Taking bets on what comes out first: Libertad or Chinese Democracy

radioflyer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Chinese Democracy will be far superior to anything VR can put out

We have already heard at least half of the new album in the songs they have played live. Unless the other half we haven't heard are the far superior to what we have heard, Axl has wasted the past 10 years. People can have their opinions on how strong they feel the new material is vs. the VR stuff, but it is pretty safe to say that it is not 10 years better if what we have heard of the new GNR is their best stuff. Some (not all) of the new GNR stuff is really strong, but hardly going to set off a rock n' roll revolution. We had just better hope there are some serious gems in the vault if we ever actually hear another Axl album, otherwise he has done alot of damage to his legacy for really no reason.

We have already heard at least half of the new album in the songs they have played live. Unless the other half we haven't heard are the far superior to what we have heard, Axl has wasted the past 10 years. People can have their opinions on how strong they feel the new material is vs. the VR stuff, but it is pretty safe to say that it is not 10 years better if what we have heard of the new GNR is their best stuff. Some (not all) of the new GNR stuff is really strong, but hardly going to set off a rock n' roll revolution. We had just better hope there are some serious gems in the vault if we ever actually hear another Axl album, otherwise he has done alot of damage to his legacy for really no reason.

Dude, Rolling Stone said that the demos were BETTER than anything that VR put out - and they are just demos.;

So either way, it's win win.

Velvet Revolver will release their second album by May, 2007 - and Guns n' Roses (Axl and The Junkyard Gang) will NOT release shit in 2007.

Scott Weiland is a complete mess - but Axl is worse in so many ways at this point. No band has let me down like Guns n' Roses - man, I loved them and what the name Guns n' Roses USED To stand for.

So, here it is: Who thinks that Velvet Revolver will have their second album in three years out by mid-2007, while Guns n' Roses will still not release their new album after a wait of 16 years for new material? (Spaghetti Incident was a covers album).

The problem is that the anticipation on Chinese Democracy, after all this time, is so unreleasistic that if it fell short of "Appetite", or even Pink Floyd's "The Wall" or The Beatles "Sgt.Pepper", then people will say that it sucks. Axl has really brought this too far - and we have all heard the leaked tracks: and let's be HONEST - it's "OK". I personally don't like hearing drum machines on GNR songs.

Dead horse... anybody?

I second that! Who the hell cares, If I wanna listen to 80's metal I will just listen to hair nation on sirius, why go buy another cd. rock1

Dude, Rolling Stone said that the demos were BETTER than anything that VR put out - and they are just demos.;

So you let Rolling Stone form your opinions on music?

They gave Contraband 4.5/5 stars when they reviewed it in 2004.

It was hyperbole. None of the leaks are clearly better than anything on Contraband except The Blues and CITR.

Velvet Revolver will release their second album by May, 2007 - and Guns n' Roses (Axl and The Junkyard Gang) will NOT release shit in 2007.

Scott Weiland is a complete mess - but Axl is worse in so many ways at this point. No band has let me down like Guns n' Roses - man, I loved them and what the name Guns n' Roses USED To stand for.

So, here it is: Who thinks that Velvet Revolver will have their second album in three years out by mid-2007, while Guns n' Roses will still not release their new album after a wait of 16 years for new material? (Spaghetti Incident was a covers album).

The problem is that the anticipation on Chinese Democracy, after all this time, is so unreleasistic that if it fell short of "Appetite", or even Pink Floyd's "The Wall" or The Beatles "Sgt.Pepper", then people will say that it sucks. Axl has really brought this too far - and we have all heard the leaked tracks: and let's be HONEST - it's "OK". I personally don't like hearing drum machines on GNR songs.

Dead horse... anybody?

I second that! Who the hell cares, If I wanna listen to 80's metal I will just listen to hair nation on sirius, why go buy another cd. rock1

Or you could buy a ticket for the Chinese Democracy World Tour (2.0). I hear they do quite the nostalgia show for fans of AFD.

I did already and will a few more times this year. And you are right, it is a great show. Nastalgia, mixed with some new stuff 20% or so, and high energy. It is a great experiance. Thanks rock1 for reminding me.

Edited by Gunzen

Or you could buy a ticket for the Chinese Democracy World Tour (2.0). I hear they do quite the nostalgia show for fans of AFD.

Don't forget the Sebastian Bach show, or the strippers, or those awesome pyrotechnics! I can hear the 80's mullets bouncing from here!

Libertad will come first. And it will rock. B)

Don't forget the Sebastian Bach show, or the strippers, or those awesome pyrotechnics! I can hear the 80's mullets bouncing from here!

Libertad will come first. And it will rock. B)

do you think it will be better than the music you have heard from Chinese Democracy so far? Do you really believe that?

Edited by Gunzen

do you think it will be better than the music you have heard from Chinese Democracy so far? Do you really believe that?

Yeah. Though I'd much prefer to have both.

I do actually like Axl's new stuff. Better and Chinese Democracy mainly. Occasionaly The Blues. IRS is ok.

k, fair enough. One more question. Do you go to a VR forum and post regularly?

We are actually all the big losers in the V.R vs. New GNR debate because the simple fact is that NEITHER band has made any music so far better than the old line-up's best material. So it is kind of like trading in a Ferrari for 2 Corvettes. Doesn't mean they are both not fast cars, but they aren't going to beat a Ferrari in a race.

I do occasionally post at VR's belowempty board, but not a lot. I prefer the VR section of this board.

Well, here to hoping they drop a huge album someday, tour Austrailia, so you can see why I am so damn blind, cause after seeing him this year, I justcant get negative dude. I empathize with you guys, but I just cant wait till next week.

That was ONE writer from Rolling Stone who gave that opinion. I'll bet he was pretty damn appreciative he got to hear it, too--not that that necessarily means it clouded his opinion.

But since you're really into what Rolling Stone has to say, here's the first paragraph from their Contraband review:

"Before you start cracking wise about out-of-work refugees from multiplatinum bands or rock stars with drug problems and arrest records -- as if we haven't seen a few of them in the last half-century -- consider this: Singer Scott Weiland, late of Stone Temple Pilots, and the ex-Guns n' Roses trio of guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum have, with second guitarist Dave Kushner, gotten more done in one year as Velvet Revolver than Axl Rose has achieved with his version of G n' R in the past decade. If nothing else, banging your head to Contraband's snarling update of Eighties Sunset Strip rock classicism is a lot better than laying around waiting for the mythical Chinese Democracy."

It's pointless enough comparing albums, let alone leaks to albums. Different bands, different music...

Alex?

It was a Jeopardy! reference as in Alex Trebek. Bad joke, I know.

No, it was a great joke, partly because they didn't get it.

Yeah that's how I feel. I think the only real gem we've heard yet is IRS, it has a very evocative feel and I love how Axl sings it. Everything else is kinda bleh, Madagascar's good.

I believe Libertad will be released. Chinese Democracy will probably never be released. It's a bummer but oh well. If by any chance it is released, Libertad will be first. I don't know which will be superior though.

I believe IRS to be the worst of the new songs released by GNR though. It's a stupid song to me. But I believe Catcher in the Rye, Better, and TWAT make up for it. I have one in my head right after I hear it.

Both CDs will come out on the same day and alot of people would buy both of them. I could see GNR, the label, and management doing this if only to try to beat VR. Plus I believe that summer is the best time to release an album anyway. It would be good marketing to release CD at the same time as Libertad because the media would eat it up and ensure people knew about it without having to blow tonnes of cash on marketing (which I'm sure Universal is intent on seeing as how much they have invested in CD)