The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

Mariusz Pudzianowski 5x winner of world's strongest man competition made his mma debut today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaam4svk1-k

pudzianvsnajman.jpg

OUCH!!!

He won comfortably as well.

And Lashley will fight on the 30th Jan, no opponent confirmed yet though.

Won comfortably ? He just destroyed other guy, fight was over after 44 seconds.

Hence won comfortably :huh: Najman offered nothing, didn't want to engage and didn't attempt to get back to his feet, just covered up. Surprising all things considered - being an ex-boxer, I think the kicks threw him utterly.

The UFC continues to trim its roster, releasing Brock Larson, Denis Kang, Roli Delgado and Jason Dent after they lost fights at UFC 106. = Sherdog.

Predictions for tonight?

Matchups:

UFC Lightweight Championship

B.J. Penn (No. 1 LW, No. 6 PFP) vs. Diego Sanchez

Frank Mir (No. 4 HW) vs. Cheick Kongo

Kenny Florian (No. 4 LW) vs. Clay Guida

Jon Fitch (No. 2 WW, No. 8 PFP) vs. Mike Pierce

Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia

Shane Nelson vs. Matt Wiman

Johny Hendricks vs. Ricardo Funch

Rousimar Palhares vs. Lucio Linhares

Damarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia

Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant

I'm going to say Sanchez by submission late 2nd/3rd. If not, BJ decision.

Mir to TKO Kongo in the second

Ken Flo to win.

Fitch to win. Struve to bounce back.

I think Belcher will do it - this'll be a great bout though.

Wiman over Nelson, Hendricks, Palhares and Garcia to win.

Burns/Grant'll be a good bout too - I quite like Burns personally.

Edited by The Sandman

Well I didn't post my picks but I got all of them right other than the first match of the card, I figured Buentello could take Struve.

Anyways, the Lightweight division is on lock down now. BJ Penn is a beast, dude was putting on a clinic just like Joe Rogan said. That head kick that called the stoppage was brutal, huge gash.

I was pretty heartbroken by his domination of Kongo, but Mir 3.0 makes the heavyweight division really exciting. I still doubt that the extra 20lbs of muscle will do much for him against Lesnar, though. I think they should go ahead with Mir vs. Carwin until then, seeing as how Shane's number one contender spot remains a large question mark.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nogueira-Out-of-UFC-109-21573

And Carwin/Mir seems likely - and I'd be excited for that bout deffo!

Yeah, kind of figured. Should be interesting.... if Mir keeps his conditioning I think he could take it.

I mean, Mir now has the height and a miniscule weight advantage. Interestingly, although he's a black belt, Carwin is purple (under Marquadt) - and 5 of his 11 fights have been submission victories - we've just not seen that in the UFC. His wrestling is important, but then Mir can probably stifle that. It'll be a great bout methinks, a real war. UFC 111 roll on!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nogueira-Out-of-UFC-109-21573

And Carwin/Mir seems likely - and I'd be excited for that bout deffo!

Yeah, kind of figured. Should be interesting.... if Mir keeps his conditioning I think he could take it.

I mean, Mir now has the height and a miniscule weight advantage. Interestingly, although he's a black belt, Carwin is purple (under Marquadt) - and 5 of his 11 fights have been submission victories - we've just not seen that in the UFC. His wrestling is important, but then Mir can probably stifle that. It'll be a great bout methinks, a real war. UFC 111 roll on!

Can't wait for this one!

People seem to be comparing the two as if they're so similar, but really, Lesnar's school of wrestling is leaps and bounds ahead of Carwin's and I'm sure he's considerably stronger than him, as well. So while Mir may be able to somewhat neutralize Shane's offense on the ground, fighting Brock puts you in a different universe altogether. I mean, the dude had diverticulitis and still unleashed hell's gates on him. If he comes back at 100%, watch your face, Frank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Really sad to see Nog get destroyed and finished for the second time in his career. That's twice in three fights now, and to Mir and Velasquez of all people - guys who aren't even known for their KO power. So many people were accusing Cain of being pillow-fisted before this fight, but lo and behold, first round fatality.

Edited by bluesy

• 4 weeks later...

Jon Jones vs. Vera - Being billed as "young" talent :lol: Vera's ten years older than Jones!

