Finck - Love him or Hate him?

W. Axl Kev

He is ok at playing guitar but I don't like him on background vocals coz his voice sucks. All he do is just shout, NOT sing. I think Tommy and Dizzy may sound better.

his background vox rock on nightrain rock3

Yes, Robin is a great guitarist, and he has a great vibe on stage. He's perfect for the band.

AD... usually, I'm pretty with you on supporting the new band... but I'm not with you on the vocals. He needs like, 2 or three basic singing lessons, and needs to learn to carry a note. Until then, Tommy can sing.

I agree Tommy is a better background singer, hell Tommy is a really good lead singer. But Robin's voice works for a few of the songs. Chinese D.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he did make mistakes though because he closed his eyes when he was playing :laugh:

Finck often closes his eyes when on stage. He has quite a different style to other guitarists, stance wise. He feels the music, notice when he shakes his head, etc. He's always been like that.

On the topic though, Robin is a great guitarist. Slahs fits in the band more than Robin IMO, but Robin is great fort he band atm.

I think he did make mistakes though because he closed his eyes when he was playing :laugh:

Finck often closes his eyes when on stage. He has quite a different style to other guitarists, stance wise. He feels the music, notice when he shakes his head, etc. He's always been like that.

On the topic though, Robin is a great guitarist. Slahs fits in the band more than Robin IMO, but Robin is great fort he band atm.

I think if you are talking about all of the old members, then yes Slash fits more. But the lineup as we last saw it, Robin fits it better with Tommy and Brain and them, IMO.

He is ok at playing guitar but I don't like him on background vocals coz his voice sucks. All he do is just shout, NOT sing. I think Tommy and Dizzy may sound better.

his background vox rock on nightrain rock3

Yes, Robin is a great guitarist, and he has a great vibe on stage. He's perfect for the band.

FUCK YEA HE DOES!!!!! rock2 rock3

Sand what do you mean backing vocals on 'Better'? I didn't know there was any :unsure:

'Now I know you better' that bit, there's deffo some Robin in there.

I would listen to it the now, but of course I vowed not to listen to the leaks again until we recieve an official statement - I give myself until saturday :laugh:

Sand what do you mean backing vocals on 'Better'? I didn't know there was any :unsure:

'Now I know you better' that bit, there's deffo some Robin in there.

I would listen to it the now, but of course I vowed not to listen to the leaks again until we recieve an official statement - I give myself until saturday :laugh:

On a second listen, I don't think it is him. It's definately what Finck WILL sing provided they play it on Tour.

One of the greatest appeals of Guns N' Roses was the stage presence between Axl and Slash. It's difficult to believe that Robin Finck is the man destined to fill that void..

Disregard technical ability for a moment. When you watch a show from the 2002 tour, does Finck honestly stand out and seem relevant? Quite frankly, I haven't seen a single performance where he defined what it was to be the guitarist of Guns N' Roses.

Chalk it up to nerves, or not being familiar with the material.. I could care less. He's a professional guitarist.. this isn't a garage band.

Personally, I don't see anything that makes him special. From his stage presence, to his technical abilities.. he's proven himself to be a basic standard performer. I'm willing to bet there are 10,000 other guitarists in California alone that are superior to Finck in both departments.

By no means is he the worst guitarist of all time.. but, he's treading on thin water by assuming he is capable of leading the string arrangements in this band.

Although, a controversial addition.. Buckethead added an interesting element to the project. As a guitarist, he enhanced the experimental sounds that we were lead to believe was incorporated into the music.

Read every review from the 2002 tour. Who is the man that gets all of the praise? It definitely wasn't Axl Rose..

The real question you should be asking yourselves is.. is Finck good enough?

We'll see..

-Kickingthehabit

One of the greatest appeals of Guns N' Roses was the stage presence between Axl and Slash. It's difficult to believe that Robin Finck is the man destined to fill that void..

Disregard technical ability for a moment. When you watch a show from the 2002 tour, does Finck honestly stand out and seem relevant? Quite frankly, I haven't seen a single performance where he defined what it was to be the guitarist of Guns N' Roses.

Chalk it up to nerves, or not being familiar with the material.. I could care less. He's a professional guitarist.. this isn't a garage band.

Personally, I don't see anything that makes him special. From his stage presence, to his technical abilities.. he's proven himself to be a basic standard performer. I'm willing to bet there are 10,000 other guitarists in California alone that are superior to Finck in both departments.

By no means is he the worst guitarist of all time.. but, he's treading on thin water by assuming he is capable of leading the string arrangements in this band.

Although, a controversial addition.. Buckethead added an interesting element to the project. As a guitarist, he enhanced the experimental sounds that we were lead to believe was incorporated into the music.

Read every review from the 2002 tour. Who is the man that gets all of the praise? It definitely wasn't Axl Rose..

