Bumblefoot v. Buckethead

KyleMac

Anybody with brains knows that Bumblefoot is a much much better fit for GnR.

you didn't even begin to see the tip of the iceberg of what Bucket could offer GNR. If you think Better was a good song, it would've probably been swept aside by Bucket's songs over the albums/years.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you didn't even begin to see the tip of the iceberg of what Bucket could offer GNR. If you think Better was a good song, it would've probably been swept aside by Bucket's songs over the albums/years.

I pretty much think the same applies for Axl. I think he struggled to look past the wierdness and see a fuckin' classic guitarist. I didn't like Buckethead but then I listen to how he owns the demos and how cool it would've been to see him live, I change my mind.

I pretty much think the same applies for Axl. I think he struggled to look past the wierdness and see a fuckin' classic guitarist. I didn't like Buckethead but then I listen to how he owns the demos and how cool it would've been to see him live, I change my mind.

It's hard to know what really happended there. Was it just Axl driving another one away...were some of the other band members pricks to BH(especially Stinson)....or was BH simply too weird, transient and unreliable as Axl painted in the PR?

Would love to get BH's side of the story some day assuming he's not telling it through a sock...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

This coming from people that have little or no knowledge of Bumblefoot. You want an effeminate Guns and Roses???? Stick with Buckethead and his fetish for dead chickens. We all know the kentucky fried chicken helmet was SOOO in the know.

I thought Buckethead was a fake when he was at MIT. One of those nerds you'd give your right nut to pulverize. He was one of those pimply faced geeks that would lock himself in his bedroom and masterbate to superhero comics. No thank you I'll take a baked on heroin six stringer in my GNR anytime over that miserable soul.

But he is a good guitarist and that my friends is about all that can be said about "buckethead" his nunchaku rubber chicken act made GNR look like a fucken joke. The whole schtick was so uncool and if you think it was well it doesn't say very much about you as a man, a fan and human being.

Edited by rockerman

Buckethead was the only valuable member that band had in terms of songwriting and sheer creativity. He was obscenely underutilized and forced to play second fiddle to someone like.. Robin Finck. Despite the negative criticism of his image, Buckethead's solo performance during the 2002 tour was consistently praised as the highlight of the show. His departure was a huge loss..

Hopefully, he'll feature on the album..

-Kickingthehabit

Buckethead His departure was a huge loss..

-Kickingthehabit

I'll never understand how anyone can say BH was good for GNR. His playing was amazing, yes. But his image was an absolute joke. Everyone and their mother thought GNR then was a freak show, except for the few BH hummer givers around places like this on the net.

Hell, I THOUGHT GNR was a bit of a joke with a clown like that on the stage. Soul? Songwriting capability? Where does anyone see the soul in a clown that takes a few gimmicks WAY too far? Songwriting? Let's wait to pass judgement on that until we hear something he contributed to in a songwriting kind of way. I'm not convinced any of the leaks we've heard even feature him... people just assume so.

Finally, if he features on the album, or anything of his is on the album, it would be a total tradgedy. I mean, how fucking dumb would it be to have guitar parts on an album from a guy that's not even in the band (THANK GOD!). BH was way too much of a shredder too... good riddence.

I don't think Axl or GNR's management is that dumb. They're not going to want to give him any royalties... especially after leaving the band and potentially costing the band two or three years of extra exposure in the process.

Frankly, the two or three years lost is well worth seeing a GNR onstage that actually looks like a great RNR band... not the Ed Rose circus.

Here's to BBF!!! The man is just as good, if not better, than Buckethead. He communicates with the fans and is a class act to boot. In time we'll all hear why BBF is a better fit. Mark my words.

-Kickingthehabit

I'll never understand how anyone can say BH was good for GNR. His playing was amazing, yes. But his image was an absolute joke. Everyone and their mother thought GNR then was a freak show, except for the few BH hummer givers around places like this on the net.

Hell, I THOUGHT GNR was a bit of a joke with a clown like that on the stage. Soul? Songwriting capability? Where does anyone see the soul in a clown that takes a few gimmicks WAY too far? Songwriting? Let's wait to pass judgement on that until we hear something he contributed to in a songwriting kind of way. I'm not convinced any of the leaks we've heard even feature him... people just assume so.

Finally, if he features on the album, or anything of his is on the album, it would be a total tradgedy. I mean, how fucking dumb would it be to have guitar parts on an album from a guy that's not even in the band (THANK GOD!). BH was way too much of a shredder too... good riddence.

I don't think Axl or GNR's management is that dumb. They're not going to want to give him any royalties... especially after leaving the band and potentially costing the band two or three years of extra exposure in the process.

Frankly, the two or three years lost is well worth seeing a GNR onstage that actually looks like a great RNR band... not the Ed Rose circus.

Here's to BBF!!! The man is just as good, if not better, than Buckethead. He communicates with the fans and is a class act to boot. In time we'll all hear why BBF is a better fit. Mark my words.

