QUEEN

Opax

Queen was one of the first to do concept albums.

"A Night At The Opera" is awesome. Every song on that album rocks, and the different changes in sound, tempo, pitch and rhythm from one song to the next are truly amazing. Yet, the songs flow from one to the next.

After that, I'd suggest the albums "Sheer Heart Attack" and "A Day At The Races."

If you just want to listen to individual songs -- then I'd recommend "Killer Queen," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Somebody to Love," "We Are The Champions," "You're My Best Friend," "Love of my Life," "39," "Death on Two Legs," and "Now I'm Here."

sorry madi, but queen is hardly one of the first to do concept albums...

concept albums have been going on since the fifties or even beyond that...woodie gutherie was one of the first i think, i don't know, check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_albums

everything else you said is correct...i am privvy to Queen II and Innuendo at the moment

good albums :heart:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a long time Rock N Roll fan .

Well, theres your problem, Queen for the most part inst very rock n roll.

Theyre a good band and I like some of theyre songs, Freddy was a fucking Legend. But for the most part I think theyre pretty damn cheesey.

Edited by sweetness

I'm a long time Rock N Roll fan .

Well, theres your problem, Queen for the most part inst very rock n roll.

Theyre a good band and I like some of theyre songs, Freddy was a fucking Legend. But for the most part I think theyre pretty damn cheesey.

Ah yes you're probably right.

Too all others that replied, thank you, I have taken on board a few of your comments and have experienced a few new Queen songs that I'd never heard before.

Unfortunatly I still don't really like them, probably because they are more of a pop act than anything else. It may comfort/annoy you to know I also dislike Metallica, Nirvana and Oasis. So I guess taste is just taste.

Oh I do like Guns N' Roses though. Im sure we can all agree on that!

Edited by Opax

• 5 months later...
I'm a long time Rock N Roll fan but have never been able to get into Queen. Always believing there music to be impossible to take seriously.

Could someone give me pointers on where to start.

I wouldn't worry about it.

You're missing nothing. They're shit =]

xDSGx

Yeah I don't get it either. I like some of the songs but always want them to be played grittier. I just like something a little harder. I would get it more if they were just joking around.

Under Pressure is classic tho. Maybe I should check out there last album. I sort of like Show Must Go On, These Are The Days of Our Lives...I prefer Def Leppard.

I'm a long time Rock N Roll fan but have never been able to get into Queen. Always believing there music to be impossible to take seriously.

xDSGx

That's a pretty shite opinion you have there.

xDSGx

To each his (or her) own :)

I've never really liked 'em. I just can't seem to find any redeeming qualities. Don't get me wrong, I respect them musically. Its just not my thing.

xDSGx

xDSGx

I've never really liked 'em. I just can't seem to find any redeeming qualities. Don't get me wrong, I respect them musically. Its just not my thing.

xDSGx

That's a better phrasing :)

On topic- I love Queen...If you don't then who cares? If it's not your thing then don't force it

xDSGx

xDSGx

That's more like a reason. :)

They were just an insanely diverse and creative band that weren't afraid to meddle in strange territory. For the most part, it's people with macho mentality who are initially turned off by their operatic, glam, musical-like style. They could also kick some serious ass, though. 'Stone Cold Crazy' is widely regarded as the first speed-metal song and it had a massive influence on Metallica and other major thrash metal acts of the 80's.

Honestly, it doesn't get much better than The Holy Trinity of Queen. I'm talking about Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, and A Night at the Opera. Bombastic, complex production; songs packed with countless melodies that a lesser band can build a whole career on; unique and completely original performances by Mercury and May; it's all there to melt your face and beat you into submission.