Chinese Democracy - radio friendly unit shifter?

Original Gunner

Thinking about the Chinese Democracy record IF it gets released this year... here are my predictions rock1

Initially, upon it's release Chinese Democracy will go straight to number one in America on hype and curiosity alone... and then drop like a stone. This is a common occurence with established rock bands such as Pantera, Aerosmith and Metallica. I cannot see an AFD type thing where it takes a year to break and then keep selling b/c the fanbase is already established, although much diminished over the past decade. One or two hit singles might give it some legs, but the press will be all over the record unless it's an absolute masterpiece, which we all know it won't be, and this will impact on sales. Not too mention a lot of u fuckers will probably download it illegally online anyway b/c that's the 'cool thing' to do. :rofl-lol:

I predict the final sales figures after a year will max at about 2 million, maybe 3 if it gets decent reviews/airplay/word of mouth. Not bad you might say. BUT considering the UYI albums did 6 million each in 1995 (currently 9 million plus now each) and AFD did 6 million in 1988 (currently 16 million plus now) this will not be classed as a successful comeback. Which means BRING back the original members motherfuckers! rock1

"I'm a westcoast struttin' one bad mother got a rattlesnake suitcase under my arm" rock3

DISCUSS................. :P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well some intereseting points here and there but I agree with username, bringing back the old guys is not an option just now so let that go. We can wait and see how it does. Some people say GN'R is not the same without Slash, whilst that is true to a degree it's the voice of Axl Rose which is of great significance in the band and he alone is now the reason why the album will be a success. Just some thoughts...

You started off a pretty good post. Not that I agreed, but still. To bad you ruined it with the pointless whining in the end about bring back the old guys and whatever. Very pointless. It's time you start accepting reality as it is. Also, it would be incredibly dumb to expect succes that equals UYI. Thet's putting the bar up way too high. Different circumstances in both the music scene and the band. So the entire comparisment is a flaud.

I was gonna reply by sayin pretty much exactly that. Great minds think alike.

Grimo.

You just lost you job or somethin pal, youve been on here wat 2 days and cant seem to stop posting negative threads. If you dont like the new line up etc, why bother coming to this board? If you only interest is to rip the piss out of the new band and say how the album is gunna be shite etc then why u here?????

Please dont insult us by believing that we think the new band rocks the socks off the old one, it doesnt and most people dont think that. Chinese democracy probably wont be a anything like afd, different era and circumstances completely. It wont sell like afd either. It will not be a special amazing album in the music worlds eyes im sure. But the people on here are massive axl rose fans and am sure cant wait to here what new music the guys releasing. You never no, it just mite be special. (itl certainly piss all over the boring crap that velevet revolver put on their last album.)

AXL is a creative music legend, i cant fuckin wait to see what the guys put on this album. As cant most people on this board.

Reunion = not happening!!!!!!!!!!!! (everyone on here that is sane can see this is a fact, at least in the close future)

Thanks for your opinion and all dude but it's a load of crap and most people on this forum accepted years ago there's no chance of a reunion so go to hell.

Also IMO CD will be fucking great it will sell a shit load of copies and will be a genuine masterpiece and sell a fair few singles too it will be a great comeback (i hope) :)

It will sell well if promoted at all. There is enough of a current fanbase and curiosity around this CD to make sure it gets big numbers. I think it may not get the kind of respect other albums got because the press are going to have a field day saying how the nusic was not worth waiting ten years for.

While many facotrs came into the length of time it's taken to put together, in the end, when Axl releases an album shouldn't have much to do with if it's good or not. The anticipation though, has set the bar too high for anyone to reach and the media will play on that I think. From what I've heard, I think the CD will be fantastic.

I think this album will easily break 15 million sales. The legacy of the name Guns N' Roses has branched out into all aspects of music, in that no matter what genre one listener is into, they have surely heard a track or two from the band. I think a majority of non hard-rock fans will be tempted to buy and listen to the album, should it be released, and i feel that the 10 year itch will help it to easily break that 10 million mark. There's too much hype and anticipation surrounding this album to fail on sales alone. The songs could be utter shit, but it won't matter, because many will buy it simply for the novelty of owning it.

Quick question that's kind of on topic. Are record companies still blaming internet file sharing for poor record sales??

