"Catcher In The Rye" Discussion Thread

AnEskimo

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... something about "Guns N Roses releases a pop record" makes me cringe. Not that I don't appreciate the new direction some of these songs are taking, but man... that sentence just doesn't sit right with me.

The thread on Catcher in the Rye amazes me. This is by far the best of the new songs I've heard. Its clearly a demo and some bits don't fit, but there is far much more to this song than the others.

Its also got some really classic GNR twists "Every time I see that it makes me wish I had a gun" and similar bits are brilliant.

This song could be amazing.

I'd say 50% of you lot need to go and find another band to be a fan of. GNR has clearly moved on past the limits of your class. Moronic comments like "Theres no rockers" when we've had IRS and Better just amaze me. What they hell do you people want? Thirteen versions of "Think about you"?

Why are all you people here? You clearly don't like the band or its music. If you are here to hear another version of an album they release in a drug fuelled haze in the 1980's you are not going to find it. If these demos are an indication of the direction the album headed in, sign me up. Most of you should have left with Matt Sorum .

Axl warned you...it was going to be 'different'...This will not be as heavy as past GNR records. Consider the days of Perfect Crime, Coma, Garden of Eden, etc., to be over....

Say hello to November Rain clones.

Yeah some guy pointed out that they were meant to be 'The Most Dangerous Band in the World'. Obviously you're not going to have that element of danger when you record songs with the world's lamest rock star Brian May and you are 44.

The song is excellent. I have loved all the new songs.

Axl warned you...it was going to be 'different'...This will not be as heavy as past GNR records. Consider the days of Perfect Crime, Coma, Garden of Eden, etc., to be over....

Say hello to November Rain clones.

:cry:

Not a whole album about how heart broken he was when Steph left!

Oh please, some songs have pop bits here and there but none of them are pop as in Jacko and Madonna way. Consider the track length too, it can be way different in the final cut, but even I.R.S that seems to be the most current "radio friendly" song doesn't fit well with what we've around in the mainstream atm.

I'm now sure that it will be a interesting album to hear. I mean, look at the music scenario and how we don't have queen and elton john influences anywhere in the mainstream. It's clear that Axl and co. aren't inventing a new music style, they're mixing up a lot of stuff and polishing it with rock and roll. I hope that the album don't fail at first and in two, three years or maybe more the world starts understand its real value when it was released.

For those noticing the "lack" of plain rockers. There's the other half of the album yet to hear and the possibility of songs named "prostitute", "general" that AFAIK (and i don't know too much it's true) aren't calm songs. :)

Closing, am i the only one with the better chorus on the head all the time? <_<

That stand alongside 'My World' as the worst track Guns have ever done.

Truly bloody awful.

'The Most Dangerous Band In The World'?

:angry: shut up

its really old school english rock, but its better than any other song that Queen or Beatles have ever made.

Generally i listen to everyone and try to understand all opinions (and not to condescend) but

you are still young

Edited by Mr Estranged

Yeah, some of the song titles just don't sound poppy at all. "Prostitute" and "The General" do not sound like songs that will have piano in them. That's just me, though. Trust me, we haven't heard anything off of this album yet.

Zeppelin didn't have any albums full of Stairway to Heavens....You had 4 Sticks, Black Dog, Levee etc...

Or Immigrant song, Livin Lovin Maid..Friends BYA-Stomp...just brilliant music..

The Beatles were just a Backstreet Boys of the 60s..I don't see why everyone likes them so much..they all were better when they went solo...esp. Lennon and Harrison.

The other half of the album contains The Blues, Madagascar and This I love...which are balladic or pop

Edited by zepsun

do you people even understand what great pop music is? :unsure:

by the sound of things you dont.

Id prefer a genius pop record like, pet sounds, rubbersoul and revolver anyday to a rubbish hard rock 80's rework.

I hope this album splits fans right in the middle.

The word "pop" has changed meanings through the years.

Most think of acts like nysync and Britney Spears.

anyone else love the poppy influece??, its great IMO, listening to catcher in the rye right now, and I can hear everything from the beach boys to robbie williams to oasis to the stereophonics, fuckin lovin it!!!!

"poppy influence"!!??? :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Hope not....

EDIT: The song seems more like Stones with a little mix of Queen...

Edited by Jmm

I like the new Guns N' Roses.Let's not say that the new version is better than the old one,at least not until we've heard the new album.Neither the old version nor the new one sucks.Sure feel free to like one of these two versions better but let's not make it sound as if one of them is the best and that the other one sucks.Like it or not Slash and the rest have made history in Guns N' Roses and their depature was indeed a sad thing but a new version of the band with new members and a new style is not bad if you ask me.Sure you can't replace songs like Welcome to the jungle or Don't cry but this doesn't mean they can't make other songs just as good or perhaps better.