"RANT: Welcome To The Jungle - Axl Rose Commits Career Suicide"

josh223

RANT: Welcome To The Jungle - Axl Rose Commits Career Suicide

By J.P. Gorman: 2006-12-03

The personal excess of some of rock ‘n’ roll’s biggest artists has long been one of its most honored traditions.

Chuck Berry, seen by many as the godfather of the genre, turned out to be the dirtiest old man in the hemisphere, with a videotape collection to prove it. Led Zeppelin, among the all-time heroes of hard rock, re-wrote the rule book, using a mud shark on a groupie in ways God himself never imagined possible. The Who drummer Keith Moon started the practice of nailing hotel room furniture to the ceiling. Van Halen used to not ask, but demand the absence of brown M&Ms in backstage candy dishes. And Ozzy Osbourne once snorted a line of live ants off truck stop blacktop to impress the boys from Motley Crue.

Within the past year, one artist has set a new precedent for ridiculous personal behavior. His actions, however, haven’t tended toward the debauched and legendary, but rather the desperate, the unstable, and the altogether sad. His name is Axl Rose, and he is actively submarining his public persona in ways no one could have envisioned in Guns N’ Roses’ late-80s heyday. An artist, who once struck such an iconic pose for so many hard rock fans, has blown up the self-parody scale and ventured down an unfortunate road normally reserved for former child stars named Corey.

His current band is a mess—a reconstructed, revolving door that basically serves as the most legitimate GnR cover band in America today. The only thing tying this current line-up to the band behind Appetite for Destruction and the Use Your Illusion discs is Axl himself, and even he isn’t the same guy he once was, now botoxed and cornrowed. You can’t judge this book by its cover, though: As bad as Mr. Rose looks (and he does look awful, like an alien prototype rejected during pre-production on Independence Day), his actions have been all the more grotesque.

It started a few months ago, when GnR played a concert and Axl decided to let someone else sing; so much for giving his fans their wasted money’s worth. Early last month, he walked out on a show in Maine following the discovery of laws prohibiting the band from drinking during a concert. This past week, he reached a new low, denigrating opening band Eagles of Death Metal from the stage shortly after they performed—publicly throwing them off the tour before having his road manager sheepishly apologize and beg them to stick around.

In a story reported on NME, during a show at Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena, Rose took the stage venting about the opener, branding them “the Pigeons of S**t Metal” and vowing to kick them off the tour. In response, GnR bass player Tommy Stinson, not the most reasonable fellow himself, threw down his bass and said, "F**k you, that’s it," before storming off stage. Axl responded by picking up the former Replacement’s bass and hurling it at him as he left.

Eagles of Death Metal leader Jesse Hughes explained: “Axl Rose is f**king out of his mind. He wasn't even there when we played. He got there about 30 minutes after we got done playing. He waltzed on to the stage and went nuts…By the end of the night that guy had caused a giant uproar. It was like a total mutiny on the part of his band and everyone. I could hear screaming in the dressing room…

"Then at 4am, our tour manager gets a phone call which essentially amounted to, ‘Axl's thought about it, he thought you guys were a band getting shoved on his tour from the label. He's really sorry and you're more than welcome to finish the tour.’ When my manager told me that, I just said, ‘You can tell that motherf**ker to go and f**k himself because I will never go through that again.’”

And the long, ugly fall from grace continues. The band’s new album, Chinese Democracy, in the works for the better part of eight years, is slated to come out sometime between now and the end of the universe. How can anyone take him seriously anymore? Aside from the perverted amusement the average person gets from watching the mighty fall, especially in such an insane manner, I can think of no reason anyone would spend hard-earned money on this joke.

If you are an old-school GnR fan looking forward to seeing your old hero in action, here’s what you should do: take the hundred dollars you would spend on a ticket, crumple it into a tiny little ball, and throw it down a sewer. Next, punch yourself as hard as you can in the stomach. Once you’ve recovered your wind but before the sickening pain subsides, go home, take out your old jean jacket and tight pants from twenty years ago and put them on. Tie your bandana tight around your head, restricting as much blood flow to your brain as possible. Put on Appetite for Destruction. Listen to “Paradise City.” Remember the good old days long since passed. Cry yourself to sleep.

In his own cartoonish way, Axl Rose is highlighting the descent into insanity and irrelevance that we can all look forward to. Here's hoping, when that time comes, that we can show a little more tact, decency, and sense of responsibility to ourselves and the lives we’ve led above all else.

Who would have ever guessed that Scott Weiland would bring stability to the lives and careers of Slash and Duff? What a disaster.

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/music/RANT-Welc...icide-1880.html

Another article written by a schlock journalist.

Tell me - what would you have said if he had praised him?