Well the huge albums arent selling as much but smaller bands are getting more of a look in now. In the UK sales have increased a fair bit with the advent of filesharing.

AXL the gentleman rocker evidently has made an album aimed at the kiddies...........and it will appeal to the younger crowd with all the electronica, gizmos and the mike filters on his vocals. Axl has left the sunset stip....kinda like Elvis has left the building.

I predict it will sell well and that given some promotion will be something to look forward to in the fall.

The new band puts on a hell of a show..I'll give them that. Aside from Bucketheads freak show the concert had tonz of specticle to be amazed and amused by. I was utterly impressed by the nuGNR in concert even though songs like Chinese Democracy and Rhiad and the Bedoiuns, silkworms seem so completely contrived and out of place with a band playing under the banner of Guns and Roses.

While I'm not part of the crowd thats coming apart at the seams over these new songs and even don't mind stating that theres a mild disappointment in the "new sound" given the rumours and speculation about how much time, money and effort has been supposedly dropped on them, these are demos after all and no one knows the date when these things were recorded. No oneknows what the final product will sound like. I don't think Axl would fight to keep Guns and Roses alive only to alienate the long term fans by selling out the trademark GNR sound and.........wait hold that thought.....Jury is still out.

This ain't your fathers GNR. And thats O.K. 1986 was 20 years ago....

Thinking about the Chinese Democracy record IF it gets released this year... here are my predictions rock1

Initially, upon it's release Chinese Democracy will go straight to number one in America on hype and curiosity alone... and then drop like a stone. This is a common occurence with established rock bands such as Pantera, Aerosmith and Metallica. I cannot see an AFD type thing where it takes a year to break and then keep selling b/c the fanbase is already established, although much diminished over the past decade. One or two hit singles might give it some legs, but the press will be all over the record unless it's an absolute masterpiece, which we all know it won't be, and this will impact on sales. Not too mention a lot of u fuckers will probably download it illegally online anyway b/c that's the 'cool thing' to do. :rofl-lol:

I predict the final sales figures after a year will max at about 2 million, maybe 3 if it gets decent reviews/airplay/word of mouth. Not bad you might say. BUT considering the UYI albums did 6 million each in 1995 (currently 9 million plus now each) and AFD did 6 million in 1988 (currently 16 million plus now) this will not be classed as a successful comeback. Which means BRING back the original members motherfuckers! rock1

"I'm a westcoast struttin' one bad mother got a rattlesnake suitcase under my arm" rock3

"Otherwise, you'll be sitting in your trailer park at 35 thinking about the girl you lost at 25 saying 'now where did I go wrong?'" - W. Axl Rose, 07.22.92

That's you, bud. Come join is in the now.

AXL the gentleman rocker evidently has made an album aimed at the kiddies...........and it will appeal to the younger crowd with all the electronica, gizmos and the mike filters on his vocals. Axl has left the sunset stip....kinda like Elvis has left the building.

I predict it will sell well and that given some promotion will be something to look forward to in the fall.

The new band puts on a hell of a show..I'll give them that. Aside from Bucketheads freak show the concert had tonz of specticle to be amazed and amused by. I was utterly impressed by the nuGNR in concert even though songs like Chinese Democracy and Rhiad and the Bedoiuns, silkworms seem so completely contrived and out of place with a band playing under the banner of Guns and Roses.

While I'm not part of the crowd thats coming apart at the seams over these new songs and even don't mind stating that theres a mild disappointment in the "new sound" given the rumours and speculation about how much time, money and effort has been supposedly dropped on them, these are demos after all and no one knows the date when these things were recorded. No oneknows what the final product will sound like. I don't think Axl would fight to keep Guns and Roses alive only to alienate the long term fans by selling out the trademark GNR sound and.........wait hold that thought.....Jury is still out.

This ain't your fathers GNR. And thats O.K. 1986 was 20 years ago....

that's got to be one of the most retarded posts i have seen! "for the kiddies"?? if anything, axl's music has matured and now appeals to a wider audience. "your fathers gnr"? please, i listened to these guys at 7 years old, im 22 now and still a huge fan. if you're disappointed in the new music then you are not in the majority, which kind of sucks for you, seeing as you have waited this long for another AFD for your closed mind. that's all i have to say, good bye.

over all, I think over 10 million sold. The first year, about 5-6 million sold...then, if Axl releases an album a year for the next two or three years (as rumoured), this will only help sales of the first album, plus if he can keep touring for a few years, this will fuel sales....all die-hard fans will buy this album, and if it's a great album (which I think that it will be), the album will sell. This album will sell over a million it's first week, as there are well over a million die-hard GNR Fans...

I think this album will easily break 15 million sales. The legacy of the name Guns N' Roses has branched out into all aspects of music, in that no matter what genre one listener is into, they have surely heard a track or two from the band. I think a majority of non hard-rock fans will be tempted to buy and listen to the album, should it be released, and i feel that the 10 year itch will help it to easily break that 10 million mark. There's too much hype and anticipation surrounding this album to fail on sales alone. The songs could be utter shit, but it won't matter, because many will buy it simply for the novelty of owning it.

15 MILLION???? are you fucking nuts Tojo. You've been drinking too much saki pal! :rofl-lol: It took AFD 15 plus years to sell that, in an age before internet piracy when G 'n' R and rock was king in America (rap is the biggest selling genre now). Besides why the hell would a 'non-rock' fan buy a 'rock' album, especially one fronted by the most controversial rock vocalist of all-time. Middle America is quite happy with Coldplay as its rock act figure-head thanks all the same! Anyway, thanks for proving what we already knew -Japan is full of weird little prople that all look the same and have no concept of reality outside of the Tokyo vending machines that sell used shoolgirls panties (and i shit you not, it's true!) :P

Some decent points really, and more than likely somewhat accurate. Although, rock press will have little to do with it; very, very, very few people actually consider what the press says regarding an album as a concern for purchase. Only 2-4% of people actually give a shit about rock "critics", or shall I say out of work no-talent musicians. A "critics" job is to criticize. Feck them...it is very easy to tear down the work of others. I never care what critics say because I have a brain and know what I like and don't like, and frankly it is usually some self-important, psuedo-intellectual ramblings from a guy that makes 10.00 an hour working as an assistant manager at Tower records. Axl put himself behind a rock and a hard place with the length of time for release so the average review will no doubt be tainted by the "mythical" status of the record. Although, SMiLE recieved mostly great reviews upon release...Axl does not have a great relationship with the press. Sanctuary has deep pockets and they spend millions on advertising in major music mags so the overall reviews in the majors will be positive.

"Otherwise, you'll be sitting in your trailer park at 35 thinking about the girl you lost at 25 saying 'now where did I go wrong?'" - W. Axl Rose, 07.22.92

At least DX is thinking properly. Thanks Original Gunner for your attempt at trying to figure out the sales of an album. However you missed one thing: You have no fucking clue. Comparing it to the sales of any other album on this planet is not an option. Your whole opinion is retarded and backwards. You say that the new album, if released, will not sell like the old albums, yet you want the old members to come back. Another retard who believes that image makes music/sales of music. Sorry, but if Axl's new music is something people really want to listen to, then that is what will sell it. If Axl and Slash put out a shitty ass record, it wouldn't sell as well because even though the image is there, the music sucks. Yeah, I know what you're saying, "How could Axl and Slash and other original members put out a crappy album? I love them soo much, and I love kissing their badasses." Well, it could happen.

Bringing original members back wouldn't change the album, so the music would stay the same. You think the original guys will come back and Axl would scrap this album completely to go on another 80s trip? You need to wake up and smell modern times pal. This isn't fucking 1987. Get off of it already, because you obviously have no clue of what the music industry is about. Maybe you should discuss something worthwhile, instead of vomiting this trash over and over.

Axl put himself behind a rock and a hard place with the length of time for release so the average review will no doubt be tainted by the "mythical" status of the record. Although, SMiLE recieved mostly great reviews upon release..

It's kind of funny how Brian Wilson releases a long-awaited album as a solo project and it's critically acclaimed as a 'masterpiece', whereas Mike Love keeps going with the Beach Boys name and a bunch of new guys and is seen pretty much as a novelty act. Axl, are you taking notes here.

Just kidding. Release Chinese Democracy as a GNR album, a solo album, or whatever. Just release it soon Axl!!!!!!!!

Isn't it kind of ironic that Axl made a comment like that? :unsure: