah. Yeah. Well, I think I've covered, you know, I, I got to work with you, uh, a lot on, on Brighton, or, you know, enough. Yeah. And, um, Jerry Abby, Jerry is a, uh, a complex music, uh, maker, uh, songwriting.

That's the way he plays f*****g his voice, uh, places he finds to sing weird places. You find to sing that. I mean, that's genius, you know? Uh, so to, to be able to step in with Jerry and, and we did a video, which we're gonna talk about in a second for just Don't Know You and I. Yeah.

But that was two guys that gave us two hours to have acoustic guitars in our hands. Yes. We made the video, but we also wrote like four songs. We got about Four or five Good ideas. Yeah.

Ideas. Yeah. Um, so I love Make Music with Jerry Abby. Uh, I, I know it's in our cards at some point. Not too distant Future, who Knows? To be continued. To Be continued. Yeah.

Yes. Uh, thank you. By the way, Ariana, uh, asks, uh, do you find it rewarding to turn your toughest or most challenging experiences into new material? Is it gratifying or is it a catharsis to release it through music?

I mean, I'm sure it's a catharsis, right? Yeah. Right. Yeah. Um, uh, I agree with that. You gotta be careful on what you, I mean, what it might seem like I'm putting everything out there. I'm not. Yeah, definitely not sure. Uh, because it's, nobody wants to know everything about anybody, uh, a person, and I don't want to expose F*****g fault. Yeah. I'm sure, you know, but I guess, you know, this song's gonna save my life. It's exposing a fault. It's not really a fault.

It's just a, it's my thing. I got, you know, it's, it's, it's not a fault. But, um, I think having some nuggets, uh, nuggets of those things in there, like we were talking about earlier, uh, uh, okay, well, that stays Mm.

Then not that, whatever, that Lyric. Yeah. Uh, the cool thing about writing, uh, and also, you know, there's so much subject matter, you know, uh, the way you, what you explained with Long Feather, you know, that's, that's, that's multiple things telling a story. And I, I love that. I, I love things that, I love things that may mean one thing might mean another.

Right. So maybe the one person that's gonna mean this to another person, that might mean something else. Yeah. I also like writing sometimes, uh, uh, from a character. Maybe it's not me. Ah. You know what I mean? Yeah. Like, I'll, I'll, I'll, I'll think from the point of view of a character, you're, you're the, the constant that's always in the process, so that that truth and that honesty and, and the experiences and things, you think that's always gonna be there. You can kind of always trust that,

that that's there. Right. But it's interesting. I I, I've even given myself, uh, and I know this is your interview and I'm on a tangent it Fine. No, no. Go.

But, uh, kind of recently, within the last few years or whatever, I'll get myself an assignment. Okay. All right. Okay. I'm gonna write about this, you know, and like, and that's very unusual for me.

'cause I don't, I usually stumble around in the dark till to find something, but like, when I worked with Tyler Bates on, uh, uh, the, the John Wick soundtrack for the second song or whatever. Okay. Okay.

I'm gonna write a character song. Okay. That's kind of interesting. Giving myself an assignment to, okay, I'm gonna write about the character. That was interesting to me. Wow. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Anyway, anyway, Assignment. Yeah.

Assignment I gave myself. I'm, I gave myself an assignment. Yeah. I, I'll probably try that. I'm gonna now. Okay. I got, that's another tool I got now. Sure. Uh, Matthew Ramirez from Bo. Ah, all right. Yeah. Uh, throughout your career you have explored different musical genres and projects, which is awesome. What inspires you to venture into different musical styles, and how do you think these experiences have enriched your career as a musician?

Yeah. I don't, uh, I don't know about how has enriched my career so much. Um, I don't know about that. You know, like being in punk rock bands, I was like in hardcore punk rock band.

I was in the Fastbacks was like a really fun girl pop punk band, you know? Uh, uh, the living, which is more like the Clash and the, you know, the far super hard car. I was playing drums, playing different instruments and different bands.

That really broadened my whole thing for, so when I made the move to la, I had a guitar, I had a bass. I sold my drip drum kit before I left. 'cause it was a piece of s**t.

It was like, how am I gonna get this down here? And, um, and, uh, so then the, the cops came and took my guitar away. So I'm a bass player.

And then, you know, we formed that band pretty quick after I went there. So I became a bass player. Um, but different genres. Like, I don't need to, I'm playing tonight in this f*****g great rock band.

We play f*****g great in, in the kind of rock we play. Yeah. You absolutely do. We play a wide spectrum of, of styles in, in our, in our music. When I go to my studio, I'm not gonna try to even mess with that.

I'm not gonna mess with that. I'm gonna write songs. Some of my songs I write can be used for that, for sure. Uh, and I have some, uh, but, uh, you know, like, like doing this, doing the shooter record, like, okay, you wanna call it Americana, whatever you wanna call it. I don't care.

But there's a beautiful fiddle and she can sing. Yeah. Amazing. And the John, the Pedal steel, and he can sing amazing and play guitar and, and, um, and now broadening, I mean, I, I, I swear, you know, like if I think ahead, like if Jerry and I do something, I'm like, we talked, we joked about it earlier, like, just need a Moog fatty, two acoustic guitars, you know, some weird Nord keyboard that we'll figure it out and our songs,  

you know, and let's make something f*****g, so I just think of that. I don't think, like, what do I want it sound like? 'cause it'll end up turning up. Yeah. How it wants to, to sound. Sure. I think, Here's a couple of fun ones here. Alright. Uh, this is from Michael Ashley. Uh, I think I know the answer, but what band would you have wanted to be in for their debut record besides your own? Yes.

