"Catcher In The Rye" Discussion Thread

AnEskimo

Guest JohnUlmer
:anger: wow, this is worste than that stupid rumor about axl doing that rap duet with arnold.... :anger:

How did something I posted on IMDb's Schwarzenegger forum as a joke over a year ago make its way here? :drevil:

:rofl-lol:

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are parts in CITR that sound the same as the Blues. :unsure:

Was Scott right??? :unsure:

Grimo.

Unlikely Grimo :) All bands have that unqiue sound, like Queen, Rammstein, all groups. Gn'R are no different, you can tell pretty much instantly, it's just the style the new Gn'R play in.

Thank god :D I never noticed any real similarity between any of the songs anyway :)

Axls voice is the first thing that hits me about the songs, instantly recognizable, and from that I just think GNR, not Finck & Tommy etc, just GNR :)

Grimo.

Does anyone know if Brian May has been on Alice Cooper's radio show yet? I remember reading on Blabbermouth that he was set to appear but I've checked the site and in the "upcoming" section I couldn't see any mention of Brian May. I ask because I emailed in asking for Alice to ask about Catcher In The Rye a while back :).

Monty

I just wanted to say that CITR is a wonderful song (though some slight sectional issues where more bridging is required) and I think it has the potential to be a song to absolutely take over the world! Can't wait for the full version / good quality.

haven't bothered to check 44 pages to see whether anyone else has said this so sorry if it's been said... BUT in the solo does anybody hear Brian May miss a note, I don't think it is intentional!

I didn't noticed that. :o

It's around the 2:34 mark listen to it

• 2 weeks later...
After checking the lyrics a bit closer, I just realised that lyricaly this is VERY good song as well. I think it really hits the spot on the myth around this book. Excelent!

Yeah, it really does. And people that aren't getting it, must not have read Catcher in the Rye or know much about John Lennon's death because the song takes on complete meaning when you do. These are some of the best lyrics Axl has written I think.

I also have trouble believing that some people think this is the weakest of the tracks. Were all of these people expecting this to be AFD part 2? Because that is the only reason I can find for why some people would slander such a well done and emotionally affecting track.

This is fast becoming one of my favourites. At first I thought the singing was weak in the song, but I think Axl's voice sounds better than ever. It's so clean and fits well with the song. I love the 'Nanana' bit I think that is sheer class. It's obviously influenced by the Beatles. Although I don't much like Brian May I think his solo is perfect for the song. The outro to the song is amazing aswell. I'd love to hear a version with perfect sound quality and preferably without skipping. By the looks of things, we don't have long to wait anyway. :)

I don't know if they could pull off that song on tour though, minus Brian May, and Axl'd have to do piano whilst sitting and singing like in NR.

Couldn't Dizzy play it on piano like 'The Blues'? Axl could strut around and sing - Although I'd like him to sit and play that one. I want to see how he handles 'IRS' live. It's a really quick song and it requires a lot of him vocally. If you look at pictures of Axl now it doesn't look like he has that voice. :no:

I don't know if they could pull off that song on tour though, minus Brian May, and Axl'd have to do piano whilst sitting and singing like in NR.

Couldn't Dizzy play it on piano like 'The Blues'? Axl could strut around and sing - Although I'd like him to sit and play that one.

It's possible, but I think that Axl should exert himself less, even strutting could lead to a poor performance vocally.

I want to see how he handles 'IRS' live. It's a really quick song and it requires a lot of him vocally. If you look at pictures of Axl now it doesn't look like he has that voice. :no:

I think he could pull it off really well, if he stands stillish, and usess more hand motions and interacts more with the rest of the band.

Couldn't Dizzy play it on piano like 'The Blues'? Axl could strut around and sing - Although I'd like him to sit and play that one.

It's possible, but I think that Axl should exert himself less, even strutting could lead to a poor performance vocally.

I want to see how he handles 'IRS' live. It's a really quick song and it requires a lot of him vocally. If you look at pictures of Axl now it doesn't look like he has that voice. :no:

I think he could pull it off really well, if he stands stillish, and usess more hand motions and interacts more with the rest of the band.

I remember how poorly co-ordinated 'Oh My God' and 'Paradise City' were at Rock in Rio 2001. The band was goin' superfast and Axl could barely keep up. Infact I think he finished singing 'Oh My God' about 6 minutes after the band had stopped.

Of course having not performed since 1993 that obviously would happen. I hope he practices regularly. I'm sure he does because he has such a clean voice now and it is almost vintage and with the more shows he plays the more strength it will take. I was never a huge fan of the 'raspy' vocal because it was not really singing. However, I agree about his performace - Maybe running around is not as good an idea as it once was. Remember the Ritz 1988, they delivered one of the best shows ever and he had about 16 feet to move back and forth across.

I remember how poorly co-ordinated 'Oh My God' and 'Paradise City' were at Rock in Rio 2001. The band was goin' superfast and Axl could barely keep up. Infact I think he finished singing 'Oh My God' about 6 minutes after the band had stopped.

Exaggerated Kev, it's 4 seconds in OMG, which was co-ordinated that way. Paradise City was cut vocally too, to make it easier.

To be honest, its the worst out fo the lot. Not the edge of rock from the other songs, and below what we think of November Rain, the only song that comes close to its style

So you must not like Queen, the Beatles, or John Lennon then. I think this song is amazing for what it is a meant to be - a throwback to the type of music made by those bands and a tribute to John Lennon while at the same time examining the thought process of the man that killed him.

And this is very different from November Rain. Just because both songs use a piano, it does not make them the same style.

Edited by SunshineSlayer