The real question you should be asking yourselves is.. is Finck good enough?

We'll see..

-Kickingthehabit

Good post, my sentiments exactly

Robin's cool. I just don't like the way he dresses. If he didn't wear makeup and wore NORMAL clothes, I'd like him alot better.

He's an awesome guitarist, though. No denying that.

Edited by Moop

Never liked NIN, have none of their records, never went to a show.

His GNR work has not been released or may not even exist.

The New GNR concert I had tix for was cancelled (Dallas - 12/22/02) so no Finck there either.

The answer is neither. Captain Kangaroo could be the GNR guitarist, and up to this point it wouldn't be a difference to me.

Edited by JEEP11

Capable enough....to bad he looks like a fucken joke in his stage get up. Same with Buckethead.

A+ top notch hired gun and certainly ambitious in trying to fit into Slashes shoes as A lead guitarist for GNR. fink must be crazy enough to gamble his career on GNR& Chinese Democracy being lucrative enough to further his career and put up with being taken off of the market for so many years. He was perfect where he belonged.... as Trents sidekick.

I like Finck... not sure if he can shoulder being THE lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses though... and Axl doesn't seem to be either... it does drive me crazy that he seems to play every 5th note off-key when he plays the old stuff... not sure if he's screwing up or that's just his style... but I don't think it shows much respect to Slash's material. Buckethead on the other hand struck a brilliant balance (to my ears) of being extremely faithful and respectful of Slash's legendary solos... and then taking them even a step further by adding some additional speed or further developed sounds... I'll take Nightrain with the new band (+Buckethead) over the old band... that's how much I respect Buckethead's work on that song. Hopefully Axl & Co. can dig up another virtuoso to play alongside Robin...

Edited by MaoAxl

Buckethead on the other hand struck a brilliant balance (to my ears) of being extremely faithful and respectful of Slash's legendary solos... and then taking them even a step further by adding some additional speed or further developed sounds... I'll take Nightrain with the new band (+Buckethead) over the old band... that's how much I respect Buckethead's work on that song. Hopefully Axl & Co. can dig up another virtuoso to play alongside Robin...

Totally with you

I like Finck... not sure if he can shoulder being THE lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses though... and Axl doesn't seem to be either... it does drive me crazy that he seems to play every 5th note off-key when he plays the old stuff... not sure if he's screwing up or that's just his style... but I don't think it shows much respect to Slash's material.

This is where I disagree. He changes it, and makes it his own, Everyone would rip on him if he tried to emulate Slash perfectly.

I like him :)

But I think it's somewhat funny how he stands when he plays his solos (I've seen live videos from 2001-2001), his legs are standing very wide and leaned. Sorry if you don't get my point :( Not very good to explain what I mean!

rock3

Edited by DV_007

I'll take Nightrain with the new band (+Buckethead) over the old band... that's how much I respect Buckethead's work on that song. Hopefully Axl & Co. can dig up another virtuoso to play alongside Robin...

HAHAhahaha WTF :anger: - that's the most fucked up comment yet on this board. Nightrain is one of the greatest rock 'n' roll songs ever recorded and Slash n Izzy fucking wailed on it both in the studio and live. I piss on Buckethead, his brutal gimmicks and his widdly widlly scientific guitar schlock. Buddy, go jerk off to your Vai and Malmsteen discs and leave the REAL rock n roll to those that understand and appreciate it. Prefer the new band's version!!!!!! ROFL what a douche :fuckyou:

Well,i have to be honest..

I don't like Finck at all...He was good with NIN,but he doesn't fit with Guns style.. :no:

I just hate the way he played the Sweet Child o' mine solo at RIR 3, :angry:

And the November Rain solo...Oh it was awful...

It was a completely shame..

He shouldn't be the lead guitar player for this new tour...

I'll take Nightrain with the new band (+Buckethead) over the old band... that's how much I respect Buckethead's work on that song. Hopefully Axl & Co. can dig up another virtuoso to play alongside Robin...

HAHAhahaha WTF :anger: - that's the most fucked up comment yet on this board. Nightrain is one of the greatest rock 'n' roll songs ever recorded and Slash n Izzy fucking wailed on it both in the studio and live. I piss on Buckethead, his brutal gimmicks and his widdly widlly scientific guitar schlock. Buddy, go jerk off to your Vai and Malmsteen discs and leave the REAL rock n roll to those that understand and appreciate it. Prefer the new band's version!!!!!! ROFL what a douche :fuckyou:

So I'm thinking you disagree... fair enough. No insults required.

In the meantime though... :fuckyou: and go find a hobby. What a loser. Newsflash... you're not the guardian and keeper of the original band's legacy. Quit the vicarious existence... you're not going to be partying with Slash and Izzy this weekend. :rofl-lol: