"Catcher In The Rye" Discussion Thread

AnEskimo

The song is about Lennon's killer (so i read on a forum). I wonder why. Axl wore a mansion shirt during the UYI tour. Maybe he has a thing for killers. Blind Melon have written the best song about a killer (Ed Gein) 'Skinned' from the 'Soup' album. Cacther in the Rye has similar sounds in it that Blind Melon used to use (oh). On the subject of songs about killers, Slayer have a good one too called 'Dead Skin Mask' also about Ed Gein, subject matter aside, it is a killer of a song :D

Edited by dobadog

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The few seconds I heard of it are really nice, never heard the full version.... :xmassrudolph:

Who plays the solo in this song?...it sound like Slash is doing it......then again, Slash wasn't round at that time! could this be...........Finck??

In my opinion....this is the best GNR solo ever!

I've heard people say Brian May, that's what I actually thought at first because it sounds so much like the Red Special. But, I'm gussing it either is May or Finck

It is Brain May like you will read in another thread, May confirmed himself on his site a few days ago when he received a copy of this leak....whcih I still don't have :xmassrudolph:

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbmar06.html#05

**Thu 02 Mar 06**

CATCHER IN THE RYE, CHINESE DEMOCRACY LEAKS AND AXL ROSE

ah yes ...

"Catcher in the Rye" is a great track .. I was pretty surprised to find a mix of it in my inbox this week .... after all these years. I wonder who leaked this stuff. Yes, my guitar is there, nice and crisply recorded. It was a blast doing the sessions. I had flown out to LA specially to play on the record for Axl. I've sat on whatever I have or know about these songs ever since that moment .... out of respect for Axl .... confidentiality is part of respect for me. So I will watch with interest. I like the track a lot and always did ... and it still sounds very fresh ... the thing that hits you first is that incredible, incredible voice ... we've been missing it for far too long. Axl is magic.

Love

Bri

© brianmay.com

Edited by llll

In my opinion....this is the best GNR solo ever!

You're entitled to your opinion. But.....

:laugh::laugh:

LA ( :laugh: )

well dude..... if your inside Slash ass all the time, you wouldn't know what a good solo is...cuse every other solo that has been done from some one ells beside Slash it sucks, right?

The mentality of Slash fans goes like this....

No body can play like Slash

on Buckethead: he has no feelings, he is a FREAK, there for he sucks!

on Brain May solo: No good, because Slash ain't playing in it!...if it was Slash...This solo would have been the greatest!

on new GNR songs:I like them, but I will never admit that on GNR forums. because Slash ain't playing on a BAND no more....there for the songs suck!

:lol::lol::lol:

this is by far the best GNR leak yet. And that is some accomplishment. I simply love the song. it is so powerfull and it kinda speaks to me in some ways.

The lyrics are awsome the music are as well done as the lyrics and Axl voice is top notch.

I will gladly put this song up on the top with estranged and the blues. Simply perfect.

If you dissagre with me. I have some balls that needs sucking ;)

Funeral, if you want to be taken as a serious member just stop dissin Slash in every post you make, we all have different opinions, if you think Buckethead kicks major slash ass well its your opinion and i guess nobody is gonna change it, why get mad an try to piss off every slash fan in the forum? and Moreblack, stop trying to piss him off, i find him really annoying but ignoring him is much more easy...As for the Cathcer in the Rye, i find its growing on me, the soloes are good, not the best though, but its a great song...If anyone has the lyrics, could you please send them to me? aswell as the kyrics to the other songs, thanks guys...

The song is about Lennon's killer (so i read on a forum). I wonder why. Axl wore a mansion shirt during the UYI tour. Maybe he has a thing for killers. Blind Melon have written the best song about a killer (Ed Gein) 'Skinned' from the 'Soup' album. Cacther in the Rye has similar sounds in it that Blind Melon used to use (oh). On the subject of songs about killers, Slayer have a good one too called 'Dead Skin Mask' also about Ed Gein, subject matter aside, it is a killer of a song :D

last time:...W. Axl Rose wore this t-shirt..2 say...."look assholes..guys like him are the evil...not me..."

Edited by sixtus

When i first heard it i didnt like it. but it was stuck in my head.

Now i love it, Brain May is a Fuckin God

I hope there aint anymore leaks,

I CANT WAIT FOR Chinese democracy

Edited by uzilover15

i love the song i think i heard it twice all the way though so far and i just think the album will be great axl was turelly the driving force behind that band and the new band seems to gel to geather much better, i.r.s was great ,better was amazing, t.w.a.t was fucking great and catcher in the rye is by far just as good as t.w.a.t.

I think it has the best sound of all the leaks so far.Still, my favourite it's TWAT. With a little more effort, this could be a masterpiece. Anyway, all songs are great and they're nothing less of what I've expected them to be. Good to see so many still love Guns! rock3

those leaks are not something i'm used to, but they really rock. citr have a nice mood reminds me of eagles,late led zep,elton john,queen something 70's, when axl was getting into rock music i believe.

with the final touches, all of those will be very very good songs, of course i wish izzy,slash,duff,steve were in but this is what we got, and this is good :).

Axl will save rock music once again.

I love the angel in which the song is written.

Think about it, a song about Mark David Chapman, the man who killed Lennon instead of a song about John Lennon, like people do all the time. It's interesting. Insane people make better subjects for lyrics than rock stars.

Idk what to think about that last verse.

It's so revrent, about a murderer.

Dont you love those songs with great lyrics, the kind that make you think--woah! this is far out shit!

parts of this song aren't to par with the end though. Some of it sounds like the bad UYI tracks.

but only a little.

This fucking song. I was like "what the hell is this?" the first few times, but now I can't get it out of my head. I want to listen to it over and over again. Any song that I like right away is just a flash in the pan, but the ones that are an aquired taste are usually the great ones that have real staying power.