Could Chinese Democracy be available only as a download first?

Route66

I think this is possible but what would the fan reaction be? It's a great way to beat the early downloaders. Put it up there and get fans to pay for it. Then a few months down the line bring out the full printed CD version of the album.. with maybe a few bonuses.. the GNR fans will probably go buy it again. This effectively doubles album sales, prevents leaks etc. I mean its easier to keep the album under wraps until the last minute then stick it on a server somewhere for legal download with copy protection of some sort.

Any opinions? To me this seems like the only realistic way to release this thing and try to beat the lost sales through piracy and the internet. It would also explain why we have no more leaks and the album is apparently just around the corner.

Would you buy the download?

Would you then buy the released CD album?

Would you be pissed?

questions, questions... :book:

It's an interesting notion, because "downloading" is now so deeply routed in the history of Guns N' Roses. Really we have "downloaded" enough unreleased new material from them to make up a full album.

With that said and done, I don't think that they would release it as download only. I think they will toss it on the shelves and then make it available for download on Itunes.

A8R

Edited by allen8r

It really wouldn't have any affect on the chances of leaks before it was released for download, and it probably would increase the number of people downloading it from kazaa and limewire.

I'm not so sure..

Copy protection is possible.. saying that they can usually be cracked somehow. They would have to have a damn good copy protection system that prevented file sharing. It must be possible somehow i guess :rofl-lol:

Isn't it obvious?

The whole delay of Chinese Democracy stems from Axl creating a new type of media.

Different from CD, Vinyl, Cassette or .MP3.

It can only be played on a special 'Democracy Starter' platform hifi.

That's why it's taken so long.

It can never leak.

Can never be copied.

And Axl shall rule the world.

Chinese Democracy is coming...

First of all, the copy-protected files would have to have the highest security of any legal music downloads. Why? Because iTunes, Urge, Napster, and Rhapsody downloads all can be burned to a blank CD once they are purchased. In fact, I've bought two albums from iTunes and both times I burned them to CD's and then re-ripped them back into iTunes, replacing the protected files. So if they were to release the album on iTunes or whatever, many people would buy it, then burn it, then rip it and place the files on different sharing sites.

Edited by GNRfan2008

they cant do what your talking about yet, if your downloading from itunes, then you could dl from any file sharing program. plus, everyone knows that the first leaked version is gonna be found on this forum.

Yeah, they'd have to protect the legally downloaded files from ever being burned. I don't think there's a consumer out there who would stand for that. It's not fair at all because what if you lose the files or something? I know iTunes does allow data backup to data CD or DVD, but I don't think many people actually use that feature. Most would want to burn it to CD so they can play it in their car. Downloading legally is supposed to be about the convenience of not having to go to a store and buy it. It shouldn't restrict the consumer to the point that they can only use it on two mediums (computer and mp3 player) until they lose the files (which can easily happen if your computer crashes).

Edited by GNRfan2008

I would never buy anything from itunes. As you say, you cant copy it as you want (you might want to burn one cd for the car and such) And also the quality sucks. You should not pay for less than cd quality

Yeah, I'm actually kind of ticked that I paid for those downloads from iTunes. They were in 128 kbps AAC, which is the default for ripping CD's into iTunes as well. Napster's SUBSCRIPTION (not even purchased, but rented) downloads come in 192 kbps WMA. Now I would say iTunes has good quality downloads, but I think they owe it to the consumer to offer lossless downloads or something. 128 kbps AAC is pretty good quality, but their rivals are offering 192 kbps WMA (Napster and Urge) and 192 AAC (Rhapsody). I actually went on Napster about a week ago and downloaded Evanescence's new album just in the subscription mode, then recorded the tracks and got them for free. Then cancelled my 7-day free trial with Napster. I usually use Rhapsody, but they don't have Evanescence on there. Unfortunately I bought Evanescence's first album from iTunes about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I had a crappy version of it I downloaded for free a few years ago and finally decided to upgrade. But I had no idea Napster had Evanescence. Otherwise I would have signed up on there and recorded it from them instead. Oh, and you CAN burn up to 5 CD's of protected content from iTunes. If you want to burn more, just rip the files unprotected into iTunes and replace the protected ones. Then you can burn them as many times as you want.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Isn't it obvious?

The whole delay of Chinese Democracy stems from Axl creating a new type of media.

It can never leak.

Can never be copied.

LMAO :rofl-lol:

Sandman, you make me giggle..

But IMO i don't think GN'R will release online first.. I get the feeling that Axl doesn't like the internet much...

KK x

Isn't it obvious?

It can never leak.

Can never be copied.

:lol::lol: