A Pretty Harsh Inland Review:OC Register

Estrangedfx

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/enter...cle_1286422.php

Inland Invasion: Duds N' Poses

Review: Axl Rose's delayed return at Inland Invasion fell flat, but Muse and Alice in Chains saved the day.

By BEN WENER

The Orange County Register

The harder-edged sixth staging of KROQ's Inland Invasion festival was supposed to be remembered for the highly anticipated but somewhat dubious return of headliner Guns N' Roses, marking oft-ridiculed, long-missing Axl Rose's first major performance near his adopted hometown of Los Angeles in nearly 15 years.

Instead, it's just as likely that the event will be remembered for the final 90 buzz-killing minutes before Axl and his technically proficient but still fake GNR emerged.

The 30,000-plus multitudes on hand Saturday at Hyundai Pavilion were well aware he was due on at 10, which already made the 40-minute gap of nothing that followed a surprisingly strong turn from a reconstituted Alice in Chains an irritation, considering how the rest of the fest arrived almost nonstop. Tack on an extra 50 minutes of downtime, filled with bone-chilling gusty winds and a loop of the same dozen songs KROQ had been playing for hours, and it's little wonder that trash was soon flying and fires on the lawn started blazing.

It was a long enough wait to make even never-say-die fans wonder if Axl would cause yet another riot by flaking at the last minute, as he had more than once when GNR attempted a quickly aborted North American tour four years ago. To say that everywhere you turned there was palpable, rapidly accelerating tension among ready-to-rumble types who had been downing giant beers all day is an understatement. A rumor that Axl wasn't even on the premises once Alice finished its set didn't help.

Gratefully, just before 11 the seemingly impossible became a reality – and the crowd let out a deafening, cathartic cry as the teasing opening of "Welcome to the Jungle" rang out. Out of the darkness sprang the notorious one himself, wrapped in leather and leaning back to shriek with all his might: "Do you know where the (bleep) you are?"

It was undoubtedly a striking moment, exactly the jolt not-so-patient devotees were hoping for.

It was also the best moment in GNR's set.

Everything that followed became increasingly laughable, from Axl's hilariously overstated trademark phrasing (you know: "oh, don't you cry-eee-yi," "knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's doh-oooh-whoa") to momentum-shredding, stage-clearing solos from L.A. scenesters that merely helped a 75-minute set stretch to nearly two hours. (I'm sure a two-guitar solo built around Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" is precisely what GNR die-hards were hoping to hear.)

It's bewildering how this pseudo-GNR has earned near-raves overseas and elsewhere stateside. Yes, the seven-man band performs the group's hard-rock staples (the overwhelming majority this night from 1987's seminal "Appetite for Destruction") with considerable skill, though I'd expect nothing less from players whose resumés include stints in Nine Inch Nails (guitarist Robin Finck), Primus (drummer Brain) and the Replacements (bassist Tommy Stinson).

But, c'mon, Velvet Revolver (sporting three former Gunners) is more GNR than this sham – and they've got a frontman (Scott Weiland) with still-strong pipes. At 44, Axl Rose, who really should perform under his own name, is a hulking, huffy shell of his former terrifying self.

His cornrows remain, and now and then he can flash his old sinisterly sweet smile. His beefiness, however, can appear bloated. His bursts of comin'-to-get-ya energy have all the danger of a belligerent dad at a family picnic – that is, when he's even on stage, since much of the time he disappears to change shirts or perhaps have a cig.

Worst of all, his voice is shot. Once in a while here he could muster the high-pitched police-siren wail of yore (notably during "Sweet Child o' Mine" and parts of "November Rain") as strongly as he could summon his skull-piercing screech-bark (at its best during "It's So Easy" and "You Could Be Mine"). I have no doubt that, well-tweaked in the studio, his cartoonish nasality could still be potent on record, should the fabled "Chinese Democracy" or anything else ever see the light of day. (Though if new glop like the Billy Joel-ish "The Blues" is any indication, maybe it should stay unreleased.)

Live, Axl simply lacks force, his faint words fading into the mix, his "act" reduced to mythologizing the past. At least Velvet Revolver has recaptured that spirit and moved forward. Axl is just idling in a glorified tribute band.

