How easy is it?

Appetite For Waiting

Why did Guns N Roses achieve so much in the 80s and early 90s? Simple: they were rebels and their music, which was awesome anyway, reflected their attitude.

Just watch the lost promo vid (with Erin in bondage) for It's So Easy and it's not difficult to see why GNR got so big:

If you were a kid in the 80s, you were bombarded with shitty hair-metal bands such as the Crue, Poison, KISS and Cinderella. Their songs were shit and inoffensive. They were singing for an audience - usually young high school kids. The whole hair metal scene was saturated and manufactured. There was no brutal, gutter honesty. GNR filled this vacuum.

Today's situation is remarkably similar. The whole hip-hop/rap scene is totally saturated. New rap artists are popping up left right and centre. Just listen to the radio or watch the music channels - this manufactured hip-hop, devoid of honesty, dominates the airwaves. It doesn't mean anything anymore. Eminem is old news and very boring - he sold out to popular culture anyway. And who honestly wants to hear about another black person growing up in the ghetto! That black person probably didn't even do that - he probably went to some Ivy League school and lived on the upper westside.

The question is: does anybody believe GNR can fill this vacuum again in 2006? The whole music scene is crying out for someone to do so.

If people say: "oh, Axl doesn't need to fill a vacuum or become some generation-defining icon", then think again. To avoid complete ridicule, an album that takes 13 years to complete has to achieve great things.

Personally, I don't think Guns N Roses can do so. Lightning doesn't strike twice. It's going to take some new and fresh wild-eyed, misogynistic, racist, homophobic, sex-mad, hard-living rock band to do so.

Just my opinion though. And I'd love to be proved wrong...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think eminem is probaly the best song writer around..... but Axl isn't 28 anymore, he is 44 and i am not expecting him to prance around on stage like a badass, his music is what people come to hear, his badass attitude is just a bonus for a concert.... though i would like to see him as a badass on stage

The most immediate problem is the comparisons.

Which are sort of unfair comparing 8 years of the old guys to like, 30 shows of the new guys and no album.

But in order for this thing to succeed, Axl is going to have to swallow some pride and do some press. I am not confident he will do this. But he has to. Before he could just send Slash and Duff. With all due repect, Richard and Tommy don't exactly have the same appeal. And all of the questions would be about Axl anyway.

i think eminem is probaly the best song writer around..... but Axl isn't 28 anymore, he is 44 and i am not expecting him to prance around on stage like a badass, his music is what people come to hear, his badass attitude is just a bonus for a concert.... though i would like to see him as a badass on stage

Eminem? You gotta be kidding right?

I think you are missing the point. The game has already been won. No we/GNR/whoever arent going back in time to when It's So Easy was the tune. Axl is a huge rock star and that is that. They did UYI and it sold a ton and cemented GNR as a big band. Now Axl is a legend. This album if it ever comes out is like the equivalent of Lennon's Double Fantasy for people of a certain age. Axl does really occupy that sort of space in people's minds. You can pretend that he's an unknown guy but the whole music industry knows who he is. Everyone in the western world knows he's the biggest rock star out there. Do the Stones fill a vacuum when they do an album and tour? No people just welcome them back because they love them.

I think you are missing the point. The game has already been won. No we/GNR/whoever arent going back in time to when It's So Easy was the tune. Axl is a huge rock star and that is that. They did UYI and it sold a ton and cemented GNR as a big band. Now Axl is a legend. This album if it ever comes out is like the equivalent of Lennon's Double Fantasy for people of a certain age. Axl does really occupy that sort of space in people's minds. You can pretend that he's an unknown guy but the whole music industry knows who he is. Everyone in the western world knows he's the biggest rock star out there. Do the Stones fill a vacuum when they do an album and tour? No people just welcome them back because they love them.

Nice Post Wasted..........

double Fantasy is fucking brilliant.......Got the DVD "imagine" and still can't watch the end......

Kudos!!!!

Ignore the negative haters..........

W.

I don't think so...I would have to agree with him...although slim shady has faded of late...he is still a brilliant lyricist...

Yes I agree that the world indeed needs a hard rock hero again... cause simply there's a lot of people that cannot relate to this music that's popular now and thats because every song is the same shit.

We need a real hard rock band!!! :):)

Yes I agree that the world indeed needs a hard rock hero again... cause simply there's a lot of people that cannot relate to this music that's popular now and thats because every song is the same shit.

We need a real hard rock band!!! :):)

Light shines in on room

*axl walks in*

Axl: i left my wallet

*picks up wallet and leaves*

I don't think so...I would have to agree with him...although slim shady has faded of late...he is still a brilliant lyricist...

Howsit going Elmir....thought you left for the ROV board........

Eminem is a great lyricist.....some of his shit is soooooo sick and twisted......gotta love it.......

but he has faded a bit.........

KUDOS!

WC

Eminem is a great lyricist.....

Eminem is an untalented idiot who he's in tune with his mediocre time.

No wonder you like him WC ! :heart:

yeh, hes so untalented hes become a legendary rapper <_<

Just ignore Niveen and put him on Block, Digital..........

waste of fucking time and oxygen......

and I actually like some rap.....I don't limit myself to one genre'.......I do have favorites, but I listen to a bit

of everything........I think you cheat yourself If you don't........a closed mind is a tool of ignorance!

W.

if only you realized how stupid you are for saying that.

Eminem is a great lyricist............tho i hate half of his songs..........the half which are i'm a bad ass gangster man......i'm gonna slap a bitch tonight kind of music.

the other half is very good.

Damn - I have to agree with WC and the others, though I admit I never gave it much thought until this thread.

I don't always agree with what Eminem says (as I don't always agree with what Axl says) in his songs, but the lyrics are well written and he displays a talent for speaking to his target demographics. In a lot of ways, Axl and Eminem are actually very similar.