The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

Fuck, I just watched another in shitty quality - rage.

This is hard to process, and surely drops Fedor's stock some...

Emelianenko brothers have now been beaten - both by Werdum. Interesting.

Thing is Werdum isn't a bad fighter, he was cut from the UFC with a 2-2 record, and his last fight was a loss against Dos Santos - high quality fighter. I believe he's even been referred to as the one who got away, in that it was a mistake to cut him - on this evidence...

Just seemed that Fedor smelled blood and went in - although I'm not sure if Werdum played for it? He went down easily, maybe feigning somewhat and knew his superior BJJ would take him through. I dunno, I'm speculating.

Also - for those of us who are keen (i.e. Me!) on Tim Sylvia and Paul Buentello - they're booked to fight soon.

CANNOT WAIT

Edited by The Sandman

To me, it seem as if Brock is fighting two opponents - his health and Shane Carwin. Do I think he can beat Carwin if he has no issues? I think it is entirely possible. But he's coming back from a life-threatening illness, I just don't know if he can keep up the intensity he has had previously.

I've seen him train with Couture and it is absolutely intense:

And I mean, take a look at a few photos from his training camp too.

He looks in good shape all things considered, but I don't think that Brock has ever been hit that hard before - and hell, neither has Carwin.

I mean, Carwin lives it completely too, another great video:

This is a dude who holds down a full-time job as an engineer, training like three times a day and has young kids. He's a beast.

Whatever - this will be a great fight.

Just seemed that Fedor smelled blood and went in - although I'm not sure if Werdum played for it? He went down easily, maybe feigning somewhat and knew his superior BJJ would take him through. I dunno, I'm speculating.

To me it looked like Werdum simply lost his legs while defensively backpeddling. He wasn't hurt nor was he tired. Fedor made a rare error of judgement and rushed in for the kill against a decorated grappler who was just as fresh and coherent as he was when he entered the cage.

He entered Werdums world.

Thing is Werdum isn't a bad fighter, he was cut from the UFC with a 2-2 record, and his last fight was a loss against Dos Santos - high quality fighter. I believe he's even been referred to as the one who got away, in that it was a mistake to cut him - on this evidence...

Also - for those of us who are keen (i.e. Me!) on Tim Sylvia and Paul Buentello - they're booked to fight soon.

CANNOT WAIT

Really Sandman?

I can't think of many fights more boring, perhaps that's because Sylvia is a fucking joke.I would go with Buentello all day long though

Fedor losing isn't really a surprise, he looked slow against Rogers awhile back. Saw it coming. Like he said, he's only human, he was due sooner or later.

As for UFC 116, my pick goes to Shane Carwin. The guy is a beast and is really overshadowed by Brock... Brock is too much hype. I'm not sure if either can KO each other, it might goto decision.

People are acting like Werdum is some nobody. Anyone is the underdog when facing Fedor. And last I knew Werdum was ranked as the #9 Heavyweight in the world. There seems to be this perception these days that if you don't fight in the UFC, you're just not that good, which is BS. Dana made a mistake in cutting Werdum, imo. Zuffa's still making $ off of Werdum's likeness too. He's in the UFC 2010 game.

I like both Brock and Carwin, so I don't really care who wins. I think if Brock chooses to stand with Carwin, there's a pretty good chance that Brock will get ko'd. IMO, it would be best for Brock to try to take Carwin down and start doing the ground & pound thing on him, let those hammerfists fly. Either way, should be a good fight with a decisive victory for one of them. I don't see it going to decision, I'd be shocked if it even goes to the 3rd round.

Funny thing I noticed in the Carwin vid is the place he goes to work out is right next to a Jimmy John's, one of Brock's major sponsors. Strange coincidence.

CANNOT WAIT

Really Sandman?

I can't think of many fights more boring, perhaps that's because Sylvia is a fucking joke.I would go with Buentello all day long though

Sadly, I'm not joking. Despite his trials and tribulations, I do like Tim Syliva! I want to see him get back on track and generally follow him when he fights. I mean, I'm not a blind sheep and he's not been good or indeed even fit - but hell, there's something about him :lol:

Buentello I like because of his attitude - I mean, he's a one-dimensional fighter entirely, but I still think he's a cool dude.

It won't be a good fight at all, but I'm hoping for a bit of a stand-up war.

Perhaps that's optimism (and too much of it to boot)!

Also, no surprise whatsoever, but after four straight losses, "The Dean of Mean" Keith Jardine has been cut.

Edited by The Sandman

Mind you, Jardine wasn't exactly that bad, nor was he a massive financial drain - but to lose four on the trot in this sport... I mean he was going to be a gatekeeper at best with those sorts of stats. Lets see him win a few outside and work his way back in.

You could tell Carwin blew his load in the 1st round. He was banking on being able to finish Brock within 3 minutes and when that didn't happen, he was fucked. Thank god it wasn't Mazagatti reffing. I really think he would've stopped it when Brock was in trouble in the 1st round. Brock proved he can take some vicious shots. I look forward to Brock's fight against Cain. Cain is a more well rounded fighter than Carwin, with excellent striking, but I'm still gonna bank on Brock ending Cain's undefeated streak. I think he should take Cain down like he did with Carwin.