To be fair, Alice in Chains, one of the small handful of truly noteworthy bands to emerge from the Seattle explosion of the early '90s, is little more than an homage to what it once was as well, with relative unknown William Duvall filling in for vocalist Layne Staley, who was claimed by drugs in 2002. But where heightened expectations after a lengthy absence helped sink GNR, zero expectations after nearly a decade away made Alice's return that much more invigorating.

Usually reunions with new singers mimicking old heroes are doomed to fail instantly. But frankly it's been so long since Alice's finest sides have been heard, much less performed so confidently by original members like guitarist Jerry Cantrell, that it was like discovering some of these heavy but lysergic and uniquely moody songs all over again.

"Rooster," for one, is a slow burner like few have attempted since, and "Man in the Box" – here treated to a deeply impressive vocal turn from freshly mohawked Chester Bennington of Linkin Park – will remain a stone cold classic. Those cuts alongside the rest of the band's equally superior material reminded that Alice should be lauded for the multilayered density of what it created, not what it spawned (that is, dreck from Candlebox to Godsmack).

No band on the bill, however, could hold a flame to the staggering power of Muse, the tenacious, gifted, few-frills English trio that is finally surpassing years of all-too-easy Radiohead comparisons.

Nothing else here compared. Not Papa Roach, though its newly Hollywoodized metal continues to gloss over its self-pitying annoyances. Not Jared Leto's star trip 30 Seconds to Mars, which, like My Chemical Romance, is all style and no substance. Not Chicago's Rise Against, an out-of-place punk band nowhere near as strong live as it is on record.

And not any of the day's O.C.-based or -related acts, be it Avenged Sevenfold (which, youth on its side, can handily out-GNR the real thing these days) or the Aerosmith-y throwbacks of Buckcherry and illustrated frontman Josh Todd (who, though he resembles Willem Dafoe, can easily out-Axl Axl) or the talentless growling and emo whining of Atreyu.

Muse, led by the sick skills of guitarist Matt Bellamy and bassist Chris Wolstenholme, simply operates on an entirely higher level. Its wall of sonics can be as tremendous as anything at Ozzfest, but the intense, almost Tool-like complexity of its frantically but fluidly arpeggioed structures, set against Bellamy's near-operatic, emotionally rousing melodies (think neo-Queen) and the group's inventive danceable grooves, puts it in a class by itself right now.

It took a great album ("Black Holes and Revelations," its fourth) to make me hear Muse's greatness at home. Took seeing the group amid a fairly redundant and formulaic metal fest to solidify that realization live.

Now I'm reallykicking myself hard for having missed its recent Greek gig.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with all this GN'R/Axl hate? For the love of God, SLash isn't coming back, and that doesn't mean this isn't GN'R, it most certainly is. Axl's voice was for the most part, amazing yesterday. These haters are just trying to kill all the momentum GN'R has been setting this past year.

Well, I have to say, FUCK THE HATERS! 2006 is the year, GUNS N' ROSES comes back full force.

And, what's up with all the INCREASINGLY LAUGHABLE bullshit. Fuck man.

But, c'mon, Velvet Revolver (sporting three former Gunners) is more GNR than this sham – and they've got a frontman (Scott Weiland) with still-strong pipes. At 44, Axl Rose, who really should perform under his own name, is a hulking, huffy shell of his former terrifying self.

hahaa I can smell a Axl hater a miles, miles way! :lol:

poor Axl...he will never get respect from this douchebags no matter what!

Axl Rose's delayed return at Inland Invasion fell flat, but Muse and Alice in Chains saved the day.

then he goes on to say what? ....did this fag watch the same concert we all did or what man? :lol:

I don't agree about Axl's voice. Vocally he's been great.

The rest is 100% spot-on, imo. This in particular:

At least Velvet Revolver has recaptured that spirit and moved forward. Axl is just idling in a glorified tribute band.

why dont you go to the fucking VR section then and leave the real GNR fans alone.

what a bullshit review. he spends more time focusing on 'this isn't gnr' then reviewing the actual fucking show. its not like its a secret GNR's lineup has changed over the years, he acted like he was expecting a different band. fucking moron.

