"Catcher In The Rye" Discussion Thread

AnEskimo

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful piece of art.......Love everything about this song....the way Axl sings it, the solos in between, the piano and everything ells!......awesome!....and this is an old DEMO....I can only imagine how much this song has improved sense!

Am satisfied with all the new songs so far!

Edited by Funeral

Who plays the solo in this song?...it sound like Slash is doing it......then again, Slash wasn't round at that time! could this be...........Finck??

In my opinion....this is the best GNR solo ever!

I've heard people say Brian May, that's what I actually thought at first because it sounds so much like the Red Special. But, I'm gussing it either is May or Finck

- The start of the song reminds me on MOTLEY CRUE!!!Than the COMPLEX thing fits very NICE :) ("the na na na thing")

- Than on the 2.54 is so SIMILAR to VELVET REVOLVER'S FALLEN TO PIECES!!!

and I guess this is not the final mix...it's a nice song! :)

Good job mr. Axl rock3

on the 1st listen, TWAT, IRS, BETTER are better. Maybe in a weeks time, my mind will change. Catcher in the Rye is too slow for my liking, it reminds of the something the Beatles might do all be it heavier than the Beatles, and i've never really rated the Beatles all that much. I think i like OMG more than Catcher on the Rye, even the speed of Silk Worms puts Catcher in the Rye in the lowest position of all the CD stuff i have heard.

I must be one of the few that actually prefers Silk Worms to CITR!!

I've listened to it a good few times now and its just...... not my thing. Ok, its Axl and its GNR. But if I heard that tune on the radio and it was by Bon Jovi or Ozzy, etc 'd think it sucks. JMO.

However, I've got a feeling that this track was recorded some time ago, probably before the new band were completely assembled, so hopefully newer material has overtook it as far as appearing on CD is concerned...!

LA

I've listened to it a good few times now and its just...... not my thing. Ok, its Axl and its GNR. But if I heard that tune on the radio and it was by Bon Jovi or Ozzy, etc 'd think it sucks. JMO.

Look at it this way:

The song (as far as songs go) is pretty much perfect.

The name, content of it perfectly relates to the fact that it sounds like the Beatles - clever Axl.

As well as the fact that he got Brian May to perform on it takes it back to that whole English rock band time, which is also a cool conceptual approach from his side.

Sure, it ain't Buckethead and Fortus and Finck, and it's not shredding, but its a very good song....it stands out nicely against 'Better' yet compliments it at the same time.

Beautiful.

The official Queen site states that Brian recorded with GNR in 1998, see below link.

http://queen-fip.com/index2.php

I was under the impression that he was in the studio around 2000. Either way does this mean that this demo is from 1998/99?

Probably. I mean, in my opinion it sounds very lame and cheesy. I hope this track is totally redone by now or that it doesn´t appear at all on the Chinese Democracy album.

Edited by Lukin

The official Queen site states that Brian recorded with GNR in 1998, see below link.

http://queen-fip.com/index2.php

I was under the impression that he was in the studio around 2000. Either way does this mean that this demo is from 1998/99?

Probably. I mean, in my opinion it sounds very lame and cheesy. I hope this track is totally redone by now or that it doesn´t appear at all on the Chinese Democracy album.

I hope too, "My World" is much better.

Catcher in the Rye is excellent. I think however it is the worst sound quality out of all the ones we have. I also think towards the end Axl's voice sounds like it grows weaker. Also you can't really hear the guitar solos that well. Still I like the ''NaNaNaNa'' bit. That's hits home. :)

Catcher in the Rye is excellent. I think however it is the worst sound quality out of all the ones we have. I also think towards the end Axl's voice sounds like it grows weaker. Also you can't really hear the guitar solos that well. Still I like the ''NaNaNaNa'' bit. That's hits home. :)

YES! It hits a fucking home run!

I think it sounds like the song could have another 30 seconds+ to run when it fades out.

I like what Axl’s doing vocally at the end and it just cuts off. Hopefully that carries on for a bit longer in the final cut! :-)

Niveen – yeah wait til the final version before making up you mind, but it doesn’t mean we can’t discuss the demo…

LP

Huh?! Lame and cheesy?! Do you know what you're talking about....?

CITR is a mini masterpiece... give it some time, it'll grow on you and you'll see it in all its glory.

So true, i cant believe people dont like it cos its not a "rock" song, if you want some rock go and listen to all your motley crue albums and feel free to join us when you learn music isnt just about being badass and wearing make up, altho that may take some of you lot a while :rofl-lol:

Who plays the solo in this song?...it sound like Slash is doing it......then again, Slash wasn't round at that time! could this be...........Finck??

In my opinion....this is the best GNR solo ever!

I missed the solo, i heard nothing out of the ordinary. Must listen to Catcher again. What i did notice were some sounds like those on some BLind Melon tracks. Better too reminds if a little of Blind Melon. Maybe it's just me.

If Catcher in the Rye is played live, I guess atleast one of the other band members has learnt Brians parts. It also mean Brain May can jump on stage and join in if he happens to be around (possibly at some up and coming gigs)

Edited by dobadog

CITR is a mini masterpiece... give it some time, it'll grow on you and you'll see it in all its glory.

So true, i cant believe people dont like it cos its not a "rock" song, if you want some rock go and listen to all your motley crue albums and feel free to join us when you learn music isnt just about being badass and wearing make up, altho that may take some of you lot a while :rofl-lol:

It's very Use Your Illusion 2 don't you think? Which just happens to be my favourite Guns album so far...

Edited by Leigh-Rok!

It's not November Rain, that's for sure. It's more Queen than anything else, which isn't bad, but very different to the sounds we're used to hearing from GnR'. I'll be interested to hear what it sounds like on the album.

Edited by UseU'rIllusions