I don't agree with all of this journalist's views, but he has a right to an opinion, and just because he isn't a fanboy doesn't mean he is automatically a "shlock journalist." It just means he doesn't share the same appreciation for this band that you do. That's all.

Axl Rose is highlighting the descent into insanity and irrelevance that we can all look forward to. Here's hoping, when that time comes, that we can show a little more tact, decency, and sense of responsibility to ourselves and the lives we’ve led above all else.

.......Or maybe he is just partying and touring with a band and doing whatever he wants cause there is still a market for his timeless music.

It just seems so funny, that journalist proboboly makes like 30k a year and Axl and other aging rock stars can make that in a personal appearance, yet he labels Axl's career suicide. Looks pretty go from where I am standing (or sitting).

Some people will never get it. Axl is just a guy making money and fucking around, which is what we all wanna do. I dont see why touring the country with 2 1/2 hour shows for a million people is indecent.

The album? Who fucking cares, it will come when it comes, and if he releases it next year , that doesnt make him irelevant, just tardy. And if people dont buy it, then that is on Axl, and is disrepectful to umm...nobody.

see ya at thr shows rock1

Oh my!

:sleeper:

I saw this one earlier and was going to post it then I realized they couldn't even find a less than 4 and a half year old picture of Axl and their stupid site was filled with spam ads and looked like something no one in their right mind would take seriously anyway.

Not to mention it's lacking the most important content-the goddamn MUSIC. I mean, why would a legit article want to discuss MUSIC when you can discuss Axl's braids and weight? :rolleyes:

I don't agree with all of this journalist's views, but he has a right to an opinion, and just because he isn't a fanboy doesn't mean he is automatically a "shlock journalist." It just means he doesn't share the same appreciation for this band that you do. That's all.

It's not an opinion, it's a fuckin' cheap shot based on vague stories, which have been dismissed by none other than Tommy Stinson etc...

it's horrible journalism, nothing more, nothing less!!! and so i think the schlock journalist comment is very legit...

i agree tho, you'd have to suck axl's dick pretty hard to get slamed for it around here, but then again, this is a place for gn'r fans so obviousley....

Then you're even a bigger asshole than this so called journalist, since this piece of shit article contains more untrue facts than the Kennedy murder. Every REAL GNR fan would notice. They even put up that terrrible picture of Axl during the 2002 VMA awards. And we all know he doesn't look like that anymore.

The personal excess of some of rock ‘n’ roll’s biggest artists has long been one of its most honored traditions.

Chuck Berry, seen by many as the godfather of the genre, turned out to be the dirtiest old man in the hemisphere, with a videotape collection to prove it. Led Zeppelin, among the all-time heroes of hard rock, re-wrote the rule book, using a mud shark on a groupie in ways God himself never imagined possible. The Who drummer Keith Moon started the practice of nailing hotel room furniture to the ceiling. Van Halen used to not ask, but demand the absence of brown M&Ms in backstage candy dishes. And Ozzy Osbourne once snorted a line of live ants off truck stop blacktop to impress the boys from Motley Crue.

Within the past year, one artist has set a new precedent for ridiculous personal behavior. His actions, however, haven’t tended toward the debauched and legendary, but rather the desperate, the unstable, and the altogether sad. His name is Axl Rose, and he is actively submarining his public persona in ways no one could have envisioned in Guns N’ Roses’ late-80s heyday. An artist, who once struck such an iconic pose for so many hard rock fans, has blown up the self-parody scale and ventured down an unfortunate road normally reserved for former child stars named Corey.

His current band is a mess—a reconstructed, revolving door that basically serves as the most legitimate GnR cover band in America today. The only thing tying this current line-up to the band behind Appetite for Destruction and the Use Your Illusion discs is Axl himself, and even he isn’t the same guy he once was, now botoxed and cornrowed. You can’t judge this book by its cover, though: As bad as Mr. Rose looks (and he does look awful, like an alien prototype rejected during pre-production on Independence Day), his actions have been all the more grotesque.

It started a few months ago, when GnR played a concert and Axl decided to let someone else sing; so much for giving his fans their wasted money’s worth. Early last month, he walked out on a show in Maine following the discovery of laws prohibiting the band from drinking during a concert. This past week, he reached a new low, denigrating opening band Eagles of Death Metal from the stage shortly after they performed—publicly throwing them off the tour before having his road manager sheepishly apologize and beg them to stick around.

In a story reported on NME, during a show at Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena, Rose took the stage venting about the opener, branding them “the Pigeons of S**t Metal” and vowing to kick them off the tour. In response, GnR bass player Tommy Stinson, not the most reasonable fellow himself, threw down his bass and said, "F**k you, that’s it," before storming off stage. Axl responded by picking up the former Replacement’s bass and hurling it at him as he left.

Eagles of Death Metal leader Jesse Hughes explained: “Axl Rose is f**king out of his mind. He wasn't even there when we played. He got there about 30 minutes after we got done playing. He waltzed on to the stage and went nuts…By the end of the night that guy had caused a giant uproar. It was like a total mutiny on the part of his band and everyone. I could hear screaming in the dressing room…

"Then at 4am, our tour manager gets a phone call which essentially amounted to, ‘Axl's thought about it, he thought you guys were a band getting shoved on his tour from the label. He's really sorry and you're more than welcome to finish the tour.’ When my manager told me that, I just said, ‘You can tell that motherf**ker to go and f**k himself because I will never go through that again.’”

And the long, ugly fall from grace continues. The band’s new album, Chinese Democracy, in the works for the better part of eight years, is slated to come out sometime between now and the end of the universe. How can anyone take him seriously anymore? Aside from the perverted amusement the average person gets from watching the mighty fall, especially in such an insane manner, I can think of no reason anyone would spend hard-earned money on this joke.

If you are an old-school GnR fan looking forward to seeing your old hero in action, here’s what you should do: take the hundred dollars you would spend on a ticket, crumple it into a tiny little ball, and throw it down a sewer. Next, punch yourself as hard as you can in the stomach. Once you’ve recovered your wind but before the sickening pain subsides, go home, take out your old jean jacket and tight pants from twenty years ago and put them on. Tie your bandana tight around your head, restricting as much blood flow to your brain as possible. Put on Appetite for Destruction. Listen to “Paradise City.” Remember the good old days long since passed. Cry yourself to sleep.

In his own cartoonish way, Axl Rose is highlighting the descent into insanity and irrelevance that we can all look forward to. Here's hoping, when that time comes, that we can show a little more tact, decency, and sense of responsibility to ourselves and the lives we’ve led above all else.

Who would have ever guessed that Scott Weiland would bring stability to the lives and careers of Slash and Duff? What a disaster.

Obviously a friend to Eagles of Death Shit Metal! The worst review i've ever read, and not because he was saying bad thing about Axl and the Band, but because it wasn't a review on music or the show, it was a personal attack hidden behind a review, what a sad twat!

LIZ

I think Axl look great. :(

EDIT*

As bad as Mr. Rose looks (and he does look awful, like an alien prototype rejected during pre-production on Independence Day), his actions have been all the more grotesque.

Shit :rolleyes:

Then you're even a bigger asshole than this so called journalist, since this piece of shit article contains more untrue facts than the Kennedy murder. Every REAL GNR fan would notice. They even put up that terrrible picture of Axl during the 2002 VMA awards. And we all know he doesn't look like that anymore.

Exactly! That was the thing that gave me the strongest reaction of this shit. The writer lost all his cred with that.

Edited by shootingstar

Correct.

Correct.

Yeah but the article is only voicing one side of the story, therefore is inconclusive, also the writer is personally attacking axl rose therefore this article is biased and probably untrue, its amazing how alleged bullshit spreads, huh?

Surely a journalist, albeit a good one, will put his/her opinions aside, and concentrate on the facts.

Edited by Let And Let Live

What a piece of shit. He obviously doesn't even know what he's talking about since he said that Tommy threw his base down, which has already been proven untrue by the fans who were there and by the band. This is ridiculous.. sounds like one of the fucking pigeons wrote this crap. :anger:

Also Axl does not look bad, 2002 maybe, but he looks great now. Its so rude how people pick on his looks anyway. :fuckyou:

jpgorman.jpg What a fag.

Edited by Appetite 4 Axl

Yeah.....but what's your point? :unsure:

Correct.

Yeah but the article is only voicing one side of the story, therefore is inconclusive, also the writer is personally attacking axl rose therefore this article is biased and probably untrue, its amazing how alleged bullshit spreads, huh?

Surely a journalist, albeit a good one, will put his/her opionions aside, and concentrate on the facts.

Of course it's inconclusive - it's an opinion piece. "Personally attacking Axl Rose"? Hmm, I don't think so. It isn't the first time, I'd wager, that he has written something derogatory about someone. Some journalists deal in extremes.

"Therefore this article is biased" - of course it is! He clearly dislikes Axl Rose. No one reading this is going to come away thinking it's a balanced and objective news article. That's not what it's meant to be.

And when this was written, Tommy hadn't refuted any of the claims about throwing his bass.

And at this point, there's still no "conclusive evidence" that he did or didn't. The only thing we have to go by is what Tommy said. But at this point in the game I don't even know if I can believe this band 100%. That's a shame but the EODM's story seems to "match up" pretty well with everyone else.

^ My two cents.