Ooh, s**t. You know, I've never been asked that question. What, who were you gonna Say? I added the, I added the, uh, uh, besides your own band, because your debut iss pretty badass. Who, who Would you think For me, the debut album? I mean, that flies just the one he really Likes. It's been not been there the whole time.

He really likes me. No. Um, God, that's a tough one. Whoa. For their debut album. I mean, I, I, I mean, you don't need two guitar players in Van Halen, but I might say Van Halen Pretty good first record. Yeah. Right.

Pretty great record. Just that rise, you know, to be a part of that rise. Yeah. That's the thing. Like, you wanna be part of the rise or something special. Like, yeah.

For a Stooges record, nobody gave a s**t until like 10 years later. Hey, I pistols record, or, all right. Led Zeppelin. I don't know. What do you want? We'll, We'll, we'll, we'll move on. Yeah. Uh, Lee Sharp wants to know, uh, and this is a tough one too. What, how, how, and I, I don't know how to answer these questions, uh, because there's so many great, uh, options, but I'm gonna ask it anyway, Lee. So Lee Sharp wants to know, uh,

what do you think is the greatest song in history? Jerry hasn't ridden it yet. Ah, ah, Since this such a personal, it's such a personal thing. And, and, and I know for me, and probably for Lee too, man, like, uh, who asks the question, like, it's so hard to answer those sorts of questions because like, you know, I, I might give you a different answer in five minutes or 10 minutes or two hours or, or the next day, you know? I mean,

there's so many who's the greatest drummer of all time, who's the greatest guitar player of all time. You know, like, it's, it's, it's impossible to answer that stuff. Very impossible.

Ethan Hamilton, you know, he asks, uh, uh, as a known Cormick McCarthy fan, uh, you recently even got a tattoo related to one of his books. Uh, what is your favorite Cormick McCarthy novel and why?

Ooh. Yeah. They're all f*****g amazing. Blood Meridian is my favorite novel. I don't know if you've read that yet. They've been trying to make a movie of this. Yeah. A movie Of it forever.

Yeah. But it's just so gnarly and so complex. Um, it's so western and it's, but there's a lot of human ears and it yeah. Like human body parts that they've ride around it on the horses. And, um, but the language in the book is, uh, and that the fight, you know what it reminds me of? When you fight for your solos, that's blood meridian, like all the way through fighting for the, the word.

And it's just such a amazing ride to take. Okay. Yeah. Interesting. Yeah. Yeah. It's, that's why I, I think I identify so much with your fight for your solos. I'm like, it's gonna be worth it, man. This is gonna be worth it. Cool.

Uh, Jason Shaki wants to know, uh, what you'd like to be remembered for. Is it your solo work being the basis for Guns N Roses, being an advocate for mental health, being a, oh, this is all, probably all of it. Being a husband and a father or something else.

Yeah, I think when it comes down to it, the, the, the thing is, you know, father and, and a husband, of course. You know that number one. That's number one. Yeah. That's everything. My girls are, you know, all three of my girls are everything. F**k man. I don't know.

Lemi had a great funeral. We were all there, man. It's like, I wanna be remembered like that. Hell yeah. You know, badass m**********r, you know, like they got a statue who might Surrounded by good people who love you, that you love. That's it. Yeah. Yeah.

Okay, folks. So, uh, it's been fun, uh, talking, uh, with Mr. Duff McCannon here. I'm Jerry Cantrell and, uh, we are, uh, going to debut. This is gonna be the world premier of the video for, I just don't know. Enjoy says so on the page. Yeah.

Jerry's professional man, The fly. Just, All right. You can probably get some, oh, did the fly land on the pages? He picked it up. The fly landed on the page when he, Of course it did. Thanks buddy. Of course, man. No problem.

I was the last born of a long line. The time for change in reckoning didn't talk much, but my eyes were wide, just too young to take it in. I heard the Yelling from the living room.

Hidden secrets hard to keep. I think I held my breath from the age of two, held by my sister until I sleep. Is it coming? Not so easy when it goes.

How long do we have? I wanna know. Stream You watch it flow to the river as it grows to the oceans, to the Didn't finish school, I guess I got a clue.

Tried to break me down, bust me into not too blind to see what's right in front of me. Too busy chasing down a destiny. Easy. Not so easy when it goes.

How long do we have? I, the river as it grows come not so easy when, how long? I like a dream to the river as it grows to the oceans To Ever I, so I'm the last one of the family.

Still this ain but not so easy when it goes. How long do we have? I wanna know. Like a stream? Yeah. You watch it flow to the river as it grows.

Easy come, not so easy. How long you come to the river as it grows to the oceans under, to the, to the river. As it grow oceans under To the Ever.

I just, I don't know.

"

And we flew back to Seattle. And then I was just in, you know, man, and, and songwriting, I don't have to tell you any of this s**t, but songwriting, you know, you're in a place that's comfortable and you're getting results.

It begets more songwriting. Sure. Yeah. And it just, I, like, I'd go home for the night and I'd write two more pieces. Yeah. You know, Martin, I got two more song ideas. Of course you do. You know, and, and at the end of this thing, I ended up with nearly 60 songs, have nearly 60 songs. So Money in the bank, always. You know, it's always good having that many, uh, gr great ideas to be able to pull out and use, you know what I mean?

"

The real Chinese Democracy 3 is the hoard of Duff songs

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1