Official Weights:

Jon Jones (206) vs. Brandon Vera (204) - KO

Junior dos Santos (238) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (255) - Very close, maybe decision?

Cheick Kongo (237) vs. Paul Buentello (246) - I hope he headhunts Kongo.

James Irvin (185) vs. Alessio Sakara (185) - Like both of this guys, probably a split decision, I'll go with my namesake Irvin

Clay Guida (155) vs. Shannon Gugerty (155) - By going mental

Vladimir Matyushenko (205) vs. Eliot Marshall (204) - Decision

Duane Ludwig (155) vs. Darren Elkins (155) - TKO

Daniel Roberts (169) vs. John Howard (170) - Not a clue

Brendan Schaub (*245) vs. Chase Gormley (265) - Optimism

Mike Pierce (170) vs. Julio Paulino (170) - Decision

Eric Schafer (205) vs. Jason Brilz (205) - TKO, 2nd

Jon Jones vs. Vera - Being billed as "young" talent :lol: Vera's ten years older than Jones!

Official Weights:

James Irvin (185) vs. Alessio Sakara (185) - Like both of this guys, probably a split decision, I'll go with my namesake Irvin

Kinda missed the mark on the major fights, there.

Jon Jones' ground n' pound is the stuff nightmares are made of. That elbow was gnarly as fuck. It's gonna be interesting to see how he measures up against the elite competition at LHW.

JDS continues to be phenomenal and this win plants him firmly in the Top 5 with Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, and Velasquez. Talk about a fucking stacked division. And the great thing is, unlike some of the others, we don't really know at this point who the top dog at 265 is because no one has cleaned it out in the fashion that guys like Penn, GSP and Silva have at their respective weight classes. It seems like Junior is pushing for a fight with Cain right now, which would seriously be awesome, but I suspect that Dana would wanna keep those guys looking unstoppable for as long as he can. That, and it seems kind of unfair for Cain to have to take another step back after finishing Big Nog the way he did. His next fight should be for the title.

Mir vs. Carwin this Saturday is gonna answer a lot of questions. It's a tough call, really. Ever since the fight was announced, I was pulling for Shane, but I've kind of warmed up to Frank recently, what with the story of his comeback and all, plus the enticing prospect of a rubber match with Brock, which equals MONEY and DRAMA -- every promoter's dream. If I was putting money on it, I'd probably go with Mir, but that's just intuition. Obviously, he has the technical edge both in terms of his boxing and BJJ, but just the same, Carwin has the edge in pure KO power and -- provided that his ground game is good enough -- he can make things difficult for Frank if he establishes top control. Now, Shane isn't quite the wrestling machine that Brock is, nor is he as explosive, large, and quick, but I do believe he packs more in his punch. If it does indeed go to the ground, I'd say he has the advantage in terms of his ability to get on top, whether he scores a takedown himself, or gets rocked by Frank and gets taken down. I give him the benefit of the doubt in the latter case simply because of his wrestling background and the fact that he showed amazing resilience when put in that exact position in the Gonzaga fight. Having said that, Frank's guard is dangerous, so he can easily get caught and submitted from there. Shane's best bet is to try and get Frank against the cage and fire off some deadly shots if the standup doesn't go his way early on. The only downside to this fight is that it won't go past the second round.

Official Weights:

Kinda missed the mark on the major fights, there.

Cheers you bastard, I was far better at the undercard :lol:

Mind you, the top three were mostly based around who I wanted to win - I mean, this is MMA, you can't accurately predict it. Ludwig broke his leg, has a spiral fracture- you can't predict that. Irvin, I felt was a bit unlucky, but it was entirely the right decision and I do really like Sakara!

Was still a good card, I enjoyed it!

Entirely agree with you regarding the heavyweight division, great to see it in such a condition.

I equally like both Mir and Carwin, although Mir perhaps more, ergo - I want thim to win, and take Brock out - ultimate comeback.

i really hope carwin wins. i want to see him go up against brock, we have seen mir twice and neither was all that pretty. he stands a better chance in the rubber match but i would rather see what carwin is going to bring to the table.

this is going to be good.

I equally like both Mir and Carwin, although Mir perhaps more, ergo - I want thim to win, and take Brock out - ultimate comeback.

Speaking of which... this video is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in recent memory. Even Mir fans have to chuckle at this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX6E91G_S3k

I love it - great find!