"Catcher In The Rye" Discussion Thread

AnEskimo

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catcher In The Rye is MY FAVOURITE OF ALL THE LEAKS! What a damn good catchy GN'R song!!!!

wow wow!!!

damn man, this song has Queen written all over it. brian may or not, this feels like a queen song

eww .. sorry man..but i don't hear any queen here maybe the guitar solo (brian may?)

Edited by pattonPwr

Yes it does skip, and yes it does sound like Queen. It could easily fit on A Day At The Races and those solos have to be Brian May. This song sounds very classic in the TWAT vein and is also a bit Paul McCartneyish ie latter day Beatles/Wings.

The thread on Catcher in the Rye amazes me. This is by far the best of the new songs I've heard. Its clearly a demo and some bits don't fit, but there is far much more to this song than the others.

Its also got some really classic GNR twists "Every time I see that it makes me wish I had a gun" and similar bits are brilliant.

This song could be amazing.

I'd say 50% of you lot need to go and find another band to be a fan of. GNR has clearly moved on past the limits of your class. Moronic comments like "Theres no rockers" when we've had IRS and Better just amaze me. What they hell do you people want? Thirteen versions of "Think about you"?

Why are all you people here? You clearly don't like the band or its music. If you are here to hear another version of an album they release in a drug fuelled haze in the 1980's you are not going to find it. If these demos are an indication of the direction the album headed in, sign me up. Most of you should have left with Matt Sorum .

fucking brilliant post. rock3

the haters need to pack up and go home.. this is a new era of GNR. Va Va Voom and the rest can go :fuckyou:

That last sentence is going to be my new sig! :shades:

Funeral,

Big ups for the lyrics post. After listening to this song with the lyrics, it's just that much more badass.

I really look forward to hearing a proplerly recorded version of this song - - just unbelievable. At this point I'd say it's one the best songs I've heard from Axl, but it might just be because it's new - we'll see what everyone thinks in a few weeks!

The thread on Catcher in the Rye amazes me. This is by far the best of the new songs I've heard. Its clearly a demo and some bits don't fit, but there is far much more to this song than the others.

Its also got some really classic GNR twists "Every time I see that it makes me wish I had a gun" and similar bits are brilliant.

This song could be amazing.

I'd say 50% of you lot need to go and find another band to be a fan of. GNR has clearly moved on past the limits of your class. Moronic comments like "Theres no rockers" when we've had IRS and Better just amaze me. What they hell do you people want? Thirteen versions of "Think about you"?

Why are all you people here? You clearly don't like the band or its music. If you are here to hear another version of an album they release in a drug fuelled haze in the 1980's you are not going to find it. If these demos are an indication of the direction the album headed in, sign me up. Most of you should have left with Matt Sorum .

fucking brilliant post. rock3

the haters need to pack up and go home.. this is a new era of GNR. Va Va Voom and the rest can go :fuckyou:

That last sentence is going to be my new sig! :shades:

i agree but why use think about you as an example? why not something more rockish lol good post

This is my favorite one so far. I agree that it shows that Axl has moved on. I think one of the problems with old bands putting out new music is that they always try to duplicate what they did before, and that's why they almost always fail. This is a new sound and it sounds great, and I think it will be very well received by the public.

This is my favorite one so far. I agree that it shows that Axl has moved on. I think one of the problems with old bands putting out new music is that they always try to duplicate what they did before, and that's why they almost always fail. This is a new sound and it sounds great, and I think it will be very well received by the public.

I don't think any of the new songs sound anything remotely drastic or different to the styles that were experimented on the Illusion records. There are a couple little bits that are different, but all these songs could of been on the Illusion records. None of this stuff is really 'that' different.

Oh My God and My World are probably the most drastic change in styles that Axl has recorded, and one of them is on the UYI records.

I don't think any of the new songs sound anything remotely drastic or different to the styles that were experimented on the Illusion records. There are a couple little bits that are different, but all these songs could of been on the Illusion records. None of this stuff is really 'that' different.

Oh My God and My World are probably the most drastic change in styles that Axl has recorded, and one of them is on the UYI records.

I suppose I was thinking more AFD when I was posting that. I would say the sound is different in that it has an industrial influence and the computer stuff I hear in CITR.

Also the lyrics seem to reflect on Axl's feelings and experiences as his life progresses, which is another way he has moved on. It's also one of the reasons I think he is a brilliant songwriter.