"Catcher In The Rye" Discussion Thread

AnEskimo

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please think before requesting a link on the thread - I got my first warning today :huh:

I think we've been very clear with this. It's bad enough the tracks have leaked so please respect the wishes from Gnr management. I.e., do **NOT** post any Download Links, Requests, or Lyrics.

This song is AMAZING... if not better than November Rain.... certainly the best GN'R track SINCE November Rain IMHO. This song floored me. Congratulations Axl. There's nothing more to say...

madagascar and the blues were good aswsell

Hmm...I can see why some don't like it. After two good listens, I like it. Nothing fantastic, but nothing bad either. Definitely demo quality...similar to There Was a Time in quality. Axl's voice sounds shot, though. Really, really shot.

If ever laid down for final recording/mixing etc, they need to emphasize the push/pull of this track as well as certain layers at certain parts. The drumming is too looped, it holds tempo when the rest of the song switches up/down...and the drumming is overdone (ie too fast) at the start. In mixing, this push/pull can be alleviated by timing changes and layer emphasization. However, Axl definitely needs to sing this song on a good day, and some additional drumming is necessary to help with the push/pull factor so lacking in this song. Right now, the track just kinda keeps on going and doesn't allow itself to stop and pull the listeners in to hear the hooks (which are aplenty).

Great idea of channelling Beatles-style hooks...just a little more in the execution/vocal power/push-pull dept. (ie not much work if you actually get in the studio), and you've got a great album track.

Hmm...I can see why some don't like it. After two good listens, I like it. Nothing fantastic, but nothing bad either. Definitely demo quality...similar to There Was a Time in quality. Axl's voice sounds shot, though. Really, really shot.

If ever laid down for final recording/mixing etc, they need to emphasize the push/pull of this track as well as certain layers at certain parts. The drumming is too looped, it holds tempo when the rest of the song switches up/down...and the drumming is overdone (ie too fast) at the start. In mixing, this push/pull can be alleviated by timing changes and layer emphasization. However, Axl definitely needs to sing this song on a good day, and some additional drumming is necessary to help with the push/pull factor so lacking in this song. Right now, the track just kinda keeps on going and doesn't allow itself to stop and pull the listeners in to hear the hooks (which are aplenty).

Great idea of channelling Beatles-style hooks...just a little more in the execution/vocal power/push-pull dept. (ie not much work if you actually get in the studio), and you've got a great album track.

Eye Eye Captain! - LMAO! - :lol:

My first reaction is "this is Guns N' Roses" ... It isn't November Rain or Estranged, but in it's own right it's a very catchy track ...

It reminds me of an updated Beatles track with a little Queen mixed in and you guys might think I'm nuts, but the keyboard parts in the background remind me of the Who for some reason ...

The arrangement is far from your standard rock tune I'll say that .. and the blending of the verse and chorus is pretty different ... i really dig it ...

The chorus is like a funky, jazzy beat ... I'll reserve final judgement for the studio track, but I'm impressed at the scope of the arrangement, outside of maybe Paul McCartney, not that many people can even REMOTEDLY come up with this stuff ...

I sing in a GNR band, and all I know is I got some work ahead of me on this .. Though, we got TWAT and Better down, and yes, I have someone who can shred that stuff :)

peace out

I'm sorry but this track is rubbish. Its a big mess, and I understand the mixing isnt good because its a demo. I cant quite catch the feel of the song, I miss the whole point in it. Its a very bad song, IMO. Compared to the other 3 it doesnt stand a single chance. I hope the album version will be atleast somewhat good.

After checking the lyrics a bit closer, I just realised that lyricaly this is VERY good song as well. I think it really hits the spot on the myth around this book. Excelent!

Is this leaked version a demo? Or the studio version? I think it will sound better on the album.

im thinkin a demo sound seems to be all over the place but its taking me a few listens to get into it but its not anywere near as good november rain or estranged as much as i want it to be its not its a good song and im sure the version thats on the finished product if its on the finished album will probably sound alot better