Chinese Democracy - radio friendly unit shifter?

Original Gunner

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are far too many variables to take into account in regards to potential album sales. obviously it will not outsell that pop crap, since it is marketed to kids 8 and up. Rap and R&B has been doing rather too well in recent years, considering how most of it is total crap and repetative. But that is just the foils of reverse discrimination. As for Aerosmith, they will sell their names to anyone for any reason. Their music is the most contrived crap I have heard. Everything after GET A GRIP is just trife and corny rederick. Chi Dem will sell at a medium rate, in my opinion. I think within three years of it's release it will do over 5 million. But there is no way to know, and there is no one who can quantify these variables. Most of this stuff relating to new GNR is unprecedented. So we have no way to gauge the true reaction of people and their desirability for the new album. It is not "trendy" to listen to rock music. Every time one of these rappers (and yes I do listen to old school rap) put's out one of these terrible albums. You know, the ones that have like two decent beats that stay in melody, followed by 13-16 tracks of filler crap. Every idiot in the ghetto and every "thug" and every wanna be thug, and every white kid who is afraid to be himself in a school where rap is in their faces because of reverse discrimination, will go out and by all these albums. It does not matter how bad they are, they always need to get this stuff. I excpect more from the music I listen to. You can say what you want about the value of the GNR namesake and of Axl intentions, but the bottom line is, Axl is still making really cool music. There just is nothing else like it. And ofcourse I would never be friends with anyone like Axl and his leppers, but I would buy their music.

Edited by smokingarthur

"Otherwise, you'll be sitting in your trailer park at 35 thinking about the girl you lost at 25 saying 'now where did I go wrong?'" - W. Axl Rose, 07.22.92

That's you, bud. Come join is in the now.

Isn't it kind of ironic that Axl made a comment like that? :unsure:

Totally. :lol:

If I were Stephanie, I'd have a restrianing order and a half.

i think no matter if this album will be great or not (it will be), i think it will easily go over 10 million sales.

i mean look, 8 million people attended the UYI world tour, and almost everybody from those people will by it! my sister attended two shows back than and she is totally out of gnr now, but she called me and asked me about cd, that she has heard rumors and so on, and what`s going on, and if we go to a show together.

so i think a lot of people will react the same way, by it cause they were there and liked it back than.

and don`t forget the "new" fans. i have a lot of players in my team i am coaching, and i played better for warm up, and these guys are all into hip hop. and a lot of them and people who were watching came over, never heard of gnr and were like "wow, that sounds great, who is it, nice voice ect....."....so o guess with the right promotion, a good summer festival tour with the band doning well shows, this album will sale a lot of copies.... .

and if it is really a masterpiece, or close to it......it will outsell pop and hip hop music by far.....

just my thoughts :krider:

You started off a pretty good post. Not that I agreed, but still. To bad you ruined it with the pointless whining in the end about bring back the old guys and whatever. Very pointless. It's time you start accepting reality as it is. Also, it would be incredibly dumb to expect succes that equals UYI. Thet's putting the bar up way too high. Different circumstances in both the music scene and the band. So the entire comparisment is a flaud.

Thank U.

I dont think that AFD would even sell a third of what it did back then if it was released today.

U cant compare it that way.

AXL the gentleman rocker evidently has made an album aimed at the kiddies...........and it will appeal to the younger crowd with all the electronica, gizmos and the mike filters on his vocals. Axl has left the sunset stip....kinda like Elvis has left the building.

I predict it will sell well and that given some promotion will be something to look forward to in the fall.

The new band puts on a hell of a show..I'll give them that. Aside from Bucketheads freak show the concert had tonz of specticle to be amazed and amused by. I was utterly impressed by the nuGNR in concert even though songs like Chinese Democracy and Rhiad and the Bedoiuns, silkworms seem so completely contrived and out of place with a band playing under the banner of Guns and Roses.

While I'm not part of the crowd thats coming apart at the seams over these new songs and even don't mind stating that theres a mild disappointment in the "new sound" given the rumours and speculation about how much time, money and effort has been supposedly dropped on them, these are demos after all and no one knows the date when these things were recorded. No oneknows what the final product will sound like. I don't think Axl would fight to keep Guns and Roses alive only to alienate the long term fans by selling out the trademark GNR sound and.........wait hold that thought.....Jury is still out.

This ain't your fathers GNR. And thats O.K. 1986 was 20 years ago....

gnrgrl was right.

Mike filters? Gizmos? Electronca? Are U talking about electric guitar or what? :drevil:

U based that on what??

My opinion?

It will be Metallicas St. Anger. Will get people pumped like motherfuckers, will have all kinds of hype behind it, the first single will get heavy rotation, as will the second, but as people realize IT'S NOT THE SAME ANYMORE everything will horribly drop and they will go back to playing the "old" GN'R songs, all the while talking how CD was "not what was expected" and that hopefully (within the next millenium) they will be able to release and album that will cover up their shoddy work on this album.