You tell em A_D err........King dick.

Meh. Nothing I haven't seen before from people on this board. "Cover band - VR is more Guns than Guns - Axl's appearance is laughable so I must talk about it for more than one paragraph."

It's all stuff I've read before on here. It's more like a glorified Kaneda rant than a review. However, comparing 'The Blues' to anything Billy Joel ever did is a sham of a comparison. Billy Joel crushes 'The Blues.' Bigtime. That comparison is just disgraceful. Make fun of Axl all you want, but leave Billy out of your stupid rant review.

At least Velvet Revolver has recaptured that spirit and moved forward. Axl is just idling in a glorified tribute band.

why dont you go to the fucking VR section then and leave the real GNR fans alone.

You arent a "real" gnr fan, You're a groupie :shades:

Admit it you dirty dirty boy you

You arent a "real" gnr fan, You're a groupie :shades:

Admit it you dirty dirty boy you

and you are a cupcake.

look at your sig. you will be banned before the week is over. making hacking threats what a fucking cupcake.

I've been listening to Axl's voice with a critical ear ever since he has started touring again, and I have to say I was really surprised at how good he sounded at this show. He had his rasp going more than in any show I have heard since the Illusions tour, which is easily validated by his final, "knock knock knockin on heaven's door." He does look like he put on a few pounds, but I'd rather have a 10-15lb (if that) overweight Axl who can sing, than a ripped Axl who can't.

This OC register reviewer obviously made up his mind about the band before he even saw them.

Are you so high up Slash's ass that you don't see this poser's critique is as much a diss on Axl as it is on old-GnR? People who think GnR suck base it on the AFD, Lies, and UYI era. GnR has never garnered the kind of respect that bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Sound Garden (Audio Slave), and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. And maybe rightfully so. The talent in the old GnR is so far below these bands I listed.

Why do you think Axl wanted Slash, Duff, and Matt to step up their game and take GnR to a higher level? The people who hate VR, are the same people who thought old GnR sucked as well.

So, next time, when some writer disses Axl and GnR, realize that it's as much an insult on old-GnR and your precious Slash and VR.

Edited by Anti

As a media studies major I can promise you that this is just a picture perfect example of a poor journalist. Actually I dont know if poor is the word...more like FUCKING PATHETIC. He is biased, close-minded and obviously lazy because it's apparent he didn't do his homework and quite frankly I seriously doubt he even saw the show.

there have been people here that have allready said he had his mind made up about the review and the band before the show even started and they are absolutely right. This was certainly one of the best GN'R performances in years and years, if he could not see that, he is simply one of those assholes who just can't get ovr the fact that the old band is now putting out records that server better as frisbee's than something to listen to.

Oh, by the way, whoever put this review here forgot to point out that his name is Ben Wener. If you google his name and read some other articles and reviews you will see that most of it is crap.

HEY BEN! He's in my ass thats where slash is, FUCKHEAD, next time GN'R plays stay home and listen to contraband and convince yourself that it's a great album...then you can write a bullshit review about that too.

this is kind of funny, where it says: "His cornrows remain, and now and then he can flash his old sinisterly sweet smile. His beefiness, however, can appear bloated. His bursts of comin'-to-get-ya energy have all the danger of a belligerent dad at a family picnic – that is, when he's even on stage, since much of the time he disappears to change shirts or perhaps have a cig."

Actually, Ben Wener reviewed Velvet Revolver's last concert. I posted it here.

He praised the band, but also had some valid criticism, imo.

I like his stuff. Shares a lot of my opinions - so I can only assume he's also very smart and devilishly good looking.

That is exactly why he is an absolute SHIT journalist. As a journalist it is not your job to present your fucking opinion, it is your job to present an un-biast fair and even presentation about whatever it is your covering. If you share the same opinions as him, wooptee fuck, get together and rub his nuts for him as well, maybe he'll give his opinion and say in his opinion your good looking. When in reality your a simply conieded.

Edited by allen8r