[/quot

What we have here is an intelligent, perceptive and absolutely right assessment of the Buckethead. Goodbye and good riddance. Since he wasn't really weren't there... he won't be missed.* Since were into the image- being- a -distraction -mode

Was I the only one that gained copius amounts of respect for Robins position when he abandoned that goofy looking shit he was trying to pull off on the faithful GNR fans in 2002? That kind of costume would have got his guts kicked in back in the day trying to even go to a GNR concert much less play in one. There was just something so wrong watching a grown man in pippi longstocking socks and clown makeup playing Sweet Child O Mine. It screamed please hit me with a bottle of piss before I fuck up this band even more.

*refering to Axl's introduction of Buckethead at a show in 2002.

Edited by rockerman

-Kickingthehabit

Extremely superficial attitude, I must say..

If I recall correctly, there was much controversy over Buckethead's appearance at the VMA awards in 2002. Many labelled him a freak, unworthy of performing with Rose. Ironically, any averseness towards his inclusion in the band vanished when fans experienced just how awe-inspiring his talents are..

It's a shame so much versatility is ignored by those concerned with a wardrobe..

-Kickingthehabit

-Kickingthehabit

If I recall correctly, there was much controversy over Buckethead's appearance at the VMA awards in 2002. Many labelled him a freak, unworthy of performing with Rose. Ironically, any averseness towards his inclusion in the band vanished when fans experienced just how awe-inspiring his talents are..

It's a shame so much versatility is ignored by those concerned with a wardrobe..

-Kickingthehabit

Dude the guy talks through a sock puppet named Herbie. His music get boring after about 3 minutes and yes I have his albums....and his inclusion into GNR totally spit in the face of what GNR fans live for. Technically he is amazing. I think he has a niche but not there. GNR is also about attitude and personality.. its two key ingredients in the chemistry of making good music. He's a fucken robot. He's good but he's a huge distraction. Rubber chickens at at GNR concert? Thats when I really started to think Axl and GnR were to far gone. Axl should have slapped the shit out of him for that stunt. Axl should have taken those nunchakus and shoved them up his sissy ass. Now that would have been GNR and it would have been Rock and Roll and above all else it woud have been entertaining.

-Kickingthehabit

-Kickingthehabit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PdvkxbGjE

I don't think this is bumblefoots wardrobe playing

Edited by angry anderson

Dude the guy talks through a sock puppet named Herbie. His music get boring after about 3 minutes and yes I have his albums....and his inclusion into GNR totally spit in the face of what GNR fans live for. Technically he is amazing. I think he has a niche but not there. GNR is also about attitude and personality.. its two key ingredients in the chemistry of making good music. He's a fucken robot. He's good but he's a huge distraction. Rubber chickens at at GNR concert? Thats when I really started to think Axl and GnR were to far gone. Axl should have slapped the shit out of him for that stunt. Axl should have taken those nunchakus and shoved them up his sissy ass. Now that would have been GNR and it would have been Rock and Roll and above all else it woud have been entertaining.

1. youre an idiot.

2. buckethead is amazing, and i think he even looks cool.

3. his solo albums are great, he is a brilliant songwriter and guitarist. colma is one of my favourite albums ever.

4. i would like to see him with gnr. he is a good contrast. i could stare in awe at him for hours.

5. youre an idiot.

It's hard to know what really happended there. Was it just Axl driving another one away...were some of the other band members pricks to BH(especially Stinson)....or was BH simply too weird, transient and unreliable as Axl painted in the PR?

Would love to get BH's side of the story some day assuming he's not telling it through a sock...

If that rumor is true about Tommy Stinson being a prick to BH and alienating him, then he's a bigger douchebag than I thought.

KTH pretty much hit the nail on the head. Buckethead was a phenomenally talented guitarist and he will be sorely missed. While Ron Thal is amazing in his own right, after watching enough of boots of the 2006 shows compared to the 2002 shows, I enjoy Bucket's guitar work far more. Both shred, but to my ears, Bucket' seems to have far more melody. Nightrain 2002 pretty much blows away Nightrain 2006 every single time. I have about 7 different versions of Nightrain 2002 and every solo of Bucket's on those shows are different and great variations of Slash's original solos.

As far as him getting dogged for his image, let me ask you this guys. Who looks cool in the new band now aside from Axl. I mean really be honest with yourselves. We went from the AFD lineup of badasses to an emo rhythm guitarist, another guitarist who resembles Jesus and wears a trashbag and white tights, a whiny checkered pants wearing bassist...need I go on? This is no rag-tag badass rock n roll outlaw group like the AFD lineup. In fact the new band's predecessors are older yet still look cooler.

Bashing BH purely on image is a very superficial and rather silly attempt to discredit his enormous contribution to New GnR. He was the next best thing to Slash.

Edited by SylvesterStallone

I listen to that heavy bridge in Better and wonder what else Bucket and Axl might've cooked up together in the studio. Buckethead can really rock, and there might be some heavier rock songs that can stand up against previous GnR work like You Could Be Mine.

We haven't heard anything yet that is really just an Axl/Bucket song. In all the leaks, Bucket just seems to have a guitar part that's been stuck into an existing song. That's how it sounds, at least.

I want an Axl/Bucket song!

Yeah buckethead looked like a freak and that weird nunchuks thing/handing out dolls was pathetic. Plus the star wars thing? Fuck off you geek.

So not a good start... but you have to admit when he plays, he is extremely talented.

The problem is - and this IS the problem the image etc... can be looked passed - he didn't fit in with the band and the band did not gel well because of it.

If you watch any concert fom 2002 and any concert from 2006 you can see how much the band is enjoying themselves and how much better they sound because of it. All the band smile and look like they want to be there, and feel like they should be there - including, and most importantly, Axl.

Buckethead can be the best guitarist in the world, but if his being there turns GnR into individuals playing on stage instead of a band then he can fuck off, and stay fucked off.

I can't believe when you've seen how well the Euro tour went (despite difficulties along the way) and how well everyone performed, that some of you want Bucket back?!! I largely blame him being there in 2002 for the chemistry being non-existant, the general mood in the band being poor, and the fact the whole thing fucked up on Bucket.

Now on to Ron Thal.... they guy is great, he has the ability to "shred" and he has the ability to do so much more. More importantly he fits into the band great, everyone seems to enjoy having him there and the band is a band again. Plus he looks the part. For everyone saying "buckets image is irrelevant" then tell me this - would Izzy have joined the 2002 line-up on stage? Would he fuck. Even he knows they look the part now.

They tried it with bucket in the band, and it didn't work. Let's see if they get the album out and complete the tour with Ron in the band. Then you'll have your answer as to who is right, and the better guitarist for GnR.

Nothing is proven at the minute, but for me it's already been better than 2002 so looks like Ron will be the winner...

LP

1. youre an idiot.

3. his solo albums are great, he is a brilliant songwriter and guitarist. colma is one of my favourite albums ever.

4. i would like to see him with gnr. he is a good contrast. i could stare in awe at him for hours.

5. youre an idiot.

So I take it that you swallow also?

Buckethead was a scared tiny little man who made GNR look like a fools band. Chickens? How far down could GnR fall before it hit the bottom? Souless music.. psuedocomputerized music.... amazingly technical music. Send the fucker back to the coop...He was a s unreliable as Slash was when he was strung out. You could have had a midget and a transexual and a Fat bearded lady up there on stage too and my reaction would have been about the same.

Edited by rockerman

I listen to that heavy bridge in Better and wonder what else Bucket and Axl might've cooked up together in the studio. Buckethead can really rock, and there might be some heavier rock songs that can stand up against previous GnR work like You Could Be Mine.

We haven't heard anything yet that is really just an Axl/Bucket song. In all the leaks, Bucket just seems to have a guitar part that's been stuck into an existing song. That's how it sounds, at least.

I want an Axl/Bucket song!

Agreed. I think when fans and critics here the work that Bucket has done on 'Chinese Democracy' there will be an overwhelming amount of people wanting him back. I really hope that Buckethead does rejoin GN'R because aside from Axl it makes another 'larger-than-life' personality in the band.

KTH pretty much hit the nail on the head. Buckethead was a phenomenally talented guitarist and he will be sorely missed. While Ron Thal is amazing in his own right, after watching enough of boots of the 2006 shows compared to the 2002 shows, I enjoy Bucket's guitar work far more. Both shred, but to my ears, Bucket' seems to have far more melody. Nightrain 2002 pretty much blows away Nightrain 2006 every single time. I have about 7 different versions of Nightrain 2002 and every solo of Bucket's on those shows are different and great variations of Slash's original solos.

Yes, it's true. Buckethead had much more melody in his solos. Ron is really cool, but he shreds way too much.

-Kickingthehabit

Yup, real shame.

BTW-- Ozzy Osbourne turned him away because he wouldn't take off his mask and called him a 'freak'. OZZY FUCKING OSBOURNE.

Case closed.

-Kickingthehabit

Yup, real shame.

BTW-- Ozzy Osbourne turned him away because he wouldn't take off his mask and called him a 'freak'. OZZY FUCKING OSBOURNE.

Case closed.

Agreed. Wow, I agreed with Kickingthehabit, a first? ;)

He's the best guitarist ever imho, his talent is just, supreme.

1. youre an idiot.

5. youre an idiot.

rock3 Agree . Rockerman is a fucking stupid idiot. Buckethead was the best guitarist that GN'R ever had and i'm big fan of Slash. I don't care if Ron is a nice guy. I'm not fan of Axl because he is a nice guy (he is'nt), i love his music, thats all.

Edited by Kurwa