Thats pretty much what happened around here with Metallicas St. Anger album, and everyone was all hyped about the Judas Priest reunion and Revolution and Worth Fighting For got huge rotation...until now, that is, their back to all the old songs...You've Got Another Thing Comin', Head Out To The Highway, etc.

Now, while that isn't HOW I THINK, or HOW THE REST OF US THINK, this will probally be the scenario, so don't jump on me and piss and moan that im not a fan, i am, i'm just basing this on past experience

1)why did you put the Nirvana song in the title???

Because it's a cool ass title and it relates to what the music biz will hope it gets from Axl's puppets so it's easier for them to promote and sell. Welcome to the Jungle baby...

2)stop living in the past, the old members quit the band and aren't coming back.

There are plenty of examples of bands who had bigger fallings out than G'n'R who still got back together. Example:- I noticed the Cult are currently touring again, and Billy Duffy and Ian Astbury actually had a fist fight on stage years back that signalled the end of the band. Now they are back on the road!

There's more likelyhood of the new band failing or imploding than the original Gunners not getting it back together at some point in time. Stranger things have happened. In the end the fans usually get what they want and any one who desn't want the original band over this new lot is NOT a true guns 'n' roses fan. :fuckyou:

Because it's a cool ass title and it relates to what the music biz will hope it gets from Axl's puppets so it's easier for them to promote and sell. Welcome to the Jungle baby...

2)stop living in the past, the old members quit the band and aren't coming back.

There are plenty of examples of bands who had bigger fallings out than G'n'R who still got back together. Example:- I noticed the Cult are currently touring again, and Billy Duffy and Ian Astbury actually had a fist fight on stage years back that signalled the end of the band. Now they are back on the road!

There's more likelyhood of the new band failing or imploding than the original Gunners not getting it back together at some point in time. Stranger things have happened. In the end the fans usually get what they want and any one who desn't want the original band over this new lot is NOT a true guns 'n' roses fan. :fuckyou:

Listen, you don't get to dictate who may or may not be a "true" Guns N' Roses fan. You just don't. Are you some kind of music police who will arrest people if they like one more than the other? We have to like things because you choose to like them that way? That's pathetic and sad. You don't choose for anybody. Do you even understand that people have tastes of their own? No, you don't. Get a clue. :rolleyes:

The Cult and GN'R, if you may have realized, aren't the same bands. Plenty of bands can get back together after a few tiffs, but GN'R are still having legal issues to this day, with another thing called Velvet Revolver getting in the way aswell. Moreover, I don't remember The Cult being the biggest band in the world at one point. This isn't a perfect world, and it certainly isn't fair, but if you really can't get past the fact that the band members have moved on, and have to tell others which band they prefer, then you have some issues you need to get settled.

Listen, you don't get to dictate who may or may not be a "true" Guns N' Roses fan.

Exactly, because if that were true, I would dictate OG as not being a "true" GnR fan, seeing how he doesn't like this version of Guns N' Roses.

Thinking about the Chinese Democracy record IF it gets released this year... here are my predictions rock1

Initially, upon it's release Chinese Democracy will go straight to number one in America on hype and curiosity alone... and then drop like a stone. This is a common occurence with established rock bands such as Pantera, Aerosmith and Metallica. I cannot see an AFD type thing where it takes a year to break and then keep selling b/c the fanbase is already established, although much diminished over the past decade. One or two hit singles might give it some legs, but the press will be all over the record unless it's an absolute masterpiece, which we all know it won't be, and this will impact on sales. Not too mention a lot of u fuckers will probably download it illegally online anyway b/c that's the 'cool thing' to do. :rofl-lol:

I predict the final sales figures after a year will max at about 2 million, maybe 3 if it gets decent reviews/airplay/word of mouth. Not bad you might say. BUT considering the UYI albums did 6 million each in 1995 (currently 9 million plus now each) and AFD did 6 million in 1988 (currently 16 million plus now) this will not be classed as a successful comeback. Which means BRING back the original members motherfuckers! rock1

"I'm a westcoast struttin' one bad mother got a rattlesnake suitcase under my arm" rock3

DISCUSS................. :P

you are a fucking fraud. <_<

Exactly, because if that were true, I would dictate OG as not being a "true" GnR fan, seeing how he doesn't like this version of Guns N' Roses.

Bingo. This is 2006, "OG" is only into the old lineup, which ended over 10 years ago, and is not coming back. He/She/It is a fan of the old band, not Guns N' Roses.

i think original_gunner needs blocked. or at least given a lecture. quit wasteing your time and ours with the same thing over and over again. CD will suck. Axl isnt as good without the original members. well what if your right? if your right when it comes out we will all give you a happy little dance around abonfire singing "original gunner was right! le'ts buttfuck him all night!" (srry bout that) anyway noone cares and is it that important to be right? god i hate ppl like this on the forum... :fuckyou:

i think original_gunner needs blocked. or at least given a lecture. quit wasteing your time and ours with the same thing over and over again. CD will suck. Axl isnt as good without the original members. well what if your right? if your right when it comes out we will all give you a happy little dance around abonfire singing "original gunner was right! le'ts buttfuck him all night!" (srry bout that) anyway noone cares and is it that important to be right? god i hate ppl like this on the forum... :fuckyou:

i second that. He has no reason to be here, as the only band he cares about won't have any news happening anytime soon, or ever.

Thinking about the Chinese Democracy record IF it gets released this year... here are my predictions rock1

Initially, upon it's release Chinese Democracy will go straight to number one in America on hype and curiosity alone... and then drop like a stone. This is a common occurence with established rock bands such as Pantera, Aerosmith and Metallica. I cannot see an AFD type thing where it takes a year to break and then keep selling b/c the fanbase is already established, although much diminished over the past decade. One or two hit singles might give it some legs, but the press will be all over the record unless it's an absolute masterpiece, which we all know it won't be, and this will impact on sales. Not too mention a lot of u fuckers will probably download it illegally online anyway b/c that's the 'cool thing' to do. :rofl-lol:

I predict the final sales figures after a year will max at about 2 million, maybe 3 if it gets decent reviews/airplay/word of mouth. Not bad you might say. BUT considering the UYI albums did 6 million each in 1995 (currently 9 million plus now each) and AFD did 6 million in 1988 (currently 16 million plus now) this will not be classed as a successful comeback. Which means BRING back the original members motherfuckers! rock1

"I'm a westcoast struttin' one bad mother got a rattlesnake suitcase under my arm" rock3

You can't compare record sales now to record sales when the UYI's came out.

I don't really care if it sells.

I love the old band, but I want to see how the new band does.

All the new demos are good to great. I can't imagine that the album will be anything but great musically.

Listen, you don't get to dictate who may or may not be a "true" Guns N' Roses fan. Blah Blah Blah...

LMAO this kids a hoot! - I'm not dictating anything, try cleaning the shit from your eyes, reading the post again and figuring out the difference between dictating as in 'YOU WILL' and opiniating, as i have clearly done for all those with a brain to see. :fuckyou:

Plenty of bands can get back together after a few tiffs, but GN'R are still having legal issues to this day.

So did Pink Floyd and Roger Waters yet oh look, they got resolved - he rejoined for Live 8 as did Motley Crue and Vince Neil but oh look - they are back on the road! Problems get resolved, bands reform and it's business as usual! Keep trying though sucker, you're too funny. :rofl-lol:

... but if you really can't get past the fact that the band members have moved on
You need to wake up and smell modern times pal. This isn't fucking 1987.

Funny how he keeps spouting off about 'modern times' and 'moving on' when he calls himself Zeppelin - A band that split. what. 30 years ago... :rofl-lol:

Get off of it already, because you obviously have no clue of what the music industry is about.

HaHa - if only you knew how much i know about the music industry pal! However, it's not about me, even though you seem to be up MY ASS like Axl says Slash is I won't get personal :rofl-lol:. Frankly, I'm not interested in the INDUSTRY b/c as any musician will tell you, (when you go looking for their autographs in your case), the 'industry' sucks. As an artist, it's about making great music, something that the original Gunners know all about, and something the stand-ins are yet to prove. How's that for an OPINION. :laugh:

man,your vibe near the end sucks

first of all,quiet riot's CRITICAL CONDITION sold 3 million,if cc and sell that miuch,than cd will sell 5 million easily

was this tirle supposed to have anything to do with the nirvana song?or is this another one of his pointless as fuck threads?

and you kinda kill yourself neear the end quting nightrain when the new gnr did it better

Edited by Bucketslash

I think the album will sell more than UYI. Three discs coming out seperately will just get more people into it. GNR is big world wide. South America is crazy about GNR, maybe some fans are jaded in the US and it's cool to bag on Axl but the industry has his back there arent many musicians who are out to get him. The press doesnt mean shit to GNR. Only one magazine ever gave them a good review really. But the people love GNR and Axl. I think GNR has always had a big appetite for touring and once they get on one of these huge 4 year world tours GNR will be right back in peoples faces and the albums will be flying off the sheves all over the world. My ill informed prediction? 50 million world wide after 5 years.

I think people are making predictions on the situation as it is now. And people have done that in the past. You havent seen Axl out or in the news so CD will bomb etc. But if you cast your mind into the future and considering what could happen. With say 2 new records out and say they are playing huge stadiums in South America and there are the possibility of videos and No. 1 singles and then what happens if Axl starts dating someone in the public eye who is big - I'm not sayin he would do this but if that happened the press jumps on it. Not to mention that really the rock world and even the music world is short of a rock star or two. Hell Axl is like a walking legend. He's America's Lennon. People talk about how good AFD was and how it chnaged music. Well think if Cobain came back from the dead and made a triple album? Well, that's what Axl is doing. And in terms of rock history Axl is getting way up there with rock classics like Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. To have this CD occupy such a mythic place in rock history sells records. You'll be reading stuff about the making of CD til you die. Only that many bands are in that position.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Not too mention a lot of u fuckers will probably download it illegally online anyway b/c that's the 'cool thing' to do. :rofl-lol:

More like, free. :huh: